Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Aidan Holland

Seeing as it's valentines day it got me thinking about true love and frankly I don't believe in it.If true love actually existed and there was a man and a woman out there for everyone why can't a person with down syndrome,Ms, spina bifida or a wheelchair user find love or are they deemed unworthy of receiving this love by society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Seeing as it's valentines day it got me thinking about true love and frankly I don't believe in it.If true love actually existed and there was a man and a woman out there for everyone why can't a person with down syndrome,Ms, spina bifida or a wheelchair user find love or are they deemed unworthy of receiving this love by society.

Who says they can't?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I do believe in love but I also know that love isn't enough either, I really understand that saying, I don't believe there is just one person for someone I believe u can be compatible with a number of people it's just being in the right place at the right time..... I really hope to find that person, it is lonely.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I cant wait til this whole centenary business is done with. Every internet super patriot has come out to bore the tits off everyone with their "4 green fields" patter.

I couldn't give a sh1te about nationality. Doesn't define me.

I always search posts like this and your most recent posts were all about how "we" didn't perform well against France.

There are some people who can slough off nationality, but they tend not to live where they were born, or think much about where they were born. Where the new place accepts them or not is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

I always search posts like this and your most recent posts were all about how "we" didn't perform well against France.

There are some people who can slough off nationality, but they tend not to live where they were born, or think much about where they were born. Where the new place accepts them or not is a different story.

I was born in England but mostly grew up here. Some people think you're Irish, some people would spit on you for being English. I feel like both, neither, either or on any given day.

I had a chat with the missus earlier. She's mad to live in Japan again. She'd rather bring her kids up in Japan than Korea, where she's from. It got me thinking of half Korean/half Irish/English kids growing up in Japan. What do they feel like? I know the Japanese can be iffy about who they accept as real Japanese, same as anywhere I guess.

Got me thinking that is hope they'd feel like whatever they wanted, be that Irish, Korean or nothing at all.

Anyway... Should we all vote for Sinn Fein, just to see what happens?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Right. I was born in Ireland. Don't live there. I support Irish rugby in the same way that I would support Liverpool or Ulster rugby. I grew up watching them, bonds formed as a supporter that transcend passports (once you have more than 2 they don't mean much.

Without taxing yourself too much I'm sure you can imagine that having grown up somewhere and having a the majority of your family and friends there you would have a certain interest in the country doing well. That's not nationalism, not in the most lazy definition.

"I always search posts like this...."

Sure, everyone has to have a hobby I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

ps, as to the "new place" , aye, we're grand thanks.

I "slough" (assume you meant slag) off "nationality" (well, actually nationalism, which is different of course) because it's an easily accepted barrier to honest examination of how societies of people cooperate. It's lazily inherited all too easily. Nationalism, not nationality. I do hope you know what the difference is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

It must have been said before....

People who have never stepped foot in Ireland and don't have even citizenship calling themselves Irish cause of some great great grandads fish. How far back do we go? Am I Norwegian based on the Vikings? (As an example)

And people accusing the 'Americans' of being geographically challenged when they really mean the us. Its a continent, not a country Mr glasshouse

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

esforum wrote: »
    It must have been said before....

People who have never stepped foot in Ireland and don't have even citizenship calling themselves Irish cause of some great great grandads fish. How far back do we go? Am I Norwegian based on the Vikings? (As an example)

And people accusing the 'Americans' of being geographically challenged when they really mean the us. Its a continent, not a country Mr glasshouse

Just on your last point, the U.S.A stands for United States of America so American is the proper denonym. I've never heard anyone being called United Statesian. Also, it's a young country relatively speaking with many many ethic populations so most families can trace their roots back a few generations and identify with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just on your last point, the U.S.A stands for United States of America so American is the proper denonym. I've never heard anyone being called United Statesian. Also, it's a young country relatively speaking with many many ethic populations so most families can trace their roots back a few generations and identify with them.

I had a serious reply but then I thought 'Way to get all serious in a fun thread'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Anyway... Should we all vote for Sinn Fein, just to see what happens?

Definitely not on their current policies, I'd be seriously looking at leaving the country, before they have to bring in capital controls as people with ambition abandon the place (or they start converting prices to the punt nua).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

I cant wait til this whole centenary business is done with. Every internet super patriot has come out to bore the tits off everyone with their "4 green fields" patter.

I couldn't give a sh1te about nationality. Doesn't define me.

Maybe your nationality doesn't define you, but it may define (most likely) part of everyone else.

This is the only centenary of an important part of our history we'll ever have.

Should we all stop and pretend it didn't happen because you don't like it.

In my opinion, I'm wondering are all these "super patriots" a new phenomenon?

Plenty of middle class "super patriots" claiming the Irish rugby team are great, when they're clearly under performing :pac:.
    Do you have a problem with those?

If it's the case, you're uncomfortable about celebrating the country, possibly due to you living abroad, well that's too bad, I believe it's long overdue.

Go and look at the UK, France and the US and you will see "super patriots" every year -poppies, Bastille, 4th of July.

If it offends, possibly the UK, well that's too bad, I'm not offended by their commemorations.

About time we got our act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

storker wrote: »
    Certain words like "racism", "sexism", "genocide" and now it appears, "rape", have had their definitions expanded to the point that they are losing their meaning, and unfortunately as a consequence, their power.

Most annoying thing is that it's those that claim to represent the victims of these things are the ones changing the meaning, while at the same time making a name for themselves for their own selfish reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Before I give my unpopular opinion, can I first say that I was the ultimate SW fan when I was young.

Crazy about it, all the characters, toys, I seen the 1st 3 films about 20 times in the cinema. (lets forget the 1st 3 with Neeson etc, they were pants).

Now I haven't watched the original films in about 10yrs or more, but recently since my eldest son seen The Force Awakens, he was asking about watching them, so I decided to watch the original trilogy with him.

Having just watched A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi over the last week, jez they are corny, badly scripted, badly acted and not as brilliant as I remember. Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill can't act to save their skins! Wooden isn't the word. Script is overall pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

NIMAN wrote: »
    Having just watched A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi over the last week, jez they are corny, badly scripted, badly acted and not as brilliant as I remember. Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill can't act to save their skins! Wooden isn't the word. Script is overall pathetic.

I started watching the original trilogy as well to get in the mood for the new film. I didn't make it past half of a New Hope and I didn't bother going to the movie. I think I must have watched Return of the Jedi over a hundred times as a child and the other two video tapes were completely worn out as well but I have to admit I couldn't care less about the franchise any more.

Ah, Harrison Ford can act - he's shown his chops off in plenty of other films throughout the years - but he can't hide how shít he thinks the script is and everything that's going on around him is in those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

My unpopular opinion is that i believe people are fundamentally assholes. Its why I love dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Iang87 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is that i believe people are fundamentally assholes.

I think opinions like this are generally a reflection of what people think about themselves.

That's why I think people are fundamentally sexy, intelligent and unbelievably funny with an ass that won't quit…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I think opinions like this are generally a reflection of what people think about themselves.

That's why I think people are fundamentally sexy, intelligent and unbelievably funny with an ass that won't quit…

But my ass does quit! :(

Craps out on me a lot :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Before I give my unpopular opinion, can I first say that I was the ultimate SW fan when I was young.

Crazy about it, all the characters, toys, I seen the 1st 3 films about 20 times in the cinema. (lets forget the 1st 3 with Neeson etc, they were pants).

Now I haven't watched the original films in about 10yrs or more, but recently since my eldest son seen The Force Awakens, he was asking about watching them, so I decided to watch the original trilogy with him.

Jaysus help ye if ye see the new one.

When I hear members of the public complaining that "they aren't seeing the recovery and where are all the jobs the Gov is talking about", they obviously didn't try hard enough in school, go and get a degree or masters or whatever was needed to get the jobs that are out there.

Huge US multinationals like Google, Apple, Intel etc don't have much need for scallys who lie in their bed til noon and watch Jeremy Kyle during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm not interested in the election wont be voting.

You and about 30% of the voting population, so not that unpopular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Huge US multinationals like Google, Apple, Intel etc don't have much need for scallys who lie in their bed til noon and watch Jeremy Kyle during the day.
    I'm sure they run night shifts, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

When I hear members of the public complaining that "they aren't seeing the recovery and where are all the jobs the Gov is talking about", they obviously didn't try hard enough in school, go and get a degree or masters or whatever was needed to get the jobs that are out there.

Yeah and where are all these jobs? Dublin or as near to Dublin as possible. Some people forget that there are 25 other counties with people with their tongues hanging out for a job but don't want to spend their whole lives on the M50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Yeah and where are all these jobs? Dublin or as near to Dublin as possible. Some people forget that there are 25 other counties with people with their tongues hanging out for a job but don't want to spend their whole lives on the M50
    Moving to a little outside Dublin isn't going to kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Voting isn't about the election. It's about how you live for the next five years, and how your children or grandchildren will live beyond that.

Billy86 wrote: »

Bit hard when you might have a family...kids in school, mortgage on a home well away from Dublin, what if you like where you live?

So people just have to bend to this bullshyte? Even if you did move to counties surrounding Dublin, property prices are almost as jacked up as Dublin itself. Plenty of room down the country for these multinationals and keep people from moving or stupidly long and costly commutes.

Billy86 wrote: »

Bit hard when you might have a family...kids in school, mortgage on a home well away from Dublin, what if you like where you live?

So people just have to bend to this bullshyte? Even if you did move to counties surrounding Dublin, property prices are almost as jacked up as Dublin itself. Plenty of room down the country for these multinationals and keep people from moving or stupidly long and costly commutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just to clarify here, you're saying that if you don't have a degree, you don't deserve a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I much prefer this version to the Tracey Chapman original. Great summery vibe to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement