Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia 3 Confirmed

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is on sale on psn, ending tonight. Deluxe edition 30 euro. I traded this game very early on because of the repetitiveness but I read that the DLC really breaks that open and makes it a great game. Anyone recommend it after all this time?

I read a suggested playthrough:
    I'd suggest this order after you have your first Sitdown...

Enjoy some Racing and Car Customization
    Take over Downtown
    DLC3 "Sign of the Times"
    *unlocks some cars, weapons, and costumes
    Start rebuilding Sammy's Club
    Take over Barclay Mills
    Take over Tickfaw Harbor (involves items coming from Cuba)
    DLC 2 "Stones Unturned" (go to an island near Cuba)
    Try the Bounty Hunter activity
    Take over Frisco Fields
    DLC 1 "Faster Baby" (after Remy's story arc in Frisco Fields)
    Start your Grow House activity
    Take over Southdowns
    Take over French Ward (dealing with loveable Lou… the tipping point for Sal)
    Finish the rest of the main story

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Yep, I bought that deal on Xbox. I didn't finish the game originally before I sold it but I was near the end. The DLC is brilliant. I haven't played through it all but the new cars, costumes and first couple of cult missions are amazing.

Basically, I've done all the Kickback missions, the missions that earn your underbosses loyalty or whatever you would call it. So with the 3 DLC packs installed, I basically just have these nice set-piece story missions.

On another note, I finally finished the main story of the game last night. So satisfying! I really enjoyed the cutscenes and the dialogue between Sal and Lincoln. I think it's a flawed but solid game. I think it's a huge improvement over Mafia II. Mafia II was short, unfinished/rushed and there wasn't anything to do outside the story. It was polished, had nicer graphics and cool little details but it lacked the free-roam game-play to warrant any quality time out of it. Just got through the chapters, finish the story and that's it.

With all the interiors in Mafia III, the brutal takedowns, the driving, the soundtrack, the cutscenes and writing if Hangar 13 have another go Mafia IV will hopefully be the landmark game, not just in the series. Mafia III is flawed in many places but the ambition and hunger for something great is there. I think Mafia III is more like GTA back in the III era. It's almost more GTA than GTA is now with regards to it being a period piece and setting it in a city that's largely not been touched by video games in it's genre. GTA for me is getting too generic, setting in the same cities all the time and then Online focus.

Mafia series gives me hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Personally preferred 1 and 2s approach to main story with a small about of filler, Mafia 3 had way too much filler and ended up dragging the game out

Back again with the deluxe edition on sale for 30 and I'm on the fence about getting it....again :)

Might try the demo to give myself a reminder about the game before making a decision. I'd much prefer a physical copy so I can trade it but can only seem to get the deluxe edition for 60, digital on psn is 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Back again with the deluxe edition on sale for 30 and I'm on the fence about getting it....again :)

Did you never play this game. It has decent mission thrown in there but a fair bit of filler about 30 hours of gameplay to complete the game. It is more stealth based than previous Mafia games. I started Watch dogs(the first one) and I miss the stealth approach of this game as I found it much easier than watch dogs. In this game you kill each person as you go along with your knife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Also looking at the deluxe edition, are the DLCs worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Might try the demo to give myself a reminder about the game before making a decision. I'd much prefer a physical copy so I can trade it but can only seem to get the deluxe edition for 60, digital on psn is 30.

30 quid will get you much better games than this. The main missions and story are good but holy christ does the game force you to go through an insane amount of identical filler side quests to get there. The graphics are pretty sub par, the driving is woeful and overall its just not fun to play.

This game is so bad it makes Watchdogs 1 seem like GTA5 and just to put that into perspective, I didn't even bother logging into Uplay for a free copy of Watchdogs 1 the other week :cool:

Did you never play this game. .

Yeah I got it at launch but traded it after a few hours. Go to building, clear it, come back, go straight back to same building, clear it, come back. Mission designer should have been sacked. I hear if you play the DLC missions in between, it breaks up the monotony and you get a good game but still, I don't have time for repetitive filler. I think I just really want to get it because of my love for the franchise. Some people say the deluxe is totally worth it while others, like above, day to totally avoid.

Deluxe edition on sale again, this time for 25 quid on psn, going back to 60 tomorrow. Pulled the trigger and not regretting it. Actually have a great laugh with it. The story is really good, especially since meeting up with Vito. When it comes to the district's, I only need to do a few before getting the local boss out but they are all quick missions. I got some lovely fast cars and a silenced pistol with deluxe edition which makes the once Grundy missions a breeze, especially with the slow mo shooting. They aren't getting in the way the same as when I last played it.

Overall, the game just plays a lot better from what I remember and finding it a breeze to dip in and out of. Following the Dev guide of mixing in the DLC with the main story as well. Happy with my purchase.

The car customisation in class as well!

It's decent once you don't bother with any additional filler as it can get grating.
    Plays and looks really well on the One X too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

There are some great tunes in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭brady12

Played 1 for first time a few months ago and although it had aged I loved it . Started 3 today few hours in love the story ,setting , main character & the music . The city and graphics and very meh.

Advertisement