Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID Mobile - Closing down April 6th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

FrostyJim wrote: »
    They start charging people out of bundle data rates at 20000MB instead of 20480MB. So anyone who goes over 20000MB in a month is getting overcharged even though they were told they had a 20Gb limit.

If someone went to comreg and complained I'd imagine iD couldn't really argue it, they are in the wrong here. Overcharging. Simple as.

Careful now - they might argue that since 20Gb (Gigabits) = 2.5GB (GigaBytes) they're actually doing you a favour not charging you excess over your 2.5GB allowance ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Getting 4G in Croker on ID.

HSDPA was unheard of for me with O2, Three, emobile.

Here's hoping this continues when the place is rammed nearer the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

after testing the sim for ID, i cant see myself going any further with them.
    Very slow (unusable) 3G in loughrea town, and its worse when you get back to rural ireland.

pity as their offers are best around, but the network setup must be poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

after testing the sim for ID, i cant see myself going any further with them.
    Very slow (unusable) 3G in loughrea town, and its worse when you get back to rural ireland.

pity as their offers are best around, but the network setup must be poor.

You can't expect bottom dollar and get top tier service. When you take the OPEX out the figure they pay per sub to Three must be pretty tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

ED E wrote: »
    You can't expect bottom dollar and get top tier service. When you take the OPEX out the figure they pay per sub to Three must be pretty tiny.

^^^THIS^^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

When you pay for a service you expect to be able to get the basics such as send and receive MMS and consistently receivw text messages from outside the network. I find the reception on iD very acceptable just wish they would sort out SMS and MMS.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Do people still send MMS, I that's that's what viber, whatsapp and iMessage is for?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Do people still send MMS, I that's that's what viber, whatsapp and iMessage is for?

Good thing about it is you can send an MMS to anyone without knowing which of these services they are using and what type of phone they have, and you are pretty sure they will be able to open it.

I'm not big into MMS, but this is the reason I never really liked vibes, whatsapp, and all as a replacement for text messagges (iMessage is a bit different as it automatically substitutes to SMS/MMS when available, so you still have certainty the other party will be reached one way or another without having any prior information about them). Plus the fact that they can of lock you into one private and closed platform for your communications while SMS/MMS are an open standard which his not linked to any company.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yeah but most providers still charge 20-25c for an mms and they don't come out of your bundles. Also, viber, whatapp and iMessage you can actually see if your contact is actually using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

Aquos76 wrote: »

Not the point. If you pay for a service you should expect the basics. Not every one uses a 3rd party app for texting and send pictures. My wife uses her phone to run a small business. Her clients ask her to send a picture of her product. Most of her clients are pretty savy when it comes phones and apps but some can barely use texting. It's not just MMS where the problem is it is also SMS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭malcy

A week and a half later and no reply from iD about their false advertising and poor service. I'm going to go to 3 and pay an extra fiver and get unlimited data. Hope this network sort themselves out eventually before they crash and burn....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Lads,

The ID mobile site is abysmal. Can anyone point me towards the internet settings (particularly the outgoing SMTP setttings) for ID Mobile please?

Cheers,
    Quad

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

quad_red wrote: »
    Lads,

The ID mobile site is abysmal. Can anyone point me towards the internet settings (particularly the outgoing SMTP setttings) for ID Mobile please?

Cheers,
    Quad

For apn settings all I put in is internet in the apn box and that's it. Works fine for me.

For apn settings all I put in is internet in the apn box and that's it. Works fine for me.

Hi Almighty,

Internet access is fine. It's related to my colleagues eircom.net email address. He can receive emails but can't send them via the mail app.

According to this: https://community.eir.ie/apps-websites-99/email-on-my-iphone-11435

For eircom.net email settings on platforms *other* than eircom you have to use the operator's outgoing SMTP server.

So I'm trying to find those settings to no avail. Even webchatting to an ID Mobile agent via their website to no avail.

Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Hi Almighty,

Internet access is fine. It's related to my colleagues eircom.net email address. He can receive emails but can't send them via the mail app.

According to this: https://community.eir.ie/apps-websites-99/email-on-my-iphone-11435

For eircom.net email settings on platforms *other* than eircom you have to use the operator's outgoing SMTP server.

So I'm trying to find those settings to no avail. Even webchatting to an ID Mobile agent via their website to no avail.

Quad

Not all operators provide SMTP settings. GMail and other email providers provide SMTP services free of charge

slegs wrote: »
    Not all operators provide SMTP settings. GMail and other email providers provide SMTP services free of charge

So..... any suggestions of how to get this working?

ID mobile have said they don't have any SMTP settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Google settings are here. That should work.
    http://docs.helpscout.net/article/120-smtp-settings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Google settings are here. That should work.
    http://docs.helpscout.net/article/120-smtp-settings

Eircom *might* (and should) let you use their SNMP server from outside their network with an encrypted connection and using your username an password (if they don't they are a bit crap, because it means their service is unusable on a mobile device such as a laptop or mobile phone which will obviously not always be connected to Eircom when on the go).

Otherwise you will have to create an account with another email provider (such as the Gmail option above) and use that account to get access to that povider's SMTP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

I would suggest you move email provider. Any email provider that doesn't allow you to access their SMTP server from outside their own network is ****e

I would suggest you move email provider. Any email provider that doesn't allow you to access their SMTP server from outside their own network is ****e

I didn't want to sound harsh - but yeah that's pretty much what I think as well :-)

Bob24 wrote: »
    Eircom *might* (and should) let you use their SNMP server from outside their network with an encrypted connection and using your username an password (if they don't they are a bit crap, because it means their service is unusable on a mobile device such as a laptop or mobile phone which will obviously not always be connected to Eircom when on the go).

Otherwise you will have to create an account with another email provider (such as the Gmail option above) and use that account to get access to that povider's SMTP server.

Its the responsibility of each ISP to control spam that is outbound from their network, thats why they block 25 and force you through their own SMTP node. This is normal. Every other ISP has their own SMTP server, its ludicrous that iD do not. Only non-ISP providers (Google, Yahoo etc) will allow external access to their SMTP and they take on the burden of ensuring its not abused.

Normally the solution is simple, have one SMTP entry for your home connection and one for your cellular connection. Most email clients support this though a few phones may not.

I'd tell iD to huff it if they cant provide something so basic.

Its the responsibility of each ISP to control spam that is outbound from their network, thats why they block 25 and force you through their own SMTP node. This is normal. Every other ISP has their own SMTP server, its ludicrous that iD do not. Only non-ISP providers (Google, Yahoo etc) will allow external access to their SMTP and they take on the burden of ensuring its not abused.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no risk of abuse if you enforce authentication and encrypted connections when a user is accessing the server from outside the network. Would be super easy for Eircom to implement, they just don't feel like doing it (I am not saying they are the only ISP in that situation, but it is not an excuse).

Normally the solution is simple, have one SMTP entry for your home connection and one for your cellular connection. Most email clients support this though a few phones may not.

Not really a viable solution on a mobile device. What do you do when you are tavelling and accessing the Internet from a hotel or coffee shop's Wi-Fi network? Neither of your 2 SMTP servers will be available if they are both refusing connections from outside their network.

These restrictions were OK when people were only accessing the Internet from fixed desktop computers which would not leave their house. Today providing an email service without any option to use an email client to send emails from outside a specific ISP's network is just ridiculous. If they are to keep that restriction they might as well stop saying they are offering an email service.

While I agree that all providers should be moving that way the fact is they're not. Being pragmatic iD should be following the norm here and providing the facility for users. A huge portion of Ireland still use eircom.net addresses, you still see it on the back of coaches etc even.

Its like saying "we should all be IPv6 so we're not going to offer IPv4". In theory its correct, but practically its farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Can anyone point out to me where it says about pro rats in the first month in terms and conditions- I can't see it.

We hit 49gb, the app says we have 10gb left but got a text to say we will be getting a bill of an extra €75 for over usage.

When I called, the man said it was in the terms and conditions. I told him at the point of sale it wasn't mentioned, it wasn't on the contract my oh signed. He said it was available on line on the terms and conditions. To which i said, there is no reference of further terms and conditions on the contract she signed, nor did the salesperson say to check online for further T&Cs no did she mention that we would have less data the first month.

(Reason for such high usage this month was out sky was broken so we used net flicks but were checking the app regularly so as not to go over the 60gb)

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Keep losing 3G/4G connection. I have to reconnect to iD network to get data connection working on 3G/4G. Spoke to iD and two agents both told me (confirmed by network team) that this is how it works and no other option but to keep reconnecting and then use data again (this will remain the same until at least 2017 when some changes will be made to network apparently). iD deliberately connect phones to 2G mast after a short period of not using the data connection. I've seen a few others having this same issue and also issues with delayed sms'. Anyone else experiencing these issues? Had no problem with same phone on previous network and same issue on new phone. Have exhausted investigations with their network team by the sounds of it. Have been told they aren't getting many calls on this issue so it's probably not a priority for the network team to resolve. I know for sure I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. Have seen examples of the same issues in the UK with ID also.

Can anyone point out to me where it says about pro rats in the first month in terms and conditions- I can't see it.

We hit 49gb, the app says we have 10gb left but got a text to say we will be getting a bill of an extra €75 for over usage.

When I called, the man said it was in the terms and conditions. I told him at the point of sale it wasn't mentioned, it wasn't on the contract my oh signed. He said it was available on line on the terms and conditions. To which i said, there is no reference of further terms and conditions on the contract she signed, nor did the salesperson say to check online for further T&Cs no did she mention that we would have less data the first month.

(Reason for such high usage this month was out sky was broken so we used net flicks but were checking the app regularly so as not to go over the 60gb)

Thanks in advance.

How did you get a 60Gb allowance? Thought highest was 20?

Got an email back saying that I am getting 20GB but when I challenged them again about their own site saying its 20,000Mb I heard nothing back. Useless. It wasn't until I made a fuss on twitter that they actually bothered to finally emailed me back....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

malcy wrote: »
    How did you get a 60Gb allowance? Thought highest was 20?

Got an email back saying that I am getting 20GB but when I challenged them again about their own site saying its 20,000Mb I heard nothing back. Useless. It wasn't until I made a fuss on twitter that they actually bothered to finally emailed me back....

It's on the dongle. 60gb for €30

• Advertisement

It's on the dongle. 60gb for €30

Ah ok thanks. That's quite good.

Advertisement