Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    No protected no claims bonus?

No, wasn't available to me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    What do Aviva say to justify that?

They said there could be changes to ratings applicable in my area. I was so flabbergasted I didn't think to ask them to provide the underlying data.

Still in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

FatimaKid wrote: »
    They said there could be changes to ratings applicable in my area. I was so flabbergasted I didn't think to ask them to provide the underlying data.

Still in shock.

If your last renewal had 3 then you had 65% discount off the gross rates to leave you paying 750(or 35% of the gross figure. . This year then at full gross be a minimum of €2054. Any haggling discount you had for being claim free is gone for a few years. If Active claim then you kinda stuck with them as other insurance companies won’t take you on unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

cplwhisper wrote: »
    If your last renewal had 3 then you had 65% discount off the gross rates to leave you paying 750(or 35% of the gross figure. . This year then at full gross be a minimum of €2054. Any haggling discount you had for being claim free is gone for a few years. If Active claim then you kinda stuck with them as other insurance companies won’t take you on unfortunately

I'm not with you. I think you misunderstood my post. My renewal quote is 57% higher than last year with no known causes - no claims, no points, no convictions, same car, same address (out in the sticks), no changes to any material facts.

When queried, Aviva raised the possibility of ratings applying 'in my area' but I am not aware of what these might be.

CSO data for last year showed premiums dropped by 7%: https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/cpi/consumerpriceindexdecember2018/ - see Table 15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Car: 1999 Nissan Almera 1.4
    NCB: 1 year, 4 years named driver prior

Not getting many quotes because of the age of the car.

1300 renewal from AA/AXA (Including AA membership)
    1030 quote from Supervalue if I go with a excess of 500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Car: 2006 Passat estate 1.9 105bhp
    Cover: Comprehensive
    NCD: 10+ years
    Penalty points: 3

AIG renewal: €1200
    Quote from 123.ie for €1,126

What the actual fudge. My renewal came from AIG at €854 and when I went through the policy, the quote went up €100 because I have 3 points and it went up a further €250 to €1,200 when I told them I'm unemployed (seeking work currently)

Whatever it is about me, I can never even get close to these €500ish numbers everyone else seems to get. Last year I was working and points free and paid €750 in a 1.4 90bhp Fiat Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

accensi0n wrote: »
    Car: 1999 Nissan Almera 1.4
    NCB: 1 year, 4 years named driver prior

Not getting many quotes because of the age of the car.

1300 renewal from AA/AXA (Including AA membership)
    1030 quote from Supervalue if I go with a excess of 500

Got AA/AXA down to 1049 and went with them. So 19 not to bother setting up with a new company.. :pac:

This was for comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

cantdecide wrote: »

What the actual fudge. My renewal came from AIG at €854 and when I went through the policy, the quote went up €100 because I have 3 points and it went up a further €250 to €1,200 when I told them I'm unemployed (seeking work currently)

Whatever it is about me, I can never even get close to these €500ish numbers everyone else seems to get. Last year I was working and points free and paid €750 in a 1.4 90bhp Fiat Bravo

Will they refund you when you get the job, or add another extra on top as you will be commuting I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 godza

No Claims: Full
    Convictions: 0
    Car: 2014 Kia Sportage
    Insurance: Comprehensive

AA last year €525 after beating them down
    AA renewal this year €810, their letter stated they'd found the *best quote*

Chill just put €120-150 on top of all the quotes I shopped around for.

Went with Liberty comprehensive cover for €374

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Affluenza

24 M, 1 year driving, full license, 0 points and 1 year NCB

2010 1.4 Ford Fiesta

First years insurance was €2,410 with Coverinaclick (AXA)

Renewal due at the start of September (all TPFT).
    Renewal from CIAC through AXA: €1,564
    123.ie: €4,764
    AA: €3,631
    Aviva: €1,906
    Quote Devil: €3,175
    Chill.ie: €1,998
    Zurich: €2,960
    Aviva: No quote
    Quoteme: €2,264
    Anpost: €1,879

Tried all of the other large places (BOI, blue, axa, kennco etc.), nobody offered under €1,700.

I went with Liberty, quote came out to €1,290 but got it down to €1,200. This was after adding a parent as a named driver. Quite happy with that :)

Good luck all those novices out there looking for insurance :) It's not fun ringing around and waiting only for the insurer to tell you it's gonna be €5k but it pays to shop around.

• Advertisement

Affluenza wrote: »
    24 M, 1 year driving, full license, 0 points and 1 year NCB

2010 1.4 Ford Fiesta

First years insurance was €2,410 with Coverinaclick (AXA)

Renewal due at the start of September (all TPFT).
    Renewal from CIAC through AXA: €1,564
    123.ie: €4,764
    AA: €3,631
    Aviva: €1,906
    Quote Devil: €3,175
    Chill.ie: €1,998
    Zurich: €2,960
    Aviva: No quote
    Quoteme: €2,264
    Anpost: €1,879

Tried all of the other large places (BOI, blue, axa, kennco etc.), nobody offered under €1,700.

I went with Liberty, quote came out to €1,290 but got it down to €1,200. This was after adding a parent as a named driver. Quite happy with that :)

Good luck all those novices out there looking for insurance :) It's not fun ringing around and waiting only for the insurer to tell you it's gonna be €5k but it pays to shop around.

I respect the few that call back after I've tried them for a quote online and I tell them imediately that I've found a quote less than half my current quoted providers renewal, the good bad guys ask what the figure is and immeditely say 'i can't match that.

It's bull $hit how they price it, the agents are on commission, which is fair enough but I don't appreciate my time been taken the pi$$ out of seeking quotes either, so if they quoted to a standard framework we could save their admin time. Instead they insist we waste out and their time every year filling out the same forms (with or without change of details) to get stupid renewal quotes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The commission is approximately 10% and sales agents have to do dozens of quotes to get one sale. They are businesses independent of each other so that’s why they all have to ask the same questions over again.

The commission is approximately 10% and sales agents have to do dozens of quotes to get one sale. They are businesses independent of each other so that’s why they all have to ask the same questions over again.

Yes, but they also are on targets, I know for a fact I have caught the right agent at the right time (close to eating target) through the same provider over the course of three weeks and the price difference / saving was a further €150.

I guess start shopping at least 3-4 weeks before your premium is due and call the lowest to try and squeeze it down further without giving up levels / perks.

It's not their salary I'm interested in impacting, it's the companies they work for throwing stupid quotes out as 'best'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭CR 7

I got my renewal from Aviva for €541. I've been with them for about 7 or 8 years as they've given me a cheaper quote on renewal than I could get anywhere else, and they're generally easy to deal with. They actually gave me a refund when I bought my current car 2 years back.

Male
    Car: 2008 Corsa OPC
    Penalty points: None
    • Aviva Renewal: €541 (+€25 NCB full protection) - Driving other cars comp
    • 123.ie: €495 (+€41 NCB full protection) - Driving other cars TP only
    • its4women: €514 (+€38 NCB full protection)

None of the rest could get under €700 for basic comprehensive. I'm trying to decide which of the first 2 to go with. I can't see if the driving other cars cover by its4women is comprehensive, but probably not or they'd be making it clearer.

I can get the Aviva quote down to €547 by increasing the excess to €600 from €300, which might be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭CR 7

I've just checked the Aviva policy documents again and it appears they've actually gotten rid of the comprehensive cover to drive other cars with comprehensive policies, so that makes up my mind for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭kig

I have just got my Aviva renewal quote, have had no claims (10yr+ NCD), nothing has changed in my circumstances yet my renewal quote has gone up by 42%. Why would I even try them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

kig wrote: »
    I have just got my Aviva renewal quote, have had no claims (10yr+ NCD), nothing has changed in my circumstances yet my renewal quote has gone up by 42%. Why would I even try them again?

I looks like Aviva are losing a lot of customers recently. Their renewals have been going up hugely for a lot of people.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Got my renewal qoute from AIG which was 570.
    It was 430 last year.
    Went online and tried AXA first,they were 615.
    Getting a bit worried An post were my next choice.
    338!!!
    It's AIG they insure you with :pac:
    Age 47
    2013 Lexus IS300h f-sport
    Fully comp with no claims protection.

With the last 15 years or more I usually I give 2 days trying to get a good quote but that's it, no need to try any others.
    That's probably the cheapest I've ever got car insurance for!
    Happy days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

blade1 wrote: »
    Got my renewal qoute from AIG which was 570.
    It was 430 last year.
    Went online and tried AXA first,they were 615.
    Getting a bit worried An post were my next choice.
    338!!!
    It's AIG they insure you with :pac:
    Age 47
    2013 Lexus IS300h f-sport
    Fully comp with no claims protection.

With the last 15 years or more I usually I give 2 days trying to get a good quote but that's it, no need to try any others.
    That's probably the cheapest I've ever got car insurance for!
    Happy days!!!

Grab it and run. Pay up early if needs be
    I paid my ins 28 days early this year the quote was so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

cantdecide wrote: »

Penalty points: 3 (speeding)

Renewed with Supervalu/ AXA - €800
    Fully comp
    Fully protected NCD
    Fully comp driving other cars
    €350 excess

F*** AIG with their €1,200

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

Your Age: 53
    Car type and engine: 2002 Opel Astra 1.4
    years driving: 34
    any claims: none
    Price and provider: Allianz, It was €455 last year, €492 Renewal, fully comp with bonus protection etc Got it down to €472....

Rang around, most wouldn't quote due to age of car......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

2016 Golf, last years was €419, renewal of €416.
    Allianz.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Last year 680
    Renewal 930

No points or claims or the like

They'll not be getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Last year 680
    Renewal 930

No points or claims or the like

They'll not be getting it

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭martin6651

Just got mine this morning from Aviva jumped by 300 euro from last year no claims made so cant under stand why. Do insurance companies charge extra due to age of insurer(victim).

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭paulpd

Last year 746

Quote today AA 699

2006 Saab 93 1.8L

Male 46

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

martin6651 wrote: »
    Just got mine this morning from Aviva jumped by 300 euro from last year no claims made so cant under stand why. Do insurance companies charge extra due to age of insurer(victim).

What do you mean ,age of insurer ,victim?

what I mean is I'm 68 and was wondering if insurance is bumped because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

martin6651 wrote: »
    what I mean is I'm 68 and was wondering if insurance is bumped because of this.
    Im with Aviva too, been with them a few years now, last quote €280,
    due for renewal in January,find out if age related, a few posters on here with Aviva have renewals gone up this year.

• Advertisement

I've been with this group for many years even before they were taken over by Aviva. Scoop what car have that your quote is so low.

Advertisement