Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Billy86 wrote: »
    I hadn't actually heard that, but now that you mention it, I can't (on a Monday morning over here, pre-coffee also admittedly) think of a better action movie in the last 25-odd years...

I'd say The Bourne Franchise, Dredd, The Raid, The Matrix. Even Speed was more engrossing for me.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Mad Max and it is one of the best action movies. but there have been better in the last 25 years,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'd say The Bourne Franchise, Dredd, The Raid, The Matrix. Even Speed was more engrossing for me.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked Mad Max and it is one of the best action movies. but there have been better in the last 25 years,

Bourne is a good shout come to think of it, and the original Matrix surely would have to be #1 overall if not damn close (so many mind bending visuals at the time, though at 14 I think when it came out on DVD I couldn't have been a better age). Wouldn't agree on Dredd personally or The Raid, though the latter is more a matter of personal preference (and The Raid is pretty stunning, don't get me wrong).

I just loved Mad Max so much, always been a big big fan of the series though ever since I saw The Road Warrior when I was a small kid, just completely caught my imagination and hasn't stopped it since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I hate most Irish culinary dishes and I hate tea and coffee.

Do we have actual 'Irish' dishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Schwiiing wrote: »

Irish food, I'm told, is famous around the world as being ****ty and bland. What little Irish food we have, that is. Well known, along with the British, for our love of takeaway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Schwiiing wrote: »

Stew, coddle, boxty, bacon and cabbage?

I find coddle quite comforting from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Irish food, I'm told, is famous around the world as being ****ty and bland.

Not true.

In France etc, Irish salmon, beef, etc is somewhat of a middle class thing.

Who told you it was bland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

PressRun wrote: »
    Stew, coddle, boxty, bacon and cabbage?

I find coddle quite comforting from time to time.

Simple food like Irish food, though not exactly world class by any stretch of the imagination, is comforting the odd time because of its simplicity. My brother, bless him, made me a plate of mashed spuds, bacon and peas while I was home with absolutely no sauce or even butter whatsoever and it was very nice to have on a cold Winter's day in a delicate state after a night on the stouts.

I'd say we're pretty great at the soups as well - you can't anything like them anywhere I've lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

As a professional pianist/drummer, I gig on Friday nights after work. It drives me spare when people go on about drums being easy (hardest imho) and Travis Barker/Dave Grohl being the best drummer in the world. I could blow both away. Maybe its because of the nature of my workplace (I work in finance). There is no best drummer. There may be prominent drummers that in my opinion maybe the best in their genres such as:

Jazz: Max Roach/Elvin Jones
    Rock: John Bonham
    Best in history: Buddy Rich
    Current world leader: Dave Weckl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

A massacre is a viable means to quelling a rebellious populous.

In Rome Total war.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

i love country music.

• Advertisement

walshyn93 wrote: »
    A massacre is a viable means to quelling a rebellious populous.

In Rome Total war.

I always occupy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭walshyn93

I always occupy.

You didn't occupy Halicarnassus did you, you mad man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I always occupy.

#OccupyForumRomanum :pac:

I toyed with the idea of using "Military Ruler of all Japan" as my username here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Not true.

In France etc, Irish salmon, beef, etc is somewhat of a middle class thing.

Who told you it was bland?

That's Irish produce you're referring to (which is considered to be of a high standard), as opposed to Irish cuisine (which is not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

"Irish cuisine" to me is just standard meat and veg stuff that's pretty universal throughout the western world, no?

Azalea wrote: »
    "Irish cuisine" to me is just standard meat and veg stuff that's pretty universal throughout the western world, no?

I don't think any country manages to eat it so boringly plain as we do, not even the English. It's quite a feat that we managed to completely ignore virtually every spice and herb etc. going when we cooked. I think we (understandably) cooked purely for fuel and not for taste and enjoyment like other countries. They have their own version of bacon and cabbage here but it's cooked with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and some other mystery ingredients. In fairness, they've a lot more variety of herbs, oils, fruit and veg here because of the climate.

I don't think any country manages to eat it so boringly plain as we do, not even the English. It's quite a feat that we managed to completely ignore virtually every spice and herb etc. going when we cooked. I think we (understandably) cooked purely for fuel and not for taste and enjoyment like other countries. They have their own version of bacon and cabbage here but it's cooked with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and some other mystery ingredients. In fairness, they've a lot more variety of herbs, oils, fruit and veg here because of the climate.

I think it's to do with Ireland being quite a poor country, historically. Dishes like coddle are considered 'working class' meals. I don't imagine herbs and spices were easily come by for many working class Irish people when a lot of these dishes were being put together.

Anything based on actual famous and well known events, be they movies, TV shows, and books, should be fair game for spoilers. The 1916 rising show, called Rebellion, has "please, no spoilers" in it's title on the TV forum. I mean, really. Almost every one knows how it ends, otherwise why would you watch it?

Psst: it doesn't end well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That most Irish people are whiney passive aggressive idiots when it comes to consumer issues. Complaining behind closed doors/on keyboards or giving shít to front of line staff who don't make the decisions that affect consumers and cant do anything about them.

• Advertisement

I'd hazard a guess that they don't want the fates of the characters which aren't historical figures to be spoiled.

Anything based on actual famous and well known events, be they movies, TV shows, and books, should be fair game for spoilers. The 1916 rising show, called Rebellion, has "please, no spoilers" in it's title on the TV forum. I mean, really. Almost every one knows how it ends, otherwise why would you watch it?

I think 1-2 weeks is long enough for a TV show or film. Anyone who wants to see it will have done so by then.

100 years would be pushing it a bit :D

I'm done holding back on spoilers for Making a Murderer. It's been out in its entirety since before Christmas and the events of the documentary happened long before that. It's not a fictional drama.

It's pretty hard to avoid spoilers for Making a Murderer, yesterday I saw a link to an article on Vice about
    the accused's lawyer believing that he didn't do a good enough job defending him.

I think it's to do with Ireland being quite a poor country, historically. Dishes like coddle are considered 'working class' meals. I don't imagine herbs and spices were easily come by for many working class Irish people when a lot of these dishes were being put together.

Absolutely. HOWEVER, I'd argue it was down to lack of "exotic" produce too, which, I would say, was down to climate. Many poor countries could still whip up tasty food out of very little. Spices and herbs can do wonder for any auld crap.

Absolutely. HOWEVER, I'd argue it was down to lack of "exotic" produce too, which, I would say, was down to climate. Many poor countries could still whip up tasty food out of very little. Spices and herbs can do wonder for any auld crap.

Well sure, that's kind of my point. Ireland is not a country where herbs and spices were easily come by, traditionally. Vegetables and cheap meats were all the average person could afford and was all the average farmer could produce from the land. I'm sure in somewhere like Mexico, food we consider "exotic" is very commonplace and therefore affordable for even poorer people. In places like Russia, they would have a similar taste for plain meat and vegetable meals. I've had Jewish cuisine that is quite similar to Irish cuisine too. I think anywhere that is historically poorer has limited options, especially if it's a milder or cold climate. People aren't necessarily just using food for fuel, they just don't have the same options as the average poor Mexican or Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm done holding back on spoilers for Making a Murderer. It's been out in its entirety since before Christmas and the events of the documentary happened long before that. It's not a fictional drama.

Completely agree.
    The fact he's in jail now
    is considered a spoiler for some people. Really cop yourselves on!

Well sure, that's kind of my point. Ireland is not a country where herbs and spices were easily come by, traditionally. Vegetables and cheap meats were all the average person could afford and was all the average farmer could produce from the land. I'm sure in somewhere like Mexico, food we consider "exotic" is very commonplace and therefore affordable for even poorer people. In places like Russia, they would have a similar taste for plain meat and vegetable meals. I've had Jewish cuisine that is quite similar to Irish cuisine too. I think anywhere that is historically poorer has limited options, especially if it's a milder or cold climate. People aren't necessarily just using food for fuel, they just don't have the same options as the average poor Mexican or Italian.

We're saying the same thing :-) I did pretty much say as much in the last line of my original post.
    In fairness, they've a lot more variety of herbs, oils, fruit and veg here (not Ireland) because of the climate.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Completely agree.
    The fact he's in jail now
    is considered a spoiler for some people. Really cop yourselves on!

Yeah, I was in the pub last weekend with a bunch of people and we were chatting away about the show, and one guy who hadn't seen it goes "Don't spoil anything, I'm only a couple of episodes in!" I just don't understand how a non-fiction television show can even be "spoiled". The events of the show are past tense and really happened. It's not Breaking Bad ffs.

I actually read something (or maybe heard it on the radio) about how knowing spoilers doesn't actually have as much of an effect on a person's enjoyment of something as we think. For example, people are able to watch certain films they love or read the same book over and over and still enjoy them every time even though they know how it all ends. I've watched The Sopranos through more than once and I've enjoyed it each time. Sometimes I think it's actually better when you know how it ends because you end up paying attention to other subtle things going on with the story-telling rather than getting carried away with the action or twists and turns in the story.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was in the pub last weekend with a bunch of people and we were chatting away about the show, and one guy who hadn't seen it goes "Don't spoil anything, I'm only a couple of episodes in!" I just don't understand how a non-fiction television show can even be "spoiled". The events of the show are past tense and really happened. It's not Breaking Bad ffs.

I actually read something (or maybe heard it on the radio) about how knowing spoilers doesn't actually have as much of an effect on a person's enjoyment of something as we think. For example, people are able to watch certain films they love or read the same book over and over and still enjoy them every time even though they know how it all ends. I've watched The Sopranos through more than once and I've enjoyed it each time. Sometimes I think it's actually better when you know how it ends because you end up paying attention to other subtle things going on with the story-telling rather than getting carried away with the action or twists and turns in the story.

Oftentimes I'll read the plot section of the Wikipedia page of a movie I'm watching, while watching it and spoil the ending. So I can concentrate more on what's happening now, rather than waiting to see what's coming. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement