Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Options

Comments

166man wrote: »
    I'd say you might get a few bob for the wheels currently on it too.

Sorry, never replied to that. Yeah, I'll hopefully flog the C5 ones for 250-300 or so. I'll advertise them as 300 and see what happens.

Brothers wife bought a Peugeot there a couple of weeks back with steelies/hubcaps and as far as I know she's been looking for alloys, so could be a handy one.

I've got the Peugeot centre caps on those 18s, too, and I can take the Citroen caps off the C5 wheels, so everyone gets what they want and it all looks genuine and authentic.

Stheno wrote: »
    on 1. I'd wait for it to get through the NCT, I'd not give him a penny more until it's done tbh.

On 2. we are pricing that at the moment, it's about the 300 mark to refurb four alloys.

Well, for all the negativity i've read about 'that part' of dublin, the chap i've been dealing with seems fairly sound. He hasn't slipped the mask of a genuine chap yet, so I actually feel quite confident dealing with him. Although obviously if he's taking me for a ride I won't know about it until I'm €8k lighter.

If it's €300 for 4, does that mean it's €150 for 2? Or are you finding that places are strategically pricing to push you into doing 4 at a time (ie; €100 per wheel, or €300 for 4 wheels).

If I could get two done for €150 I'd probably send the two scuffed ones in to be done with someone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well, for all the negativity i've read about 'that part' of dublin, the chap i've been dealing with seems fairly sound. He hasn't slipped the mask of a genuine chap yet, so I actually feel quite confident dealing with him. Although obviously if he's taking me for a ride I won't know about it until I'm €8k lighter.

If it's €300 for 4, does that mean it's €150 for 2? Or are you finding that places are strategically pricing to push you into doing 4 at a time (ie; €100 per wheel, or €300 for 4 wheels).

If I could get two done for €150 I'd probably send the two scuffed ones in to be done with someone.

No idea on the price of two tbh, we are pricing for four.
    Sorry

No idea on the price of two tbh, we are pricing for four.
    Sorry

Ah, no, just thought I'd ask in the off chance that you had come across such pricing.

Can I ask where you're looking at (in terms of getting it done). Has there been anyone in particular recommended above others? Wouldn't mind spending a few minutes on the phone in the morning asking a few questions, but knowing my luck I'd bring it to the least experienced people in the country and end up with my wheels ruined. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah, no, just thought I'd ask in the off chance that you had come across such pricing.

Can I ask where you're looking at (in terms of getting it done). Has there been anyone in particular recommended above others? Wouldn't mind spending a few minutes on the phone in the morning asking a few questions, but knowing my luck I'd bring it to the least experienced people in the country and end up with my wheels ruined. :pac:

I asked a while back on here, and MM and a few others had gone to wheel wizards in Finglas and recommended them, so those are the main ones I've contacted.

Oh has also gotten a few recommendations from his friends, but I don't know them offhand.

• Advertisement

I asked a while back on here, and MM and a few others had gone to wheel wizards in Finglas and recommended them, so those are the main ones I've contacted.

Oh has also gotten a few recommendations from his friends, but I don't know them offhand.

€360 for 4 18" wheels.. Ouch. A tad higher than I'd anticipated.

Their work does look good though, I'll give them that!

Pretty standard pricing to be honest.

If you are replacing the wheels why are you refurbing them? Or is is the ones you've just bought you want to refurb?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ouch me hole, do you know that that's the price of 1 brand new alloy from a dealership? They come out looking like they're just off the production line once Wheel Wizards work their wizardry on them :D

Pretty standard pricing to be honest.

If you are replacing the wheels why are you refurbing them? Or is is the ones you've just bought you want to refurb?

Of the ones I just bought, one has a fair few battle scars. I'm not mad about fixing it up to be honest, but I was just curious on the pricing if I did indeed opt to go down that route.

But i've always been lead to believe you need to do 2 at a time (same side of car) as they won't always look the same.

Ah who knows, though. When I actually have the car with the wheels on it, it might bug me enough to get them all done, or I might just not bother at all when I see it all done. Time will tell, but just wanted to get a rough idea with regards to where I stood with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yup, gone a few weeks now. F30 330d on the way soon :)

Sorry, but after all the slagging over the years all I can say is:

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA
    HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH
    HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH
    AAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I knew that was coming :D

At least it's a 6 cylinder!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Doesn't count for **** :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Lol...the justifications come.

Sure he's doing the mileage:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

This is a real 6 cylinder diesel :D:D:D

Next thing is we see you on a set of JOMS, a popcorn limiter and upswept letter tips/porsche tips :D

It's inevitable, soon this will be you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got some stickers :P

20244345504_aceedcf3a5_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

lads are any of you from Cork? how are you surviving down there?

finished my time in Waterford, have the opportunity to head on to Cork for a year and we've been looking at accommodation for weeks. ****ing nightmare, people are renting houses sight unseen. every appointment we make with an EA, when we turn up to the house, they are group viewings with 10-15 people at them, very intimidating and makes it virtually impossible to rent as it's a bit like the lovechild between an auction and a lottery as the first person out of the group brave enough to commit to the place having seen as little as possible gets it. we have good references and wouldn't be using RAS etc. looks like demand is well outstripping supply.

it's literally looking like living in a hotel for a few weeks is the only viable option.

/rant

is it also true about the traffic problem? would be working on the Tramore road and most estate agents are saying if we lived in places like Douglas, Blackrock, Ballincollig, Glanmire, Cobh etc that we would be facing an hour and a half to two hour commute at peak times? this seems crazy when these places are like 10km away.

is there anywhere that you could live that would be a reasonable commuting distance to the Tramore road, like under an hour? i know maybe our budget is holding us back, but looking at places under €1k per month.

i know this isn't the accommodation forum but it's kinda motors related!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Anyone own or have experience of VW [Passat] CCs? Thinking of getting a dsg one, look lovely spec. Presume they'd be frugal too!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

finished my time in Waterford, have the opportunity to head on to Cork for a year and we've been looking at accommodation for weeks. ****ing nightmare, people are renting houses sight unseen. every appointment we make with an EA, when we turn up to the house, they are group viewings with 10-15 people at them, very intimidating and makes it virtually impossible to rent as it's a bit like the lovechild between an auction and a lottery as the first person out of the group brave enough to commit to the place having seen as little as possible gets it. we have good references and wouldn't be using RAS etc. looks like demand is well outstripping supply.

it's literally looking like living in a hotel for a few weeks is the only viable option.

/rant

is it also true about the traffic problem? would be working on the Tramore road and most estate agents are saying if we lived in places like Douglas, Blackrock, Ballincollig, Glanmire, Cobh etc that we would be facing an hour and a half to two hour commute at peak times? this seems crazy when these places are like 10km away.

is there anywhere that you could live that would be a reasonable commuting distance to the Tramore road, like under an hour? i know maybe our budget is holding us back, but looking at places under €1k per month.

The accommodation situation is indeed chronic down here - I heard lately there's only 100 houses in the entire city for letting at the moment. I don't know what to do about that.

Douglas is a pain in the hole traffic-wise, but if you lived somewhere like Bishopstown or Glasheen you'd be at the Tramore Road in anything between ten and thirty minutes, depending on the exact time of the morning. Even Ballincollig and Glanmire should be alright with the South Ring road, but the villages themselves probably get quite congested at peak times right enough. Some of us manage to survive quite well down here - we are a peaceful tribe of lilting, opinionated consumers of crúibíns and Baymish, biy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

/rant

They're talking bollox about the commute times. I'm from Midleton and used to commute to the city centre for college and work for (roughly) 4 years. Midleton to the Tramore road takes 20 mins without traffic, so you're looking at 30-40 mins if traffic is bad. That being said, I'd still try find somewhere to live in the city, for your own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

/rant

If you're commuting to Tramore Road, Douglas or Ballincollig would be your best bet. Houses around Togher/The Lough would already be taken by students. I live 2 minutes from Douglas and even in peak traffic time it usually only takes about 10/15 minutes to get to Tramore Road assuming there isn't any crashes. Blackrock would be a decent call too as it's right next to Mahon/South Link so commute times would be half an hour max I'd say in peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

If all these job announcements come to fruition they'll have to have a tent village out the Lee Fields or convert containers down the port or Ringaskiddy.

If you're commuting to Tramore Road, Douglas or Ballincollig would be your best bet. Houses around Togher/The Lough would already be taken by students. I live 2 minutes from Douglas and even in peak traffic time it usually only takes about 10/15 minutes to get to Tramore Road assuming there isn't any crashes. Blackrock would be a decent call too as it's right next to Mahon/South Link so commute times would be half an hour max I'd say in peak times.

good to get some insider info like that :)

the EA's were literally suggesting that times would be in the hours which i did think was a bit far fetched, but i guess nothing would surprise me either?

would living in Cobh and commuting via the passage west ferry be a fantasy? does that run all year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

good to get some insider info like that :)

the EA's were literally suggesting that times would be in the hours which i did think was a bit far fetched, but i guess nothing would surprise me either?

would living in Cobh and commuting via the passage west ferry be a fantasy? does that run all year round?

I reckon it'd be faster to just go straight from Cobh to the Tramore Road due to there usually being huge traffic from Passage to Rochestown/Douglas, especially at school times!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

TFB you think Cork is bad, it's shocking in Dublin. Took me 2 months to get somewhere to live. Been in there a few weeks now and still have no heating.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    TFB you think Cork is bad, it's shocking in Dublin. Took me 2 months to get somewhere to live. Been in there a few weeks now and still have no heating.

Give me Dublin any day, i could live with Mammy and commute :pac:.

renting in Ireland in general the last year or two is farcical. because there is such demand and such short supply, landlords are renting out absolute sheds for crazy money with a complete take it or leave it approach because they know that if you aren't desperate enough to take it yet, the next victim will be. it's actually disgusting.

need repair work done? need to speak to your landlord for anything at all? forget about it, might aswell be trying to get through to an english speaking customer service agent with vodafone as trying to get through to the landlord. yet, water charges havn't been paid and my phone is hopping. it works both ways :rolleyes:.

the place we moved into last year, had to spend a fortune on it in the end just to get it inhabitable, between painting, furniture, appliances, plumbing work, "pest control" etc but we were lucky to get somewhere at all. the landlord must have been delighted getting it back, she got a free renovation thrown in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Absentee landlords, rack rents, evictions, sh1t wet summer - all we're short is TB outbreak and a potato famine.
    -not sure there's a suitable smiley for this, half joking but things are gone a bit madin this country.

yeah, had planned on changing the celicas oil today, but sure it's pissing down.

i believe petrol is on the way down for a while though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

had someone attempt a less than 1 km/h overtake the other day on the motorway, he was slowly gaining on me from the overtaking lane for 2 solid minutes while I had the cruise control on 120.
    there was a truck in my lane doing about 115kmh so had to blast out in front of slow-overtaker to not be caught overtaking the truck for half an hour. lost him in the rear view but lo and behold a minute later there he was coming over the horizon still sitting in the passing lane just doing the 120.5 km/h without a care in the world

I've had people really slowly overtake before but this time was just comical
    0:25

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

He was doing a 0.5km/hr overtake if you were doing 120 and him 120.5 :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement