Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia 3 Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Dunno what saints row is like but its nothing like gta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Dunno what saints row is like but its nothing like gta

Watching someone stream it now and it doesn't look the best, the braking seems way too hard as well.

Driving physics were the main reason I disliked GTA IV and Watch Dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    I can't even remember what Mafia II's diving is like it's been so long. Would it be more of GTA V style driving or more like Saints Row? Or nothing like those two?.

closer to GTA than SR, and like i said already - massive step up in the driving from mafia 2. Some older cars drive like you've got 4 flats and you're on a hot rubber road, and then some of the newer cars, especially muscle cars have great acceleration, and handling - there are afew VW Beetle lookalikes that are pretty nifty for handling once you get it rolling with it's crap acceleration.

Mafia 2, pretty much all the cars felt sluggish and heavy, because they were supposed to - in Mafia 3, it's the late 60's and there are some fantastic cars on the roads, that's reflected in game just as accurately as before.

Damage to cars still happens but they are built to take a beating, so it's not like GTA where if ye have a single headon collision you probably need a new car.

Dodging other cars is lot easier - you can graze pass cars without losing a lot of speed or going out of control, which makes the cars feel weighty. The handbrake doesnt take 5 minutes to stop ye.

ordinary braking works well if you're obeying the law, they'll squeal and hiss, even more when you're cornering without braking in a heavy motor.

Collisions hurt the person driving ie: you and whoever ye hit.

Speeding will draw the cops attention.

Being a black guy in a car will also draw the cops attention it seems. (even if it's not stolen)

You can call for a car to be delivered directly to you (after ye do a specific mission early in game) no matter where you are.

Basically, if yer riving something that looks heavy, it'll be sluggish and poxy to drive. If ye rob a sports car, it'll be zippy and hard to handle, if ye rob something in between you get what you get. Some cars are better than others for whatever it is you're doing.

It's miles better than Mafia II in pretty much every respect, and i've even been playing Mafia II in the last few days in anticipation of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The driving is realistic to the car you are driving. Not every game with driving has to be based on racing.

Anyone else just sat in there cos a deadly song came on? The soundtrack of this game is cracking.

The G910 when the police chase you :D

https://twitter.com/kdjacl/status/784464794468442113

2 Johnny Cash songs in a row :) deadly! Cant go wrong with the man in black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,570 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I highly recommend using Simulation driving, feels class, real weight to the cars, handbrakes much better and driving at speed is as dangerous as it should be. Cars are slow to accelerate but it feels justified because of the weight of the cars back then. Really like how it has a distinct Mafia feel to it with the movement, driving and music. Really looking forward to get stuck in proper later on.

Holy **** balls.

I knew it or something like it was coming but damn.

It cannot be understated how good the soundtrack and use of music in this game (mafia 2 also).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

2K games are great for the music, everything for WWE2K to the NBA2K series has class music.....deffo gonna pick this up when the FPS cap gets sorted.

Did what everyone mostly likely did at the start and my partner says
    He'll be sh1ttin' that guy out for a week
    :D

EDIT: Oh yeah the visuals when it's dark and driving in mist/fog? Just finished dealing with some Haitians and the visuals driving back were like something from the start of last gen. Enjoying the game but that stuff is inexcusable. It's like they spent all their time on pre rendered scenes and didn't polish the core game, blurring on characters face in real time is annoying as hell too.

if you're going through a tunnel it messes static up on the radio stations :D

• Advertisement

EDIT: Oh yeah the visuals when it's dark and driving in mist/fog? Just finished dealing with some Haitians and the visuals driving back were like something from the start of last gen. Enjoying the game but that stuff is inexcusable. It's like they spent all their time on pre rendered scenes and didn't polish the core game, blurring on characters face in real time is annoying as hell too.

PC Graphics are awful, i was thinking I had a setting wrong and checked.

Everything as High as it can go and its awful.

I said earlier to someone maybe we havent been wowed in a while.

Still tho cracking game, I can see why they added in all the extra erroneous map marker crap, but its not for me in this series of game.

The graphics are a bit **** (ps4), especially night time driving, looks like a ps3 game game sometimes. The AI is awful as well. Stealth takedown from cover where you pop out and do a crazy move goes unnoticed from a guy 15 feet from you looking in your direction.

They are the only downsides for me so far.

Graphics during the day are much nicer, driving (simulation) is a great laugh. Combat feels satisfying and guns feel heavy. The cutscene graphics and facial animations are incredible. Completely absorbed into the story and it's characters.

Such a good touch adding in Vito. Also, was very weird having 40 fwends online last night and i was the only one playing Mafia.

Got to play a bit more earlier, yeah this looks terrible even during the day the haze/cloud on the horizon is terrible but the lighting is really annoying when driving mostly the effect of sun through shifting clouds about is very distracting and doesn't look good at all. I'd actually love to to see them patch that out it's not necessary imo. Might free up things to improve other areas visually.

Are 2k able to repair these issues with graphics etc through updates or is it too late ?

Are 2k able to repair these issues with graphics etc through updates or is it too late ?

They've promised a patch for the framerate lock on pc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya......The graphics are shocking.....but the game itself is awesome.

They've promised a patch for the framerate lock on pc

Is it possible on ps or xbox ?

I smell a dud
    No reviews yet which was alarming to begin with

Is it possible on ps or xbox ?

no idea at all

The game is really good but patching the frame rates won't fix the bigger problems with the visuals, it really does look like it needed 2 or 3 months more to be polished.

I didn't really watch many of the game play videos pre-release how do they compare to the final product ? Are we talking watch dogs levels of difference or were they closer to the final thing ?

What engine are they using for this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The game is really good but patching the frame rates won't fix the bigger problems with the visuals, it really does look like it needed 2 or 3 months more to be polished.

I didn't really watch many of the game play videos pre-release how do they compare to the final product ? Are we talking watch dogs levels of difference or were they closer to the final thing ?

What engine are they using for this ?

A two cylinder engine from a Trabant.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was kind of happy to let this one sit and wait until it showed up on EA Access already but it does seem to be a bit of a mess from what I'm hearing.

Was kind of happy to let this one sit and wait until it showed up on EA Access already but it does seem to be a bit of a mess from what I'm hearing.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Huh. Weird. For some reason I've had it in my head that it's an EA game.

Was even thinking that it was strange that it would be running so poorly given the way they've improved the Frostbite engine.

Huh. Weird. For some reason I've had it in my head that it's an EA game.

Was even thinking that it was strange that it would be running so poorly given the way they've improved the Frostbite engine.

Maybe you were thinking of the Godfather games? They were done by EA.

Anyone else keep pressing Y to get in the car and end up climbing it ? :D

Just had a look at the physical map that comes with the game and there are scribbles on it like someone had it before me but then realised it's Link's scribbles...I hope. Some very handy info anyway about hideouts and points of interest.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Just had a look at the physical map that comes with the game and there are scribbles on it like someone had it before me but then realised it's Link's scribbles...I hope. Some very handy info anyway about hideouts and points of interest.

Forgot there was a map in the box :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I smell a dud
    No reviews yet which was alarming to begin with

Well most reviews copies weren't available until the official launch, but hate these vids making the rounds. Went with pre ordering Tomb Raider instead of this mind.

• Advertisement

The story is the only thing that will make this game worth playing, but the rest ? Piss poor imo

Advertisement