Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

This was on rte tonight, on some rural is struggling program. Yet another reminder of the mad limits in Ireland. 60 km/h on the n11 and yet this on tiny road in mayo.

5tgsIx.jpg

What did you get it for in the end ?

I hear they have very good suspension since it's not the traditional type.

I think the super-duper suspension is only on really high end versions of it and not the joe soap versions? I think theres a spec level called 'Exclusiv' and it has the hydro-pneumatic suspension? But I could be wrong.

I would actually love to know for sure, to be honest. Anyone know?

It is smooth on the road, but I'm not sure.. I'd be kinda hoping it has got it, just so i can say i have it, but kinda hoping it doesn't don't have it, so I can avoid the expense of when something goes wrong with it and it needs repairing. :P

I bought the car for 8,500. I wanted it, going in, for 8,200 (10% off the asking) and wasn't prepared to go any higher than that, but when I seen the list of issues that Atlas gave me, and then Coby agreed to fix everything on the spot, I felt a price tag of 8,500 was fair, all things considered.

(For some reason my Euro symbol button won't work!?)

Stheno wrote: »
    Yer man is talking bollox by the way, you can nct a car at any time since the rules changed a few months ago.

He was saying (maybe he was confused, or maybe just fobbing me off?) that it has to be within 3 months of it being due? Said he can't do it til September.

This is what comes into my head everytime I see the Mayo reg plate.. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za4BKMMdrXA

He was saying (maybe he was confused, or maybe just fobbing me off?) that it has to be within 3 months of it being due? Said he can't do it til September.

Do it now get 12 months from day it's done. Wait till 3 months before due then that's when nct will be valid until.

• Advertisement

AhHaor wrote: »
    Do it now get 12 months from day it's done. Wait till 3 months before due then that's when nct will be valid until.

Apologies if im reading that wrong.

Are you saying if I do it now, I get 12 months, but if i do it within 3 months of it being due, i get the 24 months from the due date?

So are you of the opinion that he's being genuine, or that he's messing me about? :confused:

EDIT: Sorry, it's less than 10 years old, so i get 24 months either way, but if i do it now I don't qualify for early testing and the date done is the date it's valid until, whereas is i do it in september its valid for 27 months, effectively?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I think the super-duper suspension is only on really high end versions of it and not the joe soap versions? I think theres a spec level called 'Exclusiv' and it has the hydro-pneumatic suspension? But I could be wrong.

It is smooth on the road, but I'm not sure.. I'd be kinda hoping it has got it, just so i can say i have it, but kinda hoping it doesn't don't have it, so I can avoid the expense of when something goes wrong with it and it needs repairing. :P

Mine and the ohs (both 2003) had the hydro suspension which you could adjust, it failed on my car, and was a right fooker to drive. It was a pleasure when it worked though

Nope complete bollox, go onto the nct site, put in your reg, and you can book an nct right now.

I did it for the OHs merc which is due an nct in Jan last week.

They changed the rules about six months ago, but my mechanic didn't know last week, so maybe it's ignorance on your sales guys part

Might be an idea to book it in and see how it gets on, before you get your mechanic to look at it, in case there are any issues.

You'd have a cert for two years then.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Dunno what the jazz is with insurance now though. And we have to go car shopping. She said she wants something nice. I perked up a bit, and she says Nissan Figaro. Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Hope the oh is ok Beertons...scary thing to happen.

Today I valued my GoodYears on both cars oh so much. Honestly in the rain today in Dublin it was super reassuring to drive with new/good rubber all round.

Are you saying if I do it now, I get 12 months, but if i do it within 3 months of it being due, i get the 24 months from the due date?

So are you of the opinion that he's being genuine, or that he's messing me about? :confused:

EDIT: Sorry, it's less than 10 years old, so i get 24 months either way, but if i do it now I don't qualify for early testing and the date done is the date it's valid until, whereas is i do it in september its valid for 27 months, effectively?

Your edit is correct. That's the deal. Gets confusing for 9/10 year old cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes, exactly, did you get any warranty from Coby?

But iirc it's due on Nov. 8th. which is less than three months from now.

It's Aug 8th to Sept 8th is one month, Sept 8th to Oct 8th is two months, Oct 8th to Nov. 8th is three months, so you are currently within the three month window to get a 27 month cert, so why is he not doing it?

You'd have a cert for two years then.

I should have a 2 year cert either way, should I not?

AhHaor wrote: »
    Your edit is correct. That's the deal. Gets confusing for 9/10 year old cars.

Yeah, so I'm better off waiting the extra couple of weeks, so? I think yer man in Coby has the right idea here?

Yes, exactly, did you get any warranty from Coby?

3 month engine and gearbox. He said they can't sell a car without such a warranty once they're a registered dealer.

I doubt I'll have much hassle with either, but I do feel confident they're not a trickster group (although any warranty issues will quickly tell, as will my mechanic, tomorrow).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I should have a 2 year cert either way, should I not?

You will but if you do it 3 months early I.E September, you'll get a 27 month NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I tried to book my nct about 2 months back(its due in October) and the website said i cant until 3 months before the date.

You will but if you do it 3 months early I.E September, you'll get a 27 month NCT.
    See my post above, it's due 8th Nov iirc, so currently within the three month window, no need to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

See my post above, it's due 8th Nov iirc, so currently within the three month window, no need to wait.

Missed that! He really should just do it as dealers can get next day NCT's AFAIK.

I'll give him a ring tomorrow and see what happens. In a perfect world I would like it done sooner rather than later, as I want to tint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

166man wrote: »
    Hope the oh is ok Beertons...scary thing to happen.

Today I valued my GoodYears on both cars oh so much. Honestly in the rain today in Dublin it was super reassuring to drive with new/good rubber all round.

I miss having good tyres on the car, the new car came with sunny tyres there horrendous barely moving on a roundabout this evening on the way to work could feel the back arse of it kicking out, give it so power even in a straight line she wiggles around like mad.

Them tyres will be getting changed when I decide what to do about alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Ah ya, but Mayo reg's are the best! 

You'll be mistaken for a culchie when your in da citii bruv.

• Advertisement

Arrived at home at 11:30 last night from work. I'm 99% sure that the big field next to tesco here had no circus in it. Going to work today just after lunch time and Duffy's were there fully set up.

On the way home again tonight and their convoy passed me on the road. At least 50 or 60 trucks, vans and mobile homes/gigantic campers. How these lads do it is beyond me. God help anyone driving in the Limerick road from the Newcastle west direction tonight. They circus lads aren't exactly aitin road, the weather is crap and the convoy is huge!

You can say what you want about a litre of petrol/diesel, or which tyres are the best value for money, but when in gods name did a Twirl go up to 1.24 :eek:

Looks like we'll have to break our love affair :(

You can say what you want about a litre of petrol/diesel, or which tyres are the best value for money, but when in gods name did a Twirl go up to 1.24 :eek:

3 for 2 euro in my local, and I'm in Dublin!

Stheno wrote:

In a multipack is it? Ya we have those too, it's the loose ones at the counter that are a robber!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Plenty of stuff is cheaper in Dublin. More competition I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Arrived at home at 11:30 last night from work. I'm 99% sure that the big field next to tesco here had no circus in it. Going to work today just after lunch time and Duffy's were there fully set up.

On the way home again tonight and their convoy passed me on the road. At least 50 or 60 trucks, vans and mobile homes/gigantic campers. How these lads do it is beyond me. God help anyone driving in the Limerick road from the Newcastle west direction tonight. They circus lads aren't exactly aitin road, the weather is crap and the convoy is huge!

Never a shortage of clowns on that road da dum tish.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, topaz near me had a special offer - 2 for €2.20

They were charging 1.43 for a cadburys bar. Not even the big ones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Yeah, topaz near me had a special offer - 2 for €2.20

They were charging 1.43 for a cadburys bar. Not even the big ones

That's a lot of money for something that can't legally be sold as chocolate in Switzerland.
    Lidl has good stuff. I'd even go do far as to say its better than most of the brown crap sold as chocolate here. Except Lind of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Stheno, those Vredesteins are fairly cheap on Oponeo.ie. I was looking at them for my next car and they were only €148 not including shipping for the rears :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

That's a lot of money for something that can't legally be sold as chocolate in Switzerland.
    Lidl has good stuff. I'd even go do far as to say its better than most of the brown crap sold as chocolate here. Except Lind of course.
    Do they have a special shelf for "soya, hydrogenated veg oil, modified corn starch and brown colouring" bars or is it just banned? One bar of quality chocolate is worth forgoing many bars of expensive-for-what-it-is muck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement