Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Do you also find that in low light the camera movement is very choppy, whereas it's fluid as it should be when it's bright?

GvidoR wrote: »
    Do you also find that in low light the camera movement is very choppy, whereas it's fluid as it should be when it's bright?

That's pretty normal with a mobile. You're essentially seeing the reduced shutter speed in action....this is also what will cause motion blur in low light.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

the reviews of the camera is the main reason i've held off buying. otherwise looks like a great bit of kit.

Scruff wrote: »
    the reviews of the camera is the main reason i've held off buying. otherwise looks like a great bit of kit.

I got some nice pictures with it. :)

22888204331_ac3edf7625_b.jpg

22458723787_5262398057_b.jpg

22851235196_381d6245f5_b.jpg

20924266100_56cf1f38f8_b.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd rate the camera highly too, for the price of course. Usually phones in this class have ****e cameras, but this one is quite good. Not at the same level as the latest high end devices, but it is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

In the correct lighting environment the camera takes a decent picture, good colour and depth.
    Unfortunately in low light everything goes wrong. Pictures lack depth and colour, clarity suffers a lot too.
    Side by side comparison with the other half's lg g3 only highlights the problem.
    For the money however its more than acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

THe camera flash seems to just wash everything out, so you get this white blur over the whole picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

This phone is really starting to get on my nerves now grrrrr. I love it but I hate it! It's really difficult to tap anything, it takes 4/5 taps to get anywhere. I still don't really know how the sleep thing works, the options for it are stupid, battering the screen still doesn't seem to wake it up, it goes into pitch black darkness so fast and for so long that sometimes I don't even be bothered trying to tap the thing to wake it up to use it.

And I much prefer old-style texting where ya have 3 letters and a number on the same individual key, this qwerty keyboard is ridiculous for posting online from a phone. Texting isn't great either but that might be okay as there's a lot of texting apps to choose from.

Complete action using Call+ or Phone is driving me bonkers I don't understand what it is. I get what say, asking me if I want to use Google or another Browser is for when I go on the net, but sometimes the Call+ or Phone thing comes up if I open an app or go to browse net. I don't understand what Call+ is.

Also yesterday phone was saying Call Forwarding enabled, today it's saying SIM only but that might be a Service Provider thing, even though I'm with Vodafone so I don't know about that.

Also I don't know how you're supposed to get 2 days charge out of it, I charged it last night for 5-6 hours, I would have had it plugged in for longer whilst using it earlier today, but even if being on the net has used its battery, shouldn't it have charged it a bit while it was plugged in at the same time? Have it plugged out now for the last few hours and battery is now down to 15% saying it's low, and it seemed to decrease pretty rapidly too, it does show percentage and time left but I'd question whether that's a true reflection. Just like a feicing Laptop saying there's 3 hours left when there's only 15 minutes left and the thing lags and dies off. Pure gammy. THIS IS SHYTE!

Also when you're holding it you're covering the sound at the back of the phone it would be much better at the top. Kinda struggling to find good reason for having bought the thing so I am. :/

I plugged it in at 5.40pm charging at 1% so we'll see now where this 2-day magic comes out of.

This phone is really starting to get on my nerves now grrrrr. I love it but I hate it! It's really difficult to tap anything, it takes 4/5 taps to get anywhere. I still don't really know how the sleep thing works, the options for it are stupid, battering the screen still doesn't seem to wake it up, it goes into pitch black darkness so fast and for so long that sometimes I don't even be bothered trying to tap the thing to wake it up to use it.

And I much prefer old-style texting where ya have 3 letters and a number on the same individual key, this qwerty keyboard is ridiculous for posting online from a phone. Texting isn't great either but that might be okay as there's a lot of texting apps to choose from.

Complete action using Call+ or Phone is driving me bonkers I don't understand what it is. I get what say, asking me if I want to use Google or another Browser is for when I go on the net, but sometimes the Call+ or Phone thing comes up if I open an app or go to browse net. I don't understand what Call+ is.

Also yesterday phone was saying Call Forwarding enabled, today it's saying SIM only but that might be a Service Provider thing, even though I'm with Vodafone so I don't know about that.

Also I don't know how you're supposed to get 2 days charge out of it, I charged it last night for 5-6 hours, I would have had it plugged in for longer whilst using it earlier today, but even if being on the net has used its battery, shouldn't it have charged it a bit while it was plugged in at the same time? Have it plugged out now for the last few hours and battery is now down to 15% saying it's low, and it seemed to decrease pretty rapidly too, it does show percentage and time left but I'd question whether that's a true reflection. Just like a feicing Laptop saying there's 3 hours left when there's only 15 minutes left and the thing lags and dies off. Pure gammy. THIS IS SHYTE!

Also when you're holding it you're covering the sound at the back of the phone it would be much better at the top. Kinda struggling to find good reason for having bought the thing so I am. :/

I plugged it in at 5.40pm charging at 1% so we'll see now where this 2-day magic comes out of.

Some people just should stick with the old Nokia's :p

When there is more than one app that can perform a task, android gives you the choice. Just choose the one you want and select always, you won't be asked again.

Regarding the keyboard, my girlfriend took a long time to move from the old number keypad, and that was about 2 years ago! Personally I swipe, and love it, but there are loads of keyboards on the play store that would have the keypad style functionality you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Need a kiss?

The texting issue you have, well Smart phones aren't for you as all are laidlaid out like so.

The tap to wake to wake function, just disable it, problem solved.

I get 7-9 hrs from the battery and I'm a very hard user of mobile Internet so cannot understand your issue. The battery is as good as you can get for a smartphone IMO. You can get stronger but they cost more, alot more to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Get a young tech savvy family memeber to go through things with you. All the problems listed above are easily fixed apart from the getting old style texting back. You bought the wrong phone if you want buttons!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I got an old Nokia e51 out of the drawer the other day been stuck in there for 2 years or summat - just for the craic i thought i would press the power button - it only bloody lit up an had some battery life in it! lol :-)

it aint an age thing why you cant get on with it is it? - without being rude or impertinent what age bracket you in @ kissmequick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

dahat wrote: »
    Need a kiss?

The texting issue you have, well Smart phones aren't for you as all are laidlaid out like so.

The tap to wake to wake function, just disable it, problem solved.

I get 7-9 hrs from the battery and I'm a very hard user of mobile Internet so cannot understand your issue. The battery is as good as you can get for a smartphone IMO. You can get stronger but they cost more, alot more to buy.

How do you disable tap to wake?

Thanks

ezra_pound wrote: »
    How do you disable tap to wake?

Thanks

In display settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

My first model was the same as yours, its a faulty battery.. If you bought it in the last 21 days they have to replace it on the spot so don't accept the rep trying to say it needs to go off for testing.
    This one doesn't last 2 days either mind you but I at least get through a full day with average use (calls, texts & web browsing).

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

I have this phone and love it. The missus's Samsung S3 has developed awful problems so suggested this. She feels it's too big so I suggested the Smart Prime 6. Can this be unlocked in the same way using the guy on Ebay.

Also how does it compare to the Moto G 3rd Gen?

She's stuck in a two year contract with three until Sept next year.... and they'll give her the Moto phone for 35 quid...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    I have this phone and love it. The missus's Samsung S3 has developed awful problems so suggested this. She feels it's too big so I suggested the Smart Prime 6. Can this be unlocked in the same way using the guy on Ebay.

She's stuck in a two year contract with three until Sept next year.... and they'll give her the Moto phone for 35 quid...

The Prime has a lesser spec compared to this, so I'm not sure how it performs. It's definitely not the best spec from memory. The smart ultra is the sweet spot imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The Prime is apparently a decent budget phone, but almost impossible to unlock, and not close to the spec of the Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Anyone know if an iPhone 6 case will fit this? Looking for a leather bumper case but can't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Anyone know if an iPhone 6 case will fit this? Looking for a leather bumper case but can't get one.

No, too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Vodafone sell their own "leather" flip case for it but it's €20.

Have you tried amazon?

Also try mobilefun who I have found to be good for cases in the past.

If all else fails there's AliExpress.

fdevine wrote: »
    Vodafone sell their own "leather" flip case for it but it's €20.

Have you tried eBay?

Also try mobilefun who I have found to be good for cases in the past.

If all else fails there's AliExpress.

Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Ive bought this phone from amazon.co.uk, can anybody suggest an unlock code seller from ebay please thanks? I know there are many but wondering will the seller have to be specific to the U.K?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Ive bought this phone from amazon.co.uk, can anybody suggest an unlock code seller from ebay please thanks? I know there are many but wondering will the seller have to be specific to the U.K?

€3.21 seems to be the cheapest at the moment.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vodafone-SMART-ULTRA-6-Unlock-Code-Vodafone-UK-Ireland-Portugal-INSTANT-SERVICE-/121668096113

No, it doesn't. Just get the cheapest one with good feedback. Worst case scenario, open a case and get your money back, however the chances of anything going wrong are extremely slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

I've no complaints with my Cotech case. It's great.

is the Cotech a good snug fit all around the SU6, and does it add much bulk?

Hitchens wrote: »

+1 for the cothech one. No it doesn't add any noticable bulk and fits well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Hitchens wrote: »

Another + for the cotech case. Adds extra grip and fits nice and snugly on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭vectra

zaphodbeeb wrote: »

Have you tried cyanogenmod on the sg3?
    should make it much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I have this phone for the last few months thanks to this thread and cannot fault it bar the following.
    1)I use messenger for texting but I sometimes don't receive texts for a day or so and the only way to sort this is to restart the phone.

Has anyone got a longterm fix for this..?

2)The phone looks for a Sw update every week or so but every time I try to update it says (failed update)

Can I download the latest Sw update and update it from my SD Card...?

Maybe both of the above are related...?

Other than that its a great phone with super battery life for a smart phone.
    Its super fast and is pretty tough as it spends most of it life in my overall pockets... :-).

BTW its running on the Vodafone network.

Advertisement