Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

ok so its settled then... a moped it is and the best rain suit money can buy

i forgot to mention 7 euro petrol ran it for the week. prices now are about 25c a litre more expensive now than then. all in all I am seriously considering it myself, the wife can walk :pac::pac::pac:

I was 18 on a first provisional that time.

A full car licence before October 2006 will give an automatic entitlement to category M.

I missed out by a year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭sporina

sporina wrote: »
    so renewal quote on the above is €686 - (€366 last year) - wtf?? It seems to be a trend. I spent a lot of man hours on this last year - don't wanna repeat it..

So I was with 25plus last year - female 30's 11 years NCB Toyota Yaris 01 1.2 ltr... any suggestions from anyone in the know or with similar circumstances?? thanks in advance.. I really don't have the time for endless shopping around and filling out quotes on line..

I know a lot of co's wont look at me due to the age of the car - I guess that narrows it down somewhat

Ok - been searching - my insurance last year was actually €336 fully comp with 25plus = not 366 as above - renewal is €686...

So I have been searching and went to a few brokers and the renewal quote is the best I can find (and its also the best value for money).
    The next best was Kennco @ €700.. the the AA between €562 - 695 depending on level of cover - and then Liberty - €933

any thoughts/recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ok - been searching - my insurance last year was actually €336 fully comp with 25plus = not 366 as above - renewal is €686...

So I have been searching and went to a few brokers and the renewal quote is the best I can find (and its also the best value for money).
    The next best was Kennco @ €700.. the the AA between €562 - 695 depending on level of cover - and then Liberty - €933

any thoughts/recommendations?

You are getting it cheap. I am paying the guts of a grand. I'm also in my 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Still seems excessive for 1.2.ltr yaris and max no claims bonus ,
    did you try Bank of Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

I suppose I have a 2 litre Turbo petrol WRX.

• Advertisement

You are getting it cheap. I am paying the guts of a grand. I'm also in my 30's.

other quotes are all in the €9++ figure - and some won't quote due to the age of the car.. I also have 2 penalty points (exceeded a 50 km speed limit) - I wonder how much of a diff that makes???

no i didn't - but i don't bank with them.. will try any suggestions though - thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 16 zboz

2 new Gibraltar based insurers are after setting up shop here
    Two Gibraltar-based insurance companies are poised to enter the motor insurance market, providing extra capacity at a time when the local industry is under investigation by competition watchdogs for alleged price fixing.

Patrona Underwriting, a local agent for insurers based abroad, confirmed on Friday that it had reached “a substantial capacity deal” with Gibraltar’s Alwyn Insurance, which is part of Arch Capital Group, a $9.5bn (€8.6bn) insurance provider based in Bermuda and listed in New York. The news came as another of Arch’s Gibraltar subsidiaries, Watford Insurance, is finalising a similar deal with Wrightway Underwriting, another Irish agent for overseas insurer

Are these the next 2 to take premiums for 18 months or so and then run away with all the money and leave people in the lurch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Unrated insurers have done well alright.

Re Setanta.

Re Enterprise.

If you buy yellow pack product then expect yellow pack results tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Rod Munch wrote: »
    As an underwriter this is something I think should get more attention.

The simplest and most effective one would be dash cams.

Say you fit a dash cam and it automatically gives you 10% off.

A tracker could give you another 5%.

I genuinely cannot understand why dash cams are not encouraged by insurers.

With the amount of low impact collisions that result in soft tissue damage (ie makey uppy try on claims) injuries, surely having concrete evidence that the impact couldn't possibly cause any physical injury would save an absolute fortune on the claims that are bogus.

I agree 100%

My younger sister, 22 had a crash before Christmas. The TOTAL damage for BOTH cars was 355+vat. That was for both cars, crash was she pulled out from parking sidewalk and other car kept driving as she pulled out and they hit sides.

All of a sudden, lady who was hit is now getting 15K min from insurance due to whiplash. Even the guard who filled the forms said it is not possible to do damage at that speed. Most of the repair costs was paintwork FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

allibastor wrote: »
    I agree 100%

My younger sister, 22 had a crash before Christmas. The TOTAL damage for BOTH cars was 355+vat. That was for both cars, crash was she pulled out from parking sidewalk and other car kept driving as she pulled out and they hit sides.

All of a sudden, lady who was hit is now getting 15K min from insurance due to whiplash. Even the guard who filled the forms said it is not possible to do damage at that speed. Most of the repair costs was paintwork FFS

Most insurance companies just pay out, they see solicitors as a major hassle and most witnesses won't be willing to testify in court against people claiming.

• Advertisement

JamboMac wrote: »
    Most insurance companies just pay out, they see solicitors as a major hassle and most witnesses won't be willing to testify in court against people claiming.

Ya but no.

You see that's all a ruse.

What insurers are doing is telling claimants to feign injury.

They do this on the quiet.

They "pay" the claimants €10k each and put the other €5k in the miscellaneous tab.

Every accident that happens they are gaining an extra €5k by charging every driver more for their insurance.

It really is a cunning plan though there are a few folk around here that are onto the scam.

These lads are better than Poiroit.

They have no evidence but have still figured out the Gordon Gekko level of misappropriation.

Serious lads on a treasure hunt they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Ya but no.

They "pay" the claimants €10k each and put the other €5k in the miscellaneous tab.

Every accident that happens they are gaining an extra €5k by charging every driver more for their insurance.

It really is a cunning plan though there are a few folk around here that are onto the scam.

They have no evidence but have still figured out the Gordon Gekko level of misappropriation.

Not sure about that,but i know the total claim was 21,,600
    15 for victim and 6.6 in solicitors fees

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ya but no.

Joke all you like, but along with the legal profession, the chancers and the lack of government action, your industry has helped to foster the parlous state of the insurance landscape in this country*. To deny it would be beyond daft. Question? How many claims are settled by the insurance industry without seeing a courtroom?

Blame the claim chancers all you like, but they wouldn't exist to nearly the same degree if vested interests weren't in play and the insurance companies fostered those vested interests for decades. This is not a recent thing. I knew three people who "got claims in" back in the 80's, with large payouts wangled on the steps of the courtroom. If it's all the fault of the legal industry and the government, your industry seems to have been monumentally passive in the face of it. But who suffers in the end? The rest of us.

*"Yellow pack" operators you reference, woefully bad investments during the "boom", lacklustre drive to push down claims, overwhelming tendency to settle out of court and a lack of transparency by private companies over a legally mandated product.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

While scoffing at "yellow pack" insurers is expected, most people just want the cheapest insurance possible as there is utterly no point making any claims for your own property unless you completely write off a new car. I'd love to see what percentage of claims are genuinely paid out for "appropriate reasons" that the insurance product was designed for and how much is for spurious claims such as whiplash? With the rate of whiplash in this country, it's a wonder we don't all walk around like quasimodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

06 Peugeot 406, 2 litre HDI
    35 years old
    10 years no claims (25 plus allow up to 10 years discount, or let you put in 10 years at least)
    3 penalty point

So far I've been quoted 1000 with current insurer, 25 plus. (increase of 300)
    2300 by Axa
    1350 by AA

I dread looking any further as 25 plus were by far the cheapest last year. I just can't get my head around those quotes. I was paying around 1300 10 years ago as a learner on my own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

givyjoe wrote:
    I dread looking any further as 25 plus were by far the cheapest last year.

I don't think there is any consistency in insurers year to year. Also huge range; I got quotes from 1,300 down to 500 this year, so keep at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,252 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm looking at renewals at the moment and it's scary how much each company differs, I've tried the usuals but I dunno I might just start up my own company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Autosport wrote: »
    I'm looking at renewals at the moment and it's scary how much each company differs, I've tried the usuals but I dunno I might just start up my own company

Interesting thought.. the people's insurance company. Maybe we can get one going with all the other posters here 😂

brain about to go up in flames

so renewal quote on the above is €686 - (€366 last year) - wtf?? It seems to be a trend. I spent a lot of man hours on this last year - don't wanna repeat it..

So I was with 25plus last year - female 30's 11 years NCB Toyota Yaris 01 1.2 ltr... any suggestions from anyone in the know or with similar circumstances?? thanks in advance.. I really don't have the time for endless shopping around and filling out quotes on line..

I know a lot of co's wont look at me due to the age of the car - I guess that narrows it down somewhat

So here is my update - after calling a few places and quotes on line and seeing a few brokers - I think I have it whittled down to these 2.

1. S25plus - 3rd party f&t - no window screen cover, break down assist and emerg. overnight accom; full NCB protection - Excess of €1050 (thats how they got my quote down to €527.. not bad from the original €686.. then

2. AA (AXA).. 3rd party f&t, window screen cover, emerg road side ass (had to get AA membership for this but it includes a few fuel card - 4c off every liter of fuel with Topaz. life time something or other (unlimited claims i think), step back protection on NCD, NO EXCESS. - quote (after much haggling) €519..

which would you go with?

PS if you need to avail of roadside assistance does that affect your NCP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So here is my update - after calling a few places and quotes on line and seeing a few brokers - I think I have it whittled down to these 2.

1. S25plus - 3rd party f&t - no window screen cover, break down assist and emerg. overnight accom; full NCB protection - Excess of €1050 (thats how they got my quote down to €527.. not bad from the original €686.. then

2. AA (AXA).. 3rd party f&t, window screen cover, emerg road side ass (had to get AA membership for this but it includes a few fuel card - 4c off every liter of fuel with Topaz. life time something or other (unlimited claims i think), step back protection on NCD, NO EXCESS. - quote (after much haggling) €519..

which would you go with?

Using the breakdown service wont effect your NCB, do you have to take a years AA breakdown supscription to get that quote?

Using the breakdown service wont effect your NCB, do you have to take a years AA breakdown supscription to get that quote?

thanks.. yep well to get break down assistance i had to get aa membership - and that includes the fuel card

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fearne123

Hi all,
    I am wondering how much of an impact the age and engine power of the car has on the quote? I am unemployed and live rather rural. I need transportation to get my kids to school and back, but I can't afford to pay over 500€ for insurance a year. I was down to a quote of 225€ in 2012 and it steadily went up to 460€ last year. I did not change my car (2005, 1.4l Petrol Ford) or had any accidents/claims ever (and I am driving for 25 years), but I am dreading my next renewal quote! Would it help to get a younger model car - perhaps with an even smaller engine? Or will I have to opt for the transportation of olden days, i.e. Horse & cart? Any insurance experts out there who give me a few tips? Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭arkrow

Fearne123 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am wondering how much of an impact the age and engine power of the car has on the quote? I am unemployed and live rather rural. I need transportation to get my kids to school and back, but I can't afford to pay over 500€ for insurance a year. I was down to a quote of 225€ in 2012 and it steadily went up to 460€ last year. I did not change my car (2005, 1.4l Petrol Ford) or had any accidents/claims ever (and I am driving for 25 years), but I am dreading my next renewal quote! Would it help to get a younger model car - perhaps with an even smaller engine? Or will I have to opt for the transportation of olden days, i.e. Horse & cart? Any insurance experts out there who give me a few tips? Thank you.
    You're ok for another while with the age of it before it turns into risky death trap over night according to some insurers and they won't quote you at all, but other than that they're pulling premium prices out of their asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i just quoted a new car i am looking at on my current insurer and i nearly fell off my chair when they quoted me a lower figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

irishgeo wrote: »
    i just quoted a new car i am looking at on my current insurer and i nearly fell off my chair when they quoted me a lower figure.

Pointless telling us the story without the vital part?

Give us the price man, the excitement is killing us :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,404 ✭✭✭irishgeo

KC161 wrote: »
    Pointless telling us the story without the vital part?

Give us the price man, the excitement is killing us :pac::pac::pac:

633 vs 603 . not a huge difference but it all helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Your Age: 24
    Car type and engine: 2010 VW Jetta 1.6
    Years driving: 6
    Any claims: None
    Price and provider: Kennco, €1,025

Was originally given a quote on my old car (on a 1.9 Golf TDI 2003 gone up only from €1,100 last year to €1,125) but having changed cars in the last month this is what I'm getting, fully comp. Trying to shop around but can't seem to get anything cheaper elsewhere.. Happy enough with the quote but can never seem to make the 'shopping around' work for me!

which would you go with?

ok - if there a significant difference between step back and full No Claims Bonus protection? As in, say the difference in price is €60 - but if one had a claim how much would that impact on price the following year - wither step back or full protection? Apparently there is a hike in price in renewal the following year if a claim is made, even if one has full protection..

what say those who know?

• Advertisement

ok - if there a significant difference between step back and full No Claims Bonus protection? As in, say the difference in price is €60 - but if one had a claim how much would that impact on price the following year - wither step back or full protection? Apparently there is a hike in price in renewal the following year if a claim is made, even if one has full protection..

what say those who know?

Personally I only buy the full protection.

If you have step back you are guaranteed that your premium will increase by 10% to 20% (depending on the company and their scale) in the event of a claim, as well as the standard rate increases. With full protection, in the event of a claim, you are not going to have an increase (apart from the standard rate increases)

If you can afford the €60 Id recommend it tbh.

Advertisement