Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Just wondering how much everyone has done in Irish so far?
    My teacher was out a lot recently and now he's taking some time off. There's a sub in and she's not great, feel like we're going a bit slow.

We have 2 of the poems done, 3 of the prós done, 5 sraith pictiúr done, some vocabulary, some listening and one or two comprehensions.

Why we have to learn 20 sraith pictiúr when only one of them will come up is just beyond me... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

12 straith pictiur, two aistes, four poems and four pros. We've done listening as well and also general oral work. Other classes are going slower than us though.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

4 Shraith Pictiuri
    2 Poems
    1 Prose
    No aistes
    No comprehensions
    No listening
    No oral work

:pac:

Guess I won't be using Irish for points so

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Feel like we could have way more done, done 2 poems, 2 pros, 2 straiths and an aiste. Done a tad of oral work too. Doesn't help we missed a whole month of irish though... First teacher was out sick for two weeks, no sub or work given to us, got a new teacher then after midterm. Missed another two weeks with her as she had to go for a family emergency. Once again, no sub or work. It's beyond a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EireLemon

How's everyone getting on with LC English. I'm really struggling. I got a C in the Junior Cert and I got 52% in my Christmas exams. I just can't seem to get enough out of my essays. I get like 20/40 for most even though I feel I did well. Does anyone do grinds anywhere for English? And do you find them really helpful. I do grinds for maths but I don't think English would be as easy to explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

EireLemon wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on with LC English. I'm really struggling. I got a C in the Junior Cert and I got 52% in my Christmas exams. I just can't seem to get enough out of my essays. I get like 20/40 for most even though I feel I did well. Does anyone do grinds anywhere for English? And do you find them really helpful. I do grinds for maths but I don't think English would be as easy to explain.
    I am struggling a good bit, I got 72% in my Christmas exam but tbh the exam was pretty easy and it was stuff we knew was definitely coming up. With essays I struggle (same with history) just remember to use structure, make sure there's a good flow and that each paragraph basically leads into one another. Try not to use typical words such as "relatable" as my teacher says this is a word that examiners hate! We do an essay once a week which is pretty helpful, so maybe write out an essay and get your English teacher to correct it? It's a good way to improve!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Higher level Irish is the biggest pain the backside. Ive always struggled and I only got 46% at Christmas but I need high points so gotta stay in it :(
    We've done 3 stories
    1 poem
    A lot of oral
    4 sraiths
    A bit of listening!
    20 sraiths are a joke

Had to take the whole week off due to bronchitis. God knows the amount of stuff I missed.

Just the thought of playing catch-up for the next week or two :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

If anyone would like to speculate their points at this stage, I made a points calculator for the new system if anyone would like to try it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.adamherrmann.leavingcertpointscalculator&hl=en

I'd really like to know what ye think. (I'm probably a bit early!)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Hows everyone finding physics its killling me ?! My safety net will hopefully be modern and nucleur physics as my teacher says theyre basically OL chemistry, easy enough im hoping someone can tell me??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

If anyone would like to speculate their points at this stage, I made a points calculator for the new system if anyone would like to try it out: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ie.adamherrmann.leavingcertpointscalculator&hl=en

I'd really like to know what ye think. (I'm probably a bit early!)

Well done! Are you a fifth year? If so,fair play to you for taking out the time to do this!! There's also a studyclix one for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭thisisadamh

meganob wrote: »
    Well done! Are you a fifth year? If so,fair play to you for taking out the time to do this!! There's also a studyclix one for 2017

Cheers!

I'm not in 5th year but my sister is which is why I made it. I did my LC back in 2012. Seems like only yesterday though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aibreann_

How's everyone getting on? Hard to believe it's February already, 5th years flown so far.

Conaaaa wrote: »
    Hows everyone finding physics its killling me ?! My safety net will hopefully be modern and nucleur physics as my teacher says theyre basically OL chemistry, easy enough im hoping someone can tell me??

As far as I know that only makes up at most a question or two in the exam. Not much of a safety net.

aibreann_ wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on? Hard to believe it's February already, 5th years flown so far.

Pretty much off for 2 weeks now. A week of work experience and then a week off. Back for 3 weeks, and then off for 2 weeks for Easter holidays.

Come back then to what, like 7 or 8 weeks and then it'll be summer again.

That reminds me I have to find a summer job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

I haven't really been studying this term but will be making a plan in the coming mid term and will hopefully get going in the new term.

Has anyone been doing consistent study everyday?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aibreann_

It's mad summer will be here before we know it, thank god :) I've been studying pretty much everyday but I find it so hard to keep the motivation up and to find a balance of study school hw and hobbies. I need to get a summer job too lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

I simply cannot do it even though I do study in school for 2 hours until 6 every day.

How much study should a 5 th year be doing????

I haven't really been studying this term but will be making a plan in the coming mid term and will hopefully get going in the new term.

I've done 1 hour when I can on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Other than that I've just tried to do my homework to a high standard. I honestly think that by doing this you're already ahead of about 50% of students in the country who just do the bare, bare minimum required.

Anybody I saw go hell for leather at study in fifth year had burnt out by Christmas of leaving cert. I'm going to save the insanity for next year. :pac:

How's English going for everyone? Our teacher has been out a lot and so we've only done 2 poets and about half of Hamlet. I feel that we should be a bit further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

We have done a few comprehensions , Hamlet and 2 poets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

How's English going for everyone? Our teacher has been out a lot and so we've only done 2 poets and about half of Hamlet. I feel that we should be a bit further along.

We've finished Hamlet, everything to do with Bishop, and have done two essays so far.

I think we are starting something on the comparative after mid term

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sackninja

We have done all of hamlet, 3 poets, a short story, some comprehension questions (The ones about writing styles) and we've started to do The Great Gatsby for the comparative. We're going pretty fast it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭meganob

How's everyone's midterm going? Or not going? ~~

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

meganob wrote:
    How's everyone's midterm going? Or not going? ~~

I have now given up telling myself that I am going to do alot of study. Have a heap of projects to do and tried to make sure I would not forget anything, surprise surprise I forgot my all important folder. Dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

Since september we've only done 12 of the 41 chapters of Biology.. Is this poor compared to ye're schools?? How many have ye done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

leimmxvii wrote: »
    Since september we've only done 12 of the 41 chapters of Biology.. Is this poor compared to ye're schools?? How many have ye done?

We're on our 12th chapter. Our teacher says frequently we won't finish the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Manufan123

We have completed 18 but i dont fell thoroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 frans123

we've done 18 on the 19th but dont have the best teacher

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Is anyone else thinking of applying to universities abroad? I'm looking at the US but can't decide where I want to go and even if I actually want to go. I'll need to start deciding soon though as applications take a while and you need to start them straight away at the start of sixth year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

We've finished fifteen chapters of biology. That's what the other classes in the school have done too.
    Bored_lad wrote: »
    Is anyone else thinking of applying to universities abroad? I'm looking at the US but can't decide where I want to go and even if I actually want to go. I'll need to start deciding soon though as applications take a while and you need to start them straight away at the start of sixth year.

Thinking of applying to Scotland, were having a UCAS talk in school next week. I'm thinking of doing veterinary so it's more of a backup if I don't get UCD. I'd prefer to stay in a Ireland though

Advertisement