Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

*********Motors Chat - Round 9 *********

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

jimgoose wrote: »
    Not really. A quality unit like a Power Commander intercepts fuel-injector commands from the ECU (issued in accordance with its own map data) and adjusts them according to the PCs maps, hence the term "re-map". These devices work best in conjunction with other basic improvements like "fruity" exhausts and hi-flo air-filters. They work even better in conjunction with stage-2 modifications like lumpy cams and porting-and-flowing.

I was imagining it more like putting blinkers on a horse, that does make more sense, its like a man in the middle rather than just messing with sensor readings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I was imagining it more like putting blinkers on a horse, that does make more sense, its like a man in the middle rather than just messing with sensor readings

Oh yes. In fact, some of the latest models have an ignition module, as well as a Bosch MAP sensor and a general-purpose 0-5V sensor input allowing you to trim maps based on, e.g. boost pressure. They really are quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Water that pours into the door?

I can't picture what it is that you're trying to say there at all? Do you mean during installation? I don't recall any water ever being used installing mine (albeit i did use a steam cleaner to take them off for the NCT, once, but no excess water going anywhere near the door!?). :confused:

Take a look at some of the tint installation videos on youtube. They spray a huge amount of water on the interior side of the glass which then drips down into the electrics in the door.

Oh yes. In fact, some of the latest models have an ignition module, as well as a Bosch MAP sensor and a general-purpose 0-5V sensor input allowing you to trim maps based on, e.g. boost pressure. They really are quite good.

or to put a variable resistor on the 0-5v so you can turn your performance all the way up to 11 :cool:

it does actually sound a lot more appealing now especially since it could be returned to completely stock by just going back to having the ecu on its own

or to put a variable resistor on the 0-5v so you can turn your performance all the way up to 11 :cool:

it does actually sound a lot more appealing now especially since it could be returned to completely stock by just going back to having the ecu on its own

Aye. And the motorcycle mob get quickshifter, multiple switchable maps and auto-blipping. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Here's a shortish video on the installation of MS (albeit to an old MX5). Gives a fair indication of what's involved.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xhsH0TcvTKk

Aye. And the motorcycle mob get quickshifter, multiple switchable maps and auto-blipping. :cool:

On my 335i I had JB4 which gave me the choice of 7 different maps available on-the-fly through the steering wheel controls aswell as a lot of other stuff right in front of me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I was idly wondering what are the pitfalls in mapping a 1.8TDCI CMax with 340k km on the clock?
    Engine, gearbox and clutch are good, but EGR and Turbo are an unknown quantity. The car seems to drive fairly well, but the turbo has been making a bit of a "whooooop" noise under acceleration. It has done so for over 100k km, it doesn't seem to affect performance and by all accounts that particular turbo seems to make that noise almost as standard.
    What is the rebuild threshold for that turbo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

On my 335i I had JB4 which gave me the choice of 7 different maps available on-the-fly through the steering wheel controls aswell as a lot of other stuff right in front of me.
    Wow $$$ that's a serious sounding setup :eek:

I was idly wondering what are the pitfalls in mapping a 1.8TDCI CMax with 340k km on the clock?
    Engine, gearbox and clutch are good, but EGR and Turbo are an unknown quantity. The car seems to drive fairly well, but the turbo has been making a bit of a "whooooop" noise under acceleration. It has done so for over 100k km, it doesn't seem to affect performance and by all accounts that particular turbo seems to make that noise almost as standard.
    What is the rebuild threshold for that turbo?

Forget about remapping. Get a turbo out of an artic from a breakers yard and recondition it. Fit that to your CMax along with some seriously lumpy cams and whack the resultant 500HP into the last 500RPM before the redline. Drag-staaahh!! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Arseholes.i'm sitting in the car in Dundrum and this hipster bearded fúcker leans his new mop and bags against my car so he can chat on his phone.

I say "hey" and instead of getting a mortified apology I get a stream of abuse that I am a fat fúck sat in my car. Hope he suffers a catastrophic failure of some sort before he meets someone who reacts to his aggression with violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Forget about remapping. Get a turbo out of an artic from a breakers yard and recondition it. Fit that to your CMax along with some seriously lumpy cams and whack the resultant 500HP into the last 500RPM before the redline. Drag-staaahh!! :cool:

That will be me:

Or I just buy Brutus. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Better buy Brutus. :)

That will be me:...

Ach du lieber! Der Amerikanerdieselwagen ist poppenohren und der blackenschmoken wie ein Dumpfelstafen!!

but remapping a 110bhp diesel 4 door saloon? :confused: is it for more power or better fuel economy? is there actually much of a difference or is it just like changing the the curve on the accelerator to make it feel more responsive?

As far as I'm lead to believe (and I'm open to correction, of course, as I'm most likely wrong), doing a diesel remap will give better results than a petrol engine in terms of extra torque for taking off or overtaking, and better mpg.

Its also apparently better for making the car a tad more comfortable and refined to drive in the lower gears.

How true this is, I don't know. People say better mpg but no one seems to give any thing more accurate or precise than that. So I'd presume mpg figures are barely noticeably better, but if keeping a car for a few years and racking up a fair bit of mileage, the mpg difference might not actually save you any money ultimately, but it Will make your car a happier place to be.

Again, could be a million miles off bit that's what I am lead to believe (apologies if someone has already addressed this, using the phone and haven't caught up on the whole thread yet).

For me to remap a car, though, would require an established and reputable business to do it for me, who will stand over their work and who I can feel confident did a decent job.

I wouldn't like to DIY it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Yummy triple turbo compound :D Need more Cummins 6bt vids in heyor :cool:

I have wanted to do a compound turbo job for some time now and hopefully soon that will be a reality :)

As far as I'm lead to believe (and I'm open to correction, of course, as I'm most likely wrong), doing a diesel remap will give better results than a petrol engine in terms of extra torque for taking off or overtaking, and better mpg...

Not necessarily. It's all down to the individual engine and how castrated it is by the factory for driveability/emissions/noise reasons. If you do end up with switchable maps, keep one for Rollin' Coal, won't you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

KKV id wait till whatever warranty you got runs out before remapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Marcusm wrote: »
    Arseholes.i'm sitting in the car in Dundrum and this hipster bearded fúcker leans his new mop and bags against my car so he can chat on his phone.

I say "hey" and instead of getting a mortified apology I get a stream of abuse that I am a fat fúck sat in my car. Hope he suffers a catastrophic failure of some sort before he meets someone who reacts to his aggression with violence.

Wow think I'd of wrapped the mop and bucket around his beard.

Wow $$$ that's a serious sounding setup :eek:

It's an excellent set up but not as expensive as you'd think. IIRC it was around €400 delivered from the US.

Here it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

It's an excellent set up but not as expensive as you'd think. IIRC it was around €400 delivered from the US.

Here it is
    Unbelievable - that must be cheaper than a superchips Bluefin at the current exchange rate! I was expecting a lot more.

that menu for selecting different maps is very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

So I was in clare hall again to gather my lunchables when i spot this sentient being pulling into the forecourt

ford-ecosport-1-1-1.jpg?itok=PIkiVNFU

My first thought was...

10-son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

Its the perfect comparison, both physically and how I thought.

Plenty of new cars look shockin miserable. To match the miserable pcp payments so the owners can have a miserable moan about their miserable car miserably depreciating while miserably buying miserable cheap food in miserable lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just seen this advertised probably last good show of the summer.

IMG_1242_zpsnp8rsymz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Woke up this morning to a battery that was as dead as a dodo :mad:

Got a jump start and it's been running fine since, does anyone know if the battery needs to be replaced? Battery light comes up on the dash when you first start it up and then goes away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Woke up this morning to a battery that was as dead as a dodo :mad:

Got a jump start and it's been running fine since, does anyone know if the battery needs to be replaced? Battery light comes up on the dash when you first start it up and then goes away.

Does the light come on when you turn the ignition on but the engine isn't running yet and goes off straight after it's started?

How old is the battery? How did the battery become flat in the first place? Did you leave a light on?

Generally a battery should last 5 years. After that if you are having problems just replace it to save headaches. There's nothing worse than not being certain if the car will start in the morning.

So I was in clare hall again to gather my lunchables when i spot this sentient being pulling into the forecourt

ford-ecosport-1-1-1.jpg?itok=PIkiVNFU

My first thought was...

10-son-i-am-disappoint.jpg

Its the perfect comparison, both physically and how I thought.

Plenty of new cars look shockin miserable. To match the miserable pcp payments so the owners can have a miserable moan about their miserable car miserably depreciating while miserably buying miserable cheap food in miserable lidl

Get used to more and more Indian market stuff being offered here.
    Europe isn't the important market it was to car makers.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    KKV id wait till whatever warranty you got runs out before remapping.

Ah, I wouldn't be too concerned about any warranty they offer, but perhaps you're right in a roundabout way.

I think I'd like to have the car 'as is' for a month or two before remapping.. just to see if there is much difference (rather than jumping straight into a remapped car and not really appreciating any before/after).

That said, I contacted optidrive.ie...

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

We are very competitive with remapping prices and only charge €250 and service covered with money back guarantee and warranty.

All our maps are custom made to suit your vehicle and provide optimal engine performance.

There are many benefits to remapping your Citroën C5 which include:
    Increased power and torque,
    Improved throttle response,
    Reduced engine hesitation,
    Improved fuel economy & more.

Please feel free to write if we can be at any further assistance.

Can't really argue with that?!

*insert car name here*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    *insert car name here*

My thoughts exactly, an email like that would turn me off a place.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement