Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm glad they reduce engine hesitation, it really needs a good aul confidence boost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

So no one else would be even slight concerned about remapping an engine which is very prone to turbo failure due to very narrow oil feed lines causing not enough oil and oil starvation to occur if they block.

I mean someone correct me if I'm wrong because I know nothing about remaps but I thought the backbone of a remap was effectively upping the turbo pressure for example from 1 bar to 1.3 bar etc. I personally wouldn't go near a car like that with a remap well certainly not one you can get for 250 euro of some lad that knows the bare minimum at best. I mean I'm sure they can work well when done with rolling roads and the proper kits but you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

CIP4 wrote: »
    So no one else would be even slight concerned about remapping an engine which is very prone to turbo failure due to very narrow oil feed lines causing not enough oil and oil starvation to occur if they block.

Well it will have no effect on the oil feed lines, that's pain servicing so if the turbo was going it was going.

I do agree with your rolling roads though. Only way to do it.

YbFocus wrote: »
    Well it will have no effect on the oil feed lines, that's pain servicing so if the turbo was going it was going.

I do agree with your rolling roads though. Only way to do it.

I know that but I mean if it's running harder all the time it surly won't last as long unless it's getting a perfect supply of oil which by there nature the oil supply is hit and miss. Obviously if it blocks the turbo is fcuked regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

Anyone tax the car lately? I taxed it Thursday I think online it arrived today and as of yet nothing has come out of my account! Usually it's taken the next day. Free tax be nice but I think not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Motortax.ie got jokes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Gavman84 wrote: »
    Anyone tax the car lately? I taxed it Thursday I think online it arrived today and as of yet nothing has come out of my account! Usually it's taken the next day. Free tax be nice but I think not!

Hope you bought 12 months!

This post might encourage me to tax my car!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Empty your account quick ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Anyone tax the car lately?

Ah crap that time again :-(

CIP4 wrote: »
    I know that but I mean if it's running harder all the time it surly won't last as long unless it's getting a perfect supply of oil which by there nature the oil supply is hit and miss. Obviously if it blocked the turbo is flukes regardless.

It won't be running harder though for much of the time, most of the gain could be previously gated etc.

Clutches and flywheels are usually the weak point that I'd be worried about, even at that if you weren't launching it hard it'd be fine normally.

• Advertisement

Put the money from the current into the savings account quick :)

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Hope you bought 12 months!

This post might encourage me to tax my car!
    If I'd only known they had a special offer on I might have!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

If I'd only known they had a special offer on I might have!:pac:

Do transfer all your money into a different account if you can. Do everything you can to get away with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Wait, is this offer still on? :pac:

Punto tax ends at the end of the month.

Ah I used my credit card so I can't just move money out!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    *insert car name here*

Ah it's obviously a copy paste job, but to be fair, would you be bothered? I'd guess by the name Oli he's not exactly a native of the english lingo and therefore this would be the easiest way for him to do his bitta spiel?

Wouldn't put me off, personally (the email did also start with "Hi Shane" :D ).

Picked up my 18 inchers this evening. Was glad to get them. One has its fair share of scuffs, the other three are practically unmarked from what i could see. The badly scuffed one is the one you can see most of in the pic.

F3AC4A0E825F43A99AFD5D1227EA8D6B-0000333410-0003791864-01024L-74E42970A02C42548C346A3745DFE295.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

For Mr Mondy, ba and the other educators that hang around here :pac:

359515.jpg

I feel like that any Monday that I've to deliver a training course. Weirdly once I get into it I enjoy it.

Them teachers have it easy, bloody adults argue and answer back :eek:
    As usual, robbed from YLYL.
    I've two to do tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

On my 335i I had JB4 which gave me the choice of 7 different maps available on-the-fly through the steering wheel controls aswell as a lot of other stuff right in front of me.

The 335i gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

The 335i gone?

Yup, gone a few weeks now. F30 330d on the way soon :)

Boom and it's in the open!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Picked up my 18 inchers this evening. Was glad to get them. One has its fair share of scuffs, the other three are practically unmarked from what i could see. The badly scuffed one is the one you can see most of in the pic.

Wait, did you buy the wheels before you bought the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Ah it's obviously a copy paste job, but to be fair, would you be bothered? I'd guess by the name Oli he's not exactly a native of the english lingo and therefore this would be the easiest way for him to do his bitta spiel?

Wouldn't put me off, personally (the email did also start with "Hi Shane" :D ).

Fair play on getting the wheels. I think they will look well, just change the centre caps for Citroen ones! Mind me asking how much you paid for em?

Tyres look somewhat decent on them also? I'd say you might get a few bob for the wheels currently on it too.

Nice :) what made you change to a diesel? Thought you were holding onto the 335i for a lpng time. Think I'll always miss my petrol.

F30 330d still be a pretty rare sight in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

New job, better pay, wanted a newer car with power and kinda stuck in BMW Fanboilife now hah :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yeah is getting the car tomorrow!

On an entirely different note, for any of you out in the wesht, would you read this story? It's about an unfortunate man who was found dead last September in Galway and still hasn't been identified :(
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/can-you-identify-this-man-found-dead-in-galway-31473881.html

After that new mission impossible I really like the f10 and f30 although I always liked my grandmothers e90s and f30. I'm not sure if I'd buy one or not but you never know I think I'll definitely step it up a bit for my next car.

New job, better pay, wanted a newer car with power and kinda stuck in BMW Fanboilife now hah :D

Congrats on the new job and the new car.

Yea never thought I'd say it but think I've become a BMW fanboy myself there was a time I hated them.

Stheno wrote: »
    Yeah is getting the car tomorrow!

As Stheno said, plan is to get the car tomorrow, but, as was pointed out earlier in the thread (also by Stheno, incidentally), the car has yet to be NCT'ed for me.

Yer man reckons he can get through the NCT a bit quicker than I'd be able to, so said that I can leave it with him or I can take the car and pop back up to him for the NCT, or do it myself, or we'll work something out, but it wasn't make or break.

He was doing a few bits on the car today and told me that, unfortunately, the car isn't actually equipped with rear sensors. The ones on it are just fill in plastic for where the sensors would go. Kinda seen that happening, but I'm not fussed either way, so we agreed he'd replace the (brake) discs on the car as needed and we'd call it a happy medium.

I can get aftermarket sensors shall I decide I need them, but I'm fairly nonplussed about them in general. survived this long. That said, as far as I know they're relatively cheap and cheerful so if I change my mind it won't kill me.

166man wrote: »
    Fair play on getting the wheels. I think they will look well, just change the centre caps for Citroen ones! Mind me asking how much you paid for em?

Tyres look somewhat decent on them also? I'd say you might get a few bob for the wheels currently on it too.

Tyres on them are better than most part worns coming outta the shop that I see. Great nick. As I say, one alloy is scuffed a fair bit, one of them has a fairly small scuff at the edge and the other 2 seemed fine. If it starts to bother me, I'll get them fixed up but I think I'd only end up scuffing them myself soon enough so I can live.

What does it cost to repair alloys anyway? I'm guessing around €250-300 or so for 4 wheels? (complete guesswork, though, could be way off).

I didn't want to get into a back and forth bartering and haggling session with him, so I made an offer that I thought was fair for us both (considering he has a set of 17s there that he can throw onto the car he's selling, so hes not really being left wheel-less or anything). Offered and paid €500 for the 4 wheels/tyres. Not sure if i was conned, or if he was, but it seemed like a fairly genuine offer in my head where we could both feel like we got something out of it and no one felt cheated (maybe Im wrong).

Stheno wrote: »
    On an entirely different note, for any of you out in the wesht, would you read this story? It's about an unfortunate man who was found dead last September in Galway and still hasn't been identified :(
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/can-you-identify-this-man-found-dead-in-galway-31473881.html

Seen that on AH alright. Pretty sad story. :(

• Advertisement

1. Yer man reckons he can get through the NCT a bit quicker than I'd be able to, so said that I can leave it with him or I can take the car and pop back up to him for the NCT, or do it myself, or we'll work something out, but it wasn't make or break.

2. What does it cost to repair alloys anyway? I'm guessing around €250-300 or so for 4 wheels? (complete guesswork, though, could be way off).

on 1. I'd wait for it to get through the NCT, I'd not give him a penny more until it's done tbh.

On 2. we are pricing that at the moment, it's about the 300 mark to refurb four alloys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement