Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi Timbuktoo, did you ever find your before pic by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Got the Hims bottles of serum last week. Ordered 6 months worth.

AddressPal charge was €6.50

Customs was €10.31 as Hims had put a value of €29.59 on it?! 🤣

Started to use it this weekend once my latest oral tabs of Minox and Fin were used up.

A few interesting things I found...

• I ordered 6 months so that means 2 bottles, and one of the bottles has "Use this first" on it... not sure what that means as they both have the same expiry date
    • The expiry date is circa 6 months, so you definitely can't buy these in bulk, which is prob the reason you can only order every 6 months anyway.
    • The liquid has a consistency that looks like a bottle of jizz.. there I said it 😂
    • It's quite hard to spread 1ml over the whole head, takes a lot of practice. I end up splitting my scalp into 8 sections rather than 4 as they specify, putting a drop or so on each.
    • Note that the documentation specifies that it's only supposed to be used where the thinning areas are SMALL, so maybe once you have a larger area 1ml isn't enough?

Finally, the documentation recommends using it at night, as hair needs to be dry. This assumes you shower in the mornings and then leave it to work overnight.

I'm going to contact the Hims doctors just to ask if

a) Derma rolling is advisable

b) If it spreads when under the skin or does it literally only work where the serum has gone, in which case I'll need to start splitting scalp into 12 or so sections as my hair is absorbing a lot when I massage it

For now, it's definitely more work than the oral form, as you need to massage it in, then wait 10 minutes to let it dry in before lying down in bed (so some planning is needed as part of your evening routine), then washing the hands etc. The oral is so easy, takes 1 second, that you can even do it when you're tired and crashing on the sofa from a night out 😁

Also oral would seem to have more coverage, unless of course the topical DOES spread when under the skin.

If it doesn't then it's possible there will be patchy growth if you end up not covering all affected areas.

Will see what the doc says.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I assume you're using the alcohol-free solution that comes in beige-colored bottles.

I have been using them for a while and am happy to recommend them. You get used to the regimen, and it's not hard.

I usually apply it at 8:30 p.m., then watch TV until 10 p.m. and go to bed.

It's not going to saturate the whole scalp like any other topical medication (using my medical knowledge here). My rough guess would be that it covers an area of approximately 3 cm2 to 5 cm2. I'm confident that even the makers wouldn't know the exact answer.

I've noticed that the hair growth is curly, and maybe it's an effect of the medication.

I received a bottle that says "Use First" and it expires in 4 months time.

Just to check the serum is not the minox and fin mix yeah?

Both of my bottles have the same expiry date, so maybe that's not the norm and they usually mix it up, so I guess they probably usually stick the "Use first" on the older bottles.

If you are able to spread it around you maybe have short hair? Not so easy on long hair it seems.

I'll try the multitude of dots method and see if I can get it to spread evenly.

Have emailed the docs too

• Advertisement

The serum is the alternative to the spray... I posted a few times about it 2 weeks back

Spray doesn't work for me as it will just end up in my hair

Ah great I see.

Just checked the spray bottles I started yesterday and it doesn’t seem to have a use this first sticker on either one.

Both have the same expiry date though.

6 month supply also.

Are you derma rolling or anything extra other than the serum?

Yea, my hairs are probably 5-7 cm long. But not dense hairs and relatively easy to spread around with the fingertip.

From what I understand, it's prescribed by a pharmacist rather than a medical doctor.

The "clinicians" I meant to say as that's what they call themselves :)

I used to dermaroll once a week but it was just a time consuming effort with all the sterilisation process required before and after each session, and then all I ended up doing was pulling out more hair than I was keeping (despite best efforts to avoid it by rolling in one direction) so I haven't bothered in over a year.

Have a load of 70% isopropyl bottles in the cupboard going unused lol

Clinician got back to me regarding whether topical affects more than the area it is applied:

So it's as I suspected, oral goes everywhere, topical only on the area where you massage it

Consistency is key then with topical ensuring you apply it always on the same areas, particularly when dealing with back of head/crown

• Advertisement

I was also forwarded an article confirming that the "multitude of droplets" method is actually the one they recommend, rather than just putting 25% of the serum in 4 areas

So that makes things a bit easier for me then... about 12 droplets suits me better and rubbing them all in after applying

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Just about to book Dr Turan, has anyone here used him for a transplant and where they happy ?

so the tech removes the hair and he implants and designs the hair line

the cost is not the nerving part it’s getting the work done haha

Has anyone successfully contacted hims.co.uk clinicians with any queries and got an answer back?

Two emails I’ve sent them (first one last week) and no reply……

Forhims right?

Yeah I always get quick replies.

Where are you sending the msg?

Yes, I usually receive a reply within 24 hours. Communicated with them several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Does anyone know if there is much of a cost difference between Dr Nel and HRBR?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

From a few years ago so may have changed but he was about 4e per graft and they were about 10e per graft.

For those prices you can get some of the best established surgeons in Europe and for the 10e mark the absolute top surgeons in the world.

I have no interest in seeking treatment abroad, as I firmly believe that HRBR stands among the best. A mere glance at their work reveals their ability to create natural hairlines that are age-appropriate. I've been visiting them for around 15 years and they are very good at what they do. While Dr. Nel initially appeared to be a more cost-effective option in Ireland, there is uncertainty about whether his prices have increased. Additionally, I approach online reviews with caution, as they can be unreliable. Dr. Nel may have built a satisfied clientele over the years, given his reduced presence on social media and marketing platforms. I am considering a significant hair transplant, which is why I want to carefully evaluate both options before making a decision. I believe that using a skilled surgeon for the transplant will yield better long-term results but HRBR is based in Blackrock, you get all the Douth-County-Dublin bells and whistles and I don't want to waste my money either on fluff.

I've seen lots of work from HRBR and most of it is decent to good.

However at that price you want the best in the industry and they are not or anywhere near the conversation.

I understand if you don't want to travel abroad but understand that you are limiting yourself to paying more for inferior work.This isn't like the dental equivalent where you will generally pay more in ireland but the work will be top notch.

Ireland simply doesn't have any world leading hair transplant surgeons.The best in Ireland is HRBR and you seem to have dealt with them and are happy with them so I think that's your answer with the very narrow parameters you've restricted yourself to.Im not talking about going to clinics in Turkey here either,I'm talking about the best established surgeons in the world in Canada,US,Spain,Belgium,Portugal.Some of those would be the same price as HRBC and some half the price.

When you say you've been visiting for 15 years what do you mean? Have you had a procedure? I know some people go there (and Dr Nel just for prescriptions)

Why do I consider HRBR one of the best hair clinics in the world? Personally, I haven’t seen better results from any other clinic. While some people define ‘best’ based on the sheer number of hairs transplanted, what sets HRBR apart is their commitment to natural-looking results. For older patients, they create a subtle horseshoe pattern, and for those with thinning hair, they maintain a natural density. Other clinics often prioritize volume, but Dr. Nel’s work strikes a balance. Although I stopped taking finasteride after 15 years (got it from hrbr), I should have considered a hair transplant earlier—instead, I kept buying new cars and postponing it.

Do you have links to the best surgeons in the World?

• Advertisement

Why are you considering a change from HRBR if you've been there for so long and know their work, and say the results are what you are looking for?

I understand your thinking but the things you mention are fairly routine for any decent surgeon.

I would suggest having a look at the Hair Restoration Network forum.This covers more basic surgeons through mid level and up to good and elite.It leans heavily towards the latter.

Off the top of my head some of the best in the world in no particular order Couto,Bisanga,Fererra,Feriduni,Lupanzula,Mwamba,Seithi,Hasson,Wong.Most of these will be cheaper than HRBC some the same and one or two might be more expensive now with the € v $ rate recently.

That's not a definitive list by any means but there's a lot to research there.

The HT world is an absolute minefield and I'd be very careful where you get your info from.Only clinics with hi resolution quality before and after pics should even be considered before researching further.You won't go too far wrong with above list but you might like some styles/ bed side manners/prices/locations more than others.

A good rule of thumb is to find some patients who are of similar age/balding pattern/hair calibre (as much as you can) and see their before and afters with a particular surgeon.Compiling all this info can take months or more but if you're going to do it do it right.

I hope this helps.

I feel relatively safe considering HRBR for my hair restoration, having witnessed their results firsthand and knowing they have a solid reputation beyond the usual online chatter about pricing. I prefer not to travel abroad for the procedure due to various reasons.

However, after reviewing some of the other recommendations, I find them lacking. The hairlines appear either too straight or clumpy, and some even look unrealistic. It’s disheartening to see fake-looking hairlines becoming commonplace. I stand by my initial observation that HRBR seems to be one of the few clinics doing things right. They educated me early on about what a proper hairline should look like. I don’t mean to discredit your opinion, but the examples you provided seem similar to what I’ve seen from clinics in Turkey. The hairline attached is a prime example of Jersey Shore hairlines becoming the norm.

The patient has a massive imput into their desired result.

The example you've shown wouldn't be for me as I'm mid 40s but might be age appropriate/desirable for somebody in their 20s.Some guys actually want that "Jersey Shore" look.

I've dealt with the doctor above,I can guarantee you if you walked in at my age and asked for that hairline you would be educated away from that choice.

Im a lot further down this road than you and have a lot more knowledge on the subject (I'm sorry if that sounds dismissive but that just the case)

We could argue over and back long posts all day but I'm not interested in that so I'll say we'll agree to differ and best of luck with whatever you choose.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I’ve been attending HRBR since its opening – they were the first clinic to offer this service in Ireland, true early adopters. Dr. O’Connor explained to me early on what a natural hairline should look like, and I’ve been researching ever since. For a while, I wouldn’t even consider other clinics, but I now understand that they can be expensive. It’s essential to explore new options periodically.

HRBR has a strict code of ethics, and they wouldn’t create a hairline like the one in the photo. Their commitment is not just about meeting customer preferences; it’s about what they, as proper doctors, believe is best for the patient.

While I haven’t had a transplant yet (I’ve been putting it off), I’m disappointed by what I see in that list. Many clinics still offer subpar hair transplants, and often people don’t recognise what a good hairline should look like. Interestingly, there isn’t a single hairline on the HRBR website that screams “transplant.”

I’m considering visiting Dr. Nel for a second opinion. His photos look relatively good, but possibly not on par with HRBR. If the price is significantly lower, and I like what I see during the consultation, I might reconsider. Ultimately, my main priority is restoring an age-appropriate hairline, perhaps focusing on the front initially.

Does anyone have any good recommendations about undergoing hair transplant surgery while maintaining discretion at work? Specifically, I’m seeking advice on not disclosing the procedure to my employer. I work with an excellent team, but since we interact directly with customers, I’m aware that some of my colleagues will unintentionally disregard my privacy due to their relative inexperience with the matter.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. How much time did you take off? When did your head fully recover? What excuse did you provide to work, aside from revealing that you were getting a hair transplant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

I took a week off to recover in peace. I don't need any excuses, but to protect the head from wind/heat variations, I worked from home for two weeks. After three weeks only people who know about hair transplants would be able to tell that you had one. But some people in the office asked me about the buzz cut.

Thanks Victor. I've read a few places that recovery is around two weeks. How short do you cut the hair for the transplant? Blade 1, 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

My hair was cut by a technician just before the transplant procedure, to a uniform length of few mm.

• Advertisement

Blade 1 at the donor area (usually back of lower head and sides)

so I guess one of those fade cuts all the kool kids have these days 😁

Advertisement