Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Got my renewal for the 525 today, €1256 for fully comp with Aviva, down from around €1400, delighted :D

Take that rising insurance premiums! :pac:

You've reminded me that mine is due soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Got my renewal for the 525 today, €1256 for fully comp with Aviva, down from around €1400, delighted :D

I'm delighted to hear it! Maybe sanity hasn't completely gone out of fashion after all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Stheno wrote: »
    Was driving in Dublin city centre earlier when a cyclist came barrelling towards me going the wrong way up the street
    Nearly had a heart attack

Cyclists I'm Dublin City centre all have a death wish that or there all convinced them poxy rental bikes make them invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

jimgoose wrote: »
    I'm delighted to hear it! Maybe sanity hasn't completely gone out of fashion after all. :D

Yeah happy out, especially as a 21 year old in a 2.5 "Sport" BMW with a crash in 2011 :pac:

For comparison, Liberty wanted €2666 :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cyclists I'm Dublin City centre all have a death wish that or there all convinced them poxy rental bikes make them invincible.

Yeah agreed I don't mind the lycra brigade so much as those Dublin bikes users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Stheno wrote: »
    Was driving in Dublin city centre earlier when a cyclist came barrelling towards me going the wrong way up the street
    Nearly had a heart attack

I like to put this on the CD player, put on a Sean Connery accent and do, à la Marko Ramius in The Hunt For Red October: "Onshe more, we play our dangeroush game, a game of chesh againsht our old advershary - The Sweating, Lycra-Clad Nut-Job. For forty yearsh, your fathersh before you and your older brothersh played thish game and played it well. But today the game ish different. We have the advantage!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

If I ever get a red skoda I'm gonna throw this on and offer them water bottles and gibber on in bastardised French/Italian. Just for the confused looks. Then zoom off to the next rider.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was over with a friend looking at a 2002 1.2 (3 cylinder, new shape) that he was looking to buy. Absolute bog spec, and it had been sitting for a while. He started the engine and it sounds louder than a diesel, rattly, maybe coming from the timing chain. It was firing all cylinders (yay!), but my god it sounded rough. Having the guy selling it saying "sure that's normal, it's a perfect car..." and me just looking at him :rolleyes:.

I'd say it's ready to explode.

PS: Had told my friend to completely avoid 1.2 Polos of that era...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Interesting sponsored forum up top...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Yeah happy out, especially as a 21 year old in a 2.5 "Sport" BMW with a crash in 2011 :pac:

For comparison, Liberty wanted €2666 :eek:

It's mad as you would think one company would be generally consistently cheaper but it's so random. I mean I turned 21 a few weeks ago and liberty were the cheapest by a long way for me and I rang so many companies yet they were high for you. I suppose the cars are very different but still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

OSI wrote: »
    Between interviewing for a job I'm starting soon, and interviewing people to replace me in my current one, I can safely say you'll be doing better than 99% of people by just reading the bloody job description and spending 20 minutes googling the buzz words in it.

"When you read the job spec, what parts of it in particular stood out to you?"

"Errr... All of it." :mad:

The job spec is a load of baloney anyway! Employers expect the perfect candidate and there is no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Anyone know in relation to speed vans. If a road has a temp. sign up with a speed limit of say 25 kph in an area that is normally 80, is the 25 the legal limit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jimgoose wrote: »
    I like to put this on the CD player, put on a Sean Connery accent and do, à la Marko Ramius in The Hunt For Red October: "Onshe more, we play our dangeroush game, a game of chesh againsht our old advershary - The Sweating, Lycra-Clad Nut-Job. For forty yearsh, your fathersh before you and your older brothersh played thish game and played it well. But today the game ish different. We have the advantage!"

Jusht one ping!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's a great price all considered!

That's a great price all considered!

Yeah it really is, nowhere else is coming close, everyone's hovering around the 2k plus mark!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

nd wrote: »
    Anyone know in relation to speed vans. If a road has a temp. sign up with a speed limit of say 25 kph in an area that is normally 80, is the 25 the legal limit?

It will depend on whether the authority governing the road, most likely to do council has passed the relevant bye law. There have been a number of speeding cases thrown out on this ground over the years. Temporary speed limits need to be approved to be legal. That being said, sounds like it's roadworks in which case, slow the fúck down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I was over with a friend looking at a 2002 1.2 (3 cylinder, new shape) that he was looking to buy. Absolute bog spec, and it had been sitting for a while. He started the engine and it sounds louder than a diesel, rattly, maybe coming from the timing chain. It was firing all cylinders (yay!), but my god it sounded rough. Having the guy selling it saying "sure that's normal, it's a perfect car..." and me just looking at him :rolleyes:.

I'd say it's ready to explode.

PS: Had told my friend to completely avoid 1.2 Polos of that era...

My mate had a fabia version into work a while ago running like a bag of sh;te. No compression so head off. It had melted and cracked all the valves so they were replaced. Loads of little cracks like this one.
    OW0fPLWl.jpg
    Started up and loads of oily smoke. Turned out it was also burning oil to beat the band through the piston rings so they had to be done too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Marcusm wrote: »
    It will depend on whether the authority governing the road, most likely to do council has passed the relevant bye law. There have been a number of speeding cases thrown out on this ground over the years. Temporary speed limits need to be approved to be legal. That being said, sounds like it's roadworks in which case, slow the fúck down!

Thanks. It was a resurfaced road. No workmen or equipment there and I was probably doing 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Ever pay for something through adverts and have the seller refuse to post the item you paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

GvidoR wrote: »
    Ever pay for something through adverts and have the seller refuse to post the item you paid for?

Only with boards, paid for two stickers and never heard a thing :(

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    Only with boards, paid for two stickers and never heard a thing :(

Should've asked me! I have one spare in the arm rest :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Should've asked me! I have one spare in the arm rest :P

Speaking of armrest I've been struggling to close mine the last few days so said I'd do a clear out there was a few things down there; 2 torches, iPod classic, iPod nano, fm tuner (don't even need that I have Bluetooth radio), sun glasses, iPod charger, Iphone charger, rca to aux in cable, after shave (never opened),2 rolls insulation tape, fluke pen tester. So some of that is probably the issue wish the mk3 Megane had the drawers under the seats like mk2 they were handy.

On a completely unrelated note. Did you see there is a ford garage selling 131 ford ka's for 5,995 euro alloys fogs MP3 aircon. Would be of zero interest to anyone on here most likely but is that not very cheap hire cars no doubt but still.

The only things you'd find in my arm rest is a Boards sticker and masses of fuel receipts!

Packet of spearmint polo's and the opener for the gate!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

The clip broke in my arm rest, the bit that locks it. Raging. What would that part be called? If I want to try order it online?

beertons wrote: »
    The clip broke in my arm rest, the bit that locks it. Raging. What would that part be called? If I want to try order it online?

Armrest yokey ma bobby, Google should have some hits for that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Im so childish.

My phone did an automatic update recently and i can now use my phone as a tv remote on nearly every tv.

So every where i go im turning tvs on and off and mute etc.

The fun is unreal :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Armrest yokey ma bobby, Google should have some hits for that :pac:

Ah come on man, I'd get that answer in Halfords!

Im so childish.

My phone did an automatic update recently and i can now use my phone as a tv remote on nearly every tv.

So every where i go im turning tvs on and off and mute etc.

The fun is unreal :D

You have not seen fun until you do it in a hotel bar etc!
    That is so funny watching the utter confusion on everyone's faces!

• Advertisement

YbFocus wrote: »
    You have not seen fun until you do it in a hotel bar etc!
    That is so funny watching the utter confusion on everyone's faces!

Or a bookies during the grand national

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement