Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My wife uses her Revolut card with her Fitbit, she doesn’t have a premium account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Aquos76 wrote: »
    My wife uses her Revolut card with her Fitbit, she doesn’t have a premium account.

Does she have an original revolut account that used Mastercard

Wont add VISA for me and fitbit say they only use mastercard for Fitbit Pay in Ireland, and only way i presume i can get mastercard is by signing up to premium

Well she has her account a few years now, I remember they offered her a free replacement for her MasterCard last year, they mentioned something about issues with London Underground or something, she got the free replacement ok, but she only uses the MasterCard as her main card. Her expiry isn’t up till 2022 I think so lucky for her here Fitbit pay will be fine till then.

Slightly off topic thou, I’d say she’ll be jumping ship to an Apple Watch soon due to constant issues with Fitbit and they not giving a ****e about fixing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Mr.S wrote: »
    I used to get my salary paid into mine and used it as a daily driver, but the downtime frequency made me switch bank to an Irish bank. Not that frequency, but enough to make it annoying.

I’ll probably go back at some point as I use daily anyway and just top in larger increments.

Downtime where you couldn't use your account?

Yeah, that would be a deal breaker. Never had that with an Irish bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Ush1 wrote: »
    Downtime where you couldn't use your account?

Yeah, that would be a deal breaker. Never had that with an Irish bank.

Not unheard of:

https://fora.ie/aib-business-banking-out-3046875-Oct2016/

https://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/3080884/natwest-online-banking-outage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

What is the benefit of this card and is it useful?

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Smile111 wrote: »
    What is the benefit of this card and is it useful?

The website is pretty good as describing the features, functionality and costs, have a look here: https://www.revolut.com/en-IE

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Smile111

Would saving old skool in a money box not really do the same job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Smile111 wrote: »
    Would saving old skool in a money box not really do the same job?

I think you didn't grasp the usages. It's a visa for many currencies. It allows you lodge Euro and spend in UK sterling/US Dollar etc getting the exact exchange rate at the time with no transaction fee. This allows you buy on sites like Amazon.co.uk in sterling and save money, Amazon always screw you on the transaction rate if your pay in Euro, your Irish bank do if you pay in sterling.

The app offers many features the normal banks don't offer. It allows you create virtual visa cards, use them online and disable or delete after. You can also freeze or disable contactless on the physical card in the app. You can even set spending limits or add your loose change to a savings vault which rounds up all your transactions (this is brilliant, I have 800+ in my vault in the last 6 months without even noticing). The Revolut visa works with Google and Apple pay (my PTSB visa debit doesn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ush1 wrote: »
    Anybody get there salary paid into their Revolut account and use it for all banking?

It's tempting as I use very little cash and it seems to have all the functionality.

I've been doing this for nearly a year, have credit cards already so closed my Irish and UK bank accounts, the former only a couple of days ago but I get paid into the UK one so it made no difference anyway.

Only way it might bite you is if you haven't got a decent credit history already and go to get a mortgage in future, otherwise there is no compelling reason to go with a brick and mortar bank. I have an N26 as a backup and my credit cards for day-to-day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Compelling reason #1 for having a bank account along with Revolut: direct debits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Compelling reason #1 for having a bank account along with Revolut: direct debits.

Did you know, that the majority of irish people don't trust banks and certainly don't like to opt in to direct debits ? Not even after SEPA gave them a lot more rights.

Just saying :p

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I didn't know that to be honest. Never had any issues with a direct debit, myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I am expecting to receive less than 500 euros from a non-euro country.
    Usually AIB charged me 7.5euros as transaction fees. Does anyone know if I give out my Revolut EUR account details and maybe we could avoid this charge?

Thanks

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Usually AIB charged me 7.5euros as transaction fees. Does anyone know if I give out my Revolut EUR account details and maybe we could avoid this charge?

Thanks

Yes, just make sure to provide your Revolut account's SWIFT details rather than the SEPA details. Revolut won't charge you themselves but they'll pass on any other intermediary banks' charges (if any) so you're not absolutely guaranteed to receive the full amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I had opted out before and just now the updated the app and the wording changed and sharing with third parties was enabled again. I'm in Android btw.
    What a shower of cnuts.

495230.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Reminds me of about 3:10 into this video.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mr.S wrote: »
    Am I missing something? Direct Debit is possible with Revolut?

Some Irish utility companies - wrongly - can’t set up direct debits on non-Irish accounts.

I had opted out before and just now the updated the app and the wording changed and sharing with third parties was enabled again. I'm in Android btw.
    What a shower of cnuts.

I]

Why do people care about this stuff so much? The amount of energy people are expelling over the past few pages getting worked up about this is very strange.

I wouldn't even know or care the opt in/out page in the app existed if it wasn’t for seeing people on about it here. Knowing it’s there I still left on the options as I’d be interested in seeing what they send my way from a marketing perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Thanks
    Quackster wrote: »
    Yes, just make sure to provide your Revolut account's SWIFT details rather than the SEPA details. Revolut won't charge you themselves but they'll pass on any other intermediary banks' charges (if any) so you're not absolutely guaranteed to receive the full amount.

What currency are you expecting to receive?

The following are supported:-
    AED, AUD, BGN, CAD, CHF, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HRK, HUF, ILS, JPY, MXN, NOK, NZD, PLN, QAR, RON, RUB, SAR, SEK, SGD, THB, TRY, USD, ZAR.

If you don't have a local account number for the currency in revolut app you will need to make sure the sender uses the 8-digit reference number highlighted in pink on your account page with no other text. . . . or alternatively send a rev.me payment link to whoever is sending you the money in their currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 robdmck

Just got an account to pay a friend, seems handy. I was offer a link to share so other people signing up can get free money..<mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just want to ask again, never got an answer last time

Heading on holidays to USA very soon

Would I be safe enough with the revolut overseas medical insurance ? (Free account only)

Or should I go with multitrip or whichever travel insurance company ?

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Is there an age limit to get an account?

hawkelady wrote: »
    Is there an age limit to get an account?

Yep, 18, they had mentioned bring out some sort of teenager account in 2019 but it hasn’t materialised yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Forever21

Just want to ask again, never got an answer last time

Heading on holidays to USA very soon

Would I be safe enough with the revolut overseas medical insurance ? (Free account only)

Or should I go with multitrip or whichever travel insurance company ?

Thanks !

I personally wouldn’t travel to America without my own travel insurance. If you’ve health insurance you’ll get yearly for about €55 world wide. If no health insurance AIB do a good one as well. Don’t travel to America without your own in place for the sake of a few euros.

Forever21 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn’t travel to America without my own travel insurance. If you’ve health insurance you’ll get yearly for about €55 world wide. If no health insurance AIB do a good one as well. Don’t travel to America without your own in place for the sake of a few euros.

I don't want to go without it, definitely

But would the travel insurance from the revolut app be enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't want to go without it, definitely

But would the travel insurance from the revolut app be enough ?

What does it cover?

What does it cover?

Well it's all outlined in the app and it looks good but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or should I go an insurance supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Well it's all outlined in the app and it looks good but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience or should I go an insurance supplier

What looks good? I had a look in the app and there's no detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

I have it for over a year, haven't had to claim but when I was looking at the cover it seemed roughly the same as other providers such as multitrip.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement