Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Danny2580

I upgraded from S4 to SU6. SU6 a superior and cheaper phone in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Soarer wrote: »
    Evening guys.

Mrs. S currently has a Galaxy S4 and is hinting at a change. Would this be a decent upgrade, or should I maybe look towards one of the Moto models? Or maybe even a Chinese something?
    all brands seem to be manufactured in China nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

FrostyJim wrote: »
    No I used Irish recovery to install the Turkish rom, when the android is on his back.
    Try this, its for a nexus but it should be the same for most/all androids

How to boot into recovery mode on a Google Nexus device

If you have a device like the Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 running stock Android then these are the steps required to boot into Recovery mode:

Hold down the Power key and select Power off. If the touchscreen is unresponsive then you can simply keep holding down the Power key for several seconds until the device turns off.
    Press and hold the Power key and the Volume down key. You should see the Android mascot on his back, a bunch of information about your device, and Start at the top right of the screen.
    To navigate through the menu options you use the Volume up and Volume down keys. The Power key is used to make a selection. Press Volume down twice and you should see Recovery mode in red up at the top right, press the Power key to select it.
    The white Google logo will pop up followed by the Android mascot on his back again with the words No command underneath.
    Press and hold the Power key and the Volume up key for around three seconds and then let go of the Volume up key, but keep pressing Power.
    You should see the Android system recovery options pop up at the top of the screen. Use the Volume keys to highlight the options and the Power key to select the one you want.

Phew! - i found out what the recycling 'installing update' message was - it was because i still had the sd card inserted in the phone. when i removed the sd card from the phone and then managed to go into recovery and then reboot phone and then viola! - phone started - thank god for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Phew! - i found out what the recycling 'installing update' message was - it was because i still had the sd card inserted in the phone. when i removed the sd card from the phone and then managed to go into recovery and then reboot phone and then viola! - phone started - thank god for that!

Good to hear you got sorted. Wouldn't have thought of that immediately either.

Good to hear you got sorted. Wouldn't have thought of that immediately either.

Thanks, must have been trying to keep getting the update from the sdcard and thats why it kept cycling like that and not starting properly.

I have just gone into 'about' 'software update' and a error message of 'system updates is not complete, package mismatch' -

right, i might give it another go, download the turkey rom again, and put it on another micro sd card - i dont want to be beaten! ... but if that dont work again I am just gonna have to wait for the irish update to come along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

The square button on the bottom right has stopped working.
    Turning the phone on and off doesn't fix it.
    Neither does letting the battery run down completely.
    Not sure if a factory reset would cure this.
    Any ideas?

Zebbedee wrote: »
    The square button on the bottom right has stopped working.
    Turning the phone on and off doesn't fix it.
    Neither does letting the battery run down completely.
    Not sure if a factory reset would cure this.
    Any ideas?

Factory reset is worth a try, if not I'd say return it and ask them to fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

FrostyJim how are ya fixed for a spot of re-rooting?! :o :pac:

What is this tempered-glass that people mention? Is it just a sheet of glass? What is the purpose of it?

FrostyJim how are ya fixed for a spot of re-rooting?! :o :pac:

What is this tempered-glass that people mention? Is it just a sheet of glass? What is the purpose of it?

1. Download Wondershare MobileGo and use the one click root option it has.

2.Tempered Glass is just a screen protector, I don't use one but I can see why people would if they stored their phones with keys etc. Have mine around 4 months now and touch wood no scratches yet.

Ok, im reporting back here to say i have (sucessfully?) upgraded to the Turkish lolipop 5.1 rom for the VFSU6.

OK so i was a bit of an eejit in the way I made a Titanium Backup when I was on 5.0 just before DL 5.1 of all apps and settings - stupidly I saved this onto the phones internal memory and did not back it up onto the external card or PC or cloud and just for those who dont know when you carry out the 5.1 update it wipes your internal memory! - yep so that means I have to get my phone back to how it was/felt before I upgraded it. Thankfully contacts and all that other stuff were all saved because they back up to the google account.

OK this 5.1 is supposed to address bugs in 5.0 .... within one minute of setting up the phone (as a new phone I set it up) I had error messages about google play services had stopped!! - what the hell!

Phone seems to start quicker with 5.1 but not much still takes a long time to get from white 'powered by android' until you get to 'vodafone lighthouse' bootup logo. - I see now in Developer Options there is a setting saying 'enable quickboot mode' and i dont think I recognised that in 5.0 so I will give that a try.

I have lost root, but I thought that would happen anyway - so i have to root it again, I will do that later.

I thought 5.1 was supposed to have the facility in the settings to remove carrier label top left of screen now, but I still cannot find that setting in 5.1 - maybe its in MM instead and Im getting mixed up.

All in all personally myself I cannot see any other benefits really of upgrading to 5.1 and me personally all the headache it has caused me I think if i could turn back time and knowing what I know now personally would have left mine as it was on 5.0 - I suppose though if its true that 5.1 has unlocked bootloader and can accept other roms thats a plus because I am going to keep an eye on cyanogenmod for this phone.

If anyone else have found any more benefits/uses to upgrading to 5.1 that I have missed please let me know.

• Advertisement

OK I have managed to update this phone to 5.1 (Turkish stock rom) eventually and posted a more detailed report about it on here:

Ok, im reporting back here to say i have (sucessfully?) upgraded to the Turkish lolipop 5.1 rom for the VFSU6.

OK so i was a bit of an eejit in the way I made a Titanium Backup when I was on 5.0 just before DL 5.1 of all apps and settings - stupidly I saved this onto the phones internal memory and did not back it up onto the external card or PC or cloud and just for those who dont know when you carry out the 5.1 update it wipes your internal memory! - yep so that means I have to get my phone back to how it was/felt before I upgraded it. Thankfully contacts and all that other stuff were all saved because they back up to the google account.

OK this 5.1 is supposed to address bugs in 5.0 .... within one minute of setting up the phone (as a new phone I set it up) I had error messages about google play services had stopped!! - what the hell!

Phone seems to start quicker with 5.1 but not much still takes a long time to get from white 'powered by android' until you get to 'vodafone lighthouse' bootup logo. - I see now in Developer Options there is a setting saying 'enable quickboot mode' and i dont think I recognised that in 5.0 so I will give that a try.

I have lost root, but I thought that would happen anyway - so i have to root it again, I will do that later.

I thought 5.1 was supposed to have the facility in the settings to remove carrier label top left of screen now, but I still cannot find that setting in 5.1 - maybe its in MM instead and Im getting mixed up.

All in all personally myself I cannot see any other benefits really of upgrading to 5.1 and me personally all the headache it has caused me I think if i could turn back time and knowing what I know now personally would have left mine as it was on 5.0 - I suppose though if its true that 5.1 has unlocked bootloader and can accept other roms thats a plus because I am going to keep an eye on cyanogenmod for this phone.

If anyone else have found any more benefits/uses to upgrading to 5.1 that I have missed please let me know.

I admit it was unfortunate that you saved your backup to internal memory but it was kind of your own fault.

Admittedly they should have sorted the google play services before release but it's easily fixed
    ISSUES:
    If you get a problem with google play services crashing
    Download this apk here

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-8-4-89-2428711-238-android-apk-download/
    Then go to
    Settings > Apps > ALL
    Google play services > CLEAR CACHE

Google services Framework > FORCE STOP, CLEAR DATA, CLEAR CACHE

Apart from that I'm finding 5.1.1 very smooth.

Edit: Carrier name is removable in stock android 5.1 roms but Vodafone have branded this and taken the option out. It can be removed however using the custom text module for xposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

dulpit wrote: »
    Lads,

I have an M7, it's getting time to move on (have had it since launch day, battery is rubbish, I get random slowdowns, the screen is separating from the body - which is my fault to be fair). How does the Ultra 6 compare to the HTC? Based on CEX pricing, I could sell my current phone for €126-132, so the actual cost of this new phone would be ~€40. But I don't want to get a clunky phone, and I noticed somebody above mention that the current OTA would be the last for this phone, there'll be no marshmallow to be had?

I did a quick check of XDA, what's this phone called there out of curiosity?

I came from an M7 too. Phone is great I'm easily getting two days out of one charge and id use it non stop when i'm not in work. I love the bigger screen and its quicker than my M7 was.

This is the first phone I've bought that wasn't a big brand flagship and I'm delighted with it, Don't think I'll ever be able to justify paying 5-600 on a phone again.

Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭karlyk1

Cionn wrote: »
    I have broken the screen on mine, does anyone know anywhere that will repair it for me in Dublin. I tried it myself once before and suffice to say I will leave it to the professionals going forward.

Thanks

C

Try the Asian guys down in Talbot Street ('GSM something-or-other') that I posted about elsewhere in this thread. There's two shops close to each other, but it's the big white one with loads of phones etc in it. One of the guys actually has an Ultra 6 himself, and it was the only place in Dublin that I could see that had a perfect fit cover for the phone. Might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭dahat

OK I have managed to update this phone to 5.1 (Turkish stock rom) eventually and posted a more detailed report about it on here:

Updated the Irish Rom to a Turkish Rom, always likely to meet some sort of issues was it?

dahat wrote: »
    Updated the Irish Rom to a Turkish Rom, always likely to meet some sort of issues was it?

Issue wasn't really that the rom was turkish, just that zte had bundled an outdated version of play services in the rom.

Other than that it's plain sailing for most people updating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm gonna wait for the Irish 5.1 ota, couldn't be bothered after what people are saying with the Turkish ROM downloading it and flashing it on.
    I'll pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I hope the Irish update will be out very soon.

Issue wasn't really that the rom was turkish, just that zte had bundled an outdated version of play services in the rom.

Other than that it's plain sailing for most people updating.

Is the outdated Play Services even an issue? Play Services will update to the latest in the background (which probably causes a few apps to FC), then everything should be fine.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Is the outdated Play Services even an issue? Play Services will update to the latest in the background (which probably causes a few apps to FC), then everything should be fine.

In this instance it doesn't seem to auto update, but yes its a very minor issue. I updated mine and had mine up and running,rooted, and all apps back the way they were in about 20 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I'm gonna wait for the Irish 5.1 ota, couldn't be bothered after what people are saying with the Turkish ROM downloading it and flashing it on.
    I'll pass...

Yeah, I think I'm happy to let Turkey be the soak test.

ah that must be it then, once i update google play it should be fine then and not get this google play services error message then.

I came from an M7 too. Phone is great I'm easily getting two days out of one charge and id use it non stop when i'm not in work. I love the bigger screen and its quicker than my M7 was.

This is the first phone I've bought that wasn't a big brand flagship and I'm delighted with it, Don't think I'll ever be able to justify paying 5-600 on a phone again.

Go for it.

Well ZTE could be classed as big brand I think - I had a ZTE phone years ago and it was a good one, so when i heard that the VFSU6 was a vodafone badged ZTE phone , that was the deal maker with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Ebay link in the op is gone,is there another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Go for it.

Thanks, picking one up tomorrow, battery life is the big draw...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭mopi

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Thanks for that, I will try and drop in on my way home this evening. Loving the phone so far and don't want to change.
    Thanks again

C
    karlyk1 wrote: »
    Try the Asian guys down in Talbot Street ('GSM something-or-other') that I posted about elsewhere in this thread. There's two shops close to each other, but it's the big white one with loads of phones etc in it. One of the guys actually has an Ultra 6 himself, and it was the only place in Dublin that I could see that had a perfect fit cover for the phone. Might be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

Factory reset is worth a try, if not I'd say return it and ask them to fix.

Factory reset didn't solve problem. Back to the shop so. Hope they don't start saying that I've voided warranty by unlocking. Anybody else successfully claimed warranty after unlocking?

• Advertisement

Zebbedee wrote: »
    Factory reset didn't solve problem. Back to the shop so. Hope they don't start saying that I've voided warranty by unlocking. Anybody else successfully claimed warranty after unlocking?

Just don't mention it and it won't come up. Bring it in with no sim inside.

Advertisement