Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

derekbro wrote: »
    I have it for over a year, haven't had to claim but when I was looking at the cover it seemed roughly the same as other providers such as multitrip.com

Thanks, the cover looks good and the cost is a fair bit less than I'm being quoted online.

Might chance it !

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Thanks, the cover looks good and the cost is a fair bit less than I'm being quoted online.

Might chance it !

I'd pay close attention to the value of the coverage of the medical expenses.

I'd pay close attention to the value of the coverage of the medical expenses.

Maybe you could help me with that ?

Would it be similar to a company ?

Don't think I've ever had travel insurance before !

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Maybe you could help me with that ?

Would it be similar to a company ?

Don't think I've ever had travel insurance before !

Medical treatment in the US is seriously expensive, even for relatively minor things. The policy should outline how much is covered for medical expenses. The Revolut insurance is probably a bit of an unknown entity for most of the posters here. I'm not sure who underwrites Revolut's insurance. I'd probably stick with travel insurance from a well known provider... especially if I was going to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

You’re better off going with a well known provider as medical expenses are extremely expensive in America.

• Advertisement

Medical treatment in the US is seriously expensive, even for relatively minor things. The policy should outline how much is covered for medical expenses. The Revolut insurance is probably a bit of an unknown entity for most of the posters here. I'm not sure who underwrites Revolut's insurance. I'd probably stick with travel insurance from a well known provider... especially if I was going to the US.

The app does give policy info before purchasing

It's travel insurance is done by white horse insurance. They are based in Ireland it seems and they cover Ireland, UK and more for selling insurance for different companies.

They seemed to have something to do with Thomas cooke too for paying out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Most importantly; what's their phone number incase you need to contact them? That'd be my first concern

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Most importantly; what's their phone number incase you need to contact them? That'd be my first concern

+44 1733 224956

All the info about coverage, provider, limits and other info is here:

https://www.revolut.com/help/exploring-revolut/insuring-my-travel

+44 1733 224956

At least they have a number for their insurance :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

+44 1733 224956

It's very light on details compared to a more traditional insurance provider and you don't see the full T&Cs until you've signed up. I'd be wary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Quick question, I've used Revolut numerous times before to order from Amazon but this morning after a purchase I got a notification on my phone from Revolut about Amazon card authentication but when I click into the app the purchase just shows as €0 from Amazon and doesn't give any follow on instructions. Is there something I need to do or will things sort themselves out?

markc1184 wrote: »
    Quick question, I've used Revolut numerous times before to order from Amazon but this morning after a purchase I got a notification on my phone from Revolut about Amazon card authentication but when I click into the app the purchase just shows as €0 from Amazon and doesn't give any follow on instructions. Is there something I need to do or will things sort themselves out?

I think that's fine. It's usually a "card authorisation request"
    A lot of times, Amazon dont request the money immediately. I think of it like a check from Amazon, to make sure the account exists initially.
    The full transaction usually comes through on the same day in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

A lot of times, Amazon dont request the money immediately. I think of it like a check from Amazon, to make sure the account exists initially.

Or sometimes they charge when they ship.

A lot of people here use the following tip when purchasing from Amazon which is especially useful if you don't keep a balance much higher than your purchases on revolut.:-

When you know the total for you Amazon purchase, including Irish VAT @23%, and shipping if applicable. Purchase an Amazon gift card for this value and use that to pay for the purchases. The gift card purchase goes through immediately (at a known fex rate) and you won't then have any issues if part payments or pre-authorisations etc are attempted by Amazon from Revolut later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Thanks, this seems to have been what happened. I got the usual revolut notification about 45 minutes after my initial post here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Just wondering if anyone has an experience of chargeback with Revolut?

I registered a very straightforward claim, supported by evidence. It look them weeks to register the request despite follow ups and they are applying 45 days which applies to MasterCard even though it should be visa

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

New user of Revolut, bit confused.

I'm trying to topup my account. I live in the UK, but my bank account is in Ireland (BOI) and in euros. My Revolut account, on the other hand, is registered to the UK. To add to the confusion, my BOI debit card is also registered to my UK address.

Anyway as I've understood it from reading on here, it's best to add the money from my account to Revolut in EUR (to avoid BOI charges?) and then Revolut will take care of the exchange later.

So I'm pressing 'add money' and typing in the amount i want to add (from my debit card) - if I type it in GBP all seems good but if I type it in EUR the proceed/next button is greyed out and I can't go any further.

Am I doing something wrong here? If i 'add money' in GBP will I get charged currency exchange rates from BOI? Because that's why I'm avoiding it.

Should I do this by bank transfer instead or would that solve the issue?

Sorry if this is confusing, it's obviously confusing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Not sure why that's happening. Contact support I reckon.

Use the bank transfer option for now. It's very quick.

Just wondering if anyone has an experience of chargeback with Revolut?

I registered a very straightforward claim, supported by evidence. It look them weeks to register the request despite follow ups and they are applying 45 days which applies to MasterCard even though it should be visa

I had a chargeback refunded within 2 days of submitting the form.

Search 'chargeback' on this thread and you'll find my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

T&Cs here: https://tinyurl.com/s8wbbsx (22 page pdf)
    It's very light on details compared to a more traditional insurance provider and you don't see the full T&Cs until you've signed up. I'd be wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Not sure why that's happening. Contact support I reckon.

Use the bank transfer option for now. It's very quick.

Revoluts bank transfers are quick

Bank of Ireland transfers are the slowest thing known to man

• Advertisement

re. €200 monthly (fee free) withdrawal limit...

Heading over to Thailand soon, and between Curve / Revolut I can get €400 fee free (minus local ATM charges).

However, say I withdraw €205 ... I presume i'm only charged 2% of the €5, and not 2% of €205?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

re. €200 monthly (fee free) withdrawal limit...

Heading over to Thailand soon, and between Curve / Revolut I can get €400 fee free (minus local ATM charges).

However, say I withdraw €205 ... I presume i'm only charged 2% of the €5, and not 2% of €205?

Try and use POS as much as you can over there. Every atm charges about 200 thb.
    Some of the atm's only let you withdraw 10,000 at a time so if you need more that will cost 400 baht as 2 transactions.
    I'm just going through some old transactions and it looks like you are only charged 2% of what you went over the limit by and not the whole amount.

Also note that some shops won't accept visa, only mastercard. But i'm pretty sure they might have fixed all that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Got a notification there saying that there's some kind of issue on the app with topping up by card.

Sorry to ask a stupid question but if I do the bank transfer from BOI will they charge me extra for sending money to Revolut (which is UK-based)?

I'm doing an expensive loan purchase thingy so want to make sure I'm not completely fleeced on exchange fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,429 ✭✭✭TheChizler

When you make a SEPA payment the bank can only charge what they would charge for a local payment, so free if you have free banking. Maybe a few cent otherwise.

They won't be charging you exchange fees are you're sending Euro.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Try and use POS as much as you can over there. Every atm charges about 200 thb.
    Some of the atm's only let you withdraw 10,000 at a time so if you need more that will cost 400 baht as 2 transactions.
    I'm just going through some old transactions and it looks like you are only charged 2% of what you went over the limit by and not the whole amount.

Also note that some shops won't accept visa, only mastercard. But i'm pretty sure they might have fixed all that now.

Thanks.

ATM fee is 220THB.

Never had a problem withdrawing 20,000THB in recent years (although can't remember if this was only ATM connected to a bank, as opposed to standalone).

This is our 9th trip to Thailand, it's still very much a cash country. Accom all paid for online so this is just for spending money and diving / boat trips etc.

We'll be bringing some cash to help the burden on terrible exchange rate, at least we'll avoid the cross border and ATM fees.

When we run out of cash we'll just use curve and revolut and then back to our traditional withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Is chargeback available on Revolut Visa cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Quintis wrote: »
    Is chargeback available on Revolut Visa cards?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Thanks.

ATM fee is 220THB.

Never had a problem withdrawing 20,000THB in recent years (although can't remember if this was only ATM connected to a bank, as opposed to standalone).

This is our 9th trip to Thailand, it's still very much a cash country. Accom all paid for online so this is just for spending money and diving / boat trips etc.

We'll be bringing some cash to help the burden on terrible exchange rate, at least we'll avoid the cross border and ATM fees.

When we run out of cash we'll just use curve and revolut and then back to our traditional withdrawal.

Ye the rate is not as good as it used to be and prices have also shot up. It's quite noticeable too . Many people choosing the likes of Cambodia and Vietnam now for more value for money.
    I have somewhere to stay and also use of a Thai bank account so it's not too bad but still good to have your revolut card as backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

"You will have noticed that we recently updated our privacy policy. In true Revolut style, we want you to decide how we can and cannot use your data.

Many companies routinely share user data so that they can create more targeted advertising, and build more relevant products. However, some recent high-profile cases have shown that this doesn’t always happen in a clear and ethical way. Things get buried in the small print, and opt-out options are confusing. This is unacceptable, but together, we can make sure you fully understand how data works here at Revolut and how you can opt out at any time if you want to.

Note: This ought to go without saying, but we will never sell your data to third parties, or share your data in a way that allows third parties to market their products to you.

Data for social media & advertising platforms

One way we use data is by sharing your name, email address, and certain app activity* with third-party social media platforms for marketing purposes. Basically, this helps us to advertise our products and services to you and other people like you.

*App activity means things that you do in the app, such as installing it, ordering a card, opening your dashboard.

You may, of course, not want Revolut to share this type of information, and that is 100% understandable. If you would like to opt out, simply open the app and go to Dashboard > Settings > Privacy, then deselect Social media & advertising platforms.

Data for credit products

So that we can create market leading credit products in the future, we need to understand more about our customers. To do this, we’ll send your name, address, and date of birth, to credit bureaus automatically. Rest assured, this will not affect your credit score, and it only applies to UK customers.

If you’re okay with this, then there’s nothing to do. If you would prefer to opt out, simply open the app and go to Dashboard > Settings > Privacy, then deselect the toggle under Credit.

Please note: You will need to update to Revolut version 6.18 or later in the App Store or Play Store, in order to see both of the opt-out switches we’ve described above in your privacy settings."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

My wife want's to sign up her father to revolut so she can easily send him money but he doesn't have a passport and they won't accept driving licence, anyone know what other id he could use?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement