Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Renewal just came in from Aviva.
    2010 superb, 1.8 tsi
    Fully comp + full bonus protect windows etc.
    57 yo
    Full bonus
    €338.

Went online with Aviva and put in my details, quote came back as €280. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Renewal just came in from Aviva.
    2010 superb, 1.8 tsi
    Fully comp + full bonus protect windows etc.
    57 yo
    Full bonus
    €338.

Jesus that's cheap.

Went online with Aviva and put in my details, quote came back as €280. :)

Jesus, Joseph, Mary and Joe Burke, that's really cheap.

2014 1.6 Golf Highline
    Never claimed, never any penalty points, spouse the same, driving 40 years each.

Quotes vary from €390 up to €892 and everything in between.

The strange thing is, in the past the AA have quoted really dear for me but this year, they're the cheapest by a significant amount.

It pees me off that I've never claimed a sodding thing but year to year my insurance goes up and up and up and up and up.

Jesus, Joseph, Mary and Joe Burke, that's really cheap.

Paid it last Thursday, isn't due until 15th June. Couldn't get over it.

• Advertisement

Finally. Post Insurance (One Direct) €1.35 cheaper than last year's insurance with 25plus.ie :D

(Renewal had gone up by €60 despite 100% clean claims record and no penalty points)

Still €45 dearer than Odyssey's though. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

My wife's renewal came in today, it has more than doubled from last year.

She's 32, driving a 2009 Nissan Qashqai,no points, claims etc.... Gone from €520 last year to €1280!

Insured MrsO's car yesterday. Post insurance
    E300
    Fully Comp.
    Licence over 20 yes
    No points
    1 yr NBC due to being on fleet policy for the past 12 years
    No claims...
    Last year €800 +
    Renewal was €670.
    Called them and got it for €599.

Skuxx wrote: »
    My wife's renewal came in today, it has more than doubled from last year.

She's 32, driving a 2009 Nissan Qashqai,no points, claims etc.... Gone from €520 last year to €1280!

Fook me that's saucy. ( the renewal, not your missus :) )

Insured MrsO's car yesterday. Post insurance
    E300
    Fully Comp.
    Licence over 20 yes
    No points
    1 yr NBC due to being on fleet policy for the past 12 years
    No claims...
    Last year €800 +
    Renewal was €670.
    Called them and got it for €599.

Every year (except one) my insurance has gone up on previous years. And every year, I spend most of a day shopping around. I nearly always get my insurance roughly the same from year-to-year (given the same car of course).

Post Insurance - or One Direct in the past - and the AA have always been amongst the most expensive quotes. But not this year: they were the cheapest. What gives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

97 BMW 840 ci sport on Classic insurance, 6000 yearly millage limit.
    Last year 450.
    This year 499.

Going up, but still happy enough with it, but need to ring them as the valuation they have is 10k, and a low millage model goes for about 20k and up. I'd rather pay more to make sure I have the proper cover.

Skatedude wrote: »
    97 BMW 840 ci sport on Classic insurance, 6000 yearly millage limit.
    Last year 450.
    This year 499.

Going up, but still happy enough with it, but need to ring them as the valuation they have is 10k, and a low millage model goes for about 20k and up. I'd rather pay more to make sure I have the proper cover.

Fair enough if you think you haven't got proper cover, Skatedude, but my earlier point - that insurance goes up way year after year over the cost of inflation for the same car with no claims - is criminal.

Maybe people should argue this point when their renewal comes round. After all, wouldn't an insurer prefer to get the same as they charged last year rather than zero?

Just go a renewal for my sons insurance.
    Fully comp.. no bonus protection
    07 1.4 Octavia
    1500 value
    No points
    21 years old
    3 years in own name
    €670

Went online
    Put in all the same details
    €421 or €463 with full bonus protection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

07 1.4 Octavia
    1500 value
    No points
    21 years old
    3 years in own name
    €670

Went online

What insurance company is this with ? That's unreal.

What insurance company is this with ? That's unreal.

Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭clones1980

€734 - Aviva online

Fully comp for 08 Golf 1.9.
    39 year old female driver
    Full licence for forever
    no penalty points,
    no claims
    That does not include bonus protection etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Tried anywhere else, that quote seems expensive for your record.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

07 1.4 Octavia
    1500 value
    No points
    21 years old
    3 years in own name
    €670

Went online

Something not right there but I doubt you are complaining.

Something not right there but I doubt you are complaining.

Agreed. They just called me. Am in negotiations atm. Then their system crashed ;). Gona call me back . We shall see. They sent me a email with the quote but that's probably not worth the paper its written on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Agreed. They just called me. Am in negotiations atm. Then their system crashed ;). Gona call me back . We shall see. They sent me a email with the quote but that's probably not worth the paper its written on.

Prepare to pay double or triple although for your sons sake hopefully not. But they’ll come back to you with some lame excuse or maybe just maybe they will honour it.

• Advertisement

07 1.4 Octavia
    1500 value
    No points
    21 years old
    3 years in own name
    €670

Went online

Brilliant. A little effort goes a long way. Hope you get that.

clonesbabe wrote: »
    €734 - Aviva online

Fully comp for 08 Golf 1.9.
    39 year old female driver
    Full licence for forever
    no penalty points,
    no claims
    That does not include bonus protection etc

That's way too dear. You shouldn't pay more than €400. It takes time and is mega boring but everyone should spend a day or so trying every single insurer on the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

15 BMW 420i 2.0
    1 Year NCB
    No points
    1 claim with no fault
    License for 8 years
    Quote: £1,450

Prepare to pay double or triple although for your sons sake hopefully not. But they’ll come back to you with some lame excuse or maybe just maybe they will honour it.

They have him on 50% ncb now. 30% from their ignition program and 30% earned. They wont let him bring the 30% to the new policy :(. Knuts.
    Quote came in at €660. Still dam good deal for a 21yo fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They have him on 50% ncb now. 30% from their ignition program and 30% earned. They wont let him bring the 30% to the new policy :(. Knuts.
    Quote came in at €660. Still dam good deal for a 21yo fully comp.

That's a steal...

I'm paying 1700 tpft trade with huge excess at 36 and loads removed and increase every year for 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

That's way too dear. You shouldn't pay more than €400. It takes time and is mega boring but everyone should spend a day or so trying every single insurer on the web.

I could be very wrong but think the days of getting motor insurance for under €400 are well and truly gone (I'm talking main daily driver car, not classic/ vintage policies).

I'm a 38 year old male with 14 years NCB and full license held 18 years. No accidents, claims, convictions or penalty points. Insurance was close to €500 comprehensive cover on a 1.4 2009 Auris. Cover was provided by insuremycars.ie with the underwriter being Allianz. I did actually call every broker/ company in the phone book to get the best quote (time consuming and soul destroying). As I was calling I was telling them my best quote. One broker pretty much told me to take it and take their hand off as I wont get it any better than that. Unlike clonesbabe my cover does have step back bonus protection but I'd be willing to forego that for €400.

If you could tell me a company/ broker that will provide me cover for around €400 with them particulars I'd be very appreciative.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭inna981

Mothers insurance is up at the start of next month

58F Full License driving for 35ish years
    Co. Kilkenny
    2013 Peugeot 308 1.6 HDi
    No Points
    No Claims
    Full No Claims
    Fully Comprehensive

Renewal with BOI: ~570

AIG and AA: No quote
    123.ie: 768 haha
    SuperValu: 556
    AIB: 514
    Aviva: 462
    25plus: 427
    BOI (as new customer): 326

Bank of Ireland looks pretty good again this year. Has windscreen cover and step back protection included.

If you could tell me a company/ broker that will provide me cover for around €400 with them particulars I'd be very appreciative.

I wish I could but it’s never that simple. I went with 25plus in 2017, they were about €360 that year, the next year they were €385 which I accepted, because shopping around is, like you said, a mega toll on your sanity.

This year they put it up €60, way over inflation and, given the same car, no points or claims, is cheeky and should be criminal. Hours of shopping around got me Post Insurance at €383, so feck them. Better insurance too.

I fully expect PI to renew me at €450 or more next year; whether I’ll be able to shop around sub-€400 by then is looking doubtful.

Read back through the thread - there are people getting decent deals still but I’ve no idea why quotes vary by such WTF amounts. Post Insurance and AA have been off the scale for me in previous years, for a smaller car! You tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks David. I'm thinking too that a lot of people paying under the €400 mark are possibly driving very small city cars that are less than 5 years old. I think there is a lot of people posting their premium for second cars or classic policies too and not disclosing as such.

I possibly could have got closer to the €400 mark if I went TPF&T only but the difference was small and if something were to happen to my car it was a chance I was not willing to take. As I recall I paid sub €400 in 2017 on a 2004 Corolla but think the market has moved on. As at least one broker mentioned to me last Feb "€500 is the new €350".

I take your point too though and reiterate - if you don't take some time to shop around every year you are an idiot and dare I say it, deserve to pay over the odds.

• Advertisement

Thanks David. I'm thinking too that a lot of people paying under the €400 mark are possibly driving very small city cars that are less than 5 years old. I think there is a lot of people posting their premium for second cars or classic policies too and not disclosing as such.

1.8 TSI superb 2012
    Only vehicle
    Not a small city car
    Full comp,FBP
    €280.

Advertisement