Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair transplant diary (ongoing)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

Don't go near that place, any clinic talking about hairs instead of grafts aren't experienced enough to spend such money with. Especially ones who also say they don't prescribe finasteride after HTs. You should look at the options abroad instead of the overly expensive places in Ireland which have less experience than their European counterparts

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

I've reached Finesteride tbh and the links to increased risks of prostate cancer are very high. I'm 38 and was told that I wouldn't go bald where I still have hair now but not sure how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,633 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

There's also the topical version of Fin to consider...less sides than the oral form

Did hair regrow after resuming Fin, or did it just keep what was left after the time off?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

I been on finesteride for 15 years with a 4 year break.There are a lot of potential sides,I've had/have some of them but thankfully none of the more serious ones like ED and depression. In all those years I've endeavoured to keep learning and educating myself on it,I've literally never heard of it linked to prostate cancer.

I'm not advocating taking it or against it.Just be aware that if you don't address it your other hair will more than likely miniaturise and eventually fall out.

There are a minority of men who are effected by MPB and then never progress past a NW 3 or 4,you could be in this group but it's statistically unlikely and have no way of knowing really.

Anyway,I'd strongly suggest you educate yourself on all aspects of the surgery, meds,what to look for in a good/ bad clinic before jumping into anything

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill guys. I'm booked into Santry for a second opinion the end of January so will make a decision after that consultation as to who to go with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭HBC08

Didn't really recover,maybe a slight improvement.

I didn't have a choice though as was trying for kids at the time.It was frustrating seeing it thin out but some things are more important than hair

aye.. although sperm only takes 3 months to regenerate so it could be possible to only stop for a few months, and then ensure max motility taking vitamins like Selenium (I've done too much research into this lol)

Topical Fin is also something I'm looking at for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hairs instead grafts, no recommendation of finasteride, links between fin and prostate cancer and claiming to be able to predict a patient's future hair loss?

It's amazing that someone can become a doctor (if this spoofer is indeed a doctor) and still talk absolute nonsense.

Hence why I'm asking has anyone ever gone here before, it's open years so must be someone here who has used them.

• Advertisement

I've never heard them mentioned here to be fair

I find it odd they claim they are "Dublin's favourite", when I would expect to have seen at least one mention

Some Google reviews seem to be fairly bad too

Yeah there are very mixed reviews but that appears to be everywhere, some are happy and some aren't but I think that comes down to the individual a lot of time time. Not sure what they could do wrong though I've seen a few things on Facebook and Twitter of people who got it done there and the results looked very good to me but I'd love to actually hear from someone where what their experience was.

The main thing that can go wrong is that they harvest a lot of grafts from your donor area but don't implant them correctly, and this can mean you need to go back again to get a "top up". Ailesbury actually told me the same thing, and they said it was "expected" that you would go back to get further density done later.

The problem with this is that you only have a limited number of times you can extract from the donor area before your donor area starts to look like it's thinning itself, so really you only get a max of 2 tries before your donor limit is reached.

So it's best to maximise the likelihood of a positive result in as few sessions as possible as you only get 2 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LukeAJN

It will be interesting to see if Growclub take much of their business, I’m pretty sure they are in the beacon also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi all,

I am 14 months post-hair transplant.

I have used Fin + Min topical spray for the last 12 months. Quite happy with the results.

I wish to come off Fin + Min spray. But worried that I will loose hair.

Should I give it a try now? Any suggestions please.

Unfortunately you need to maintain Fin for life... until something better is invented!

First time I've heard of Growclub, reviews look great I've just messaged them. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

finasteride is used to prevent prostate cancer as far as Im aware or treat it not cause it.

SWOG published the first PCPT results in 2003. Investigators reported a significant, positive result: finasteride reduced prostate cancer risk by 25 percent. But the study also cast a shadow on the drug, the first 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor which targets and blocks the action of androgens like testosterone and is commonly used to treat lower urinary tract problems in men and also male pattern baldness. The results showed that finasteride increased the number of high-grade prostate cancers – a finding that resulted in a drug label warning posted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. That warning persists to this day.

https://www.swog.org/news-events/news/2019/01/23/final-verdict-finasteride#:~:text=The%20results%20showed%20that%20finasteride,warning%20persists%20to%20this%20day.

What I took from it was that it lowers risk of prostate cancer, but if you DO get it, it's higher grade cancer.

3.5% of men taking Finasteride got the high grade cancer

vs

3% of men taking a placebo got high grade cancer

0.5% difference... I like those odds ;)

Wonder if there are studies on the topical variant of Finasteride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I think Finasteride was originally used to treat an enlarged prostate, not necessarily prostate cancer.

For what it's worth, I had a consultation at Dr. Nel's about 2 years ago and was told that whenever I'm getting my bloods/PSA levels checked by my GP I should mention that I'm on Finasteride. If you're on Finasteride it can lead to your PSA levels to appear lower than they actually are; so if your GP doesn't know you're on Finasteride then the signs of prostate cancer could be missed.

I was told the general rule is to double your PSA level results if you're on Finasteride to get a more accurate representation.

Am I right in saying that Finasteride is for preventing future hair loss of the hairs you already have? So if you are bald on top already there is no need for it if getting a full transplant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭victor8600

Yes, and no. Taking Fin will prevent the transplanted hair from falling out too.

How long is the transplanted hair expected to last with it? s in I'm 38 so if I got 30 years without taking Fin I would be more than happy

Just ordered another 6 month supply of topical Finn and Min from Hims UK.

what's the price for that, including delivery to Ireland?

It was 150ish pounds. Plus another 20€ to get visa AddressPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

or Thems ?

• Advertisement

They don't have topical Fin + Min combo. And this combo helped me very well.

Advertisement