Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Despite having my Revolut card attached to my Amazon account for years, I still get charged the pending £1 every time I order! It falls off after about a week at the most.

How often do you buy? They tend to do this if you change delivery address, haven't ordered in a while or even if you don't have the card details saved on you Amazon account.

Oh, and as OmegaGene says, by 'they' I mean Amazon, not Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Short few days in Budapest, every where I went took card and been using my revolut card all the time. I must say very happy with the exchange rates and the notifcation of transactions is always spot on.

Saved a small fortune by using it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That is an amazon security check nothing to do with Revolut

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201895660

Yes, I'm aware of that. I was commenting in relation to the person who has/had a similar experience with PayPal.

However, out of interest, I have occasionally used my ordinary credit card on Amazon in the intervening years and the same £1 charge is NOT removed, so it's not quite unrelated to Revolut.

Wheety wrote: »
    How often do you buy? They tend to do this if you change delivery address, haven't ordered in a while or even if you don't have the card details saved on you Amazon account.

Oh, and as OmegaGene says, by 'they' I mean Amazon, not Revolut.

I buy regularly from Amazon - same address, same card, registered on the site - at least twice a month. I also have my credit card registered with Amazon - they never take the £1 charge from that, though I very seldom use it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I buy regularly from Amazon - same address, same card, registered on the site - at least twice a month. I also have my credit card registered with Amazon - they never take the £1 charge from that, though I very seldom use it at all!

Its normal for any card.

Nothing to do with Revolut.

It's to check the card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This is probably not anything to do with the Revolut end of things but just on the off chance someone has had the same.

I got a new ATM card from my Bank (BOI) recently and now when I top up my Revolut with it I always have to enter the CVV again and most of the time I need to do the Verified by Visa thing with the code via SMS. I never had to with my old card, is there anything I can do about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

jakdublin wrote: »
    Anybody else have $1 from Paypal taken from their account. Payment is marked as pending. Just happened to both me and my OH an hour ago.

When you added the revolut a month ago did you verify the account with PayPal, they charge the account with a small feee and there is a verification code on the statement to complete account verification
    I remember doing it when I wanted to withdraw from PayPal to Revolut previously

The internet isn’t for everyone

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Its normal for any card.

Nothing to do with Revolut.

It's to check the card.

It's normal for any card the first time it's used on an account. It's not normal for the same company to continue taking that initial extra charge for every subsequent order. It doesn't happen with my normal credit card, on Amazon or anywhere else. I suspect it's because Revolut is a pre-pay card.

I'm not complaining about this or dissing Revolut - it's a great card - and I'm ok with the charge as it drops off in the end. It's just something that people need to be aware of on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

It's normal for any card the first time it's used on an account. It's not normal for the same company to continue taking that initial extra charge for every subsequent order. It doesn't happen with my normal credit card, on Amazon or anywhere else. I suspect it's because Revolut is a pre-pay card.

I'm not complaining about this or dissing Revolut - it's a great card - and I'm ok with the charge as it drops off in the end. It's just something that people need to be aware of on occasion.

Apart from the first time I used the card on Amazon I've never had this happen.

Happens me everytime I use it on amazon also despite using it very regularly to buy stuff. Always get the 1 pound authorization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Happens me everytime I use it on amazon also despite using it very regularly to buy stuff. Always get the 1 pound authorization.

I think this has something to do with they don't take the money in full until the item/s are ready to ship too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I think this has something to do with they don't take the money in full until the item/s are ready to ship too

Yes, they test the card.

That seems be it.

Happens me many times on the same card.

This is probably not anything to do with the Revolut end of things but just on the off chance someone has had the same.

I got a new ATM card from my Bank (BOI) recently and now when I top up my Revolut with it I always have to enter the CVV again and most of the time I need to do the Verified by Visa thing with the code via SMS. I never had to with my old card, is there anything I can do about it?

Happened to me for a while when topping up with my N26 card. Was annoying to leave the app to approve it in N26 app Doesn't happen now though, just tops up immediately.

Maybe just takes a few top ups to be 'whitelisted'.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Hi all, im new to Revolut and happy with it so far. Set up the account and verified it with passport and selfie, just a few seconds. It works in any shops i use no problem and i have a virtual card i use for online shopping. It wont work for Wish but got around this through Paypal.
    Got my BIC and IBAN and here is my question, they are both UK. Do i have to now request an EU bic/iban because of Brexit. Will they ever have an IE one. Thanks

No you don’t have to do anything

tringle wrote: »
    Hi all, im new to Revolut and happy with it so far. Set up the account and verified it with passport and selfie, just a few seconds. It works in any shops i use no problem and i have a virtual card i use for online shopping. It wont work for Wish but got around this through Paypal.
    Got my BIC and IBAN and here is my question, they are both UK. Do i have to now request an EU bic/iban because of Brexit. Will they ever have an IE one. Thanks

It is a UK account. If you're topping up by bank transfer you'll have to send it as an international transfer using the IBAN. But it shouldn't cost you anything.

But topping up with a card is the quickest.

Noticed this on the app yesterday and forgot to post it here just in case anyone missed it

Scheduled Maintenance
    Heads up! Our UK local payment provider will be doing maintenance on 13th April between 08:00 - 22:00 BST, and 14th April between 05:00 - 14:00 BST. All outbound GBP transfers within UK will be queued and processed upon completion of the maintenance. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact chat support.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Wheety wrote: »

It is a UK account. If you're topping up by bank transfer you'll have to send it as an international transfer using the IBAN. But it shouldn't cost you anything.

But topping up with a card is the quickest.

Thanks, I suppose my question is does it have an option for a non UK account. Im transferring funds into it from my Credit Union. The Revolut account is the only card account i have

Thanks, I suppose my question is does it have an option for a non UK account. Im transferring funds into it from my Credit Union. The Revolut account is the only card account i have

you can transfer from the credit union just add your revolut info as a payee online

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

It's normal for any card the first time it's used on an account. It's not normal for the same company to continue taking that initial extra charge for every subsequent order. It doesn't happen with my normal credit card, on Amazon or anywhere else.
    It probably does happen on your normal credit card but you are just unaware of it as "normal credit cards" normally don't show pre-authorisations in their online apps / or statements. You see it on Revolut as the transaction granularity displayed to users is more detailed.
    ........ It's just something that people need to be aware of on occasion.

Agreed, good to be aware of it. The way Amazon processes payments can be a pain for Revolut users - many here recommend purchasing an Amazon gift card using revolut and pay for the Amazon goods using the gift card to avoid some of the inconvenience.

• Advertisement

No non UK account but you can easily transfer money to it from CU using your IBAN.

msmx5 wrote: »
    It probably does happen on your normal credit card but you are just unaware of it as "normal credit cards" normally don't show pre-authorisations in their online apps / or statements. You see it on Revolut as the transaction granularity displayed to users is more detailed.

Agreed, good to be aware of it. The way Amazon processes payments can be a pain for Revolut users - many here recommend purchasing an Amazon gift card using revolut and pay for the Amazon goods using the gift card to avoid some of the inconvenience.

That could be it alright, though it doesn't appear when I check my CC account online either. No big deal either way :)

Yes, I always use the Amazon gift card option now (they take the £1 for that too). If you buy a lot from Amazon sellers, a barrage of small amounts being debited together frequently triggers a fraud alert and a brief card suspension, so it's the best option IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Bought petrol today and the card went through and off I went. Needed to top up the card after that but noticed the petrol payment hadn't shown up yet. I saw there was a technical issue with Revolut today so figured it would go through later. Now the transaction is showing up in the app but it says the payment was declined. What's my next move?

Bought petrol today and the card went through and off I went. Needed to top up the card after that but noticed the petrol payment hadn't shown up yet. I saw there was a technical issue with Revolut today so figured it would go through later. Now the transaction is showing up in the app but it says the payment was declined. What's my next move?

Go back to the petrol station or give them a call and speak to a manager and explain the situation if you’re worried, worst case scenario the guards call to the door asking you to go back and pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

Hope they get on top of these technical issues. If transactions appear to be going through but then decline, you could see places refuse Revolut cards rather than take a risk.

Working fine for me in the U.K. yesterday and Dublin today

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Go back and pay the petrol🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah card failed for me around 1215 today.. worked approx 1230..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Go back to the petrol station or give them a call and speak to a manager and explain the situation if you’re worried, worst case scenario the guards call to the door asking you to go back and pay
    Is give it a couple of days and see does it sort itself out, people here have reported that kind of thing happening and it normally works out after a couple of days. You don't want to go back and pay again and both payments eventually go through.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is give it a couple of days and see does it sort itself out, people here have reported that kind of thing happening and it normally works out after a couple of days. You don't want to go back and pay again and both payments eventually go through.

That’s why I was saying to talk to the manager because he will know when the shop collect the credit card payments and can wait and process it again if need be
    If it’s explained to a shop assistant they will just charge the card again, I’ve had payments not come up for a few days but never declined

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement