Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

1.8 TSI superb 2012
    Only vehicle
    Not a small city car
    Full comp,FBP
    €280.

Who's that with? That quote is from the noughties. :D Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Who's that with? That quote is from the noughties. :D Well done.

Was with aviva. Renewal was something like 350/360. New business quote from them was 280. Paid there and then,3 weeks early :)

Was with aviva. Renewal was something like 350/360. New business quote from them was 280. Paid there and then,3 weeks early :)

Great.

If I'm reading this right, the lesson here is:

When you get your renewal quote from whoever, get a new online quote from them?

Is that right?

Great.

Is that right?

Certainly worked for me. They even wanted me to send them my NCB cert that I got from them,back into them :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

My renewal from Liberty was 801, new business quote was 580 with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Certainly worked for me. They even wanted me to send them my NCB cert that I got from them,back into them

Liberty didn't require it from me. Rang up and they did some internal stuff and matched the new business quote.

Liberty didn't require it from me. Rang up and they did some internal stuff and matched the new business quote.

As it should be. Didn't bother me could have scanned and mailed it,cost me a € to post, saved over €70.!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

As it should be. Didn't bother me could have scanned and mailed it,cost me a € to post, saved over €70.!

Why do you even have to call?! Why is the renewal higher in the first place?

As an existing customer you post much lower risk than new business. The only explanation is they want to exploit some laziness...

grogi wrote: »
    Why do you even have to call?! Why is the renewal higher in the first place?

As an existing customer you post much lower risk than new business. The only explanation is they want to exploit some laziness...

100%. They just hope you renew without calling them.

Certainly worked for me. They even wanted me to send them my NCB cert that I got from them,back into them :pac:

Gah. Wish I’d known that. I might have stuck with the same firm - their loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

56 year old male
    Full clean license
    151 skoda superb 1.6
    Renewal from aa €690
    Aviva €590
    Axa €630
    Liberty €760
    123,ie €398
    All quotes are full comp

Gary Owen wrote: »
    56 year old male
    Full clean license
    151 skoda superb 1.6
    Renewal from aa €690
    Aviva €590
    Axa €630
    Liberty €760
    123,ie €398
    All quotes are full comp

I wonder which one your going to ?;).
    €300 is €300. All day long.!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thanks David. I'm thinking too that a lot of people paying under the €400 mark are possibly driving very small city cars that are less than 5 years old. I think there is a lot of people posting their premium for second cars or classic policies too and not disclosing as such.

I possibly could have got closer to the €400 mark if I went TPF&T only but the difference was small and if something were to happen to my car it was a chance I was not willing to take. As I recall I paid sub €400 in 2017 on a 2004 Corolla but think the market has moved on. As at least one broker mentioned to me last Feb "€500 is the new €350".

I take your point too though and reiterate - if you don't take some time to shop around every year you are an idiot and dare I say it, deserve to pay over the odds.
    My daughter got a quotes for TPFT and fully comp at 23, made sweet FA difference. I think in the end it was less than 60euro between the two. I done te same myself and the difference was less than 20euro, my partner got a higher quote for TPFT (I do wonder sometimes), but basically, so many people go fully comp nowadays, it seems to me to make little or no difference.
    Great.

Is that right?

The big lesson is renew early, learned my lesson the hard way, now I start the process 3 months before and have it all sorted ASAP, makes a huge difference, leave to auto renew or wait till less than a month before and most seem to gouge you.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

Gary Owen

Wow, fine quote, lucky you.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The big lesson is renew early, learned my lesson the hard way, now I start the process 3 months before and have it all sorted ASAP, makes a huge difference, leave to auto renew or wait till less than a month before and most seem to gouge you.

Most quotes are for limited time periods though.

CramCycle wrote: »
    My daughter got a quotes for TPFT and fully comp at 23, made sweet FA difference. I think in the end it was less than 60euro between the two. I done te same myself and the difference was less than 20euro, my partner got a higher quote for TPFT (I do wonder sometimes), but basically, so many people go fully comp nowadays, it seems to me to make little or no difference.

How are you getting quotations 3 months out ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most quotes are for limited time periods though.
    How are you getting quotations 3 months out ?

You are 100% right, I somehow thought I done it earlier, its just I beat them sending me out an auto renew by a week or two, not as organised as I thought. On an interesting note, I googled it and in the UK they had this advice from money saving sites: A study from MoneySavingExpert has revealed that the best time to buy is 21 days before your renewal date. So my advice may have been rubbish all round if it is the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Liberty doing flash sale of 20% off - just in time to renew two policies (the second one got the addtional 10% for second policy with them):

Car 1
    161 Citroen Cactus 1.2
    340Euros

Car 2
    Age 50
    07 Citroen Grand Picasso 2.0
    370Euros

Both comp with each other as named drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Pekarirska

43 years old
    2006 Toyota Corolla 1.6L

Full license since ever
    full no claims
    no points

TPFT quotes

last year with Liberty €660
    this year renewal €520

AIB €870
    Axa €810
    FBD & BOI €650
    Aviva, AA, AnPost, 25Plus & Allianz all between €510 and €550

123.ie €400

which is 40% reduction :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

40 year old male
    Full licence
    10+ years no claims bonus
    No claims ever

2006 ford focus 1.4

Full comp

€350

• Advertisement

Pekarirska wrote: »
    43 years old
    2006 Toyota Corolla 1.6L

Full license since ever
    full no claims
    no points

TPFT quotes

last year with Liberty €660
    this year renewal €520

AIB €870
    Axa €810
    FBD & BOI €650
    Aviva, AA, AnPost, 25Plus & Allianz all between €510 and €550

123.ie €400

which is 40% reduction :-)

Holy crap.!

micar wrote: »
    40 year old male
    Full licence
    10+ years no claims bonus
    No claims ever

2006 ford focus 1.4

Full comp

€350

Mega. Who with?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Gary Owen wrote: »
    56 year old male
    Full clean license
    151 skoda superb 1.6
    Renewal from aa €690
    Aviva €590
    Axa €630
    Liberty €760
    123,ie €398
    All quotes are full comp

Went with 123 , filled in everything online all good .
    Took photos of license and ncd and paid my 398 .
    Got a phone call saying my Money is being refunded as they don’t accept
    a driver qualification card . I took the wrong photo , gave them the driver qualification card instead of my license . It was like talking to the wall , i explained my mistake but no go . So the hunt went on until I tried BOI and got it for €282 . Happy days .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

27, Male in Tallaght with 25 year old Spouse
    2005 BMW E60 530d
    3 points, 10+ years no claims/0 points and 1 year no claims

Renewal from KennCo: €1749 :O
    Fresh quote from 123.ie €688.54

I'll have that

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

33 male 2010 VW Scirocco 170 2.0 tdi

Last year was around 700 from Allianz direct.
    Renewal came up 730 after phone call I could get for 690
    Fully com,glass,driving other cars,named driver,brakedown
    After 36377 phone calls went with AA(Aviva)
    for 503e but I have to get super AA brakedown cover.First they want 120 but got it for 75 for myself and wife.
    So total 503+75-fully comp,other cars fully comp,glass brakedown,step back and low excess.

The only issue I have with them so far I paid upfront sent them my licence details and NCB with PIN so they can check my NCB via email but they still insisted for printed copy wich Allianz sent me via email so I had to print myself.After few emails and phone call they accepted digital copy of NCB and told me to not worry.Still waiting for my cert....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

33 Male, 2005 Ford fiesta 1.3
    Full licence 1 year and 4 months
    3 years NCB
    Was with boxymo, Got a renewal quote for 884
    Just changed over to Zurich with Chill, Quote of 714. I'll take that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Anyone see this on Youtube, Pearse Doherty talking to Insurance Company bosses about Fraudulent Claims, tis a hoot,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6GyT5cV6jw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

its4 women

7 years NCB

New quote from their other site, 25plus...410.
    I4w couldn't match it :)

Just renewed my sons insurance few minutes ago.
    22 years old
    3 yrs NBC
    07,1.4 Octavia
    Fully comp,breakdown,other cars window cover etc.
    Avila €663
    123. €3800 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cat_xx

My insurance last year with Liberty was €1,000, got my renewal quote this week, €1,800!! No claims or penalty points or changes to my policy. Got a quote with liberty having my car at my home address in a different county to the one I currently live in and the premium was €800.

Absolute madness :(

Advertisement