Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What are you driving?

10 superb 1.8 tsi

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

10 superb 1.8 tsi

I had a renewal quote of €690 with AA , ended up getting it for €282 with BOI also a skoda superb .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Just got my renewal from 25 plus...

€668 fully comp & NCB protected. Tried a few others but were all coming in around €850 or €900, so I'm sticking where I am.

37 year old with a full license 10+ years. 7 years NCB, driving a 2009 BMW 3 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Superb
    50 7yrs NCB.
    Its4 women renewal was 468. 25 plus 407

Others were 600+ or wouldn't quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just can't get anything sub €700.

2012 BM 520d M Sport

Licence: forever
    NCB: forever

Best so far is €722 with Allianz. Fully comp with all the bells and whistles. 123 (current insurer) sent me a renewal notice for €889. Ran an online quote and got it for €750. Surprise, surprise, on follow up call to them, they will match the €750:rolleyes:

AIG - 1152
    AIB - 1012
    BOI - 735 / 800 for prestige
    AnP - 767

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

dodzy wrote: »
    Just can't get anything sub €700.

2012 BM 520d M Sport

Licence: forever
    NCB: forever

Best so far is €722 with Allianz. Fully comp with all the bells and whistles. 123 (current insurer) sent me a renewal notice for €889. Ran an online quote and got it for €750. Surprise, surprise, on follow up call to them, they will match the €750:rolleyes:

AIG - 1152
    AIB - 1012
    BOI - 735 / 800 for prestige
    AnP - 767

Try GMHD brokers from Kerry. They got me sorted on an unbelievable quote for my BMW 325i

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Try GMHD brokers from Kerry. They got me sorted on an unbelievable quote for my BMW 325i

Underwritten by who?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

dodzy wrote: »
    Underwritten by who?

My policy is underwritten by RSA, but they’re not tied to a single insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

Just got my renewal letter in the post.

29 years old
    10 years full license
    10 years ncb
    Ncb protected
    Fully comp

152 VW CC R-line DSG 177 bhp

Last year it was €775 with Aviva and quoted me €602 this year

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Car type and engine: 2013 Leaf
    years driving: 10+
    any claims:0
    Price and provider:€612 AA

AA charged €498 last year
    After seeing a increase of over 20% to €612 -- I said sod this
    And looked around
    Best quotes being BOI and Zurich
    Went back to AA and said I am not renewing and just send on the no claims form
    After a bit of this and that
    AA went down €150 --approx 20 euro more then the other 2
    I am away for a few weeks so did not want to mess around too much

But saved 150 this time and next year will definitly move if not the lowest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

Make sense of this for me!

Details: Male, 37, full licence 10+ years, NCB 10+ years, 0 points
    Car: 2004 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Got my renewal email from 123 which quoted me €811, fully comp, NCB protection, etc. which is about 30 quid cheaper than last year. I've been with them for many years, always found them to be very competitive with a high level of cover, but always go and do the usual shopping around online for other quotes, just in case. Most places coming in around the same price for similar level of cover, so was leaning towards just renewing again with 123.

Had a look through the renewal policy details and I see the vehicle value set at €5000, which is obviously ridiculously overvalued, so I went back on to 123.ie to get a new quote with the car value at €1000. This gave me a quote of €593. Result!

Then, just for the craic, I decided to get another new quote, but using all the same details as from my renewal quote, ie the car valued at €5000. This gave me a quote of €490! :eek:

So getting a new quote using exact same details, with the exact same company, somehow works out the best part of 50% cheaper compared to renewing my current policy. I'm totally baffled :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Online quotes ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Online quotes ? :confused:

Yes, online

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

You should bump the value up to €20,000 and you might get it cheaper again. When I was calling for quotes for my 2004 Corolla a few years back I was actively encouraged to bump up the value of the car considerably to get a lower premium. When I suggested I was doing the same to a guy doing the same the following year when calling for quotes he snapped the head of me.

The likes of 123.ie are cheap but will fleece you if you are making a change to your policy part way through. Also they definitely wouldn't be the best out there to be dealing with if your making a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sderref

Male 43y 10+ exp/ncb, Irish licence
    second driver: Female 28y, Irish learner permit
    Car: 2005 Suzuki Ignis

Last year 570
    Aviva: renewal 458

AIG 1400
    Allianz 1093
    AXA 1300
    Zurich no quote
    Liberty: 1450
    123 1470
    Kennco: 1200
    FBD no quote

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Micheal H wrote: »
    Make sense of this for me!

Details: Male, 37, full licence 10+ years, NCB 10+ years, 0 points
    Car: 2004 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Got my renewal email from 123 which quoted me €811, fully comp, NCB protection, etc. which is about 30 quid cheaper than last year. I've been with them for many years, always found them to be very competitive with a high level of cover, but always go and do the usual shopping around online for other quotes, just in case. Most places coming in around the same price for similar level of cover, so was leaning towards just renewing again with 123.

Had a look through the renewal policy details and I see the vehicle value set at €5000, which is obviously ridiculously overvalued, so I went back on to 123.ie to get a new quote with the car value at €1000. This gave me a quote of €593. Result!

Then, just for the craic, I decided to get another new quote, but using all the same details as from my renewal quote, ie the car valued at €5000. This gave me a quote of €490! :eek:

So getting a new quote using exact same details, with the exact same company, somehow works out the best part of 50% cheaper compared to renewing my current policy. I'm totally baffled :confused:

7000€ seems to be the magic number for me. Car is a 00 318ci. Tried most of the values, 7000 give me the cheapest premium

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭A Law

Your Age: 33 and wife 33
    Car type and engine: 318ci BMW
    years driving: 16
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: tpft 380 with multicar discount from wife's car. 123.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

The likes of 123.ie are cheap but will fleece you if you are making a change to your policy part way through. Also they definitely wouldn't be the best out there to be dealing with if your making a claim.

They really that bad? Coming in at the cheapest for me this year at 936. Liberty will come to within 30 euro of it after chatting on the phone. Everyone else is coming in at 1100 to 1900.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

What do you guys tell the insurance folks if you want them to reduce the price? I got a quote from Liberty that I'm actually happy with, but noticed folks were able to get a cheaper quote when they call the insurance directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

I had a better quote from another company and asked if they could match it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Reisers

Amouar wrote: »
    What do you guys tell the insurance folks if you want them to reduce the price? I got a quote from Liberty that I'm actually happy with, but noticed folks were able to get a cheaper quote when they call the insurance directly.

you can say you're going to shop around and whats their best price

no need to make up fake quotes

Amouar wrote: »

Just ask for a better quote. House ins renewal today. Renewal was 345. Spoke to them ,changed nothing and renewed for 292.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

I'm currently with its4women but my renewal quote didn't arrive yet despite only 21 days left before my policy expires.

I was looking around for quotes and Liberty gave me the best quote. I ringed them and they knocked 50 euros off the price. I'm now happy with the quote but still curious to see its4women's renewal quote. I tried getting a new quote from them and the price was more expensive to what Liberty is offering me. I guess the renewal quote would be the same or renewals are generally cheaper compared to new quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Both my own and my wife's polices were due for renewal. Tried to get a deal for both policies.

Wife:
    Car: 2005 Corolla 1.4 Petrol
    Cover: Comprehensive
    NCD: 10+ years
    Penalty points: None
    Aviva renewal: €533
    Done a few quotes some were similar some much more expensive.
    Renewed with 123.ie for €478 including multicar discount.

Me:
    Car: 2013 Mondeo 140bhp
    Aviva renewal: €658
    Renewed with 123.ie for €440 including multicar discount.

Same level of cover/excess/bonus protection as Aviva.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    Both my own and my wife's polices were due for renewal. Tried to get a deal for both policies.

Wife:
    Car: 2005 Corolla 1.4 Petrol
    Aviva renewal: €533
    Done a few quotes some were similar some much more expensive.
    Renewed with 123.ie for €478 including multicar discount.

Me:
    Car: 2013 Mondeo 140bhp
    Renewed with 123.ie for €440 including multicar discount.

Same level of cover/excess/bonus protection as Aviva.

Jesus their very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just took out my new insurance there was shocked by renewal quote and struggled to find anywhere less than €800

Me:
    Car: 2016 Golf GTD
    Cover: Comprehensive class 1
    Cornmarket renewal: €1250
    Renewed with 123.ie for €480

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FatimaKid

Aviva - what's going on?

Wife:
    Car: 2006 Jetta 1.6 Petrol
    Current premium: €404
    Aviva renewal: €410
    Increase: €6 or about 1.5%

Me:
    Car: 2014 Mondeo 140bhp
    Current premium: €420
    Increase: €238 or about 57%

What do Aviva say to justify that?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Had an accident in June, got my renewal quote from AXA last week. All I can say is shock horror 😳

Car: 2005 VW Polo 1.2l Petrol
    NCB: 0 (Was 3, they've taken it off me)
    Claims: 1 open
    Price: €2713 Comp. (Up from €750)

• Advertisement

No protected no claims bonus?

Advertisement