Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Flyefit opens tomorrow. I've looked at the leaflet, their facebook page and website and I presume its not an oversight and there just isnt a steam room / sauna?

I will probably go down tomorrow so will see. The setup looks good and the new heated polar chamber (workout class in heated room wearing polar HRM) looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Iceland opens this morning. Think it's 9am.

I have to brave it after 10am and go down cos I won a prize from their Facebook page. Ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Italian restaurant Papa Razzi at front of Ongar village is back to being an Indian restaurant. Not mad on the new name....it's simply called Gr8. Could they not have come up with something more exotic or Indian sounding?? It does deliveries also.

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-gr8-indian-dublin/menu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

ongarboy wrote: »
    The Italian restaurant Papa Razzi at front of Ongar village is back to being an Indian restaurant. Not mad on the new name....it's simply called Gr8. Could they not have come up with something more exotic or Indian sounding?? It does deliveries also.

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-gr8-indian-dublin/menu/

I can picture an alternative to the Kellogs frosty tiger as their logo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Gr8ing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not much point calling it a long name when the name will change again in nanoseconds. I expect it to be called ' ' by Christmas

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not much point calling it a long name when the name will change again in nanoseconds. I expect it to be called ' ' by Christmas

Well it also reinforces the notion that only Asian restaurants seem do well in Ongar and D15 in general. That's the Italian as well as the short-lived Pizza Project at back of village in Ongar as well as the Italian restaurant in Clonsilla now all gone. But at least we have 25 Chinese takeaways within 5 minutes drive.....!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Well it also reinforces the notion that only Asian restaurants seem do well in Ongar and D15 in general. That's the Italian as well as the short-lived Pizza Project at back of village in Ongar as well as the Italian restaurant in Clonsilla now all gone. But at least we have 25 Chinese takeaways within 5 minutes drive.....!!

The Italian restaurant in Clonsilla served really nice food, had good service, but was completely lacking in atmosphere. The acoustics were shocking as the place was simply concrete walls with nothing to absorb noise.
    Had a few good nights there, but the lack of atmosphere just didn’t draw people back.
    It also missed out on a major trick of not doing coffee in the morning and never opening for lunch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    The Italian restaurant in Clonsilla served really nice food, had good service, but was completely lacking in atmosphere. The acoustics were shocking as the place was simply concrete walls with nothing to absorb noise.
    Had a few good nights there, but the lack of atmosphere just didn’t draw people back.
    It also missed out on a major trick of not doing coffee in the morning and never opening for lunch.

Ate there a couple of times and I agree, it was pretty soulless. Shame they didn't do more with it to keep it open, that's where we always got our pizzas delivered from. Nowhere else in the area that does particularly good pizzas, the place down beside SuperValu seems to be about the best of what's left. Although I haven't tried Base in Castleknock yet, and at €17 for a pepperoni pizza, I won't be trying it any time soon.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The choice of good eateries in Dublin 15 is very very poor. A plethora of fifth rate Chinese take aways that serve up water injected chicken and MSG laced gloop. No thanks...

The pizza place at SuperValu in Blanch village is good and easily the best pizza in D15 by a country mile. The Mandarin Castle in Castleknock is far and away the best Chinese in the area, Browne’s Steakhouse is a favourite the odd time for a treat, Captain America’s is also good fare and good value and Mao is also very good but given that D15 is now more populous than Limerick, the offerings are poor and really should be much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mao closed down a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭AlanG

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The choice of good eateries in Dublin 15 is very very poor. A plethora of fifth rate Chinese take aways that serve up water injected chicken and MSG laced gloop. No thanks...

Rudys, maximilians, anglers rest and Musashi are all really good and the Thai Garden has been a top class restaurant for 20 years. There is a lot of good options if you look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

AlanG wrote: »
    Rudys, maximilians, anglers rest and Musashi are all really good and the Thai Garden has been a top class restaurant for 20 years. There is a lot of good options if you look around.

Haven't tried Musashi yet, but will do now as the rest you have listed are all my favourite places locally :D

Forchetta down in the Crown Plaza is nice as its easy to get to, usually quiet and you only have to stroll outside to the lobby/bar for a drink after dinner. Haven't been to the Castleknock Hotel in a while but had always enjoyed it previously.

Is The Black Wolf any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

KGLady wrote: »
    Haven't tried Musashi yet, but will do now as the rest you have listed are all my favourite places locally :D

Forchetta down in the Crown Plaza is nice as its easy to get to, usually quiet and you only have to stroll outside to the lobby/bar for a drink after dinner. Haven't been to the Castleknock Hotel in a while but had always enjoyed it previously.

Is The Black Wolf any good?

Castleknock grub has gone sub par especially for the silly prices.
    Was nice about ten years ago.

The black wolf is fantastic. Not the cheapest bar food but very nice food and worth the price plus a great selection of beer and other booze.

Musahsi is very very nice. There’s a little sushi joint in Ongar as well called Taro. They do great Ramen as well. Highly recommend that place.

And for a decent not amazing but decent non greasy pizza The Oven in Clonee village isn’t a bad shout if hungover. The thin base. The normal is too much bread for my liking.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Vagya in roselawn is good too..great Nepalese and Indian food. Wish they were still in phibsborugh so I could have them deliver to where live now

Had Thai Garden for the first time a few weeks ago having spent 25 years in d15. Delicious.

Both have great and genuinely friendly service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Mushasi and Vagya are great. In D15 less than a year but my fav place is Falafel by a distance. Fantastic lunch time deal that will keep you going until the next day. Gone off Masala in the village though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Zaph wrote: »
    Mao closed down a couple of months ago.
    There’s a little sushi joint in Ongar as well called Taro. They do great Ramen as well. Highly recommend that place.

Ever since Mao closed started going to Taro in Ongar instead, nice food alright. Bit more expensive and they further increased their prices a couple of weeks ago which didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

JupiterKid wrote: »

On a related matter, I have yet to be reassured that any of the takeaways in Dublin 15 use Irish Chicken in their offerings. I always ask, and the answer tends to be 'I think so'. I'm never convinced, so usually order vegetarian dishes. Why is so hard to be transparent with the provenance of chicken. Most decent restaurants and takeaways are happy to advertise the fact in the menus that their beef is 100% Irish but the same standard does not apply for chicken options.

I'd willingly pay more too, as I only buy irish chicken from the supermarket. Anyway just a small issue that bugs me about takeaways generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

On a related matter, I have yet to be reassured that any of the takeaways in Dublin 15 use Irish Chicken in their offerings.

Not a hope.

They get them from the same food suppliers/asian markets and buy in bulk.

It's the very same for the local butchers that do the 8 - 10 chicken fillets for €10 deals. When you ask them where are they sourced, they always say the same - Holland.

They're probably packed there but you can take a guess as to the country they are farmed in.

Tried the new Iceland in Mountview today. Quite impressive and easy parking. Does a lot more than just frozen food and a lot of identical products much cheaper than Dunnes.

I also noticed the newsagents next door to Iceland has a sign saying Clonsilla post office opening there shortly! Much better location for parking!

• Advertisement

Tried the new Iceland in Mountview today. Quite impressive and easy parking. Does a lot more than just frozen food and a lot of identical products much cheaper than Dunnes.

I also noticed the newsagents next door to Iceland has a sign saying Clonsilla post office opening there shortly! Much better location for parking!

The drive in is a bit deceiving. I nearly ran over 3 or 4 of the bookie winos trying to turn the car on the pub side because they won’t let you in that way.

One thing I will say is that from the small sample of what I got (what I cooked today) was better value on the face of it looking at the box but the meat (boned/rolled turkey thing) especially was vastly inferior in quality from a similar item I got in Tesco last week. I’d happily pay the 3 euro more for the good one.
    Great value on tins of soft drinks though.

Yeah it's one way in from the eastern side by the Polish shop. You're only supposed to exit from Sammons pub side. There was a big entrance direction sign last week but wasn't there today so it can be confusing.

Yeah, I agree...I wouldn't buy all groceries like meats etc there but for dry goods, tins, confectionery, it's handy..even their fruit is cheaper than Dunnes

Yeah it's one way in from the eastern side by the Polish shop. You're only supposed to exit from Sammons pub side. There was a big entrance direction sign last week but wasn't there today so it can be confusing.

Yeah, I agree...I wouldn't buy all groceries like meats etc there but for dry goods, tins, confectionery, it's handy..even their fruit is cheaper than Dunnes

Yeah the likes of tins, etc is great and some nice choices like Branston beans and all. They’re brilliant for party food too. Definitely want to get that 60 piece chicken or 40 piece prawn selection when I’ve freezer room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Great to see Iceland open, especially for a few things, so much better than Cabra or Ballyfermot and waste of petrol/time unless passing as you wouldn't really get LOADS in it

Sadly its attracting the usual unwanted crowd after a week or two.
    In there one day and a fella acting weird and queuing behind us, thought was odd as other till had less and maybe he was trying to push us into letting him go.
    Next thing dumps his full bag and out he went, just before it another fella got a full bag of stuff taken off him by security, Iceland branded bags as well to try and blend in

Id say how open the entrance to the shop and outside it make it idea to do a runner out with stuff

Onto the car-park, if you stood there with a flashing no entry sign some people would drive over you, ah i didn't know, just waiting on a crash or near miss

Oh and odd not one wheelchair space (the mother not great on pins) or small trolleys

Also keep your eyes out for the yellow stickers, few times ive gotten some great deals, like two small chickens for less than two euro

One thing I didn’t like in there either was that the guy working the till called someone ahead of a woman that had all her stuff on the belt because he only had a few things. Never even asked her at all. Would not be a fan of taking that out of people’s own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

One thing I didn’t like in there either was that the guy working the till called someone ahead of a woman that had all her stuff on the belt because he only had a few things. Never even asked her at all. Would not be a fan of taking that out of people’s own hands.

If that was the first time shopping there I would have walked out and left it there on the belt. Disrespectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

jeffk wrote: »
    Great to see Iceland open, especially for a few things, so much better than Cabra or Ballyfermot and waste of petrol/time unless passing as you wouldn't really get LOADS in it

Sadly its attracting the usual unwanted crowd after a week or two.
    In there one day and a fella acting weird and queuing behind us, thought was odd as other till had less and maybe he was trying to push us into letting him go.
    Next thing dumps his full bag and out he went, just before it another fella got a full bag of stuff taken off him by security, Iceland branded bags as well to try and blend in

Id say how open the entrance to the shop and outside it make it idea to do a runner out with stuff

Onto the car-park, if you stood there with a flashing no entry sign some people would drive over you, ah i didn't know, just waiting on a crash or near miss

Oh and odd not one wheelchair space (the mother not great on pins) or small trolleys

Also keep your eyes out for the yellow stickers, few times ive gotten some great deals, like two small chickens for less than two euro

You would want to be really hard up to steal from Iceland and the fact they are selling chickens for less than a euro each is actually frightening and unethical - that an animal's life was worth less than a euro.

Never saw the appeal of the shop before and even less now, but obviously there is a market for it.

You would want to be really hard up to steal from Iceland and the fact they are selling chickens for less than a euro each is actually frightening and unethical - that an animal's life was worth less than a euro.

Never saw the appeal of the shop before and even less now, but obviously there is a market for it.

Was five something or so before the yellow sticker, they are tiny and im sure its better to pay that low than it going in the bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Its similar to Tesco yellow sticker tbh it's reduced to that price because its going out of date either that day or the day after.

• Advertisement

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Its similar to Tesco yellow sticker tbh it's reduced to that price because its going out of date either that day or the day after.

Handy to throw into freezer or for dinner that day/evening

A lot more of it in shops now, lidl have two different stickers

Advertisement