Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s why I was saying to talk to the manager because he will know when the shop collect the credit card payments and can wait and process it again if need be
    If it’s explained to a shop assistant they will just charge the card again, I’ve had payments not come up for a few days but never declined
    Hopefully, but I wouldn't be surprised if the manager asked them to do the exact same thing, and you can't exactly refuse in that situation. Maybe a phone call would be best of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Yeah card failed for me around 1215 today.. worked approx 1230..

The payment was at exactly 12.12! Going to talk to support about it. Don't want to pay and then have the original payment taken later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If you have a receipt you can prove you paid, that way you can leave it a few days and see if the payment goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Go back to the petrol station or give them a call and speak to a manager and explain the situation if you’re worried, worst case scenario the guards call to the door asking you to go back and pay

Why the guards will get involved? The issue here isn't with the customer but rather the issuing e-money (Revolut) and the acquiring bank. Op didn't commit any fraud or theft for the guards to get involved or anything like that, the payment went through as the POS accepted it but then it appears as "cancelled" so it might sort itself out.
    Op, just get in touch with Revolut first via their chat and they should advise on the next step to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

alwald wrote: »
    Why the guards will get involved? The issue here isn't with the customer but rather the issuing e-money (Revolut) and the acquiring bank. Op didn't commit any fraud or theft for the guards to get involved or anything like that, the payment went through as the POS accepted it but then it appears as "cancelled" so it might sort itself out.
    Op, just get in touch with Revolut first via their chat and they should advise on the next step to take.

Nobody mentioned fraud lol
    The payment isn’t coming up cancelled which is something I’ve had in the past and the merchant claims the money at a later date, but in this case it is coming up on the app as declined
    The guards get involved if the money isn’t paid wether it’s a forgetful customer or card rejecting the payment , it’s a regular occurrence with petrol stations and all the guards do is ask you to go back and pay but for some people this can be embarrassing with neighbours

Revolut chat is an idea but last time they told me they were busy and I was waiting 6 hours to get someone so a simple call to the shop to speak to a manager in the morning would be easier

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement

Revolut chat is an idea but last time they told me they were busy and I was waiting 6 hours to get someone so a simple call to the shop to speak to a manager in the morning would be easier

Well, I was expecting a wait but it was fairly quick in the end, once I ditched Rita and got a live agent. Seems like the best course of action in these cases is to wait, as the petrol station will probably collect the money later. Here's what they said:

In this case, merchant probably will charge by an offline trasaction. The offline transaction is processed very similar to how credit card transactions work. If POS card terminal allows offline transactions, then authorisation can be made without the real time connection to the card issuer. Card terminal is not sending the authorisation request to us, as it happens with standard online transactions. In those cases, we are not able to block the funds as a cover for future transactions.

Nobody mentioned fraud lol
    The payment isn’t coming up cancelled which is something I’ve had in the past and the merchant claims the money at a later date, but in this case it is coming up on the app as declined
    The guards get involved if the money isn’t paid wether it’s a forgetful customer or card rejecting the payment , it’s a regular occurrence with petrol stations and all the guards do is ask you to go back and pay but for some people this can be embarrassing with neighbours

The manager wouldn't have a clue as he needs to call the bank and the guards won't get involved unless its the customer's fault. In this case the POS in the petrol station didn't decline the transaction and the receipt was printed so in this case it's between the issuing, acquiring and payment processing companies. Op has to wait and see and as of now no action is needed from his side unless Revolut gets in touch with him.

The manager wouldn't have a clue as he needs to call the bank and the guards won't get involved unless its the customer's fault. In this case the POS in the petrol station didn't decline the transaction and the receipt was printed so in this case it's between the issuing, acquiring and payment processing companies. Op has to wait and see and as of now no action is needed from his side unless Revolut gets in touch with him.

Yeah they already said that in the thread

Yeah they already said that in the thread
    I am clarifying further on my previous post since you got your facts completely wrong as you assumed that the OP was at fault and the guards will be involved which is completely wrong and thus wasn't the right advice to give in the first place.

I am clarifying further on my previous post since you got your facts completely wrong as you assumed that the OP was at fault and the guards will be involved which is completely wrong and thus wasn't the right advice to give in the first place.

I didn’t assume the op was at fault, it was a precautionary word of advice
    Stop digging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ppn

Anyone know what's the latest with trying to get a standard virtual card with Revolut? Do you just order with the app and have to pay the , is it €6, shipping cost to Ireland?
    Been using the virtual accounts with no issues and can't complain at all. Saved a nice few quid in changing Euro to STG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

ppn wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the latest with trying to get a standard virtual card with Revolut? Do you just order with the app and have to pay the , is it €6, shipping cost to Ireland?
    Been using the virtual accounts with no issues and can't complain at all. Saved a nice few quid in changing Euro to STG.
    If you wait they will eventually offer your a card with free delivery.
    I know someone who recently signed up without knowing about the free card referral. They contacted customer care chancing their arm for a free card but no joy. About 2 week later they got a text/email offering a free card .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

ppn wrote: »

Virtual card costs €6 but no shipping as it's virtual?

You might as well order a physical card though as it'll be available in the app too.

This is only for standard accounts as you can get free virtual cards with premium and metal.
    If you meant physical, then bromley is correct. Just wait and you should be offered one with free shipping. Only on your first physical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

think he meant physical card just top up for 10ner, wait day or a week and you should be offered free physical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Stupid question, but just want to be sure - Sold some US shares and want to avoid being crucified on the FX by the bank, can I use my free Revolut account to transfer to the US account and exchange to Euro through the app and then transfer to my bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

omerin wrote: »
    Stupid question, but just want to be sure - Sold some US shares and want to avoid being crucified on the FX by the bank, can I use my free Revolut account to transfer to the US account and exchange to Euro through the app and then transfer to my bank?

If the US Broker you are using is allowing you to do a withdraw via SWIFT (international Wire) than yes.

If they limit to ACH or domestic wire than no, in that case look a the transferwise borderless account.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

omerin wrote: »

I’ve done so, my shares are on ETrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I validated my id initially via a selfie and my full passport's photo but have received no request for an id update.

Should I expect one?

I can't recall ever receiving any emails since the get go,should I be happy?:D

Or did I unsubscribe from same or need to change my settings.

Heading the US so don't want to have any issues.

seligehgit wrote: »
    I validated my id initially via a selfie and my full passport's photo but have received no request for an id update.

Should I expect one?

You’re grand. It’s only people who used a drivers license to validate initially that need to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

jakdublin wrote: »
    You’re grand. It’s only people who used a drivers license to validate initially that need to do it again.

Unfortunately, not the case. I used my full passport as validation when I first got a Revolut card and had to re-validate (with the same passport) a few weeks ago. A couple of others on this thread have also experienced the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

seligehgit wrote: »

Should I expect one?

Ye should be okay. Brexit is on hold for at least 6 months so the status quo is as it was. More of a chance of NY beating Mayo as Revolut going pear shape whilst you're over there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Fann Linn wrote:
    Ye should be okay. Brexit is on hold for at least 6 months so the status quo is as it was. More of a chance of NY beating Mayo as Revolut going pear shape whilst you're over there!!

In that case I'm taking my money out!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Fann Linn wrote:

In that case I'm taking my money out!

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, not the case. I used my full passport as validation when I first got a Revolut card and had to re-validate (with the same passport) a few weeks ago. A couple of others on this thread have also experienced the same.

Really? That's weird. Thought it was because of the driving license. Any idea why you guys had to re-validate?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Really? That's weird. Thought it was because of the driving license. Any idea why you guys had to re-validate?

No idea. I was going to ask why via the app, but reckoned it was easier and quicker just to comply. Even after validating and being accepted for a second time, I kept getting reminders and warnings by email. Just caught in a loop, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭Jeff2

N26 don't take license as I'd.

I tried with Revolut and they don't seem to take it.

Full passport not the card but please say they except the cheaper one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

most likely could been issue with image not being clear enough, thou they seem to had a lot of issues at the time, and unclear how validation was done, as hesitated to do mine but did it at the end in case of brexit, and got validated within 30 seconds :confused:
    thou got a promt later to validate again but disappeared once clicked on it, and never showed up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Has anyone been getting dog slow top up times on Revolut lately? Topping up with my PTSB debit card and it has taken 10-30 mins for my top ups to go through. Has stung me a couple of times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Is there anyway of avoiding the fees for the card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Soulsun wrote: »
    Is there anyway of avoiding the fees for the card

What fees?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement