Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia 3 Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Venom wrote:
    That vid is just pandering for views as the previous video on the game he and Other Joe were having a blast with the open world stuff for 3 hours yet now its awful?

Saw that also. His issue now is that whilst he enjoyed the missions he did in his early access video he wasn't expecting the full game to basically be the exact same mission times 50. That's the most disappointing thing. I don't really care about graphics but the missions being so repetitive is a killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Mafia 2 was such a great game, will give this a go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That vid makes want to play Mafia 1 and 2 again :(

Lincoln sums up my emotions playing this.

m3laughshqvste.gif

Mafia 2 was such a great game, will give this a go tonight.

This is a bad PC port, the graphics are clearly upscaled from 720p. Game is a blurfest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So what's it like for consoles then ?

So what's it like for consoles then ?

I captured this earlier on Xbox and this is not even close to how bad it can look

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Calex%20dEUS/video/22247861

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This is a bad PC port, the graphics are clearly upscaled from 720p. Game is a blurfest

It's not just world textures sadly as some of the non plot important characters faces, look really basic and almost unfinished due to their lack of detail.

The AI that handles driving is awful in how they just stop for ages instead of turning a corner or stop in the middle of a junction and at one stage I ran into an 20 car traffic jam taking up both sides of the street. Pedestrians will wander out on the road and have no reaction to your car unless you hit them at lethal speeds unlike every other game of this type where they freak out if you come anywhere close to them with a car.

What pisses me off the most, is if when you carjack or steal a parked vehicle, 99% of the time you have an NPC running to a phone to call the cops which along with the repetitive mission structure really make the game a drag to play at time :mad:

Venom wrote: »
    It's not just world textures sadly as some of the non plot important characters faces, look really basic and almost unfinished due to their lack of detail.

The AI that handles driving is awful in how they just stop for ages instead of turning a corner or stop in the middle of a junction and at one stage I ran into an 20 car traffic jam taking up both sides of the street. Pedestrians will wander out on the road and have no reaction to your car unless you hit them at lethal speeds unlike every other game of this type where they freak out if you come anywhere close to them with a car.

What pisses me off the most, is if when you carjack or steal a parked vehicle, 99% of the time you have an NPC running to a phone to call the cops which along with the repetitive mission structure really make the game a drag to play at time :mad:

Played it for an hour and uninstalled. There was a tonne of graphical glitching also. Can't get over how blurry the whole thing is, steam refunds ftw. :) I loved how much soul Mafia 2 had, slightly underrated gem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

That vid actually made me appreciate how good Mafia 2 was. I remember being a bit let down by it at the time because I was such a fan of the original but 2 had enough smaller feature like seen in that video that it wasn't just another GTA clone.

Mafia 3 just doesn't seem to have any of that going for it from the reviews and videos I've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Tis a shame. I nearly picked this up in Tesco yesterday, glad I didn't. Think I'll get Tomb Raider instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That vid actually made me appreciate how good Mafia 2 was. I remember being a bit let down by it at the time because I was such a fan of the original but 2 had enough smaller feature like seen in that video that it wasn't just another GTA clone.

Mafia 3 just doesn't seem to have any of that going for it from the reviews and videos I've seen so far.

There is a lot of speculation this was a 360/PS3 project that got lost in development hell and then rebooted into a PC/PS4/XB1 title to salvage development costs. For a start the game is not optimized at all

mvgta_zpspdyupegm.jpg

The graphics are not near good enough for a 2016 title, are far to close to Mafia 2 and there are reports from people who have dug through the game files, that there is a lot of 720p up-scaling going on.

The story/plot is great but it feels like there are story missions missing and there should be more of a build up (mission wise) to taking out a boss. The repetitive income reduction missions feel more like side missions than story missions to me. There is also zero customization options for the main character which again feel like a major oversite for a 2016 open world game.

This games setting done by Rockstar would be an epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That Mafia 2 comparison shows a game that looks even worse than the previous title. Mafia 2 might not have been great but the attention to detail they put in is excellent and way ahead of what eve the hell Mafia 3 is trying to do. That mirror effect is just... what?

All games are in some way repetitive.
    Is that repetition actually fun however?
    This is apparently boring as hell and grates the further you get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Venom wrote: »
    There is a lot of speculation this was a 360/PS3 project that got lost in development hell and then rebooted into a PC/PS4/XB1 title to salvage development costs. For a start the game is not optimized at all

mvgta_zpspdyupegm.jpg

The graphics are not near good enough for a 2016 title, are far to close to Mafia 2 and there are reports from people who have dug through the game files, that there is a lot of 720p up-scaling going on.

The story/plot is great but it feels like there are story missions missing and there should be more of a build up (mission wise) to taking out a boss. The repetitive income reduction missions feel more like side missions than story missions to me. There is also zero customization options for the main character which again feel like a major oversite for a 2016 open world game.

This games setting done by Rockstar would be an epic.

I would well believe this to be honest, this is right up 2K's street. Imagine shelling out for a GTX1080 and not getting 60 FPS @ 1900x1080 res ffs!

I was very bored playing this last night. That on top of just how bad it looks, the strong story just isn't enough to keep me going. Driving around, i just kept thinking how bad it looked and felt like a game that was trying to compete with GTA 4 or Saints Row 2 and those games played much better than this which is shyte for a AAA game in 2016. It looks like all you can spend money on is gins and cars yet i have the preorder guns and cars that i very for free and are much better than the stock alternatives. I very it's a revenge plot but this needed more of a building an empire feel.

So much potential missed. Gonna trade it in and get Tomb Raider. 2K, I am dissapoint, as the kids would say.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I was very bored playing this last night. That on top of just how bad it looks, the strong story just isn't enough to keep me going. Driving around, i just kept thinking how bad it looked and felt like a game that was trying to compete with GTA 4 or Saints Row 2 and those games played much better than this which is shyte for a AAA game in 2016. It looks like all you can spend money on is gins and cars yet i have the preorder guns and cars that i very for free and are much better than the stock alternatives. I very it's a revenge plot but this needed more of a building an empire feel.

So much potential missed. Gonna trade it in and get Tomb Raider. 2K, I am dissapoint, as the kids would say.

Your suffering will not go in vain
    You have saved many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Did the same, CEX offering 45 quid which wasnt bad.

Gamestop offerring 46 towards tomb raider which they're selling for 55 but there seems be a delay with the game, might be released next week instead.

So long Mafia, traded it in and paid 9 euro for tomb raider (due in wednesday) so wasn't a huge loss. Will look up the story online as i want to know what happens with Vito. It's not a **** game, it's just...disappointing.

Market still open for a crime sage top build and customise an empire in a sandbox world.

Edit: WTF is a crime sage top build? Stupid phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

thank god I didn't buy it.

nobody should ever pre-order a game that's review embargoed until release. it's not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

yea I cant get into this mission design either its so repetitive and dull
    the first 4hours was great when it played like a single player game telling a narrative once the open world was fully open its turned to ****e.

think Ill trade this in be done with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

My first concern was when i saw one thousand and one knifings in a 20 minute video,

My first concern was when i saw one thousand and one knifings in a 20 minute video,

Those all stem from the games stealth / take down mechanic, which bizarrely can be disabled in the games options instead of having the choice between lethal/non on the fly like in almost any other game with that mechanic here you have to turn on lethal takes downs :confused:

Wow the game does have some decent missions after all or one at least at the
    quarry after meeting Enzo and you get abused and you have to fight your way out all to the sounds of Johnny Cash

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pretty sure I have 2 missions left, the Union area was a pain in the hole.

Pros:

Excellent Story with some good characters.
    Missions going tits up and having to find a new way out is good.

Cons
    Repetitive missions feel like padding, there no real need for it if they kept it simpler as the story missions do change.
    Few glitches and there is no Train or motorbikes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Cina wrote: »
    nobody should ever pre-order a game that's review embargoed until release. it's not a good sign.
    ftfy

Decent Story, boring game-play
    Predictable really
    They didn't really go into any technical issues either to save it's blushes

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/10/11/mafia-3-review

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Cina wrote: »

Doom actually turned out to be a great game and that was review embargoed until release. Not my kind of game but it was well received by reviewers and gamers turning out better than most people hoped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Doom actually turned out to be a great game and that was review embargoed until release. Not my kind of game but it was well received by reviewers and gamers turning out better than most people hoped.

1 great game does not provide enough evidence to consider preordering games that have a review embargo until launch.

A review embargo should always send up a red flag.

Advertisement