Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 2016 6Nations/Junior World Cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Georgia are hosting next year, think the tournament has been in Argentina in the past too. Surly we have better rugby playing facilities than those countries

We have hosted it. It was in Belfast a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Thought we were excellent and brilliantly controlled yet again.

For me outside of the obvious 5 (Johston, Stockdale, Ryan, Porter and Deegan) Kerins has been the standout. His speed to the breakdown and tempo is fantastic. I think he could be the first of this team to get some regular pro game time.

Very happy to say McPhilips proved me wrong yesterday. Thought he was excellent.

Will be interested to see how some of these guys go next year. Really can't see anyone other then Kerins and Stockdale getting any pro game time. I reckon Deegan, Ryan and Porter are behind too much class and Johston will have to get himself fit before he gets a chance and has 3 OH's ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Betts deserve a mention aswell, really impressed considering he would have been 3rd choice TH if O'Donnell and Kenny were fit..
    O'Connor too, with Gallagher and Claffey out he stepped up
    Two good young players for Munster to be excited about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Thought we were excellent and brilliantly controlled yet again.

For me outside of the obvious 5 (Johston, Stockdale, Ryan, Porter and Deegan) Kerins has been the standout. His speed to the breakdown and tempo is fantastic. I think he could be the first of this team to get some regular pro game time.

Very happy to say McPhilips proved me wrong yesterday. Thought he was excellent.

Will be interested to see how some of these guys go next year. Really can't see anyone other then Kerins and Stockdale getting any pro game time. I reckon Deegan, Ryan and Porter are behind too much class and Johston will have to get himself fit before he gets a chance and has 3 OH's ahead of him.

Kerrins could be 4th choice with Ian Porter leaving. Which is ok for a young 20 y.o boy. But Cooney/Marmion/Blade are quality players and far from retirement, I fear any of the other 3 provinces (or all) come sniffing around. That's the only area where Connacht is really better filled with than any other Irish team TBH

connachta wrote: »
    Kerrins could be 4th choice with Ian Porter leaving. Which is ok for a young 20 y.o boy. But Cooney/Marmion/Blade are quality players and far from retirement, I fear any of the other 3 provinces (or all) come sniffing around. That's the only area where Connacht is really better filled with than any other Irish team TBH

You'd have to think Marmion will be gone for all the international stuff now. If one of Cooney/Blade are injured, he's right in the mix. Plus with HCup this year too there will likely be a bit more rotation which will help his case.

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Betts deserve a mention aswell, really impressed considering he would have been 3rd choice TH if O'Donnell and Kenny were fit..
    O'Connor too, with Gallagher and Claffey out he stepped up
    Two good young players for Munster to be excited about
    Ye, agreed. He's been fantastic. With Munsters TH issues could find himself getting some exposure in the next few years. Thought O'Connor was good but Gallagher and Claffey are definitely a step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Really impressed with the lads coming off the bench not giving any slack to the argentinians and continuing scrum dominance, albeit the argentinians looked a bit disinterested by that stage.

England looked very good against S.A, all i hope for is that all the lads leave it all on the pitch and have no regrets come the final whistle on Saturday, theyve far exceeded my expectations and done themselves proud win or lose come sat. Go bash some poms boys

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭phog

The London Branch of the MRSC ran buses from London to Cardiff during the RWC, they're running one to Manchester for the U20s final on Saturday.

ClfAxDaXEAA1QLo.jpg
    On the back of member requests and the successful RWC 2015 buses, the MRSC London Branch are making it easier for all Irish fans to add their support to the history making Ireland U-20 side for their World Rugby U20 Championship Final against hosts England in Manchester this Saturday by running a day return bus service to the game from London (subject to minimum numbers booking*).

Please note there are no train options back to London after the game.

The proposed bus details are as follows:

13.30 - Leave Central London, Temple Place (rear entrance to Walkabout Temple, Temple Station, Temple Pl, London WC2R 2PH)

13.55 - Collection point in North (West) London (Crown Hotel, Cricklewood Broadway, our North London Red Experience Venue)

En Route: Short (15minute) stop at one of the Motorway Service Stations

17.30 - Expected arrival to AJ Bell Stadium

19.00 - Match kick off

20.50 - Match approximate finish

21.40 - Departure from stadium back to London

The bus price is £40Stg return, £30 one way adult, with children half price and can be booked via the following link:

Purchase Bus Tickets

Any questions, please email mrsclondon@munsterrugby.ie

*NB : if we do not reach the minimum required numbers, a full refund will be provided.

*Match Tickets: Currently on public sale via Ticketmaster. The London Branch have requested details from World Rugby on making a group booking and will advise all those who book the bus how they can book a match ticket directly with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Redpill

I see max deegan was nominated for player of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

No Porter for POTT?

Props always get overlooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Is O'Donnell available for the final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Interesting David Aspil not included in Leinster academy for next year despite being very solid in this tournament and having a decent season with Marys, a case of too many back rows maybe? Could be an option for Connacht?

Also that Porter lad's huge. A friend that knew him in school just told me he benches 350kg very impressive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Interesting David Aspil not included in Leinster academy for next year despite being very solid in this tournament and having a decent season with Marys, a case of too many back rows maybe? Could be an option for Connacht?

Also that Porter lad's huge. A friend that knew him in school just told me he benches 350kg very impressive stuff.

He is the new world record holder so as the last record was 327.5 kgs.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

maybe 250 then? still very impressive, 2 props pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

250 is hugely impressive. He looks absolutely huge and not finished growing yet. Imagine with a couple more years what he will be capably of !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Luke Fitz said on the recent Sky Panel that he squats 350, which I'm pretty sure would put him in the elite level of powerlifting.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

250 kilos are you out of your mind?? ahahaha, he wouldnt be close to 250kgs. I know the guy aswell and he certainly doesnt hahaha.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Luke Fitz said on the recent Sky Panel that he squats 350, which I'm pretty sure would put him in the elite level of powerlifting.
    He said that as an obvious exaggeration.....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Aspil would be a good option for Ulster as well.

bilston wrote: »

Aspil would be a good option for Ulster as well.
    Really like Aspil as a player always gets stuck in and takes no **** haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There is a quote in the examiner where Porter claims he's hit 280.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭LostArt

Neil3030 wrote: »

I'd be shocked if he could unrack the bar without exploding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

LostArt wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if he could unrack the bar without exploding.

Didn't Luke Fitz say this about porter?

errlloyd wrote: »
    There is a quote in the examiner where Porter claims he's hit 280.
    280kg on a squat wouldnt suprise me, but 250kgs on a bench press is the biggest pile of horse sh*t i've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's his squat. It was an interview in the Examiner.

Buer wrote: »
    It's his squat. It was an interview in the Examiner.
    Thats entirely possible, but someone originally quoted a 350kg benchpress maybe they were taking the p*ss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Peter Robb has the strongest bench in Irish rugby at the moment - just over 200kg which is mental. There would be a very small amount of players going above 150kg so you can put that into perspective. Not a chance in hell is Porter benching anywhere near that.

I'd be dubious over a 280kg squat as well. Maybe on a high box squat but not on a standard squat. That's high level powerlifter Irish standard. Again to put it into perspective the most I've seen a rugby player do is 240kg, you'll rarely find someone going above the 200kg mark. Rugby players simply don't have the time or recovery to increase their weights to that a high a standard. Especially when at international level

Edit: Andrew Sheridan (former England prop) was known to be the strongest rugby player in the world with a 225kg bench and 275kg squat. I'd be surprised if a young Irish prop is outdoing him!

d-gal wrote: »
    Peter Robb has the strongest bench in Irish rugby at the moment - just over 200kg which is mental. There would be a very small amount of players going above 150kg so you can put that into perspective. Not a chance in hell is Porter benching anywhere near that.

I'd be dubious over a 280kg squat as well. Maybe on a high box squat but not on a standard squat. That's high level powerlifter Irish standard. Again to put it into perspective the most I've seen a rugby player do is 240kg, you'll rarely find someone going above the 200kg mark. Rugby players simply don't have the time or recovery to increase their weights to that a high a standard. Especially when at international level

Edit: Andrew Sheridan (former England prop) was known to be the strongest rugby player in the world with a 225kg bench and 275kg squat. I'd be surprised if a young Irish prop is outdoing him!
    Yep I've seen Robb smash a 190kg bench press with ease so I'm not surprised if he's over 200 now.
    In terms of Porters squat, yes its highly likely he he squats in the upper two hundreds but it would certainly be a wide stance powerlifting squat or even a box squat with questionable depth, it doesn't really matter what he squats in the gym it matters how he can use it on the pitch and he uses his strength extremely well. I've known many a strong gym lifter rugby player that cant translate it on the pitch, Porter isn't one of those guys so whatever he's doing he should keep doing lol

Anybody know where that thread about the U20s Rugby World Cup is gone?

• Advertisement

Thats entirely possible, but someone originally quoted a 350kg benchpress maybe they were taking the p*ss

I was going off what a guy i know that was a year or two bellow him in school was saying but maybe he got squat and bench mixed up and then exaggerated a bit

Advertisement