Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

ah flip it - tried going into phone settings and about and it couldnt find 'update.zip' even though I copied the file onto the internal and external SD Card so fired up team win and went to flash it and it failed - had error message
    E: error executing updater binary in zip

From what I can see that error message means that the ROM name does not match the name of the phone so it stops/fails with an error

Too tired now, will have another go tomorrow.

This is what it means if you have an error of that kind on a oneplusone phone:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/fix-e-error-executing-updater-binary-in-zip.311160/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Just downloading it from the net now, taking ages but it is a huge 1gb (big size for a phone rom?)

Only about 100MB bigger 5.0.2 but it has all those extra bloat apps that our ROMs didn't have so the its probably in identical size after they're removed

ah flip it - tried going into phone settings and about and it couldnt find 'update.zip' even though I copied the file onto the internal and external SD Card so fired up team win and went to flash it and it failed - had error message
    E: error executing updater binary in zip

From what I can see that error message means that the ROM name does not match the name of the phone so it stops/fails with an error

Too tired now, will have another go tomorrow.

This is what it means if you have an error of that kind on a oneplusone phone:
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/fix-e-error-executing-updater-binary-in-zip.311160/
    You need to flash stock recovery first, then flash the Turkish ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,417 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Lads,

I have an M7, it's getting time to move on (have had it since launch day, battery is rubbish, I get random slowdowns, the screen is separating from the body - which is my fault to be fair). How does the Ultra 6 compare to the HTC? Based on CEX pricing, I could sell my current phone for €126-132, so the actual cost of this new phone would be ~€40. But I don't want to get a clunky phone, and I noticed somebody above mention that the current OTA would be the last for this phone, there'll be no marshmallow to be had?

I did a quick check of XDA, what's this phone called there out of curiosity?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

corsav6 wrote: »
    Another + for the cotech case. Adds extra grip and fits nice and snugly on the phone.

Are ye referring to the Cotech gel case or the leather cover? And wheres the best place to buy ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

How long should a full charge last with light use?

I got a Gel Case Cover, mini Stylus Pen, Screen Protector, and Polishing Cloth on Ebay all for around €6!

I LOVE the Cover! Well I guess it is a gel mould but I thought it would be loose and sticking out at the edges but it looks really good to me. It's not awkward or anything at all. It looks and feels like part of the Phone itself. It looks so sleek! And the side grips are such a brilliant brilliant idea. :) Actually the sides of the Cover in some way seem to stiffen the Volume and Power buttons which in turn make them easier to use. I don't know if that was intended! Or if it's just me but I find them easier to now use with Cover on rather than flailing about for them with no Cover on at all! Maybe it's just me.

I picked up my old phone there one of the days and it feels so small!! It's amazing how you get used to holding something the size of a Pencil-case in your hand after a while!

Now I just need to root it or whatever needs doing to create more space and take off half the crap I'll never use and don't know how to use, and find somebody to buy my Ipod and I'll be happy enough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

How long should a full charge last with light use?

I got a Gel Case Cover, mini Stylus Pen, Screen Protector, and Polishing Cloth on Ebay all for around €6!

I LOVE the Cover! Well I guess it is a gel mould but I thought it would be loose and sticking out at the edges but it looks really good to me. It's not awkward or anything at all. It looks and feels like part of the Phone itself. It looks so sleek! And the side grips are such a brilliant brilliant idea. :) Actually the sides of the Cover in some way seem to stiffen the Volume and Power buttons which in turn make them easier to use. I don't know if that was intended! Or if it's just me but I find them easier to now use with Cover on rather than flailing about for them with no Cover on at all! Maybe it's just me.

I picked up my old phone there one of the days and it feels so small!! It's amazing how you get used to holding something the size of a Pencil-case in your hand after a while!

Now I just need to root it or whatever needs doing to create more space and take off half the crap I'll never use and don't know how to use, and find somebody to buy my Ipod and I'll be happy enough! :)

Try CeX for selling your iPod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Oh cheers hadn't heard of that, will do, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Any issues with speakers on it? My volume seems to be louder in back of phone rather than front?? As if front speaker not working?? The sound is coming from the narrow line at back of phone but surely must b front facing speaker also?? When on hands free loud speaker barely hear someone when I am talking. Any suggestions appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That line at the back is the speaker. There is no front facing speaker, premium phones carry these but not ones priced at a budget level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Are ye referring to the Cotech gel case or the leather cover? And wheres the best place to buy ?

Cotechs gel case I'd imagine and just look for "Cotechs gel case Smart Ultra 6 " on EBay.

Updated my su6 with the Turkish 5.1.1 rom. Was able to reroot, install twrp/ xposed etc. Seems very smooth so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Ya cotech gel case from eBay. Its not premium looking by any standards but it's a great fit and adds much needed extra grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

What's all this talk about the Cotech cases? Are they THAT good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

GvidoR wrote: »
    What's all this talk about the Cotech cases? Are they THAT good?

For the price? Very good, IMHO. Just a well fitted, slim tpu case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Hitchens

grange mac wrote: »
    Any issues with speakers on it? My volume seems to be louder in back of phone rather than front?? As if front speaker not working?? The sound is coming from the narrow line at back of phone but surely must b front facing speaker also?? When on hands free loud speaker barely hear someone when I am talking. Any suggestions appreciated
    No front speaker, rear speaker only, afaics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Just picked this phone up today, pretty impressed so far.worth rooting?

Definitely, just for adblocker alone imo, if you're more adventurous there's lots more you can do too.

Depends what you want from it. I don't need root.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

GvidoR wrote: »
    Depends what you want from it. I don't need root.

Just to get rid of these Vodafone apps really,some more customisation would be nice. Might wait a month and look into it.

• Advertisement

The Vodafone apps are easily uninstallable.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    You need to flash stock recovery first, then flash the Turkish ROM.

oh dear im shtuck, i dunno or have forgotten how to put stock recovery back onto phone - can anyone help?

oh dear im shtuck, i dunno or have forgotten how to put stock recovery back onto phone - can anyone help?

No panic, just follow the instructions here in the first post.

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375788-vodafone-smart-ultra-6-stock-roms-otas-and-recoveries/

uh-oh I think its getting bricked , I dont like the look of this. I installed the stock recovery, chose sdcard update the phone rebooted, loaded into recovery, with the robot, underneath oblong bar and said installing system update, and then screen goes blank!

Now I have cycle where I turn on phone and 'powered by android' white writing comes up and then the robot and then installing update and phone screen goes blank again.

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have broken the screen on mine, does anyone know anywhere that will repair it for me in Dublin. I tried it myself once before and suffice to say I will leave it to the professionals going forward.

Thanks

C

uh-oh I think its getting bricked , I dont like the look of this. I installed the stock recovery, chose sdcard update the phone rebooted, loaded into recovery, with the robot, underneath oblong bar and said installing system update, and then screen goes blank!

Now I have cycle where I turn on phone and 'powered by android' white writing comes up and then the robot and then installing update and phone screen goes blank again.

:eek:
    Hold down power and up and try get back into recovery to factory reset. If that doesn't work, try flashing again or install the twrp zip.

Hold down power and up and try get back into recovery to factory reset. If that doesn't work, try flashing again or install the twrp zip.

Thanks, I cant get into recovery now at all. When I hold vol up button and power it just comes up with that robot and installing update, wont go into proper recovery. If i power on phone why pressing volume down then i just get white 'powered by android' writin onscreen.

I reckon I shall have to look up on how to install twrp or stock recovery by ADB - although when I plug phone into computer now no phone shows up in 'my computer' and I doubt if this vodafone has a 'download mode' like the samsungs do when you hold volume down and power on - oh happy days!

I just wondering now if its because i tried to update turkey firmware with IE stock recovery installed?

EDIT: I just pressed volume up and down at same time as powering on - now phone shows in win8 device manager as RELINK HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (com4) but error 'device cannot start' - maybe i have to find right driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I have broken the screen on mine, does anyone know anywhere that will repair it for me in Dublin. I tried it myself once before and suffice to say I will leave it to the professionals going forward.

Thanks

C

Thanks, I cant get into recovery now at all. When I hold vol up button and power it just comes up with that robot and installing update, wont go into proper recovery. If i power on phone why pressing volume down then i just get white 'powered by android' writin onscreen.

I reckon I shall have to look up on how to install twrp or stock recovery by ADB - although when I plug phone into computer now no phone shows up in 'my computer' and I doubt if this vodafone has a 'download mode' like the samsungs do when you hold volume down and power on - oh happy days!

I just wondering now if its because i tried to update turkey firmware with IE stock recovery installed?

No I used Irish recovery to install the Turkish rom, when the android is on his back.
    Try this, its for a nexus but it should be the same for most/all androids

How to boot into recovery mode on a Google Nexus device

If you have a device like the Nexus 5 or Nexus 7 running stock Android then these are the steps required to boot into Recovery mode:

Hold down the Power key and select Power off. If the touchscreen is unresponsive then you can simply keep holding down the Power key for several seconds until the device turns off.
    Press and hold the Power key and the Volume down key. You should see the Android mascot on his back, a bunch of information about your device, and Start at the top right of the screen.
    To navigate through the menu options you use the Volume up and Volume down keys. The Power key is used to make a selection. Press Volume down twice and you should see Recovery mode in red up at the top right, press the Power key to select it.
    The white Google logo will pop up followed by the Android mascot on his back again with the words No command underneath.
    Press and hold the Power key and the Volume up key for around three seconds and then let go of the Volume up key, but keep pressing Power.
    You should see the Android system recovery options pop up at the top of the screen. Use the Volume keys to highlight the options and the Power key to select the one you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Evening guys.

Mrs. S currently has a Galaxy S4 and is hinting at a change. Would this be a decent upgrade, or should I maybe look towards one of the Moto models? Or maybe even a Chinese something?

Advertisement