Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Driver

Male 49 - 2 years NCB with 3 years named

Full licence for 31 years

Co-driver

Female 48 with own insurance on a full licence for 20+ years

Car = 2011 Yaris

Renewal with Chill (Allianz) = €543

Had the following lined up to do but stopped at Revolut as it was never gonna be beaten

FBD = €534

AIG = €412

Revolut = €329

Aviva

Liberty

Zurich

AA

Allianz Direct

SuperValu

An Post

Axa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Male 49, full licence, full NCB, no points, claims or convictions for 25+ yrs. Renewal on 191 2.0D Arteon through AIG golfer insurance for 395E. No one else even close and the AIG policy is fully comp and fully loaded. Slightly up on last yr, but only what is reflected on higher value car. Anyone with GUI membership should really be all over this AIG golfers insurance, hard to beat, no one has in about 5 yrs and I priced around every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Anyone have a link for GUI please?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Thanks for that. I was nearly there searching 'gui' and kept getting golfIreland links. Nothing there about GUI though. Think I searched Golf Union Ireland (me guessing) as well. Nada. Searched using DDG, maybe that was why.

Anyway, don't play so can't avail. Thanks again.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,026 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Car: 2017 Mercedes 190B, 50k km

Driver: male, no points, named driver for 8 years on a policy for a car in my wife's name.

Contacted existing insurer (Liberty) to see if we could add the car to the policy. Refused. O.K. then, issue me the policy. Couldn't find the car in their database. I didn't have the reg number at the time, they told me to call back when I had more information. Called back, was told that my file was 'locked' and the person on the phone would IM the first person I talked to, to unlock it, and they'd call me back.

That was 2 days ago. In order to insure the car, I need a 'letter of named driver' from Liberty. They had a web page for that, but it says it'll take 72 hours. The new insurer (AA) will wait 5 days for the letter.

So, my question here is, it seems like Liberty, to be generous, don't have their act together. AA found the car just fine even without the reg number, and issued me a quote which I bought. They also said they could wait for the letter of named driver from me for 7 days. The salesperson indicated if there are problems they can wait up to 21 days.

I'm fine with AA but if they have to rescind the policy, then what? Besides Liberty and AA, who would you recommend? And will I face this 'named driver letter' problem no matter where I go? Can't I get insurance without it? Can't my wife have a second car on her policy?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The letter will be a requirement for every insurer and no, you can only have one car per policy

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Had a renewal offer from Axa €721.42

switched to Allianz. same cover (better actually) for €395.98

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

2021 BMW 330D 2993cc Male 50's Full NCD no points. Comp with protected.

Renewal from Aviva €509 (up 90 from last year)

AIG €837

123 €588

FBD €600

AXA €862

Revolut AIG €761 not sure if it had all the trimmings, I stopped.

Allianz and Zurich were in the 700's

Liberty no quote

Seven Worlds will Collide

@CrowdedHouse "Liberty no quote"

Did you contact them and not get a quote? Because I'm still waiting on one from 1+ month ago. Seems like maybe they're not selling policies anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

When I filled out the online form it came back with something like 'We are unable to give you a quote on this vehicle'. I didn't bother ringing.

Seven Worlds will Collide

I did and they said they'd call me back. I really doubt they're in the retail business anymore. Scary that they're the underwriter. Supposedly they've been sold to a firm in Italy, I wonder if they've just got a skeleton crew keeping the lights on until ownership's transitioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Had a nightmare trying to get insurance today. 2011 Toyota Vitz. Female in 30's, with full NCD, and 14 years full license. No points either. Got it with AXA last year for €410 and the best they would do this year was €470. Most companies wouldn't even quote because it's an import. Eventually I got a call from a broker who wouldn't quote me online, and he got it from Allianz for €380 for me. Happy in the end, but nearly had to go back to AXA and accept the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raxy

I've heard since brexit there's a lot of Japanese imports like the vitz. They've no immobiliser so are easy to steal. Someone I work with had 1 stolen last year. Might be why you are finding it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Oh this is not good news for me. I would guess that is exactly the issue. I told the guy on the phone that I wasn't sure if it had an imobiliser or not, and he said if the car had a central locking key then it had. Googling would suggest that you are more likely to be correct than him unfortunately. I'll have to ring him in the morning. I'll have to check with AXA too to see if there's an imobiliser down on that quote. I fear my renewal just got a whole lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Renewal notice from Aviva €376 comprehensive, me wife son insured on a 1.6 2008 Opel Zafira, full no claims, no points or accidents, think that's good was expecting higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

Is it normal for car insurance renewals to increase for 2024? I have a 2019 Toyota Yaris Hybrid with Aviva, got car insurance (Comprehensive, +1 extra driver, no claims) with them for €390 in 2023 and they're telling me it's €419 next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raxy

If it wasn't this thread would probably not exist. Mine went up over €100 this year. I bought a different policy without contacting them but they kept calling me. Answered eventually & they admitted there's no point in them trying to lower their quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i would ring them anyway see if they could do bettter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just got my renewal from chill gone up 63 to 563 from last year with no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This year's renewal just in from Allianz

Car: 2010 Audi A6, 2.0 L diesel, 350,000km on the clock.

Me: 42, Full ROI since 2007, full NCD, no claims or points.

Insurance: Fully comp

2022 Cost: € 321

2023 Cost: € 326

2024 Cost: € 325

So a fine decrease of just over €1. Happy days, LOL

How are you getting quotes that cheap im 52 full clean license no points on a 2012 avensis 2.0 and can't get anywhere near that.

Your address and annual mileage do matter a lot. Also my dad brings mine down a bit even though I'm 42

I'm on my own low enough mileage Northside of cork city unless they are loading for that.

I was in mitchelstiwn and got loaded by over €75 for moving to Meath commuter belt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Can you enter your address without an eircode? If so it should give you a county/city rating rather than a specific area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Not sure to be honest. I live in South Dublin, I work from home but that has not been factored into the quote.

I just had a look again, and it's €327 for the year.

• Advertisement

Only god knows how insurance companies come up with quotes 😄😄

Advertisement