Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia 3 Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Doom actually turned out to be a great game and that was review embargoed until release. Not my kind of game but it was well received by reviewers and gamers turning out better than most people hoped.

I'm not saying all embargoed games aren't good, obviously there are good ones, but it's still a worrying sign and it has been a trend that embargoed games are poor/buggy upon release.

When you think of acclaimed games of the last few years - TLOU, Uncharted 4, Dragon Age Inquisition, Witcher 3, GTA V etc. They all released their reviews up to a week early because they knew the games were going to get good reviews.

Any publisher who waits until after a game is released to let reviews come out clearly has big reservations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,944 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doom actually turned out to be a great game and that was review embargoed until release. Not my kind of game but it was well received by reviewers and gamers turning out better than most people hoped.

I think that's more a Bethesda policy now across all their releases rather than holding back the game like what was obviously done here.... although I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong and Bethesda management didn't 'get' the game and had no faith in it since it was so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

I'm actually really enjoying this game.
    Ill trade it in for sure once i complete it and probably get tomb raider, but im glad i got it. I've had zero glitches/issues
    Story is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Doom is the exception to the rule as is Shadows of Mordor, which was screwed over by an overzealous marketing campaign rather than trying to hide a bad game. It's when you try to name a few other games that were great yet had review embargoes is when things get hard.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Decent Story, boring game-play
    Predictable really
    They didn't really go into any technical issues either to save it's blushes

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/10/11/mafia-3-review

No way is this game a 7.5/10. Dodgy graphics, awful performance with the most basic and boring gameplay this style of game has to offer, shows it is at best a 5-6/10 game and that's just for the voice work, music and main story. But seeing its IGN I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Well it's disappointing to see but what can you do.
    I'll get it out of a bargain bin or in a sale in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

The multiplayer was pants by all accounts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,944 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The beta and initial multiplayer was pants but ID turned that around after taking control of it.

Anyway who cares about multiplayer when the single player is sublime!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Single player is all that matters really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Finished it.

Great story, few good characters but repetitive missions dont help. If the the filler was removed that would be a very good game albeit much much shorter.

Steam says 30 hours and I only did 1 optional mission for each underboss.

Tip watch after the credits for Donovans end scene, its brilliant.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Finished it.

Great story, few good characters but repetitive missions dont help. If the the filler was removed that would be a very good game albeit much much shorter.

I'm about 60% done and agree the end missions in each area are decent like when you get to
    throw the accountant out the window
    or at the quarry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Finished it.

So if you don't do those racket mission you know where have too sabotage x or take y, it doesn't really matter?

So if you don't do those racket mission you know where have too sabotage x or take y, it doesn't really matter?

Oh no the rackets have to be done to lure out the bosses , the ones that are optional are the ones that increase your own underboss loyalty and they are bloody boring, and usually involve driving all the way across the map and back :mad:

Oh no the rackets have to be done to lure out the bosses , the ones that are optional are the ones that increase your own underboss loyalty and they are bloody boring, and usually involve driving all the way across the map and back :mad:

Ahhh crap :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

The Ai is unforgivable. Why even have the option to move bodies when nobody cares about dead bodies everywhere.

The game is playable for the mosy part. But definitely was not a finished product. Moving on.

Recorded these last night,

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Calex%20dEUS/video/22332131 Ignore my terrible driving I was distracted for a few seconds, but towards the end of this I was getting arc eye ffs :mad:

There are other situations too were streetlights are on but casting no light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Looks fine to me...

giphy.gif

Amazing how they didn't cry to get Sons of Anarchy taken of netflix :p
    but the big, bad video games grrr

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/outcry-over-xbox-playstation-mafia-iii-game-ira-mission-level-35124803.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Recorded these last night,

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Calex%20dEUS/video/22332131 Ignore my terrible driving I was distracted for a few seconds, but towards the end of this I was getting arc eye ffs :mad:

There are other situations too were streetlights are on but casting no light.

gotten that a few times too, ye'd think he'd have a pair of sunglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

@Mick: Wow, people getting offended by fictionalized stories again. *sigh* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

@Mick: Wow, people getting offended by fictionalized stories again. *sigh* :P

They are probably still the most positive stories about the game post launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

ERG89 wrote: »
    They are probably still the most positive stories about the game post launch.

I hear ya. I might be in the minority in thinking the game is loads of fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Ive enjoyed it so far (approx 7 hours in) but i can see it becoming a repetitive pain in the hoop..

Saying that,i do want to see what happens in the story as the characters and dialogue are so well written..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Angry Joe review nails it on the head.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Angry Joe review nails it on the head.

Yeah it's spot on , can't argue with any of that.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Amazing how they didn't cry to get Sons of Anarchy taken of netflix :p
    but the big, bad video games grrr

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/outcry-over-xbox-playstation-mafia-iii-game-ira-mission-level-35124803.html

If they'd actually played the game they would have found out he
    wasn't really selling the parts to the IRA , he was selling them to a guy on the east coast to help his daughter get out of crime before he died of liver cancer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Tried to like it. It ticks a lot of boxes but it looks too terrible. Some have said PS3-like - i think that is insulting to the PS3. The light veering all over the place at night. Daytime just becoming night time etc. All very amateurish.

Had to turn it off. Way too many good games out there. 2k will need to up its game in fairness.

Finished the story earlier, game was nearly worth it for that post credits scene with BIG SPOILER
    Donovan shooting the Senator
    hope that guy does more video game work, he was remarkable.

On the negative what the hell were they thinking with the music on the drive to the final showdown
    modern covers of 3 of the songs
    :mad:

Over all if the game had not been so repetitive and had more missions like the final ones in each district this could have been something far better than it was. I'd love to hear from the devs on this but it's unlikely I suspect corners were cut due to pressue from 2k to get the game out, I've no basis in fact for thinking that but having played through it that thought constantly occurred to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Over all if the game had not been so repetitive and had more missions like the final ones in each district this could have been something far better than it was. I'd love to hear from the devs on this but it's unlikely I suspect corners were cut due to pressue from 2k to get the game out, I've no basis in fact for thinking that but having played through it that thought constantly occurred to me.

I think the opposite I think it was made in the mould of Mafia with only the main missions and the repetitveness added in to increase length.

That said in time I will recall Mafia 3 as a decent entry in the series by simply forgetting the bad parts and remember it was a game with a decent story much like the 1st 2.

Donovan tho :D Sounds so much like Archer I had to check IMDB its not him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

New patch (PS4) has definitely made a difference with the visuals anyway.

Edit : Ok....still a bit messed up. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

New patch (PS4) has definitely made a difference with the visuals anyway.

Edit : Ok....still a bit messed up. :(

This released today ?

Advertisement