Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Since it's Thanksgiving in the US does that mean Revolut will charge 2% conversion fee on Thursday/Friday? Is there a way to confirm this in the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/help/getting-started/exchanging-currencies/what-foreign-exchange-rate-will-i-get

"...On the weekend (Sat-Sun London time) the provided rates are fixed to protect against fluctuations, this means there are markups of:..."

soirish wrote: »
    Since it's Thanksgiving in the US does that mean Revolut will charge 2% conversion fee on Thursday/Friday? Is there a way to confirm this in the app?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Thanks, but my question wasn't about the weekends. Wanted to confirm if there are commissions on Thursday/Friday this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Thanks, but my question wasn't about the weekends. Wanted to confirm if there are commissions on Thursday/Friday this week.

They answered your question in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Its not thanksgiving everywhere so there will be currency markets open (unlike sat & sun) therefore I guess there will NOT be the FEX surcharge imposed by Revolut. [just my uninformed opinion]

Suggest you ask in-app chat, and let us know how you get on.

Also note that the surcharge for weekend exchange is only +0.5% for USD not the 2% you referenced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

To explain further...If you would take the time to click on the link provided below, read, study & understand it you will discover that Revolut forex works on UK time. Therefor there will be nothing extra added during this US holiday.
    https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/help/g...ate-will-i-get

"...On the weekend (Sat-Sun London time) the provided rates are fixed to protect against fluctuations, this means there are markups of:..."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The key was not about weekends, but the fact that it only applies to London time and UK bank holidays being a UK bank.

If you want a more definitive answer, you may have to ask support.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all I'm going up to newry tomorrow to do some shopping can anyone tell me what is the best way to use my revo card to get the best exchange rate.cheers all new to using this card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all I'm going up to newry tomorrow to do some shopping can anyone tell me what is the best way to use my revo card to get the best exchange rate.cheers all new to using this card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

massy086 wrote: »

Lodge cash in Euro and just spend as you go, Revolut will convert as you spend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

massy086 wrote: »

Make sure to check what the display on the card machine says. Last time I was in NI they frequently offered me to pay in Euro. Always select Pounds, otherwise you will be fleeced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This has probably been answered many times back in the thread but -

The app won't let me set up Beneficiaries, when I go to enter my domestic bank account to transfer money back out it tells me the IBAN is invalid.

I'm with PTSB and their only IBAN is IPBSIE2D . It was suggested to enter IPBSIE2DXXX instead (with and without spaces etc) and nothing has worked.

Help!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This has probably been answered many times back in the thread but -

The app won't let me set up Beneficiaries, when I go to enter my domestic bank account to transfer money back out it tells me the IBAN is invalid.

I'm with PTSB and their only IBAN is IPBSIE2D . It was suggested to enter IPBSIE2DXXX instead (with and without spaces etc) and nothing has worked.

Help!

That is the BIC not the IBAN. Your IBAN is unique to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That is the BIC not the IBAN. Your IBAN is unique to your account.

Yeah thats what I did, thicko mistake 101!! Thanks :D

Why the big hoo-ha in the app today about “direct debits are here”. Haven’t they always been available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Why the big hoo-ha in the app today about “direct debits are here”. Haven’t they always been available?

Direct Debits only used to work on your IBAN as part of the € SEPA rules.

Now you can use your British Account and Sort code for British direct debits in £.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Used revolut card in atm today for first time, took out €20 and got charged €3.95 plus 12c irish stamp duty.
    Thought atmwas free upto €200 every 30 days, it was boi atm outside boi bank

Used revolut card in atm today for first time, took out €20 and got charged €3.95 plus 12c irish stamp duty.
    Thought atmwas free upto €200 every 30 days, it was boi atm outside boi bank

Did the ATM offer to charge you in sterling? Some Revolut cards are recognised as being UK cards.
    Did you accept at the ATMs conversion rate?
    If so it could be DCC ... see the following two links for details.
    1. Transferwise explains DCC
    2. Revolut on DCC
    12c stamp duty is normal up to €5 max per year.

Q. Was the ATM in a shop or pub? Or was it one associated with a mainstream bank, AIB,BOI etc? Some "private" ATMs add on a charge per transaction, irrespective of what card you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

BBVA ATM in Spain charged me 1.70 for the pleasure of using the ATM. Cheeky b*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Ush1 wrote: »
    BBVA ATM in Spain charged me 1.70 for the pleasure of using the ATM. Cheeky b*stards.

lots of ATMS charge, its quite common accross the world

I've had it in Albufueira, Rome, NYC, and seen non bank branded ones in the UK advise this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Just on H&M website (.com) and picked 3 items, comes to 35.97e go to check out , pay by paypal , chose revolut and all of a sudden its in Sterling, go through with transaction and its 37.30e im finally charged. As in its gone against me to use Revolut ... What did i do wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

BKWDR wrote: »
    Just on H&M website (.com) and picked 3 items, comes to 35.97e go to check out , pay by paypal , chose revolut and all of a sudden its in Sterling, go through with transaction and its 37.30e im finally charged. As in its gone against me to use Revolut ... What did i do wrong?

paypal conversion rates are awful

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

threein99 wrote: »
    I just ordered a second card for my Revolut account and use that as a joint account, we can both top up the Revolut account from our own Bank Accounts then

Hey - I was thinking of doing the same and was wondering has this worked out for you? Are you both able to access the app on your separate phones? How do you order a second card?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I've had it in Albufueira, Rome, NYC, and seen non bank branded ones in the UK advise this

Yeah it did warn me beforehand to be fair.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ush1 wrote: »

Nearly all the major banks' ATMs in Spain now charge non-customers. The only I can think of off the top of my head that don't (as of my most recent trip to Spain) are La Caixa and Bankinter.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It's not the norm in most European countries for the banks' own ATMs (as opposed to non-bank 'convenience' ATMs) to charge. It has become the norm in Spain in recent years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

BKWDR wrote:

You need to set the card in paypal to do its own conversion, not let paypal do it

BKWDR wrote: »
    You need to set the card in paypal to do its own conversion, not let paypal do it

Aaargh!! I just got caught too (different website) - and I normally spot it and choose for Paypal NOT to do the conversion. Worked out the rate Paypal gave me cost me 4% more.

REMINDER: be patient at checkout and double check for sneaky paypal or other merchant performing the currency conversion at a crap rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

msmx5 wrote: »
    Aaargh!! I just got caught too (different website) - and I normally spot it and choose for Paypal NOT to do the conversion. Worked out the rate Paypal gave me cost me 4% more.

REMINDER: be patient at checkout and double check for sneaky paypal or other merchant performing the currency conversion at a crap rate.

I honestly am savy enough and could not see a way of changing it.

Ah well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement