Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Businesses opening in Dublin 15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

jeffk wrote: »
    Handy to throw into freezer or for dinner that day/evening

A lot more of it in shops now, lidl have two different stickers

I shop in Irish supermarkets, where possible, and buy free-range, Irish chicken, but thanks for the explanation, I wasn't aware of the yellow stickers. Most of the meat in the German supermarkets is from outside Ireland and in some cases outside of the EU, where food and welfare standards are considerably lower.

In fairness though, I agree selling at a reduced cost is favourable than discarding the food entirely and I appreciate there is a market for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Most of the meat in the German supermarkets is from outside Ireland and in some cases outside of the EU, where food and welfare standards are considerably lower.

100% of Aldi’s fresh meat is Irish. The frozen stuff, you might be right but ‘most’ certainly isn’t correct.

100% of Aldi’s fresh meat is Irish. The frozen stuff, you might be right but ‘most’ certainly isn’t correct.

Supermarkets such as Lidl and Aldi tend to use Ireland to mean the ‘island of Ireland’ so bear that in mind. I am aware I am going off topic, and I apologise, but misleading advertising annoys me. Some of their processed meat, butter and other diary produce is stamped 'produced in Ireland'. A company can stamp the product with an 'Irish produce' label or a flag once there is any handling in Ireland. For example the company could buy the produce in any country, process it there and then import it, and once its packed in Ireland its effectively 'produced in Ireland'.

Again, no real issue, but supermarkets should be more transparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Supermarkets such as Lidl and Aldi tend to use Ireland to mean the ‘island of Ireland’ so bear that in mind. I am aware I am going off topic, and I apologise, but misleading advertising annoys me. Some of their processed meat, butter and other diary produce is stamped 'produced in Ireland'. A company can stamp the product with an 'Irish produce' label or a flag once there is any handling in Ireland. For example the company could buy the produce in any country, process it there and then import it, and once its packed in Ireland its effectively 'produced in Ireland'.

Again, no real issue, but supermarkets should be more transparent.

Still doesn't alter the fact that 100% of Aldi's (don't know about Lidl) fresh meat is Irish and not from 'outside the EU where standards aren't as high' as you originally claimed. And some of their processed meats have the 'Bord Bia Origin Ireland' stamp which can only be used when the meat is entirely Irish (and if it has the tricolour, it's 100% Republic of Ireland)

As for transparency, they also list their suppliers on their website.

Still doesn't alter the fact that 100% of Aldi's (don't know about Lidl) fresh meat is Irish and not from 'outside the EU where standards aren't as high' as you originally claimed. And some of their processed meats have the 'Bord Bia Origin Ireland' stamp which can only be used when the meat is entirely Irish (and if it has the tricolour, it's 100% Republic of Ireland)

As for transparency, they also list their suppliers on their website.

I never referred to fresh meat in my post but I can certainly see how that was deduced from my post. Point taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I never referred to fresh meat in my post but I can certainly see how that was deduced from my post. Point taken.

You said the following “ Most of the meat in the German supermarkets is from outside Ireland and in some cases outside of the EU, where food and welfare standards are considerably lower”.
    Which to my mind includes fresh meat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Back to business..
    There is a burger place opening up in Ongar beside the pub called Burger Store.
    Looks like it won't be open until the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Anyone have updates on the Restaurant unit at Lidl Castleknock?

Last I heard, ppl behind Union 8 pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

ongarite wrote: »
    Back to business..
    There is a burger place opening up in Ongar beside the pub called Burger Store.
    Looks like it won't be open until the new year.

Found a website, but nothing much on there yet...

https://burgerstore.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

quazzy wrote: »
    Found a website, but nothing much on there yet...

https://burgerstore.ie/

Lol, the website already calling themselves the finest burger in Dublin....a bit presumptious when it hasn't even opened yet?

Interesting that a burger place is opening there as I somehow thought the new cafe being built as part of the big yellow Ongar House redevelopment was going to be a chipper too. This new place will do well from the pub crowd after closing time. Hope they do decent traditional style chips!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

ongarboy wrote: »
    The Italian restaurant Papa Razzi at front of Ongar village is back to being an Indian restaurant. Not mad on the new name....it's simply called Gr8. Could they not have come up with something more exotic or Indian sounding?? It does deliveries also.

https://www.just-eat.ie/restaurants-gr8-indian-dublin/menu/

Has anybody eaten there/ordered from there yet? What's the grub like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I ate in Gr8 (the new Indian restaurant where Papa Razi used to be).

The starter were lovely (I went for the 3 sampler one), the curry was delicious and the wine was good and reasonably priced (unfortunately for my hangover the next day!)

I went with some friends and it was a nice, relaxed atmosphere, great for a chat and a catch up. I saw some families there as well.

I hope it gets some regular customers and some good trade.

Aldi's recruitment site lists their new Blanchardstown supermarket opening in July 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Not sure if D15 but it looks like the second Facebook data centre is under construction on the outskirts of clonee.

Very big site.

And there's a large construction happening across the road from malinkroft (the big block shaped building you can see in the distance from blanch center)

And the Renault truck showroom building is about half finished near nw business park.

And one the stemple park office buildings is nearing completion ... their site says two buildings but I can't see a second.

All on the outskirts, industrial areas, but still, lots of stuff popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Ger Conroy has just dropped his prices no doubt in response to the news of Flyefit opening

Ger conroy at junction 6 is virtually empty since flyefit opened, my membership is up soon and i won't be renewing it, mainly due to its closing time of 9pm which is too early and some female staff putting weights away at 8.10pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ra0044

And there's a large construction happening across the road from malinkroft (the big block shaped building you can see in the distance from blanch center)

That is the Amazon data centre being built. Lots of construction jobs but won't need many people when operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Justin's will be a care home. A neighbour whoes good friends with the family told my mother.....:p

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2020/01/09/news/graham-beings-9-3m-revamp-of-blanchardstown-centre-1809124/

Major revamp of existing Blanchardstown SC has started. I see some of the kiosks outside Boots have already been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2020/01/09/news/graham-beings-9-3m-revamp-of-blanchardstown-centre-1809124/

Major revamp of existing Blanchardstown SC has started. I see some of the kiosks outside Boots have already been removed.

Examples of the new interior have been placed around the centre at random. Outside Eir at the yellow entrance has a better example. They also need to do something about the yellow entrance considering flow of people in and out because of the buses. They need to remove that bloody trolley shed, its in the way causing the issues. Also those sail type structures currently left on the blue and yellow entrance. they are outdated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Have they been moved elsewhere, or just...gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Have they been moved elsewhere, or just...gone?
    Gone at least for now, I asked yesterday at the customer service desk if the smoothie place had been moved and I was told it hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Nolimits wrote: »
    Gone at least for now, I asked yesterday at the customer service desk if the smoothie place had been moved and I was told it hadn't.

Think the smoothie place is getting a revamp with sitting down. My daughter said to me the other day was on Instagram!
    (Facebook)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

cafe closed in debenams i see do not seem to work there a bit pricey maby plus so many others around .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

glossy wrote: »
    Think the smoothie place is getting a revamp with sitting down. My daughter said to me the other day was on Instagram!
    (Facebook)
    I'm not so sure - their social media feeds haven't had anything new for over 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

daymobrew wrote: »
    I'm not so sure - their social media feeds haven't had anything new for over 2 months.

Their Facebook page has a post saying it's a refurb.

https://www.facebook.com/132427400190172/posts/2225120080920883/

And it's actually quite active. Maybe you have the wrong page?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

LorelaiG wrote: »
    And it's actually quite active. Maybe you have the wrong page?
    You're right.
    I was totally wrong - I was thinking about Mooch, the frozen yogurt place on the opposite side of that block - it was the "moo" in "smoothie" that caused the glitch.
    Thanks for the link.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Tom Stanleys is gone from there (the kiosk outside Boots) and I didn't notice a new unit anywhere other than the one they've always had at the yellow mall. I'm surprised at that, it was always busy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

did the revamp not star months ago? lol

also, is JD sports not already in the Blanch?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There's a small JD Sports down near Marks & Spencer in the Red Mall but they are planning a much larger unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 alzo93

miamee wrote: »
    Tom Stanleys is gone from there (the kiosk outside Boots) and I didn't notice a new unit anywhere other than the one they've always had at the yellow mall. I'm surprised at that, it was always busy there.

Stanley’s kiosk is being moved closer to Penney’s as part of the shopping centres renovation plan, should be back eventually 😁

Advertisement