Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Beagslife

Hadn't realised insurance costs have increased so much in the UK

Average car insurance cost in UK nears £1,000 after prices rise 58% | Car insurance | The Guardian

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I feel I have made a huge error taking out a new policy in my name on Thursday.

I haven’t had a policy in my own name since jan 23rd 2022. I had a full NCB.

i have been insured in my partners car for the last 2 years as a named driver since Covid as we only used one car.

when purchasing the policy online, I selected I had insurance in my own name as my most recent insurance as I interpreted this as most accurate, and so I could apply my NCB based on my last policy being within 2 year expiry of NCB.

however, now realise I should have selected named driving experience being my most recent insurance, while still being able to apply my NCB.

i sent off my NCB proof and insurance company (liberty) are now questioning what my most recent insurance policy was. Do you think they will amend my policy (if it incurs a premium increase that’s fine) or is it likely they will void the policy and blacklist me, which will cause me heartache? A genuine mistake that I can explain. Waiting to hear back from them Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I'd make direct contact with them, via email if possible outlining what you've said here. When is the policy due to start?

I already did explain via. Email yesterday PM. No response yet. I have not driven the car yet, it was commenced yesterday 19th. I plan to call Monday first thing.

this will really hinder me and cause major hassle if it’s treated as a voidable policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,966 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

if you can switch away from Liberty, do so. They're being sold and their customer support is a joke. I bought a new used car and at the same time, wanted a policy in my name for it (was on herselfs policy for like 8 years.) Liberty plainly couldn't cope, told me they'd 'send me a quote', never did, followed up was told, seriously, that I could only talk wtih the phonedroid who I'd spoken with originally as it had my 'quote locked.' Nice IT system they have.

Rocked up to AxA, who indeed use LIberty to underwrite the policy, but their price was reasonable, they did get the NCB data they needed (I had to ask Liberty for that, amazingly they could still do that in a timely way.) No problems.

Definitely avoid Liberty, try some other carrier, I really think Liberty's consumer-facing business is in its death throes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Male 45. Full clean driving licence.

Forfeited my own NCD as I had been driving a "motor caravan" the last 5 years, while a "named driver" on my wifes car (had been driving my own car for 20 years prior to this, with zero incidents).

Sold the camper, bought a small runaround (1.4L 2007 petrol) and got quotes over 1000, then 736, and finally 370 odd... for the pair of us fully comp. My wifes car insurer/house insurer won out in the end - using my "named driver" experience as my NCB.

Now all I need to do is get the gombeens in my old insurer to pen the stupid letter stating the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

Got the letter from "the very cold shiver" crowd today after hassling them for FOUR days.

With the wrong year on it!

The wait goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

If you are getting no where with Liberty on this issue, check to see if there's a cooling off period, there's usually a cooing off period of 14 days, where you can cancel the policy yourself without any repercussions, you can then get a quote with a different insurance company.

Edit: just noticed the date of your post so probably too late at this stage.

• Advertisement

To close the loop on this, liberty acknowledged what mistake I made and said it was no problem and just used my full NCB from my previous policy which was just about to lapse over the 2 years, nothing more mentioned about the named driver experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭easyvision

33, 2022 Golf GTD, 5 years NCB. 1 windscreen claim. €388 new customer Aviva, no points , full no claims protection. Very good price I’m happy

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Mike

Late thirties, Hyundai i30, 5 years NCD, Co Galway, €377 for Comp with Chill insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

56, full NCB (9+ years on Cert), full licence, no points, 151 C-Class 2.1 diesel estate

2023 was €365

Renewal by First Ireland was € 445.00

Final choices

Aviva € 346

Allianz € 358

FBD €460

Zurich € 510 (which I don't understand as that's who underwrite the First Ireland policy I was renewing....)

AXA € 584 (which is nuts, I have other policies with them...)

Went with Aviva.

That's all until 20th March (other car) and April (3 x motorbikes)...............

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

32, 141 renault captur 1.5, full license, 6 years no claims discount, no points, yet the cheapest quote I can find is €570. Have rang about ten brokers at this stage and most are quoting me around the €630 mark. Any advice? There's got to be better value out there.

Try Zurich, use ZUROBS for a discount when checking out.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thanks, just tried. €623 they're quoting me 😐

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Maybe ring them. Or do a new quote with your existing insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just Double checking with this.

If I have a Learner Pert since 2014 and a full licence since 2022.

Do I select 2 years or 9+.

I've been told two seperate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

If you selected full licence surely it's how long have you Held a full licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I thought this originally.

If you look at the example they give the person seems to include the provisional license as one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is there any point getting "bonus protection" add-on if your discount is based on named driver experience. I haven't had my own policy for years but I have been on the wife's policy.

Thanks for the advice guys, rang Zurich and have got them down to €563, but still feel like I'm getting fleeced in comparison to what we can see from others here on the thread.

I'll need to wrap this up by the end of the week, any further advice? I'll ring back my current broker and see if they can do any better than Zurich, but not sure I'll get very far.

Who are you insured with through the broker? Try contacting your insurance company directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Try Acorn insurance. Have you a house policy or does a partner have a separate car insurance policy. Maybe try adding a named driver to your policy it may bring down the cost. AXA do discount for credit union members they might also be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just renewed with AXA. Maybe too lazy to shop around but the price ended up only €20 more than last year.

2010 Ford Focus LX 1400cc Petrol. Driver with full NCD (says 5 years + on renewal doc) driver over 60. Inc credit Union Discount.

€380 fully comp. Car and Key rescue. Injury to driver cover. Legal expenses. Replacement car. Glass breakage. Protected NCD (€55).

Renewal was for €399 but a phone call got €19 off which isn't too bad. Was in the wrong mood really and didn't argue as much as last year when I got €40 off.

Without the Protected NCD it would have been around €350

Wake me up when it's all over.

Insured by AXA, who quoted me €1,007 🙃

Acorn were one of the cheapest, but still quoted €574.

In the end I'm having to settle on €552 with Liberty. Still feel like I'm paying way too much for a full licence, 6 years no claims, no points and a 141 car, but I've tried everything now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

08 Audi A5

517 with 123.ie with all the extras and business use.

Classic policy with first ireland for a 2000 plate Audi TT for 250 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Couple pages back but my 2008 a5 was 560 with business use with Zurich. Yours the 3.0?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Advertisement