Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Brides/Grooms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

ChewChew wrote: »
    I watched say yes to the dress last Friday for the first time. I actually had tears from laughter. The most ridiculous nonsense I've ever seen in my life :D

I'm not going to lie, watching it makes me feel far better about my life. I saw one dress going for $24,000. :eek::eek: Like, come on. It'd want to be made of actual gold and angel tears to be worth that!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm not going to lie, watching it makes me feel far better about my life. I saw one dress going for $24,000. :eek::eek: Like, come on. It'd want to be made of actual gold and angel tears to be worth that!

Angel tears :D

The one I watched, zelda was 46, and had never met her husband to be. They had an online relationship but they haven't met although he did go to school with her sister but she hasn't seen him since 1987!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

So.

Guess who got to be the Celebrant for the FIRST EVER SAME SEX WEDDING in Smock Alley, in the full 500 years it's stood there?!

Yes! MEEEEEEE!!!!

And it was fabulous! Highly recommend the venue to anyone on the hunt, the seats were arranged in a circular layout and it was stunning. A little more to think about from the celebrant's perspective in terms of addressing everyone, but I'd highly recommend.

Anyone else planning to use it?

:-)

We looked at Smock Alley but it was just far too expensive for us.

I really like circular seat arrangements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

We looked at Smock Alley but it was just far too expensive for us.

I really like circular seat arrangements though.

DO you know I never thought to ask the guy how much it cost! I'm extra curious now! ;-)

Have you decided your venue yet?!

• Advertisement

fannymagee wrote: »
    DO you know I never thought to ask the guy how much it cost! I'm extra curious now! ;-)

Have you decided your venue yet?!

We're going to the Morrison. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭hotmatottie10

your outfit idea sounds lovely baby and crumble. I love colour personally so i can just picture it :D Im defo going to add some colour to my dress or outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Outfit definitely sounds cool and funky baby and crumble. Will your other half like a dress ?

Outfit definitely sounds cool and funky baby and crumble. Will your other half like a dress ?

Thanks guys. Yeah, she's more of a dress kinda girl. I think currently the running total of dresses for the day is at 2 for her, however that may indeed change. :p

I've never felt comfortable in dresses or really in feminine clothing (so a womens suit isn't really going to cut the mustard either!). I figured now's the time to go all out on some really glam versions of what I wear on nights out. Problem is finding a tailor who "gets" what I want. You know? I don't want a feminine cut, but I also don't want to hide my body shape. I love being a woman- I'm just a slightly not traditional kind. But a lot of tailors and alterations places will balk at the idea, or just have no experience doing what I want them to do. So it'll take time to find the right thing.

2 dresses very nice! I'm sure you will find a good tailor. You'll probably know yourself, you'll get a vibe when you meet them whether they'll be the right person for the job :-)

• Advertisement

I bought my mini bridesmaid/flowergirl dresses in Monsoon Today, they have a 50% sale

I bought my mini bridesmaid/flowergirl dresses in Monsoon Today, they have a 50% sale

Nothing on the website :-(

Picked up my engagement ring today and it's still too big! Entirely my own fault too and I'm raging. The jeweller was like "that's your size" when trying on samples rings for sizing and I insisted it felt too tight and wanted it a size bigger. It's literally falling off my finger and I have nobody but myself to blame. :( Note to self- trust the experts!!! Probably a good lesson to learn throughout this whole process!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Picked up my engagement ring today and it's still too big! Entirely my own fault too and I'm raging. The jeweller was like "that's your size" when trying on samples rings for sizing and I insisted it felt too tight and wanted it a size bigger. It's literally falling off my finger and I have nobody but myself to blame. :( Note to self- trust the experts!!! Probably a good lesson to learn throughout this whole process!!!

When I got my engagement ring I had to get it resized twice on the same day. It took half an hour each time, as they could do it in the shop I bought it from. You might consider taking it to a jeweller with a workshop so they can fix it pretty much on the spot.

EDIT: I should probably mention that the reason they resized it twice was because I also didn't listen to the jeweller! I think I was scared I might not be able to take it off. Completely unfounded fear, but still. :o

Nothing on the website :-(

its nice to see the dresses in person. worth a pop into a shop, but you get distracted by the stuff not on sale :p I like colour so it was just up my street.

Is anyone else having more than one dress?
    It's looking like I'll be making a slimmer dress and then a big removable skirt because I can't make up my mind on what I want. :o The plan is to have the overskirt on for the ceremony and then remove it for the reception.
    Is that too much? I feel like I need validation on this one!

Also, anyone having a dress that isn't white? :P

Is anyone else having more than one dress?
    It's looking like I'll be making a slimmer dress and then a big removable skirt because I can't make up my mind on what I want. :o The plan is to have the overskirt on for the ceremony and then remove it for the reception.
    Is that too much? I feel like I need validation on this one!

Also, anyone having a dress that isn't white? :P

Yep, my fiancée is planning two. A 50's tea dress and a slinkier velvet number. I'm planning on swapping out my shirt and bow tie for a different colour and maybe a proper cravat (ie not a scrunch tie. Those are NOT cravats!).

Also, anyone having a dress that isn't white?

My dress is 'almond'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

June 2017 here, have venue and solemniser sorted and that's it :) Getting cracking with music etc now.

Not really stressing over it I want it to be relaxed as poss.

Hopefully going wedding dress shopping soon also. Looking for something boho / a bit different as my venue isn't your typical hotel/function room type

I havent a clue to be honest what i want in a style of a dress. I Think i will look at the end of the summer and just work on shifting some weight. Blue was the traditional color for wedding dresses in celtic times. But i wont be going blue, a traditional white dress isnt me. So we will have to see. Ive entered a few competitions just for the crack but im skeptical about it all. Id like to get my teeth whitened for the big day, id like that.

• Advertisement

It's definitely not an easy decision!

I've decided to go with a sample sale dress most likely. I just can't justify paying thousands for a dress that will be on for a few hours, and I do love my fashion but to me the money could be better spend elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

hey everyone, :D I'm shocked how organised some of you guys are, myself and my fiance are aiming for june or july next year, we have made appointments to view two venues when he is over in may and I've been in touch with a few celebrants but nothing set in stone yet, going to be an interesting time as my fiance is american and lives in Texas and I'm here in Ireland.

wow that's amazing! have you always been long distance? fair play to ye can't be easy sometimes :)

My dress has a keyhole back and the last 2 days I've been worrying if it could be altered smaller. The lady said it could but looking at the picture of it I don't see how. Probably too late to change the size now

Can someone please tell me what a wedding coin is please. A jeweler mentioned it and I just smiled and agreed

My dress has a keyhole back and the last 2 days I've been worrying if it could be altered smaller. The lady said it could but looking at the picture of it I don't see how. Probably too late to change the size now

If you mean make the dress smaller, she'll probably take it in slightly at a few different seams, which shouldn't make much of a difference to the back while still making it fit well. Unless you're absolutely swimming in the dress, or the back is ridiculously delicate and thin at the sides, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Depends on the lace motif and the shape of the keyhole back, but I would assume your seamstress has thought about this!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Can someone please tell me what a wedding coin is please. A jeweler mentioned it and I just smiled and agreed

It's something the groom presents his wife with a as a symbol of their coming together.

The gift symbolizes his willingness to provide, protect and care.

It's usually a silver coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Loughc wrote: »
    It's something the groom presents his wife with a as a symbol of their coming together.

Have never heard of this! When does this happen?? And does it happen in all weddings?'

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

slingerz wrote: »
    Have never heard of this! When does this happen?? And does it happen in all weddings?'

It happens during the ceremony itself. It happens as part of a church wedding I'm not sure if it happens in all or not most likely will depend on the priest.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote:

Loughc wrote:

Loughc wrote:

Thanks! Not sure I'd like this. Sounds a bit old school to me

Advertisement