Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy radio show thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Tubs can't win with you lot. If he's off you're on here giving out that he's off and if he's on you're giving out about everything he says. It's kind of tragic really.

it's your money too

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

it's your money too

Yeah but unlike almost every other poster on here I actually enjoy the show. The attitude here is nicely summed up by the poster above who assumes that if anyone posts anything in defence of the show it just be Tubridy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yeah but unlike almost every other poster on here I actually enjoy the show. The attitude here is nicely summed up by the poster above who assumes that if anyone posts anything in defence of the show it just be Tubridy himself.

That's great, tell me what you like about it. I'm serious, and genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Fair play to you, great to have differing opinions...what is it about the show that you like?

The opening 15- 20 minute waffle segment where he promotes the upcoming late late or reviews the previous weeks?

Or maybe the 1 or 2 random songs he plays that a trained monkey could do?

Perhaps its the sob story segment that grabs your interest?

Maybe you enjoy the 5 or 6 ad breaks he takes?

Or do you enjoy him requesting free gifts to be sent in and plugging those that actually do?

Its all so difficult to choose....what a great variety of entertainment Tubridy provides at a measley €500,000 a year!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Mod - Ive snipped a post. Please, nobody to suggest any poster is the presenter or closely connected with him.

• Advertisement

That's great, tell me what you like about it. I'm serious, and genuinely curious.

Tell me this: why don't you listen to something else if you dislike it so much? I'm serious and genuinely curious.

I've never known a show to get so much listenership from people who actively dislike/hate it. It must really be annoying that you're contributing to his increasing JNLR figures (up 50k from last year).

Tell me this: why don't you listen to something else if you dislike it so much? I'm serious and genuinely curious.

I've never known a show to get so much listenership from people who actively dislike/hate it. It must really be annoying that you're contributing to his increasing JNLR figures (up 50k from last year).

You haven't answered my question..............why do you like it?

Your question has been answered any times on this thread and others if you'd care to read back.

As for the JNLR - the country was in lockdown, the vast majority of the workforce were at home - almost all figures went up. It's not because of some serious uplift in the quality of the presentation of the show FFS.

I wasn't and haven't ever been polled on JNLR, my listening didn't contribute in any way to it. Do you know how the JNLR works?

You haven't answered my question..............why do you like it?

Your question has been answered any times on this thread and others if you'd care to read back.

As for the JNLR - the country was in lockdown, the vast majority of the workforce were at home - almost all figures went up. It's not because of some serious uplift in the quality of the presentation of the show FFS.

I wasn't and haven't ever been polled on JNLR, my listening didn't contribute in any way to it. Do you know how the JNLR works?

You haven't answered mine either and while reading back through 675 pages of angry people being angry about radio does sound appealing of a Monday afternoon I think I'll give it a miss, thanks.

In a time when there are literally thousands of radio stations and podcasts available to you I just don't get why you and others on here keep listening. I can only think that it's because you find some comfort in being angry or annoyed.

You haven't answered mine either and while reading back through 675 pages of angry people being angry about radio does sound appealing of a Monday afternoon I think I'll give it a miss, thanks.

In a time when there are literally thousands of radio stations and podcasts available to you I just don't get why you and others on here keep listening. I can only think that it's because you find some comfort in being angry or annoyed.

With respect, I asked you first.

And as I have said I and others have answered yours many times previously. You won’t have to scroll back too far to find one such answer.

I would also love to know what you like about the show?

• Advertisement

My problem with the show is that it sits incongruously in the RTE Radio 1 programming.

In my opinion, Radio 1 isn't sure what it is supposed to be. What it is, is a mixed up mash up, bookended at the beginning of the day with what is certainly supposed to be RTE's flagship news and current affairs programme (although they had a good, long break over Christmas and the New Year, at a time of huge change - Brexit - and a pandemic surge), compared to the BBC R4 Today programme; but that's for another thread...) and at the other by Drivetime.

In between, it has a delicious, beautiful filling of speech, music, birthday requests, phone in, er - I'm not quite sure how to categorise Ray D'Arcy's eclectic show (cookery programme, dietary advice, exercise, the odd interview, a rambling story, consumer advice?)

As for this particular show, what irritates me is the sanctimony. I don't listen any more, except if a replacement is in. Callan suits me better, even though he follows the format, but the notion that he could be lost to the BBC is frankly a mystery to me. Most of the BBC radio presenters earn less that Ryan, and for a great deal better output, professionalism and audience figures (naturally enough) of 8+ million.

The best bit about the show, and the only bit I enjoy, is this thread!

John Creedon is the only reason for listening to Radio 1, imo

My problem with the show is that it sits incongruously in the RTE Radio 1 programming.

In my opinion, Radio 1 isn't sure what it is supposed to be.
    Has the BTYS 2021 competition even been mentioned yet on the Ryan Tubridy show? If the show was really as 'cool' as it wants to seem? Maybe a 2 minute mention will do on Friday so.

If this were so, what of it? Why would it bother you at all for that matter?

Please be constructive and tell us about the qualities of the show that appeal, we are here to discuss, not troll each other.

Well as you enjoy the show why don’t you contribute to the thread and post your musings on the mornings shenanigans

Well as you enjoy the show why don’t you contribute to the thread and post your musings on the mornings shenanigans

Exactly, this thread is FOR discussion of the show itself, not other posters. When Ryan appeals, I am genuinely interested to know, and how it brings meaning into people's kitchens, living rooms etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You have hit the nail on the head. They just want to have something to moan about imo. Plus it is the most transparent. cliquey, negative thread as it gets on boards.ie. The same posters making lists of freebies, the same posters using capitalised THAT. Or the 'in joke' - line 'so to speak'. Even the mod is at it. And they only listen to the show 'ironically' picking holes.

Anyone that has anything remotely positive to say about the show is discouraged by the clique. And yet the show has approximately 365k listeners which increased in 2019 (so covid not the reason).

It is a really daft thread. Plus the real ironic thing is many of these posters compare Tubridy to Alan Partridge. But this thread is very 'Partridge-esque' with posters giving constant negative digs, whinging and whining a la Alan. Like Alan they comment with a constant undercurrent of bitterness. Yet they stay listening 'ironically' to remain in the clique, so they can moan about it - rinse and repeat.

Even when it was not during the holidays, they had to invent things they could be giving out about!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Backseat modding here, one week ban for Gormdubhgorm.

Any more posts tolling other posters, backseat modding, etc will get you a ban. Stick to discussion show/presentation/RTE/what's on the radio. Any real opinion, and back it up. I thought I had made it all VERY CLEAR to posters here.

I have yet to see anybody tell us why they enjoy this show...

Its because there are no reasons...

There is absolutely nothing that Tubridy offers that no one else cant replicate as evidenced for the last few weeks.

Tubridys "winning" formula of self indulgent waffle, ad breaks, random music, ad breaks, sob story, ad breaks, freebies, plugs and preaching can all be done for ALOT cheaper if thats what you are into....

So please give us reasons why you like the show?

I have yet to see anybody tell us why they enjoy this show...

Its because there are no reasons...

There is absolutely nothing that Tubridy offers that no one else cant replicate as evidenced for the last few weeks.

Tubridys "winning" formula of self indulgent waffle, ad breaks, random music, ad breaks, sob story, ad breaks, freebies, plugs and preaching can all be done for ALOT cheaper if thats what you are into....

So please give us reasons why you like the show?

To be honest they would all have ad breaks, no matter who the presenter. It's the content between. RTÉ have become increasingly fond of sob stories in recent years because they tend to come free, with non-costly guests willingly sharing and in doing so *sometimes* bringing an important awareness.

Decades ago when I did organ donation awareness on the media I found it challenging at times to get the stuff aired as I would be told "listeners don't want to hear too many sad stories", even when I would point out it was a story of hope rather than just sadness. I was told some of the time, that people don't want to go there, they want to be entertained and not reminded all the time of life's difficulties.

Actually listening to Farcy last afternoon the show's focus on soup at least served me the purpose of reminding myself to look up some soup recipes and put the Lidl soup maker back into use. Not sure if virtual walks down Dún Laoghaire's west pier necessarily inspire me into anything. But neither the soup nor the pier walk, to me, are worth the multiples of 100K in any case.

You have hit the nail on the head. They just want to have something to moan about imo. Plus it is the most transparent. cliquey, negative thread as it gets on boards.ie. The same posters making lists of freebies, the same posters using capitalised THAT. Or the 'in joke' - line 'so to speak'. Even the mod is at it. And they only listen to the show 'ironically' picking holes.

Anyone that has anything remotely positive to say about the show is discouraged by the clique. And yet the show has approximately 365k listeners which increased in 2019 (so covid not the reason).

It is a really daft thread. Plus the real ironic thing is many of these posters compare Tubridy to Alan Partridge. But this thread is very 'Partridge-esque' with posters giving constant negative digs, whinging and whining a la Alan. Like Alan they comment with a constant undercurrent of bitterness. Yet they stay listening 'ironically' to remain in the clique, so they can moan about it - rinse and repeat.

Even when it was not during the holidays, they had to invent things they could be giving out about!

School off for another month eh? :)

• Advertisement

Oliver Callan on. He stated the purpose of the show, to amuse us a bit in the morning. He certainly doesn't give me the feeling he's trying to lecture us in any way, which I find refreshing. I like the way he takes advantage of his gift of mimicry to good effect for the show which helps keep it truly light. Handles the slot in its format particularly well, I think because he's able to laugh at himself momentarily when he might stumble over something. Feels natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This is shocking stuff altogether.it sounds like the ramblings of a confused drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,131 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Oliver Callan on. He stated the purpose of the show, to amuse us a bit in the morning. He certainly doesn't give me the feeling he's trying to lecture us in any way, which I find refreshing. I like the way he takes advantage of his gift of mimicry to good effect for the show which helps keep it truly light.

Few little ‘shills’ for the Shinners Cat, if you were listening close enough.

It was there.... you just had to get the nuance.

This is shocking stuff altogether.it sounds like the ramblings of a confused drunk

I'm wondering about how it's out together/part-scripted and who is doing that part, who set up the format etc.

The kindness song:eek::D

I'm wondering about how it's out together/part-scripted and who is doing that part, who set up the format etc.
    Room 2 in the crèche would put together a better offering

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Callan is a far better fit for this hour long slot than Tubbs.

He is better than tubridy

Room 2 in the crèche would put together a better offering

It's obviously somebody's baby, and must appeal somewhere. Would be very genuinely interested to know the demographic; folk in 30s/40s/50s/60s etc, people doing practical jobs whilst listening, people driving etc?

I can take this fluff as long as I don't feel I'm being given a sermon. It's the latter that irritates me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

He is better than tubridy

But so is my Yorkshire terrier.

His name is Pickle, by the way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement