Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUTUMN WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL CHAT THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

EURO4 going for 105/110kph along the north Dublin coast by late morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Carnacalla wrote: »
    That'd want to be Gusts!

I was under the impression that Storm Abaigal wouldnt affect the east coast that severely, has that changed?

There is no Storm Abaigal yet. This is just the media once again being typically idiotic when it comes to the weather.

http://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/11/06/is-the-first-officially-named-storm-heading-towards-our-shores/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

December 1st is the start of the meteorological winter.

People talk about the meteorological winter - what other "winters" are there? I've always learned, apparently incorrectly, that Spring is FMA, Summer is MJJ, Autumn is ASO, and Winter is NDJ.

Obviously this is incorrect from a weather perspective, but where did that incorrect definition come from? I'm fairly certain I didn't just conjure it myself as a kid. There's a poem about February 2 being the beginning of Spring, after all.

Where did the discrepancy originate?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

People talk about the meteorological winter - what other "winters" are there? I've always learned, apparently incorrectly, that Spring is FMA, Summer is MJJ, Autumn is ASO, and Winter is NDJ.

Obviously this is incorrect from a weather perspective, but where did that incorrect definition come from? I'm fairly certain I didn't just conjure it myself as a kid. There's a poem about February 2 being the beginning of Spring, after all.

Since when were these months a part of the respective seasons? Everybody knows it is like this:

Spring - March, April & May
    Summer - June, July & August
    Autumn - September, October & November
    Winter - December, January & February

Why? Because Summer has the top warmest 3 months of the year and Winter has the top coldest 3 months of the year.

Astronomical winters begin on the winter solstice etc.

Different cultures and regions have different dates for winter for different reasons, lots about it here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter#Astronomical_and_other_calendar-based_reckoning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Since when were these months a part of the respective seasons? Everybody knows it is like this:

Spring - March, April & May
    Summer - June, July & August
    Autumn - September, October & November
    Winter - December, January & February

Why? Because Summer has the top warmest 3 months of the year and Winter has the top coldest 3 months of the year.

It's just the way I learned it when I was younger, that cultural seasons were one month ahead of what they actually are. Not sure why now tbh. Reckon maybe it's because August tends to have a bit of an Autumn feel with the beginning of the leaves turning brown, and May tends to be a ridiculously sunny and warm month in Ireland (whereas July and August can be downright rotten!)

As I say I know it's incorrect meteorologically, that's why I was asking if perhaps there were other ways of counting it rather than just having been entirely wrong throughout my childhood ;) Will have a look at that Wiki link now, sounds interesting either way.

EDIT: Aha! So I wasn't entirely wrong after all :D
    As per that wiki article:

In Celtic nations such as Ireland (using the Irish calendar) and in Scandinavia, the winter solstice is traditionally considered as midwinter, with the winter season beginning 1 November, on All Hallows, or Samhain. Winter ends and spring begins on Imbolc, or Candlemas, which is 1 or 2 February. This system of seasons is based on the length of days exclusively. (The three-month period of the shortest days and weakest solar radiation occurs during November, December and January in the Northern Hemisphere and May, June and July in the Southern Hemisphere.)

So there. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very scary sounding gusts and heavy ran just arrived in west Clare in the past 5 mins.

Very scary sounding gusts and heavy ran just arrived in west Clare in the past 5 mins.

Hailstones now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

A few nice gusts here in Newport Mayo, nothing to be concerned about anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's the cold front just pushing in from the west coast now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just hit a rain rate of 108mm/ph here. This front has big attitude. Very squally winds too.

New Moon

Power gone, probably as a result of the gusts. The signs are consistent with a fault in the line, eg a tree knocking down a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Power gone, probably as a result of the gusts. The signs are consistent with a fault in the line, eg a tree knocking down a line.
    Nothing showing up here yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

The high winds today has fairly ripped through the tress. A lot of leaves down overnight leaving the countryside looking very wintry.

Lumi wrote: »
    Nothing showing up here yet?

Nope, and its always my first port of call.

Edit: up now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Sun is out here in Castlebar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

update in wind warning for tonight until tomorrow morning
    STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry
    Strong to gale force south to southwest winds of mean speeds of 60 to 65km/h expected overnight with gusts to 90 to 100km/h in western and northwestern coastal counties.

Issued:Sunday 08 November 2015 12:00
    Valid:Monday 09 November 2015 00:01 to Monday 09 November 2015 09:00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Fairly windy outlook on the 12z.
    NW getting the brunt of it this week.
    90-289UK_iti4.GIF

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Fairly windy outlook on the 12z.
    NW getting the brunt of it this week.
    90-289UK_iti4.GIF

Looking like a more mobile period alright though nothing terribly interesting.

But ya don't have to look that far ahead. In the early hours of tomorrow there'll be some windy conditions along West/Northwest coasts.

arpegeuk-11-21-0_hft0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

The high winds today has fairly ripped through the tress. A lot of leaves down overnight leaving the countryside looking very wintry.
    Aye a lot of baldy trees around my way

• Advertisement

I'm surprised there isn't something stronger than a Yellow warning since Hirlam and Arpege are showing mean winds of 80-85 km/h on the west coast around 2-4am. Though admittedly that's only just on the exposed coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Notice it's stormy (gusting 40 knots), wet and 10C in Belmullet while a few miles inland (30??) in Knock it's clear 6C and very light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Notice it's stormy (gusting 40 knots), wet and 10C in Belmullet while a few miles inland (30??) in Knock it's clear 6C and very light breeze.

It has been calm and dry all evening in Castlebar.

Xenji wrote: »
    It has been calm and dry all evening in Castlebar.

Just checked the map...it's over 50 miles from Bellmullet to Knock - Mayo is a Big County! :)

and anyone living in Belmullet would certainly not regard 40 knots as stormy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I think the hanging baskets time is up.

and anyone living in Belmullet would certainly not regard 40 knots as stormy!

OK - then gale force....even Belmullians must obey the laws of Met Eireann.

Mace Head and Belmullet now gusting 46 knots

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very wild and wet night last night here, took ages to sleep with the noise of the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Sounds alot windier in Galway than I was expecting sure it was quiet and calm for so long maybe thats why its sounds worse

Advertisement