Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options
1666768697072»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Best thing is to get a consultation with someone reputable here, and hear what they have to say and then make a decision what to do next. No need to spend weeks researching, it's all rather simple, you just need to get on Finasteride/Minox prior to getting a procedure in order to halt further hairloss, and then later go somewhere reputable for the procedure.

Dr Nel is a good person to get a consultation with, and he can give you the prescription for Fin/Minox.

https://www.hswclinic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Thank you everyone for the information. I will definitely do my research on this area before I make any financial decisions. I'm finding the whole experience very stressful and it's magnifying my hair loss, making me very paranoid and unhappy in myself. I seem to be reading more and more horror stories compared to success ones, which isn't helping me. I would prefer to stay in Ireland though to get the procedure done, for obvious reasons.

I will firstly make an appointment with Dr. Andre Nel to get his opinion and then take it from there.

Has anyone had any experience with Regaine?

Regaine is just minox, so won't STOP hairloss as Finasteride will. It only helps with the growth of hair (minimally slowing hair loss too), but if you are losing your hair then there is less hair to "help grow"

I'm going to make an appointment with Dr. Nel and just go from there. No point spending weeks and months researching and stressing out more about it.

Is there any surgeons out there in Ireland worth going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

I’d recommend Andre Nel. Expensive, but very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

In Ireland, the cost of a hair transplant varies between €4 and €10 per follicular unit grafted, depending on the clinic you choose. I’ve personally visited both Dr. Nel and Blackrock clinics, and I can attest that both are very good and will give you a natural looking hair transplant. While I won’t disclose specific prices online out of fairness to both clinics, I can share that the average hair transplant involves around 1500 grafts for individuals with mild thinning and around 4000 grafts for those with significant hair loss. The extent of coverage achieved depends on each person’s unique hair characteristics so don't just go by what me or anyone says online. For financing options, consider a loan over a 5-7 year term—it’s a practical way to manage the cost.

Has anyone considered GrowClub?

I know absolutely nothing about them but I'm sure like all places they might be worth visiting if they are on your radar. What i'm seeing online looks okay so they would be worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ftzr

I visited a few clinics, but after talking with Dr Kevin in Tna Nog I felt a lot more comfortable about the procedure, and he went into great detail about the after care and medication.
    Mainly treating temples and hair line. Approx 1400 graphs, cost just under €3000. Would like to hear in anyone else had a HT with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johns1234ff4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 ftzr

I think it was €50 for consultation.

I think in Ireland at this point most of the more reputable clinics will get you a good result. Some are better than others at achieving a natural looking hairline but for many people, cost will be a factor. I weighed up cost and quality when picking a clinic so I think it’s always good to dig deep online, and if you can’t visit more than one clinic for a consultation, go with the one who you think offers the best balance of what you want. Make sure there is a doctor doing the surgery and don’t be driven too much by cost. Hair transplants are no longer overly expensive considering that getting a small loan is relatively easy these days. Some places offer loans over 7 years at around 8% APR. Lenders don’t care what a loan is for so just look around for the best rates and repayment times.

Is there anyone who has undergone a combination of hair transplantation and Scalp Micropigmentation (SMP)? I’ve also recently heard about the incorporation of body hair in hair transplants. How long have these procedures been in regular practice? A few years ago, when I consulted with HRBR, there was no discussion about these treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

Most good surgeons will have the option of body hair.Beard hair is the most commonly used by far as it mimics the characteristics of scalp hair the nearest. Chest hair is also used but isn't as effective as the growth cycle is much different .Body hair should not be used in the hairline but more in the midscalp and crown.

I was advised to use some beard during my 2nd HT but I didn't want to (managed to get enough from scalp anyway)

The pros

It give you more donor area to harvest.Shockloss rarely occurs in the beard donor and the area recovers quicker than scalp donor.it gives people an option when they don't have sufficient donor (be that through multiple previous surgeries, a botched HT or other factors)

The Cons

Beard hair is much more coarse and thick,you can usually feel the difference by touching but wouldn't notice to look at obviously. It's extremely rare to have multi hair beard follicles so beard hair will all be single hair grafts.

All things considered it wasn't for me but luckily I had sufficient scalp donor.

Everything you are saying seems to be pretty consistent with what I've experienced. I have a short supply of donor hair so this is perhaps why it was brought to my attention. What about hair transplant combined with SMP? Is that becoming more common? Again, I wasn't aware it was used along with a hair transplant until recently. Again, presumably for those who are balding more severely and don't have enough donor hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭HBC08

With SMP it is used in two ways.Firstly on a completely bald head to give the illusion of stubble,secondly on thin hair or diffuse thinning.

The former doesn't look great in my opinion, you can always tell its fake.The latter is better and can be very subtle and effective.

I never looked into it too much as its not something I was interested in so can't recommend any practitioners.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

I had SMP immediately prior (well, 3 months) to my ht. I think it works very well, given that it really is all about the illusion of hair density. The surgeon’s team did the SMP.

Yeah recommend SMP all the way, just make sure they do it dark enough as it goes a slightly lighter colour once absorbed.

The SMP thing is new to me. Can I ask, how does it last long term? What if my hair turns completely grey over time? I presume they match the pigment to your existing hair colour.

Lasts around 7 years, as long as not exposed to too much sunshine. It works best when you have hair you can cover over the area as this also protects against the sun.

It basically shades the area that is covered so if you go grey it would look like your roots are dark and should blend well, or of course you can dye your hair.

• Advertisement
Advertisement