Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Well done Ireland. Gallant losers but a lot of positives to take bit like the senior team today

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

England put this game to bed very early.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

nz under 20's must be awful to lose to this mob.

You just can't help yourself, can you? Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Very disappointing result but these lads will benefit grately from this result. The likes of Ryan and Porter and the whole team have done themselves and their nation proud. I am ever hopeful for the future of Irish rugby. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Can't read into this result too much. Well done to the lads did us and themselves proud. No need for a post mortem, the U20s is first and foremost about developing the players. Let's see how many of those English players go on to bigger and better things. A lot of their lads are already physically developed having been in a professional setup for such a long time. It's always been this way and for our population we produce a hell of a lot more international class players than them. No need to worry, there's a few future stars in that bunch no doubt.

Great tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Very much looking forward to seeing Hugo Keenan in the Leinster environment. Seems to be able to find space where there looks to be none. Great ability to change his angle of running without slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagz wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to seeing Hugo Keenan in the Leinster environment. Seems to be able to find space where there looks to be none. Great ability to change his angle of running without slowing down.

Very much looking forward to see a whole host of those Leinster players playing B&I rugby next year. A lot of talent there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Didn't get to see the final. How good was Mallinder? The bookies weren't pulling it out of their arses, England were comfortably better i take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Congrats to Max Deegan on winning player of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Not quite Launchbury MotM gloomy, but he doesn't look to thrilled here - fair play to the lad though, bright future
    https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/746817572453122048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redpill

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Not quite Launchbury MotM gloomy, but he doesn't look to thrilled here - fair play to the lad though, bright future
    https://twitter.com/WorldRugby/status/746817572453122048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Big future ahead of him but one has to wonder would he be better off at another province instead of being behind the 5+ international quality backrows at leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fair play to him. The only Irishman since Keith Wood to win either the senior or junior award despite a good few nominees at both levels.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,122 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Didn't get to see the final. How good was Mallinder? The bookies weren't pulling it out of their arses, England were comfortably better i take it?

He ran some tasty support lines but was given a pretty easy ride by our back row who were too busy countering the English power.
    You could see his top level experience come through however, he organises and directs very well.

I think Stockdale was still the pick of the outside backs on show.

The way English rugby is set up with youth academies feeding into professional teams, they get top level experience much more quickly and it shows at this level.

Mallinder is well used to playing AP rugby now. Joe Marchant, their Jonathan Joseph look-a-like, has a number of AP appearances for Quins at 19. Callum Chick, their 8, was starting for the Falcons in the Challenge Cup as was Huw Taylor, their lock.

They're far more developed than our guys. Is Stockdale the only one with senior pro experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    The way English rugby is set up with youth academies feeding into professional teams, they get top level experience much more quickly and it shows at this level.

Mallinder is well used to playing AP rugby now. Joe Marchant, their Jonathan Joseph look-a-like, has a number of AP appearances for Quins at 19. Callum Chick, their 8, was starting for the Falcons in the Challenge Cup as was Huw Taylor, their lock.

They're far more developed than our guys. Is Stockdale the only one with senior pro experience?
    Their set up allows greater interaction between pro sides and potential pros at an earlier age. For all the strengths of the schools game it wont do enough in most years against players who are training and playing within a pro set up several years earlier. But we've done very well.

Have been on holidays so havent seen game yet so cant really comment but great to get to final.

Group for next year is
    Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redpill

Anyone know who from this team is underage for next year?

Redpill wrote: »
    Anyone know who from this team is underage for next year?

Cillian Gallagher, Bill Johnston and Johnny McPhillips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Oddly quiet regarding Max Deegan. I remember when JJ Hanrahan was only nominated for the award and everyone was going crazy saying he was going to be the greatest player ever. Deegan has actually won the award and lead his team to the final of a world cup and there's is barely any mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Because JJ Hanrahan didn't become the greatest thing ever. He's stuck behind Stephen Myler at Northampton. People are more aware that u20 performances are only an indication of potential and not a guarantee of future success.

Maybe behind Mallinder soon as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

WarZ wrote: »
    Oddly quiet regarding Max Deegan. I remember when JJ Hanrahan was only nominated for the award and everyone was going crazy saying he was going to be the greatest player ever. Deegan has actually won the award and lead his team to the final of a world cup and there's is barely any mention.
    Scroll back a few page's - he has gotten plenty of praise here

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Scroll back a few page's - he has gotten plenty of praise here

Not compared to JJH in fairness but it's understandable.

The U20 team was far less fancied this year. There was next to no fanfare at the start of the tournament with damage limitation being the expectation from many.

The coverage of the games coincided with a hugely absorbing test series in South Africa and a moderately successful Euro 2016.

The 2012 side was the year the senior team were circling the drain and got thumped in NZ. The football team were beaten out the door in Euro 2012.

Our U20 team, however, was brimming with talent. We had guys who had real potential and big things were expected from so the profile of the tournament was much higher in the country. Paddy Jackson, JJ Hanrahan, Conor Gilsenan, Jordan Coghlan, Jack Conan, Shane Buckley, Iain Henderson, Chris Farrell, Tadhg Furlong, Luke McGrath, Stuart Olding, Kieran Marmion and Niall Scannell all featured that year. The hype around the team from the outset was big and any story around them followed suit.

Someone like Max Deegan went into this tournament with a far lower profile than JJ Hanrahan who was the recipient of massive hype before he had even left school.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How did that ^ U20's team do?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Blackheath

Deegan Ryan, McBurney and Porter made the team of the tournament

How did that ^ U20's team do?

Finished 5th. Started very well by beating the Boks (hosts) in the opener. Then they lost to England in their second match and thumped whoever was the weak team in the pool. They missed out on a semi final spot by a whisker.

They beat England and France (I think) to finish 5th in the play offs. It was a decent performance but we could have gone much better after the opening win.

SA bounced back and won the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Never forget Shane Buckley 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Was listening to the sports programme on RTE radio today and they has Shane Byrne on. Now I know Mullet gets a bit excitable at times but he was adamant that Max Deegan will be Heaslip's successor for Leinster and Ireland and should be getting capped by Leinster in the next year or so.

It's between him and Conan and Conan might not stick around or live up to his promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

It's between him and Conan and Conan might not stick around or live up to his promise.
    Conan is already an international and is fairly well proven. I would have thought he has already started living up to his promise. Deegan has proven a lot less to date. Obviously Deegan has not had the chance top prove himself yet.

• Advertisement

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Conan is already an international and is fairly well proven. I would have thought he has already started living up to his promise. Deegan has proven a lot less to date. Obviously Deegan has not had the chance top prove himself yet.

Conan really needs a season of 20 starts in the team with consistently good showings before he can be considered as having proven himself, for me. He was capped but so are Dominic Ryan and Robin Copeland, neither of whom I'd have near a Leinster 23.

13 starts in the 2014/15 season is Conan's most to date. This coming season is going to be a big one as Heaslip will be away with Ireland but also getting on in years and should be given a rest now and again even when available.

Advertisement