Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Techmaster wrote: »
    Up to a day ago, they were selling the Ultra 6 for £100 in both colours. May be unavailable now due to popularity.

EDIT; they still do have it, shipping on the 20th, so not sure what you were looking at.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B013F8UIX2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1447758047&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=ultra+6&dpPl=1&dpID=41ViSJTc5zL&ref=plSrch

Unavailable again, must be flying off the shelves, I will keep checking back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

hmm, I just tried the OTA check for software updates on my phone. it says my current version is vdf-995NB01-IE_MR01d - i clicked on 'online update' and got message:

Attention
    Detect You Phone may rooted. (which it is) Normal OTA package may update failed. Do you want to check SDcard update package?
    (pidgeon english)

so I wonder if i am going to have trouble when / if lolipop 5.1 comes out if I download it OTA - so maybe I would be better off saving the firmware to the SD card and do it that way when it comes out. Dont want to brick the phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Holy Christ! This thing looks like a Computer!! I thought they were supposed to be making phones smaller not bloody bigger!! It's the size of a bleedin' Pencil-case! Don't know how to put in the SIM either. :(

Holy Christ! This thing looks like a Computer!! I thought they were supposed to be making phones smaller not bloody bigger!! It's the size of a bleedin' Pencil-case! Don't know how to put in the SIM either. :(

If phones were just used as phones these days they would have gone smaller, but people want to see movies and catch up TV on a decent size screen and view social media - you'l get used to it soon enough if you give it a chance . still fits ok in shirt pocket or get leather flip case for it - got to be better on peoples eyes rather than squinting at small writing and pictures on a small screen

How do I put in the SIM?

• Advertisement

How do I put in the SIM?

you should have a little chrome pin in the box. Put it into the hole on the left hand side of phone and sim try pops out - have you got a nano sim?

I've tried pushing the pin in but nothing pops out. :( Do ya have to push it in hard do ya have to lean to one side what exactly do you have to do.

Havn't a clue what size the SIM is, first guess would be a standard size SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I've tried pushing the pin in but nothing pops out. :( Do ya have to push it in hard do ya have to lean to one side what exactly do you have to do.

Havn't a clue what size the SIM is, first guess would be a standard size SIM.

Not terribly hard but a little bit of pressure needed. You'll know straight away if you need a nano sim if your sim won't fit the tray. If you do need a smaller sim just drop into your networks shop and they will transfer your number over to one free of charge and you'll be up and running within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mr170

Does anyone get a blue flash on there screen if they are watching stuff online

mr170 wrote: »
    Does anyone get a blue flash on there screen if they are watching stuff online

No but if you give an example I could check?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

The updates need to go through testing to ensure they are working smoothly with our software etc. so if there are any issues at any point, the updates can get pushed back. Current testing is almost complete, so all going well, it should be launched in the next week or two.
    GvidoR wrote: »
    Let's hope it's true this time.

I'm guessing this is an old quote and that we shouldn't be expecting an update 'in the next week or two'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

That was said on Monday so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

GvidoR wrote: »
    That was said on Monday so fingers crossed.

Oh right! That would be a pleasant surprise. One of the reasons I bought the original Moto G was the likelihood of quick updates. They made a song and dance over how they managed to get Lollipop onto some handsets before the Nexus. This was in early November 2014. It didn't arrive on my phone until late February 2015. I know they'll claim that they made no specific promises, but the gap between the rhetoric and the reality put me off Motorola. That, and some software problem on my phone that resisted all efforts at official repair and took rooting to sort out. For Vodafone to produce an update without making any grandiose pronouncements beforehand would be a win for them.

Techmaster wrote: »

Thanks man, yeah saying it will be back in stock on November 20th but wont let me order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Touch screen has become unresponsive. Left and right buttons work ok but middle button doesn't. Seems to be down the middle of the phone is not responding to touch. So any app or or text that i want to touch located in the middle wont hit. Texting or even entering pin to unlock is nearly impossible. I have closed all apps so nothing is not running in the back Anyone any idea what could be wrong or a fix?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

FrostyJim wrote: »
    No but if you give an example I could check?

I do.... Now and again. Very annoying.

I do.... Now and again. Very annoying.

Me too!! :/

Also, any YouTube embedded videos on webpages stutter when played. App works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Sometimes facebook app will take its time starting as well. - any tips?
    Have you setup your phone to access Facebook through Chrome?
    Facebook have done a great job of their mobile site recently!

Open m.Facebook.com in Chrome, in the top right of the browser, select the 3-dot menu and then select "Add to home screen". Chrome then puts the Facebook icon as an shortcut on the home page.
    Then, upon logging into Facebook on Chrome, it allows Chrome send you any notifications from Facebook the same as the app does.
    [url] http://www.omgchrome.com/how-to-enable-facebook-notifications-chrome/[/url]

• Advertisement

Have you setup your phone to access Facebook through Chrome?
    Facebook have done a great job of their mobile site recently!

Open m.Facebook.com in Chrome, in the top right of the browser, select the 3-dot menu and then select "Add to home screen". Chrome then puts the Facebook icon as an shortcut on the home page.
    Then, upon logging into Facebook on Chrome, it allows Chrome send you any notifications from Facebook the same as the app does.
    [url] http://www.omgchrome.com/how-to-enable-facebook-notifications-chrome/[/url]

Thanks - no I use the normal Facebook App from google play. I might try using m.facebook.com and see if its any better. it doesnt lag all the time just every now and again.

What is the best Site to buy Memory Chips please?

Also does this have a separate Loudspeaker? Or is it a case of just turning up the Volume real high / to the top? I recall on a former phone I had, ya could activate Loudspeaker separately someway and it worked great where-as if ya just turned up the volume higher it got really rattly but wasn't rattly when ya actually put it on Loudspeaker.

silver ones available again on amazon.co.uk. I just ordered one there, looking forward to it, heard mainly good things :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Amazing price, if the Euro wasn't so weak at the moment we'd be laughing! Still loving mine. Great piece of kit. Hasn't missed a beat.

silver ones available again on amazon.co.uk. I just ordered one there, looking forward to it, heard mainly good things :)

the silver ones look pretty cool in the photos - I had a white Sammy galaxy Note 1 phone in white and i much prefer it looks-wise to the black VFSU6

im looking for a free or reasonable camera app in the store at the moment which will add some kind of stabilization as it takes good photos as long as you hold it steady, one bit of a jog and the photo comes out a bit blurred and I like to take an awful lot of photos without using the built in flash. As far as I know this VFSU6 has no optical stabilizer built in whether hardware or software thats the only thing - anyone heard of good app to download with that feature

What is the best Site to buy Memory Chips please?

Also does this have a separate Loudspeaker? Or is it a case of just turning up the Volume real high / to the top? I recall on a former phone I had, ya could activate Loudspeaker separately someway and it worked great where-as if ya just turned up the volume higher it got really rattly but wasn't rattly when ya actually put it on Loudspeaker.
    android5_call_waiting_2_20141220.jpg?94b120
    First button on the left, ignore the arrow!

Sorry I meant like for music n stuff. What I'm probably thinking of from before was activating Speaker for Radio. I see you can activate Speaker alright here for the Radio too. What I was looking for was Speaker for listening to music files and YouTube Clips. It ain't no biggie anyway, the volume is good as is, it's just my thoughts would be that if ya could just turn on some Speaker feature directly it'd avoid any potential rustling/rattling/clanging that ya might get with going higher up the general up/down scale. Anyway, tis grand. It's quite sufficient for what it is. Even at about halfway on the scale volume is pretty good I find. It's just some songs are nicer higher on Speaker for added oomph plus it'd be handy for pottering around the house, but general up/down on the scale will suffice.

Jaysus that was some Essay, all I had to ask was does it have a Speaker for music! :o :pac:

Butttt, on writing, it does make me wonder, if ya can stick in ear-phones and turn on Speaker for Radio why can't ya do same for playing any music audio file or listening to the audio in a video-clip playing a YouTube video. But I know nothing about hardware or device-parts/manufacturing so maybe phone just doesn't have Speaker like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

The home button pulsing blue light is a great feature, you can see at a glance if you have a notification(s)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

im looking for a free or reasonable camera app in the store at the moment which will add some kind of stabilization as it takes good photos as long as you hold it steady, one bit of a jog and the photo comes out a bit blurred and I like to take an awful lot of photos without using the built in flash. As far as I know this VFSU6 has no optical stabilizer built in whether hardware or software thats the only thing - anyone heard of good app to download with that feature

An app isn't going to be able to fix that. In good light I've found pictures to be sharp. In lower light you need to be careful, but I haven't found that I need to be overly so.

Advertisement