Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fecks sake I changed my hiking plans yesterday based on Met Eireanns forecast at 9pm, they said it would be pissing rain in Wicklow and the 5 day animation said it would be yellow levels of rain on Bray by 12pm lasting all evening, its been a fine sunny day all day, no sign of even a shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Was absolutley bucketing down here all morning but seems to have stopped now. So much for met eireann forecasting small amounts of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thargor wrote: »
    Fecks sake I changed my hiking plans yesterday based on Met Eireanns forecast at 9pm, they said it would be pissing rain in Wicklow and the 5 day animation said it would be yellow levels of rain on Bray by 12pm lasting all evening, its been a fine sunny day all day, no sign of even a shower.

363102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Trust Met Eireanns Short Range forecast and Netweather for all your Wicklow Hiking needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

You forgot to take into account the 'Bray Micro-Climate' ™ ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's supposed to be dry for the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's supposed to be dry for the next week.

Yep you are correct. An area of high pressure is expected to bring drier conditions right into the start of October keeping any weather fronts in the Atlantic and only flirting the northwest of Scotland, nowhere in Ireland. Not only that! Unlike the first time back at the start when the high was to the east of Ireland and it brought cold temperatures, it is gonna be to the east of the UK this time bringing air from the south and higher temperatures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Oh im sure we will have fronts brushing along the north west coast, high pressure or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Ya just watched weather forecast on RTE. Looks good for the next week but a bit of weather off the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Can't wait! Today was far too chilly in the wind for my liking.

ECM0-120.GIF?24-0

• Advertisement

Can't wait! Today was far too chilly in the wind for my liking.

ECM0-120.GIF?24-0

The wind was nothing here! It felt like a Summer day!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Highest pressure ever recorded in Ireland for the month of September is 1041, for October it's 1043.

0Z GEM :

FSl3Lla.gif

Highest pressure ever recorded in Ireland for the month of September is 1041, for October it's 1043.

0Z GEM :

FSl3Lla.gif

The highest pressures for any month in Ireland can be seen here btw http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-extremes.asp

Accumulated rainfall for the next 192 hours. Pretty much bone dry with a tiny bit of coastal mist/drizzle in places later on.

N1Qju2p.gif

+15 uppers on Tuesday! Pity it's not in the middle of summer.

ECU0-48_ozo9.GIF

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

September as usual proving to be one of the warmest and driest months of the year! Apart from 2 wet days so far this month has been very good. This weekend has been one of the best weekends of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Bah we have had 155.7mm of rain this month in Castlebar, making it nearly 450mm of rain in the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gonzo wrote: »
    September as usual proving to be one of the warmest and driest months of the year! Apart from 2 wet days so far this month has been very good. This weekend has been one of the best weekends of the year.
    Sorry for nitpicking but I have to disagree, mean temps at Dublin Airport (our location) for Sept is only 11.9c which is a degree and a half below normal. This is because of low daytime temps rather than night. Has anywhere reached 20c this month? I am certain it hasn't.

Sorry for nitpicking but I have to disagree, mean temps at Dublin Airport (our location) for Sept is only 11.9c which is a degree and a half below normal. This is because of low daytime temps rather than night. Has anywhere reached 20c this month? I am certain it hasn't.

I reached 20.1c on the 8th around 14:00 due to how strong the sun was but I don't agree with this max. temperature as read on the thermometer. The only Septembers I haven't reached 20c so far are 1986, 1993, 1994, 2008 and 2009.

Gonzo wrote: »

September has been my third wettest month this year. It has been my coldest month so far at my coldest September on record. Temperatures should be around 18c for the next few days which will help the mean temperature to rise, hopefully. I have a deviation of average with -2.4c below normal, 1986 was -2.3c below normal (my current coldest September on record).

Recent records show though for maximum temperature wise, it has been my coldest September since 2008. Rainfall wise, it has been my wettest September since 1999. Sunshine wise, it has been my sunniest September since 2010 and I am expecting to it to go up to 125% of normal by the 30th. Right now it is at 92% of normal. So sorry bud, I have to disagree with you on saying that it has been one of the warmest and driest months of the year. The 11th, 13th and 21st recorded nearly all of my rainfall however which was around 61mm. The other 4mm was recorded during the 1st-3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The nights are cold but most people don't really care about what its doing at 5 am.

Waterford City has been dry 19 days of 27 so far with only two days of real rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Has anywhere reached 20c this month? I am certain it hasn't.

It actually has. Mullingar, Claremorris, Belmullet & Athenry (the ones that I know of) all broke 20c on the 8th.

I'd not trust D.A averages to compare current mean temps for your area because the station has been moved around too often for any consistency. Phoenix Park data might be more representative; the currently anomaly there is -0.9c for Sept so far.

New Moon

This dry period is actually very similar to the one in 2009.

The one in 2009 happened from Sep 9th-Oct 5th (not counting Sep 21st and Oct 2nd as they were wet days). After the 9th of October, we had another dry spell until the 17th. I am saying it is very similar because during the period Sep 15th-16th, pressure fell at the south of the UK like it is gonna later this week. Though, good news for us, it won't have an effect of turning away our dry spell! :)

Guys what if this dry spell ends up with an extremely wet spell like the one in 2009.

September was a very dry month overall after a wet 8-day spell (21st was the other only wet day I recall). October started mainly dry (2nd, 6th and 9th three exceptions) but from the 18th onwards, it was much more unsettled. November was then the wettest on record and the wettest month in parts including Sherkin Island and Valentia Observatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Guys what if this dry spell ends up with an extremely wet spell like the one in 2009.

September was a very dry month overall after a wet 8-day spell (21st was the other only wet day I recall). October started mainly dry (2nd, 6th and 9th three exceptions) but from the 18th onwards, it was much more unsettled. November was then the wettest on record and the wettest month in parts including Sherkin Island and Valentia Observatory.

Whatever will be will be...

I expect a breakdown of the high during the middle of next week as an area of low pressure will come in but it is very uncertain when exactly. Wednesday is the most likely day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We had our two days of sun in Galway and today our indian summer is over already very foggy this morning and now total cloud cover im surprised the sun hasn't burned it away yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hooter23 wrote: »
    We had our two days of sun in Galway and today our indian summer is over already very foggy this morning and now total cloud cover im surprised the sun hasn't burned it away yet..

Here in west Clare it was foggy until around 12 (still a few patches around) and the clouds are burning off ATM with a fair few holes. Starting to get warm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dull cloudy and foggy in Castlebar up to an hour ago. clear blue skies now and warm sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Getting sunny and warmer now in Galway...

Advertisement