Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hardware versand insolvent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Just out of curiosity,

Would amazon de it es be good options?

With GBP the way it is, buying from UK is too expensive?

Is the only thing to be wary about the plug for PSU? All the other components would be correct regarding power right?

I'm thinking about building in the next year or so, or at least fantasising...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

moleyv wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity,

Is the only thing to be wary about the plug for PSU? All the other components would be correct regarding power right?

The Power plug is the only thing you'll be missing yes, you can pick them up in any decent hardware for a few euro, or even just use an adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

moleyv wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity,

I have checked items on both and there really isn't that much of a difference with most items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Parawind

Ok guys here is your horror story.

I placed an order for an SSD and a new graphics card with them at the start of the month by bank transfer.

The SSD arrived after a week, but there was no sign of the card. I opened a support ticket with them about a week ago and they got back to me on Wednesday saying that there was stock issues with the supplier and so my order was delayed. They claimed they would ship out the card as soon as it arrived.

Now the card is no longer listed on the site and since part of my order was shipped, my order shows as complete on the site. Reading the news about their insolvency I guess I am completely screwed.

I popped them an email to see if it would be possible to substitute something else that they have in stock but I am not holding my breath.

Oh and the card was a
    Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming
    for those interested, the most money I have ever spent on a single piece of hardware.

The first upgrade for 4 years lol, all you can do is laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Not good. I bought something from a German store two years ago or so now that folded up. I was sent bits of forms over the while to put in my claim as their assets were being processed by the courts. Still haven't seen a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Guys don't forget Komplett.ie, their prices have improved of late.

I always bought everything off Komplett.ie for years my current PC was built with all parts off them, I also got my monitor off them as well.

Parawind wrote: »

I placed an order for an SSD and a new graphics card with them at the start of the month by bank transfer.

The SSD arrived after a week, but there was no sign of the card. I opened a support ticket with them about a week ago and they got back to me on Wednesday saying that there was stock issues with the supplier and so my order was delayed. They claimed they would ship out the card as soon as it arrived.

Now the card is no longer listed on the site and since part of my order was shipped, my order shows as complete on the site. Reading the news about their insolvency I guess I am completely screwed.

I popped them an email to see if it would be possible to substitute something else that they have in stock but I am not holding my breath.

Oh and the card was a
    for those interested, the most money I have ever spent on a single piece of hardware.

I feel your pain, that is a nice few quid to throw away, hopefully you get refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 igorrasic

Parawind wrote: »

Oh and the card was a

Same story, paid on 29th june g1 gtx980ti and 4k monitor. Monitor came after 5 days, and still waiting card. But as i could talk with them, they know that they didn't sent card. I hope we wouldn't lose our money..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

EU consumer protection laws surely wouldn't allow you to outright lose your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,897 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EU consumer protection laws surely wouldn't allow you to outright lose your money.

They don't but you become an unsecured creditor at the end of a very long line of secured creditors, you usually gets cents on the Euro for their debts, so by the time it comes to unsecured creditors there's rarely any money left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

Should we be worried about not getting our money back or the length of time it takes to get our money back?
    This is the email i got "3 articles have been canceled today. Reimbursement will be made to the original account. The duration is at least 5 working days." This is the email i got on the 17th those 3 items are 500 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Tough to lose money but shows the problem with paying by bank transfer really, you have no protection. At least with a credit card or paypal you can get refunded without the shop having any say in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Moon54 wrote: »
    Scan.co.uk, Amazon.co.uk, Overclockers.co.uk... all have good/great customer
    service with reasonable/free delivery charges.
    It really depends on the exchange rate a lot of the time, but saying that, I bought stuff from Amazon there recently, and it was a quick transaction.
    Moon54 wrote: »
    I would love to recommend a Irish retailer than can compete on price & service,
    but most are just subsidiaries of UK/EU retailers e.g. Dabs.ie, Komplett.ie

However MemoryC.com are Irish and can be reasonable on certain items,
    perhaps it's time for them to move more into the PC builder enthusiast market.
    Can only recommend MemoryC for RAM, but not much else. They seem to be trying to branch out, offering other things, so shall see how that goes for them.
    strelok wrote: »
    im surprised komplett are still going, they crashed hard didn't they?

i forget exactly what it was they did that pissed everyone off, but they went from being a guaranteed recommendation to 'ah here, if you absolutely have to' very very quickly
    IIRC, Komplett was sold to another company, their website went from good to bad, and their prices became uncompetitive.
    superg wrote: »
    Tough to lose money but shows the problem with paying by bank transfer really, you have no protection. At least with a credit card or paypal you can get refunded without the shop having any say in it.
    After hardwareversand goes tits up, I wonder will anyone pay by bank transfer to German companies again. As much as the Paypal thing is annoying, at least it now means anyone who has paid with it can now get their money back!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The problem with the other companies you see on compare.eu is that none of them deliver to Ireland - HWVS were the only ones (with the exception of one or two Polish suppliers). I was about to drop the needfuls on a 970 on Friday, glad I waited now :D

So what's a valid replacement? I'm gonna see what I can see. Euro/Stg exchange rate is a bit pants. Keep forgetting that NewEgg are an Irish option now too.

I'd never pay any company anywhere by any method that leaves me no recourse should things go tits up. I'd be wary of any company these days not offering free paypal or the option to use a credit card.

Shiminay wrote: »
    The problem with the other companies you see on compare.eu is that none of them deliver to Ireland - HWVS were the only ones (with the exception of one or two Polish suppliers). I was about to drop the needfuls on a 970 on Friday, glad I waited now :D

So what's a valid replacement? I'm gonna see what I can see. Euro/Stg exchange rate is a bit pants. Keep forgetting that NewEgg are an Irish option now too.

Somebody here recently used mindfactory for something. They seem cheap enough and deliver to Ireland. Don't know about payment methods though.

EDIT: 30 quid delivery, not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Paypal charge them fees, when you cut margins real tight then that's a big factor. You could always use paypal if you wanted to pay the premium.

ED E wrote: »
    Paypal charge them fees, when you cut margins real tight then that's a big factor. You could always use paypal if you wanted to pay the premium.

That is true they just added the bank transfer to keep cost down for the buyer but the only problem with that is you have no come back if things go pear shaped unlike credit card or paypal which is the best option as I had to use their dispute system a few times over the years to get my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

superg wrote: »
    Somebody here recently used mindfactory for something. They seem cheap enough and deliver to Ireland. Don't know about payment methods though.

EDIT: 30 quid delivery, not cheap!

I'm in the middle of two builds at the moment (€700 & €1300) and Mindfactory ended up cheaper than HV for both of them, and that's including the delivery charge and having to buy the cases and a monitor from dabs.

Mindfactory keep larger items in a separate warehouse which ends up doubling the ridiculous postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Any good sites to order from that deal in Euro? Most sites I see suggested are Scan, Overclocker etc. All good companies but the exchange rate leads us to paying way over the odds.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    Any good sites to order from that deal in Euro? Most sites I see suggested are Scan, Overclocker etc. All good companies but the exchange rate leads us to paying way over the odds.

Best option is shop around for what you are looking for. Sometimes the UK places have special offers on and then also some of the euro amazons do good deals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder will anyone pay by bank transfer to German companies again.

I certainly won't. I was reluctant to do so a few weeks ago but took a chance. I got all my stuff thankfully but not doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

I just don't understand how a seemingly popular online retailer can go into insolvency like this? What brought it on, was there some huge unforeseen spike in their costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

So I checked with my bank/credit card company today and I have to send off a form but before I do I said will attempt to contact them again tomorrow to get my order cancelled. If there is no response ill send the form off.

Tails142 wrote: »
    I just don't understand how a seemingly popular online retailer can go into insolvency like this? What brought it on, was there some huge unforeseen spike in their costs?

And especially a German company. Their economy is alot better than most countries around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Keep forgetting that NewEgg are an Irish option now too.
    An option, but what are RMAs like? Also, how much is tax usually? No point in getting something cheap, only for Customs tax to wipe out the savings!
    Tails142 wrote: »
    What brought it on, was there some huge unforeseen spike in their costs?
    Unless you read German news, I doubt you'll see anything going wrong with a German company. I'd say someone will write an article that'll explain it all in a few weeks.

=-=

Is skinflint.co.uk of any use fior UK comparisons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What's the Polish ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Newegg are pretty cheap but you end up paying the difference in postage. I'd imagine all the parts in a rig might cost about €150-200.

Would be good for small things like a CPU or an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Lukker- wrote: »
    Newegg are pretty cheap but you end up paying the difference in postage. I'd imagine all the parts in a rig might cost about €150-200.

Would be good for small things like a CPU or an SSD.

Are Newegg deliveries coming in from the U.S when products are ordered here or do they have a UK base now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Anyone know what sort of custom tax I would get charged on an i5 from Newegg, works out about 240 euro with delivery. Pretty reasonable without customs so far!

Advertisement