Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭victor8600

I am already on Finasteride for the last 14 months. As per Dr. Nel's prescription, I am taking 1.25 mg Finasteride three times a week + 1.25mg of Minoxidil daily (though I have temporarily stopped taking Minoxidil as it is recommended not take it during 1 month post the HT).

HairPalace told me to continue taking Finasteride and stop taking Minoxidil for 1 month, I don't know if they would prescribe Fin for someone who wasn't on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

It's advised to stop topical minoxidil after a ht for a month or so.Theres no issue taking oral,you should double check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BarleyPie

Actually I already had a consultation with a doctor in the UK last year about it. More my question is aimed at possibly identifying who might be considered the best person in Ireland to perform SMP for density :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Got it done at Andre Nel’s practice prior to a HT. Very impressed, as it was done to complement the design of the HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd be interested in hearing Dr Nel's reaction to you going somewhere else for the HT when you go back to him for the next Minox prescription.

He freaked out when I told him I went somewhere else for the SMP. Said that "the arrangement wouldn't work for him as it was assumed I would get procedures done with him if getting the minox prescription". He hastily wrote the prescription and walked me to the door.

So eh.. I dunno what will happen when I have to go back in a few months for the next one 🤣

• Advertisement

Indeed, I will probably get my next prescription somewhere else! I would go with Dr. Nel if his fee was twice the price of the procedure in Turkey/Hungary. But he wants 4 times more. For me, it is too much to pay for the convenience of having the procedure done in Ireland.

Is it just convenience or would Dr. Nel be as good as/better than the doctors in Turkey/Hungary?

mainly convenience, also he seems to have a good rep, and he seems to be the main GP that can supply oral minox without requiring you undergo a full procedure (afaik).

Also, I assume, if you have any issues down the line like an infection, it would be much easier to have follow-up appointments.

But I've been through Istanbul airport several times and there are a huge number of bloodied scalps boarding the flight without a care in the world, so you wouldn't stand out looking like you've come back from the wars when on the flight.

This is a very good question! There is no independent comparison that we can use. In my case, I went to Hungary, the procedure itself was very smooth and the hairs were transplanted where they need to be. But it is only after 4-6 months when new hairs are growing in the transplantation area that I can say whether the procedure produced a visibly satisfactory result. For a meaningful comparison, someone would need to gather data from 10+ people of similar age and hair loss levels, doing the same procedure in different clinics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

Strange that Eugenix didn't recommend Finasteride though?? Ailesbury also don't.

I am not sure if Ailesbury suggest Finasteride now. I had a transplant with them a few years ago ( which I am very happy with) and I buy the capsules from them every few months. I think its DHT inhibitors. But a few months ago when I was buying the capsules I also bought this spray from them. They call it Finoxidil. The label says Minoxidil 5% and Finasteride 0.25% .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Quoted me 18k for a transplant, I knew it would be a mad price, only went for the Min prescription, won't be returning. Mad money for something you'd get for 6k with an airplane ticket.

He takes pics of your hair then the hairline he reccomends but does not send you these in his assessment email. Stay away unless your desperate for a Minoxidil prescription. €250 is a rip off.

It's worth it if you can claim back a large portion from your insurance as he is a listed GP, but otherwise yeah it's crazy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Has anyone used Tir na Nog in Dublin? What were your results like if so?

Did anyone here get a hormone/blood test before going on Finasteride ?

Post edited by EltonJohn69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

Nope. Was just prescribed it by Andre Nel after the consultation.

Ok. Apparently a hormonal test will show if you are at risk of getting sides. Doesnt seem easy to get one in Ireland though.

Random question, if money was no issue and you had access to any hair transplant doctor in the world, who would you go with for the procedure? I suppose what I’m asking is, who are considered the best hair transplant doctors in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 con49

Hi everyone, my experience is a little different and thought it might be useful to share. I had a consultation (costing €50) with Dr Bisanga who is based in Belgium and found it more useful than any other I’ve had (including with Dr Nel in Ireland). He identified miniaturisation of hairs in my donor area (which was really depressing at the time) and advised against a transplant at that time. He advised oral minoxidil and topical finasteride (as I did not want to take it orally) followed by a reappraisal in a year. (I also take saw palmetto/beta sitosterol). It’s been a bit more than a year now and I’ve been really happy with the results. I went from really needing to give up and shave my hair off to seeing good regrowth and no more shedding. I’m not aware of any side effects. I haven’t been back yet for another consultation - want to give it a bit longer - but I found Dr Bisanga a cut above and think this regime should be considered (I wish I had started it years ago).

• Advertisement

Anyone here using Sons ? Minox/fin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

Bisanga is one of the top names in the world.

I had 3 consultations with him over the years,travelled to London each time but the consultation itself was free.

I think he's up on €6 a graft these days? About half that if he splits the procedure with his partner Dr Kostis.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Dingaan

Do you take the full recommended dose? I received the 0.05% solution with 5% minox from hims. It says to take 1ml morning and evening. I'm leaning towards taking 0.5ml per evening for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I use 4 recommended sprays every day. I can't calculate ml.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Dingaan

Thanks. There are a lot of scary posts on Reddit, that is contrary to the literature on this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭BigProblem

https://evoke.ie/2023/11/01/entertainment/celebrity/daithi-o-se-hair-restoration

anyone have any experience of Platelet Rich Plasma treatments as per article above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Hi all. For a long time I've thought about getting a HT. Receding hair line at front and on crown, and thinning hair too. Obviously thought of abroad but have looked into Ireland too with Grow Club in particular.

Just a query for anyone who has done it. How long did you stay out of the public?! I've never shaved my head and part of the reason I'm thinking about the HT is I know my head shape just won't suit having no hair. I'm dreading it! But, I play a lot of golf, tennis and football. And I'm a teacher. Anxiety/embarrassment of what I might look like in the classroom/public/gaa pitch is worrying me. And while I could wear caps, how long before you can do so without damaging the scalp?

Loads of questions I know. Just looking for any advice. Many thanks.

I stayed out of the public for 1 week. I normally work from home anyway, but I went to the office for meetings after 1 week. Since my hair was cut to few mm, the change in the hairstyle was noticeable. But I told my co-workers that I was going for the HT, so there was no surprise.

The instructions for after-transplant care are available here, as an example:

Quote:

When can I wear a hat after a hair transplant?

You should avoid wearing hats, scarves, and any accessories on your scalp for at least three weeks following your procedure.

Limit physical activity

Excess sweating can slow down your recovery and increase your chances of developing an infection. You should avoid high-intensity exercise for at least three weeks following your procedure.

You can still engage in gentle exercises following your hair transplant procedure. Short walks, for example, are perfectly fine if you avoid sunlight and stay hydrated.

• Advertisement

The first week you need to be at home as there is a bit of after-care required and you want to avoid environmental dirt that might cause infection, and you need to stay out of the sun. From what I recall you don't wash your scalp for the first few days, bar regular cleaning of the donor areas to prevent infection, then gentle washing for a few days after.

Also sleeping can be a bit of a chore if you're like me and can't sleep on your front, so some sort of pillows strapped to your back should prevent you rolling onto the transplants if they are in the crown. You don't want to put weight on them so can't sleep directly on the implants.

And yep your sheets will be bloody.

Advertisement