Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Has anyone been getting dog slow top up times on Revolut lately? Topping up with my PTSB debit card and it has taken 10-30 mins for my top ups to go through. Has stung me a couple of times now.

Yep, still waiting on my AIB debit card to top up the account. And a seller is waiting on PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Has anyone been getting dog slow top up times on Revolut lately? Topping up with my PTSB debit card and it has taken 10-30 mins for my top ups to go through. Has stung me a couple of times now.

Nope

Probably your bank. I've BOI. Instant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

My top up is still melting my head asking for the CVV and a verification code via SMS every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Doge wrote: »
    Yep, still waiting on my AIB debit card to top up the account. And a seller is waiting on PayPal

I top up using an AIB debit card via Google Pay and have never had any waiting time in several years of usage. Maybe GPay is quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Topped up with PTSB debit card twice today, was instantaneous both times.

Bought an item via Paypal three days ago. Forgot to turn on online transactions. Did it again seconds later and all seemed ok. Item has been posted and PayPal account says paid but money is still on my card.
    I know it'll be taken at sometime but unusual that I've used it on PayPal twice since and the money has been taken instantly each time for the later transactions. I just keep getting excited when I look at my balance and it's e100 more than it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

grimm2005 wrote: »
    I top up using an AIB debit card via Google Pay and have never had any waiting time in several years of usage. Maybe GPay is quicker?

I'm glad I read your post. I didn't know you could top up with Google Pay. I switched to KBC recently from Ulster Bank and every time I wanted to top up my Revolut with my KBC credit card, KBC/Mastercard said they'd sent me a text with a verification code. I never ever got the text. I'm not sure if the text was originating from KBC or Mastercard. I always ended up having to ring KBC any time I wanted to top up my Revolut card. I just added my KBC credit card to my Google Pay account there (I got verification code from KBC) and topped up successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What fees?

I'm being charged €10 to get the physical card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Soulsun wrote: »

I got mine free a few years back. I suppose its a once off fee so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I got mine free a few years back. I suppose its a once off fee so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I have some invites for a free revolut card which expire in 3 days - PM me and I'll share the code

Their conditions for a free card are:
    Please note: A friend can only receive their first card for free if they have not signed up to Revolut before. For verification purposes, we require customers to top up their account with £10 (or equivalent) before ordering the free card. This is not a fee for the card and can be immediately spent with your Revolut card or transferred back to your original bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Just wait a week or two before ordering the physical card, as was mentioned numerous times in this thread, Revolut will normally offer you a free physical card after a few weeks (if you haven't already paid for delivery - i thought standard delivery was €6.99). The €10 could be the amount they want you to top up by when opening account "For verification purposes" That will remain in your account and available to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Anyone having problems adding funds to their Lottery account using Revolut?

It has worked fine for months but this past 2 days I'm getting "The transaction was declined. Please contact your bank." on the lottery website .... and nothing is showing on Revolut to indicate a declined transaction. It's only €20 I'm trying to add

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

dollylama wrote: »
    Anyone having problems adding funds to their Lottery account using Revolut?

It has worked fine for months but this past 2 days I'm getting "The transaction was declined. Please contact your bank." on the lottery website .... and nothing is showing on Revolut to indicate a declined transaction. It's only €20 I'm trying to add

I think they have launched a new feature that recognises a gambling problem :D

I've never been able to add funds to my lotto with it. Ended up having to stop playing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Revolut at risk of losing its European banking licence.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/revolut-kremlin-lithuania-banking-license

Something to keep an eye on. I only use revolut for sterling purchases so don't keep it loaded with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

.G. wrote: »

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/companies/revolut-kremlin-lithuania-banking-license

Something to keep an eye on. I only use revolut for sterling purchases so don't keep it loaded with cash.

That won't affect us really, because they also applied for an eMoney license in Luxembourg, the same as what they currently operate under in the UK.

The banking license allows them to give credit facilities. Something we don't have anyhow currently.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

This isn't good news at all. It scares me off to be honest.

Time to withdraw and cancel the account?

I might have to open N26 or something now, to keep my non euro transaction fees down.

The Haven wrote: »

I might have to open N26 or something now, to keep my non euro transaction fees down.

N26 is a pain in the hole (for my use case anyway) as you can only top up by bank transfer so it takes days every time.

N26 is a pain in the hole (for my use case anyway) as you can only top up by bank transfer so it takes days every time.

I have both Revolut Metal and N26 Business. I find Revolut the more flexible of the two, for sure ... and use it a lot more.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Using Revolut for the first time next weekend when I am in the UK, and hopefully will be an ideal dry-run for the US less than a fortnight later.

I have the general jist of it, but have one question. Am I better off topping up my Euro account and transfering that into Sterling (dollars) or directly topping up my sterling account via my bank card that is linked to the account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Using Revolut for the first time next weekend when I am in the UK, and hopefully will be an ideal dry-run for the US less than a fortnight later.

I have the general jist of it, but have one question. Am I better off topping up my Euro account and transfering that into Sterling (dollars) or directly topping up my sterling account via my bank card that is linked to the account?

Top up in Euro, leave it in Euro and it will be converted as you need it (assuming your bank account is Euro)

Top up in Euro, leave it in Euro and it will be converted as you need it (assuming your bank account is Euro)

Oh so I don't even have to convert it across to sterling then? So if I pre-load the card with say €200, any transactions will be made in sterling?

Thanks for your help.

Oh so I don't even have to convert it across to sterling then? So if I pre-load the card with say €200, any transactions will be made in sterling?

Thanks for your help.

Yeah I withdrew from an ATM in the UK at the weekend and just selected not to do the ATM's own bank conversion (they wanted €134 for £100!!). It came off my card as €118 as it took it directly in £ and let Revolut convert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Thanks for your help.

Nope, it converts it automatically as you need it giving you the exchange rate of the day

Thanks for the clarification lads.

Less hassle so

The exchange rate may just be a little bit costlier on weekends, as they don't know what it will cost them on the following Monday.

So for a weekend, it makes sense to covert some of it on the Thursday or Friday ahead. Just as much as you think you need or a bit less.

It's up to you. It generally hasn't bothered me, so I never convert ahead. Always take the spot rates.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

.G. wrote: »

I find it strange that there's bad press about Revoult every couple of months, it makes me wonder if there is some conspiracy going on between the 'Real Banks'.

I find it strange that there's bad press about Revoult every couple of months, it makes me wonder if there is some conspiracy going on between the 'Real Banks'.

It just tells you how good they are ;)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I have a question and a tip. Question is about using Curve as I think there's a few Revolut users here that have a Curve card too. Does anybody know if there's a charge for using Curve in an ATM to withdraw cash via the Revolut card in Ireland? I don't think there should be, but I'm asking because I know there's a €5 charge (12c per transaction up to €5 afaik) for using the Revolut card directly.

The tip I have is using both Curve and Revolut together so you can withdraw up to €400 abroad at ATMs without incurring fees. as both have a €200 limit. Revolut counts ATM withdrawals made using your Curve card as a regular transaction. That's the reason I got Curve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

The Haven wrote:

N26 have had their own issues lately with fraudulent transactions not being caught and not enough staff to keep on top of it but they are growing and will have issues, it's just something to keep an eye on.

I use both and will continue to do so for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement