Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Haha. I’m not sure if I have enough hair on top for that look. Considering my young kids, I’ve been contemplating letting them shave it to minimize the shock when I arrive home with a freshly shaved head. Alternatively, I could cut it relatively short before the transplant, and let the technician work their magic on the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johns1234ff4

I had a consultation with Growclub recently and they said they would not do a hair transplant on me. It seems with them your balding needs to be progressed a lot or they will fix a hairline. I’m a bad diffuse thinner (you can clearly see my scalp). I thought they might say the would have to shave all the head (I was hoping not to have to shave it if I could) but I wasn’t expecting them to say no to a hair transplant. When I had a consultation with Dr Nel he said I was a good candidate for a hair transplant. He also said I had the option of not shaving the top but this would be more expensive. I was hoping to go with Growclub as at least I would be able to stay in Ireland. Going to have to start looking at Turkey now I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If you still have hair that you can brush over the thinning areas, scalp pigmentation might be an intermediary option just to lessen the visibility of the scalp?

It will make the hair that you brush over the top appear thicker due to not being able to easily see the skin colour through it.

You can always get the transplant done later, scalp pigmentation doesn't affect that.

And as the other poster mentioned, you should be taking finasteride/minox, either orally or topical.

Yes, for the past 3 years. Started 1.25mg fin daily for around a year. This seemed to stop hair loss progressing. Then went to Dr Nel. He prescribed 1.25mg fin M/WF along with oral min. Didn’t see any growth at all with oral min so stopped that a few months ago.

• Advertisement

I had two previous SMP sessions (€400 a session) with a man in Limerick. I didn’t think he did a great job so I decided to go with someone else.

I then had 4 sessions of SMP all on top and crown a year ago with a woman in Dublin who works for Dr Nel (€500 each session). She was very professional and did a great job I thought. She said it would work very well and to trust the process and it would work. I was very sceptical as this was after having 2 session with her. She said after each session I would see a big improvement.

Within a few weeks the SMP all disappeared. You wouldn’t even think I had it done at all other than a small bit along the side of my hairline even when you look very closely at my scalp. When I went to Growclub the doctor gave SMP as a suggestion. He didn’t even realise I had 6 sessions of it already. That’s €3000 down the drain as well as all the time wasted travelling up and down to Dublin/Limerick. I don’t know what to do really.

While I was previously a patient of Blackrock, I’ve decided to explore other options for my hair transplant, fearing that HRBR might be too costly. Despite the impressive facility, skilled doctors, and high-quality hair transplants at HRBR, my extensive online research has led me to consider Dr. Nel for my procedure. As I’ve noted before, the quality of the transplant is paramount. Dr. O’Connor from HRBR rightly emphasized in 2010 that a hair transplant should have a natural appearance. Unfortunately, many clinics fail to achieve a natural-looking hairline, even the good ones. I’m scheduled to meet Dr. Nel in a few weeks.

I think with propecia/proscar you will hang onto a lot of your hair but you won't necessarily grow any new hair. I lost most of my hair around 15 years ago, started on Propecia and kept the same density for around 10 years until I stopped taking it out of pure disorganisation in my life after kids. I'm starting on it again soon. What's great now is that you can order it online through Lloyds by filling out a form. You couldn't do that years ago. I always found going to the expensive consultations in Blackrock just to get the meds a waste of money and a pain in the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

ouch yeah that sucks... the lady I recommend is https://www.thescalpcare.com/ (she works for HRBR and does their smp too but has her own side business)

She gives free consultation, but you probably don't fancy the SMP any longer after the terrible results already.

• Advertisement

Probably a very safe bet if she works for HRBR. Do they do scalp pigmentation directly?

Yeah she does it on site in her clinic. And also she does the SMP in Blackrock when under HRBR.

Actually I forgot to mention, she charges for 2 (or 3) sessions max but will do as many additional sessions as required to get the perfect results at no extra charge.

It was surprising to see Blackrock providing SMP, but it seems they’re adapting to modern trends. Despite their long-standing image as a “medical” alternative for hair transplants, this move reveals that they are essentially an upscale clinic. I've nothing against SMP btw. I just thought Blackrock as transplant only.

Not sure whether to give topical minoxidil a go after oral minoxidil didn’t seem to do anything growth wise? Where is the cheapest place to source topical minoxidil?
    It seems such a pain to have to apply it to my scalp each day. This was one of the main reasons that I went with oral minoxidil instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

IIf you have access to oral minoxidil I would stick with that.

More effective and less hassle.

Oral is cheaper too though the topical does seem to have less sides. The main downside of topical is that it's a new routine you need to get used to i.e. remembering to put it on 10 mins before you go to bed, which you can sometimes forget if you're out for the night or fall asleep watching TV or something 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I believe they were asking whether given that oral minox was not effective in promoting growth, is there a possibility that topical might be effective instead. The answer, as far as I'm aware is that there is a chance that it might, as topical and oral have a different mechanism of action, so it might be worth giving it a try.

If you are certain that Oral Minox wasn't effective, (i.e. no noticeable improvement after a minimum of 12 months) I would not take it. You're basically just tampering with your blood pressure and risking side effects for no reason.

Ive tried everything over 15 years and if it was me I would get on propecia/proscar and take a quarter to half a pill per day. There's no proven side effects but to be 100% safe, maybe give it up for a month when trying for kids. Any of the red flags come from Google doctors but medical professionals will always prescribe it as a proper medical solution for tackling baldness. It will thinken and maintain your remaining hair over time but you won't grow new hair. That's impossible unless the root is still active

Minoxidil was popular in the 80s and 90s but it's messy and impossible to fix into a daily hair routine as it will leave your scalp itchy, sticky and greasy which as a result makes you look like you have less hair. I saw no benefits from it.

You will hang on to most of your hair using propecia. Minoxidil tablets are more of a beauty treatment alternative and there's no strong medical evidence that they actually work.

That's just my two cents.

Seriously....

Can you stop with spreading nonsense?

There are lads on here looking for guidance and actual trying to research a HT which is a big thing for most.

Minoxidil is not a beauty treatment ffs.Yes it's greasy in topical form and a pain to use,that doesn't mean it doesn't work,it's been used in hair loss since 1984,longer than any other hairloss drug.

It's different to finesteride as it performs a different function. It keeps the hair in the Anagon stage of its cycle for the longest possible time.The oral form is proven to be more effective (medical fact) and less hassle (my opinion) I've been using it for 16 years.

Beware that in rare cases there are sides with topical and sides are more common with oral.Ive had them myself and still do from time to time.Consult your doctor before considering oral minoxidil, its a blood pressure medication and wasn't designed for hair loss,that was just a side effect.The dosage for hairloss is much less (2.5mg,5mg) but its still a serious medication, not to be confused with a "beauty treatment ".

Ive said it often on here the HT world is a minefield,you really have to be careful who you listen to and where you get your info. That's why I get annoyed when I see clear misinformation and blasé BS like the post above.

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

has anyone got a hair transplant with Growclub or know of anyone who did? their prices seem very cheap compared to Dr Nel and HRBR. I see they are advertising quite a lot and Philly Mcmahon is getting a transplant done with them.

• Advertisement

I understand that we have differing opinions. In the medical community, Propecia is widely recognized as an effective treatment for hair loss. Most qualified hair loss doctors prescribe Propecia and often recommend Minoxidil as a secondary option. Minoxidil, available as a topical treatment without a prescription, primarily thickens existing hair. However, it’s essential to recognize that regrowing lost hair is impossible. Ultimately, focusing on proven solutions like Propecia is crucial. Laser treatments, often touted as miraculous, don't work either. Propecia has undergone rigorous medical testing and is a reliable choice, while Minoxidil serves more as a mild enhancement.

I have limited knowledge about their transplant clinics, but my online research led me elsewhere. There’s a clinic on the Northside called Tir na Nog who seems competent. I’m yet to visit Dr. Nel, so I’m uncertain about his pricing. It’s essential not to prioritize cost too heavily when considering a hair transplant because cheaper options may not provide the same quality. While HRBR might be considered expensive compared to other clinics, it does offer high-quality transplants. The prevailing consensus on this forum seems to favor Dr. Nel.

I have limited knowledge about their transplant clinics, but my online research led me elsewhere. There’s a clinic on the Northside called Tir na Nog who seems competent. I’m yet to visit Dr. Nel, so I’m uncertain about his pricing. It’s essential not to prioritize cost too heavily when considering a hair transplant because cheaper options may not provide the same quality. While HRBR might be considered expensive compared to other clinics, it does offer high-quality transplants. The prevailing consensus on this forum seems to favor Dr. Nel.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

I would suggest visiting a few clinics to meet the doctor who is going to perform the procedure in person.

Full disclosure, I do work for a clinic in Ireland but not here to promote so just advising to do some research on each clinic and where possible visit to get a better understanding on what can be done etc.

As someone once said to me, you don't build an extension without getting a few quotes and the same could be said about an aesthetic procedure. You want to see examples of previous work to have an understanding of what can be achieved.

Agreed. My personal experience has been limited to visiting HRBR, and I would definitely recommend them for people who have a bit of money in their pocket. However, my confidence in their pricing as a fair representation of hair transplant costs remains a concern. A decade ago, I might have taken the plunge and undergone the procedure there. But now, with family responsibilities, car loans, and a mortgage, my financial constraints are more pronounced. I’ve learned the importance of shopping around—a practice I encourage everyone to adopt when considering a hair transplant.

Pay close attention to the hairlines. They serve as a telltale sign of clinic quality. A natural and age-appropriate hairline is crucial. Some clinics, unfortunately, miss the mark. I’ve seen lines drawn on patients’ heads that are way off, even though I’m not a professional in the field. Remember, a well-designed hairline should follow a gentle curve, and excessive transplantation at the front can lead to issues as your hair continues to thin over time, resulting in an unnatural strip across the forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ftzr

Hi

I have a HT booked with Tnnog clinic next month. Just wondering did you get any more information on them. They seem like a good fit for me.

Why did you decide to go with them? What are you getting done? Cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm 37 now and looking at getting something done but not sure what procedures/clinics/doctors to go to. It seems like a minefield out there.

I've read more complaints and horror stories online to keep a million miles away from getting anything done abroad so I would prefer to stay in Ireland to get a procedure done. However, there is the huge cost involved.

I also find this area very confusing and odd putting with different procedures/medications etc out there that seem to fail. Even people with deep pockets seem to fail to get a natural looking hair transplant done.

I feel overwhelmed and not sure how to even begin with looking into getting this done in Ireland.

So, guys, has anyone actually had a successful transplant? If so, can you give an account of your story because I'm feeling stressed out of it and I think it's making my hair loss even more depressing since I feel there's no hope

First of all dont panic,you have options.

Its good you're aware that its a minefield and do your due diligence.

You'll need to educate yourself on all aspects of it.This isn't a quick process as there's so much info out there and it's hard to know who to trust.

Theres many reputable sources too but i wont overwhelm you with lots of names.Ill give one example and that's Mr Rolandos on YouTube. Watch his vids,everything you need is there.

You are right,sometimes even the best surgeons get a poor yield and this can be down to your own physical make up.Similarly shockloss can happen to anyone,happened to me after 1st ht but not 2nd (same surgeon) What I will say is if there is a poor yield or you're not happy with some aspect the top surgeons will correct this free of charge.There are no guarantees but pluggy hairlines,not age appropriate hairlines,butchered donor areas etc shouldnt happen with a proper surgeon,if you go the hairmill/cheap route this is the kind of thing that happens regularly. You can expect to pay between €3 to €7 per graft for big name surgeons, its not cheap but not something you want to skimp on.

Lastly I would advise you to go abroad,it's the surgeon you're concerned with not the geography. There are no world class surgeons in Ireland.Similarly I would say to stay away from Turkey,there's 100s of clinics there and maybe 2 or 3 decent surgeons so just stay away from it.

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Ps,just to answer your question in meds...

Get on finesteride asap.Also start on minoxidil, you can buy this over the counter in the form of Rogaine,however the oral form is more effective and less hassle,that however is prescription.

Advertisement