Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Nodin wrote: »
    You might explain that for us old and slow folk.

People using adblock cuts down on the amount of money youtubers can make off people viewing their videos.

Some of the bigger channels and youtubers can make serious money off youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

JustShon wrote: »
    They occasionally do hysterics and screaming too. Or so I'm told, only real woman I've ever met is my mam.

It's not their fault to be fair, it's brought on by an imbalance caused by the lack of an anchoring force in their lives. Essentially, all women feel like they're missing a penis and hate men because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

Donald Trump would make an excellent president.
    He will make things happen.

His tone will change drastically once he gets elected and he will be liked by a lot more people than at the moment and not just in the US.

Dunno if this will be an unpopular opinion here, but it seems to be elsewhere on the internet;

Youtube is not a real job, stop fuccking whining about people using adblock.
    Tell that to the Swedish lad making not $7.5mn a year to have people watch him play video games! :p

To be fair though, there is a lot of work goes into many of those videos. That pewdiepie fella from above for example, has to make a few videos a week most likely (don't follow him, but that seems to be the standard). For each video he has to play hours and hours of video games, which would be fun but he also plays a lot of crap ones for comedy purposes... that would get a bit boring. Then he has to edit the videos down to a few minutes or whatnot from those hours of footage - that's hugely time consuming. Then there is the adding of production values, which would either take considerable more time again, or which he would need to pay to have done for him.

It's not (or rarely) just a matter of slapping on the phone camera for 2-3 minutes once every week or two for a lot of the most successful ones. They view it like a job because they treat it like a job, and if they make money off that then it looks, walks and sounds like a duck as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

saram wrote: »

His tone will change drastically once he gets elected and he will be liked by a lot more people than at the moment and not just in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Billy86 wrote: »
    It's not (or rarely) just a matter of slapping on the phone camera for 2-3 minutes once every week or two for a lot of the most successful ones. They view it like a job because they treat it like a job, and if they make money off that then it looks, walks and sounds like a duck as far as I'm concerned.

Tends to be the case that you get out of it what you put in when it comes to YouTube channels.

If you put a tonne of time and effort into it then you can make a living, assuming you're any good at it and have a popular enough channel theme.

If you make the odd video on your phone and post it then you'll make pocket change, if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Tell that to the Swedish lad making not $7.5mn a year to have people watch him play video games! :p

To be fair though, there is a lot of work goes into many of those videos. That pewdiepie fella from above for example, has to make a few videos a week most likely (don't follow him, but that seems to be the standard). For each video he has to play hours and hours of video games, which would be fun but he also plays a lot of crap ones for comedy purposes... that would get a bit boring. Then he has to edit the videos down to a few minutes or whatnot from those hours of footage - that's hugely time consuming. Then there is the adding of production values, which would either take considerable more time again, or which he would need to pay to have done for him.

I'd know the brother of Septic Eye Jack a little bit through work and that guy puts a lot of work into what he does and he gets good money for it. It wouldn't be my cup of tea in any way, shape or form but he's found a receptive audience and fair balls to him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'd know the brother of Septic Eye Jack a little bit through work and that guy puts a lot of work into what he does and he gets good money for it. It wouldn't be my cup of tea in any way, shape or form but he's found a receptive audience and fair balls to him.

12 hours a day apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

I suspect the better tactic would be to become likeable while running in the popularity contest, and not after it.

As for 'things': you, I nor he know what 'things' he will make happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Quality online content is an art form, like an other media, and that quality should be rewarded.

A lot of drama on YouTube right now about 'reactors' stealing revenue streams from content makers by dancing around fair use policy. Not on in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's not their fault to be fair, it's brought on by an imbalance caused by the lack of an anchoring force in their lives. Essentially, all women feel like they're missing a penis and hate men because of it.

Certainly the ability to affix oneself securely by means of using one's penis comes in handy in the windy weather we've had to endure. A quick cleat knot and you're ready for the worst that the world can throw at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I disagree, his economic policies would exacerbate income inequality. He would certainly lead America into another war or two. He hasn't a clue about politics . He's just living in another world that is far-removed from that of your average American.

He's also unreliable, He was democrat, then a republican, then he went to the reform party, then democrat again, then to the Republican party, then to independent, to go back to Republican. So he's a chameleon that changes his colours depending on what sort of Environment is most propitious to him.

He is just a demagogue in my opinion. He just gets support by playing on the perceived fears of Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Weddings and Hen / Stag parties are plain egotistical and in the majority of situations purely done for 'keeping up appearances' reasons. Keeping up with the Jones springs to mind! I have no time for the whole wedding malark and DREAD ever being asked to a hen / stag party and would prefer a court summons to a wedding invitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I disagree, his economic policies would exacerbate income inequality. He would certainly lead America into another war or two. He hasn't a clue about politics . He's just living in another world that is far-removed from that of your average American.

He's also unreliable, He was democrat, then a republican, then he went to the reform party, then democrat again, then to the Republican party, then to independent, to go back to Republican. So he's a chameleon that changes his colours depending on what sort of Environment is most propitious to him.

He is just a demagogue in my opinion. He just gets support by playing on the perceived fears of Americans.
    And this embodiment of greed who'd call poor people losers one time... now embraces the poor (and uneducated, impressionable folk who see him as their saviour because they are unfortunately easy prey) to his heart. How adorable and sincere of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Are you american or living in the states? If not your last point is just ridiculous.

It is true that Trump doesn't look like a politician and doesn't sound like one. I thought that would make him more popular but I guess when push comes to shove the average voter, seasoned with political rhetoric, are more comfortable with the devils they know.

Are you american or living in the states? If not your last point is just ridiculous.

It is true that Trump doesn't look like a politician and doesn't sound like one. I thought that would make him more popular but I guess when push comes to shove the average voter, seasoned with political rhetoric, are more comfortable with the devils they know.
    He did sound more like a politician last time he ran, this time he just realised that people identify themselves by what they hate more than anything else, and that tactical, planned "plain speaking" resonates with angry people feeling hate more than tactical, planned "political speaking".

I don't see how someone not being from the US makes their point that trump lives a very different lifestyle to the average person from there is ridiculous, mind?

I don't see how someone not being from the US makes their point that trump lives a very different lifestyle to the average person from there is ridiculous, mind?

I would have to disagree and say that someone from outside the US, living outside the US doesn't qualify to make that judgement. It actually contradicts the point it's trying to make.

And furthermore, if living a different lifestyle to the average american deems a person unfit to run the country then american politics needs drastic change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Game of Thrones is boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

He did sound more like a politician last time he ran, this time he just realised that people identify themselves by what they hate more than anything else, and that tactical, planned "plain speaking" resonates with angry people feeling hate more than tactical, planned "political speaking".

At least we can be thankful that, turning 70 this year, he's pretty old. Once the election is done and dusted and someone else is inevitably sworn in, that is probably the end of his presidential aspirations (though he'll likely spend the remainder of his hopefully not-too-many days making accusations of vote-rigging or some such easily-ignored nonsense.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

There's no reason it is ridiculous. US middle class incomes have been stagnant since the 1970s, whilst the incomes of those at the top (1%) have growing exponentially . There is empirical evidence to suggest that standard of living in the United States is quite substandard compared to Ireland.

Going by your logic.,I cant criticize life in Apartheid South Africa, or life east of the Berlin Wall because I didn't live there ? ]#

Seems a bit odd you're suggesting it is ridiculous that I can't talk about American life without living there ? I mean historians, Archaeologists and politicians talking about lives of other people living in other countries,cultures and even centuries than their own.

To restrict the discussion to those who are "American and living in the united states" is quite a zany supposition imo.

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    At least we can be thankful that, turning 70 this year, he's pretty old. Once the election is done and dusted and someone else is inevitably sworn in, that is probably the end of his presidential aspirations (though he'll likely spend the remainder of his hopefully not-too-many days making accusations of vote-rigging or some such easily-ignored nonsense.)
    Ronnie Reagan was president aged nearly 70 to 78!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

People who claim that you can't be sexist to men or you can't be racist against whites.

'Racist against white people' or 'anti-white racism' or, worst of all 'reserve racism' makes me incoherently angry. I find it very hard to remain calm enough to discuss/explain my anger which means I rarely say anything because raving like a lunatic is counter productive to intelligent debate.

Similar to 'white trash'. The implication is that 'trash' is so obviously generally not white that when it is white this break from the norm needs to be explicitly stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

'Racist against white people' or 'anti-white racism' or, worst of all 'reserve racism' makes me incoherently angry. I find it very hard to remain calm enough to discuss/explain my anger which means I rarely say anything because raving like a lunatic is counter productive to intelligent debate.

Similar to 'white trash'. The implication is that 'trash' is so obviously generally not white that when it is white this break from the norm needs to be explicitly stated.

Agreed, racism is racism regardless of which direction it's going. Trash is trash regardless of skin colour and sexism is sexism regardless of the gender of the person doing it.

There's no reason it is ridiculous. US middle class incomes have been stagnant since the 1970s, whilst the incomes of those at the top (1%) have growing exponentially . There is empirical evidence to suggest that standard of living in the United States is quite substandard compared to Ireland.

Going by your logic.,I cant criticize life in Apartheid South Africa, or life east of the Berlin Wall because I didn't live there ? ]#

Seems a bit odd you're suggesting it is ridiculous that I can't talk about American life without living there ? I mean historians, Archaeologists and politicians talking about lives of other people living in other countries,cultures and even centuries than their own.

To restrict the discussion to those who are "American and living in the united states" is quite a zany supposition imo.

I'm not saying your assertion isn't true. Of course it's true. It's so bloody obvious it's not worth saying. But something about the way it read pushed me to reply. You saying he knows nothing about ordinary Americans despite the fact you're not from there or have never lived there is irksome to me. I would say he has more knowledge about ordinary Americans than you have. You can certainly make the suggestion but don't make it sound like you're in the thick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I cant wait til this whole centenary business is done with. Every internet super patriot has come out to bore the tits off everyone with their "4 green fields" patter.

I couldn't give a sh1te about nationality. Doesn't define me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I cant wait til this whole centenary business is done with. Every internet super patriot has come out to bore the tits off everyone with their "4 green fields" patter.

I actually think they have done very little to celebrate the centenary so far, I have no idea what events are happening to mark it, so far all I'm aware of is the rebellion series which was crap, 1916 stamps which are lovely and the 1916 documentary which is narrated by Liam nee son which is very good, in my opinion they should be doing a lot more to commemorate it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

It doesn't define you, but it does shape the person you are in an awful lot of different ways. You aren't but some people are proud of this and there's nothing wrong with that.

Your opinion on the centenary isn't unpopular by the way, I'm hearing it so much these days it's damn boring and unoriginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I dont get Bill Murray. I just think he is an a$$hole

An unpopular opinion among "muso" types: I think Coldplay are good. In their early years I found them really dull, but in the past maybe eight years I think they've churned out some cracking catchy pop-songs like Viva La Vida, Paradise, the one with Rihanna, Magic, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Certain words like "racism", "sexism", "genocide" and now it appears, "rape", have had their definitions expanded to the point that they are losing their meaning, and unfortunately as a consequence, their power.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement