Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Regarding the Oscar controversy...

There should be complete equality but has anyone actually considered the possibility that the Academy actually voted for the performances they considered were the best and the fact they are all white is just a coincidence.

Poor me I'm in an oppressed minority says gazillionaire superstar. Well boo-fúcking-hoo:mad:

What you are Mr Smith is pussy whipped, not oppressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Calls for the Oscars to be more diverse is ridiculous, If I was a member of the academy I would be insulted at the insinuation that the nominations were made along race line.

It's a very subjective art form, there are always going to be strong opinions, the likes of Spike Lee and Jade Pinkett Smith are probably more bias than most.

The worst thing is next year when they inevitably over compensate, It will be said that such and such only got nominated because of there race.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    This has started to turn into an Oscars discussion rather than Unpopular Opinions, can we steer it back in the right direction please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

If we had an equal standard of living around the world, based on what most European/US have access to, the planet would be doomed in about 10 years. If every asian kid had their own laptop to charge, their own ipad to charge and had the means to buy meat and drive a car and holiday we'd be doomed. The energy demands would provoke a crisis, food prices would rocket, wars would start.

We dont have the capacity to produce energy, food and more critically share water resources as a planet to support a "middle class" world. Equality is only possible if our own living standards drastically reduce in terms of the energy required to support it (transport, electricity, production of endless electrodomestics etc) even then, the demand for fresh water which is a fundamental for a good standard of living is probably impossible to meet. We'd need to eat animal protein a few times a week rather than daily. (A good thing, to be fair).

Inequality, low wages and frankly human suffering are the base of the pyramid that props up our luxurious lifestyles.

Progress. Total sh1tshow for anyone not living in the top 10% of the world in terms of living standard.

the myth of continuous growth in a planet with finite resources is starting to crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

bnt wrote: »
    January 2017: Donald Trump is sworn in as President of the United States of America. (What, you think it could never happen?)
    That's a major flaw at the start of your theory. Yes, it could never happen. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭storker

I hate "The Fields of Athenry".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

storker wrote: »

That song was forever ruined for me by the movie "Veronica Guerrin", where they got a little kid to wail his way through it. And now it's stuck in my head. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The SF/IRA shíte that gets inserted into it is cringeworthy. Doesn't make any sense either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

You should know... yeah ?

Edit - anyway, isn;t this the unpopular opinions thread ??

I don't post this in the GoT thread ..

Are we not allowed to comment on stuff that people post?
    That song was forever ruined for me by the movie "Veronica Guerrin", where they got a little kid to wail his way through it. And now it's stuck in my head. :mad:

Always thought the child sounded like a dying leprechaun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Speaking of Veronica Guerin and unpopular opinions, she was a self serving selfish and naive idiot who went on the most futile of thrash tabloid exposé journalistic crusades which as we all know led to her eventual death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I dunno. I think fair play to her for exposing who she exposed, but at the same time, it was stupidly risky.
    I am not trying to start a gender war (honestly!) but would there be as much criticism of her if she were a man? She was criticised for taking such a risk when she had a child, which is a fair point in some ways, but I don't hear of Donal McIntyre being criticised for his line of work and he also has a young family.
    She was ridiculously stupid to call to your man Gilligan's house and be surprised at getting a thumping though. Obviously a scummy thing to do, but sometimes you just do not take risks when you know the likely outcome.
    I hate Game Of Thrones

Misogynistic drivel.
    There is a lot of sexual violence against women in it, but there is also a lot of non sexual violence against men in it. I guess it's simply reflecting how things would likely be in a medieval world for the powerless.

There should be complete equality but has anyone actually considered the possibility that the Academy actually voted for the performances they considered were the best and the fact they are all white is just a coincidence.
    Totally. Seems pure looking for offence where none is intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The next time I see an African American in a lead role I'm going to be wondering, did they get the role because they were the best for the role or was the director etc afraid of being branded racist cause they didn't give parts to enough minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

The Oscars debate isn't so much about one awards ceremony as it is about careers. The Oscars provide a platform for filmmakers to get recognition and funding to make the films that they want to make, but because black filmmakers don't get the same platforms or exposure as white filmmakers, opportunities and funding also go missing too. This ties in with films made by white people and starring all white people being treated as 'universally appealing' while films made by and starring black people are considered 'niche'. Same goes for films made by and starring women. These films are considered 'risky' because there's an assumption that audiences won't watch anything that strays from a certain narrative (generally white and male). The roles for black actors aren't there because the writers and directors who would create these roles aren't there. And the writers and directors aren't there because nobody wants to support them or the stories they want to tell because they don't think it's profitable. It's all about money.

But then, of course, if you take for example a filmmaker like Paul Thomas Anderson. He can make films that are inaccessible to mainstream audiences and turn in losses at the box office, and he'll still get funding for his next project. I can't imagine a black filmmaker being afforded the same luxury time and again. But then Paul Thomas Anderson makes films that are almost exclusively about white men. I wonder what would happen if he threw down a script that featured an all-black, all-female cast.

As for GoT, a director who worked on the show is on record as saying that he was told by HBO to include a certain level of titillating nudity even though he didn't think it was necessary. Brushing off every bit of nudity and what have you in GoT as just being part of the "medieval" vibe is silly since so much of the nudity is clearly just there for purely titillating purposes at the behest of HBO. There are countless scenes when main characters are speaking about Important Stuff in the foreground while some meaningless erotica (usually involving women) is happening in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

ken wrote: »
    The next time I see an African American in a lead role I'm going to be wondering, did they get the role because they were the best for the role or was the director etc afraid of being branded racist cause they didn't give parts to enough minorities.

+1

Id pay and watch Denzel washington play cinderella in any movie theater cos Id know id find it brilliant.
    Same cannot be said if it was will smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im not fan of feminism and certainly not ones who think they are 2nd class in all walks of life.

They complain about stupid silly things, but turn blind eye to serious issues as it contradicts their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

That Super Mario World is really lame compared to Super Mario Bros. 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Azalea wrote: »
    I dunno. I think fair play to her for exposing who she exposed, but at the same time, it was stupidly risky.
    I am not trying to start a gender war (honestly!) but would there be as much criticism of her if she were a man? She was criticised for taking such a risk when she had a child, which is a fair point in some ways, but I don't hear of Donal McIntyre being criticised for his line of work and he also has a young family.
    She was ridiculously stupid to call to your man Gilligan's house and be surprised at getting a thumping though. Obviously a scummy thing to do, but sometimes you just do not take risks when you know the likely outcome.

Because in general a mother is more important to a child than their father.Simple as that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,237 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Because in general a mother is more important to a child than their father.Simple as that really.

As far as unpopular opinions go, I personally think we have a winner!

Im not fan of feminism and certainly not ones who think they are 2nd class in all walks of life.

They complain about stupid silly things, but turn blind eye to serious issues as it contradicts their agenda.

I gave this a like, but you have to allow there there are various flavours of feminism. My wife considers herself a feminist, but she'll often say "...it's tough for men too, but in different ways...". She's not into the type of anti-man feminism that I believe you're referring to; the type that, instead of equality, just wants to make men second class citizens.

As a man, I'm all for equality, but if you're telling me that one gender has to have an "upper hand" then I'll opt for it being mine, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

As a man, I'm all for equality,

Same here. Equality is great - but equal does not mean the same - men and women are clearly different, different physically and mentally, different strengths, different weaknesses, different thought processes - just different.
    Some feminists insist this difference is imaginary and that any mention of it is oppressive - which is pure bolloxology.
    Vive la difference:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I gave this a like, but you have to allow there there are various flavours of feminism. My wife considers herself a feminist, but she'll often say "...it's tough for men too, but in different ways...". She's not into the type of anti-man feminism that I believe you're referring to; the type that, instead of equality, just wants to make men second class citizens.

As a man, I'm all for equality, but if you're telling me that one gender has to have an "upper hand" then I'll opt for it being mine, thanks very much.

I think the word "feminism" has been ruined. I would never describe myself as a feminist, in my mind it's linked with the extreme side of that movement and I don't share their view of the world.

We need a new word, equalism, something like that. Something I wouldn't be embarrassed to call myself.

Actually should be lot more clear.

I'm all for Equality, but many of them live in cuckoo land.

For example girl I know all Pro Refugee talk but then comes out and shows figures and reasons that are total bull ****. Complains about that Poster in Ucc(which I agree with BTW), but says nothing about rapes around Europe in countries like Sweden.

Basically complaining about smaller issues and not targeting the real issues and more serious ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Tom_Barry

Yep I'm all for equality but I cannot stand these absolutely rigid feminists that think if a man shows an interest it equates to almost being raped etc etc.. or how us women have a terrible life. Some people are just bitter.

Not an unpopular opinion.

Azalea wrote: »
    Not an unpopular opinion.

Well, to debunk that, had few comments quote me after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

ken wrote: »

It's actually to do with the screenplay more than the director usually. And that screenplay was likely picked up by a studio looking at financial returns. And the line of thinking for some decision makers was that black actors are not as marketable, especially internationally. But evidence used to back this up has been shoddy, seeming to cherry pick flops rather than take a broader view... it was a pretty big part of the Sony email hack. If I recall, they used Denzel Washington's film the Equalizer to claim black American lead actors do not do well internationally, but sure then why not use a Winter's Tale to show that Irish lead actors tend to flop quite spectacularly?

The lack of nominations isn't the problem in an of itself, and nobody really takes the Oscars that seriously anymore anyway, but it does point to an issue in the industry regarding under representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Bruce Springsteen is a load of middle-of-the-road b*****ks. His interminable shows would be bad enough even if you weren't by surrounded by tens of thousands of insufferable bell-ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

jooksavage wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen is a load of middle-of-the-road b*****ks. His interminable shows would be bad enough even if you weren't by surrounded by tens of thousands of insufferable bell-ends.

Stop going to see him in concert then

Anyone who needs a "safe space" for protection against hearing things they don't like isn't mature enough to be attending university.

• Advertisement

Well, to debunk that, had few comments quote me after.
    And none of them in disagreement with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement