Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Soccer fans have a much higher base knowledge of the sport they follow than rugby supporters. Band-wagoners included. Whether it's having a more than workable insight into who is winning whichever European league, acknowledging the best players from other teams (I dare say most of the rugby crowd you will see in droves over the next seven weekends wouldn't be fit to name half the opposition players), the latest comings and goings and main talking points in the sport as a whole, or being able to give a more in-depth report on how the match went than "Ireland won. <insert latest flavour of the month here> is a hero".

Perfectly encapsulated here: http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/02/04/rugby-fan-dusts-off-world-cup-jersey-ahead-of-6-nations-start/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Soccer fans have a much higher base knowledge of the sport they follow than rugby supporters. Band-wagoners included. Whether it's having a more than workable insight into who is winning whichever European league, acknowledging the best players from other teams (I dare say most of the rugby crowd you will see in droves over the next seven weekends wouldn't be fit to name half the opposition players), the latest comings and goings and main talking points in the sport as a whole, or being able to give a more in-depth report on how the match went than "Ireland won. <insert latest flavour of the month here> is a hero".

Perfectly encapsulated here: http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2016/02/04/rugby-fan-dusts-off-world-cup-jersey-ahead-of-6-nations-start/

Jesus lad, every time I see you post about sport you have a dig at Rugby, you're obsessed with it, did O'Driscoil skip in front of you in a queue or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

That's because Soccer has more exposure. It's played more, has more match attendances, more clubs, more leagues, higher wages for players etc.

And a big reason too is that Rugby only became professional in the late 1990's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

That Super Mario World is really lame compared to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Meh, it's all pointless when possibly the best game of all time came spawned from them both, a few years later.

No, not Yoshi's Island! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

jooksavage wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen is a load of middle-of-the-road b*****ks. His interminable shows would be bad enough even if you weren't by surrounded by tens of thousands of insufferable bell-ends.

Last time someone gave out about a famous icon they passed away the day later.

RIP Bruce Springsteen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

RIP Bruce Springsteen.

Who was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Who was that?

Bowie, the news broke on the 11th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Who was that?

I went on a bit of a rant about Gerry Ryan's wages in a test a few years back, early in the morning. Had not heard he died the night before, not even joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

RIP Bruce Springsteen.

Ha well now I would feel bad if anything happened to him. Mostly because I'd have to put up with an endless torrent of eulogising from his nauseating fans on TV, radio, newspaers, Internet forums etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Jesus lad, every time I see you post about sport you have a dig at Rugby, you're obsessed with it, did O'Driscoil skip in front of you in a queue or something?

It's as bad the guy that keeps popping up with a post that includes 15 videos anytime someone uses the word 'retarded'.

Any minute now…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

he has a decent point today though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Beyonce is a racist and the only reason she get's away with it is because she's black, Supporting a racist terrorist organisation at the Super Bowl, imagine a white person praising the KKK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Beyonce is a racist and the only reason she get's away with it is because she's black, Supporting a racist terrorist organisation at the Super Bowl, imagine a white person praising the KKK.

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

ya so is Opera Winfrey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

fin12 wrote: »
    ya so is Opera Winfrey.
    Oprah is always putting down white people, won't be friends with or work with white people, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Azalea wrote: »
    Oprah is always putting down white people, won't be friends with or work with white people, etc?

Is Oprah not married/shacked up with a white guy, Stedman Graham?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The true mark of a racist. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

She sure is. Oddly enough, the same fella is originally from Whitesboro, New Jersey. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Most politicians are hard working and do a good job. Unpopular thing to say I know and no I'm not a politician or related to one.

Also think the Irish rugby team is ridiculously over-hyped. Although that opinion is becoming more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Suckler

Also think the Irish rugby team is ridiculously over-hyped.

This and the six nations. Completely stagnant competition that does none of the teams competing any use when it comes to big tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Suckler wrote: »
    This and the six nations. Completely stagnant competition that does none of the teams competing any use when it comes to big tournaments.

Em, the Six Nations is a big tournament. The only International Rugby Competition that is bigger is the World Cup.

The quality of teams in the Southern Hemisphere is certainly better, but it isn't a bigger competition.

No. look him up. and theres a phone conversation between her and her bestfriend Gail going on about white folk.

Stedman Graham isn't white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

France don't really take the 6N seriously, nearly beaten by Italy at home. France haven't taken it seriously for years. They take the World Cup more seriously. The French are mainly interested in their club competitions and the European Cup. Anyways I don't want to keep bashing the 6N, only to say its over-hyped, particularly in this country.

No. look him up. and theres a phone conversation between her and her bestfriend Gail going on about white folk.

Stedman Graham isn't white.

Linky? (about the phone call)

Nodin wrote: »
    Linky? (about the phone call)

its on youtube, i cant look it up now, just type in oprah winfrey racist, might come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Wtf?

The Black Panthers that was what the halftime show was about.

its on youtube, i cant look it up now, just type in oprah winfrey racist, might come up.

Stuff comes up allright, but theres nothing about a phone call. Theres her talking about when old racists die off it will help end racism or something to that effect, but no haytin on whitey that I can see.

Stuff comes up allright, but theres nothing about a phone call. Theres her talking about when old racists die off it will help end racism or something to that effect, but no haytin on whitey that I can see.

oh so you couldn't find any audio where her and Gail are talking about white people?? ya I might have look later myself this evening. I definitely remember listening to it. There were laughing and joking about getting white folk to work for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDmtPuPbVgU, I think it sounds racist anyway. Im at work so cant really search for stuff but il have a look later this evening

I can understand criticism of Beyonce supporting the black panthers, but to be a racist she would have to actively hate white people which she clearly doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Azalea wrote: »
    I can understand criticism of Beyonce supporting the black panthers, but to be a racist she would have to actively hate white people which she clearly doesn't.

Supporting the Panthers is tantamount to saying she hates whites; look up their list of demands on their wiki, it's mental. Some of it is fair- like asking for an end up police brutality, but some of it is insane-like asking for the release of *all* black prisoners.

They were a violent organisation who did nothing to further the cause of African Americans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement