Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

The phone is big alright (but so are all 6s)

I find the HTC One M8 & M9s very good. Particularly if you get the DOT cover (on Ebay).
    Good quality and not too bulky.

I don't use bags or dresses :):D - but no problem fitting in trouser or jacket pocket.
    My wife uses the M9 and it fits in her purse perfectly.
    (M* & M9 are virtually the same specs)

Good luck with the Sale of the Ultra

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Bravobabe wrote: »
    The phone is big alright (but so are all 6s)

I find the HTC One M8 & M9s very good. Particularly if you get the DOT cover (on Ebay).
    Good quality and not too bulky.

I don't use bags or dresses :):D - but no problem fitting in trouser or jacket pocket.
    My wife uses the M9 and it fits in her purse perfectly.
    (M* & M9 are virtually the same specs)

Good luck with the Sale of the Ultra

Thanks for the luck & recommendations! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Nothing Lol about it. My parents in their 70s don't use apps, don't have smart phones and a lot of my older friends don't use messaging apps either, I have them all viber, Skype fb messanger but have to send regular texts to about half my contacts. You assume everyone is young and tech savvy, not the case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

touts wrote: »
    Mine also moves to O2 when it can't fine the Three network. But it moves back again straight away.

The most annoying part of it is it thinks O2 is roaming so it blocks my internet access. Come on Three. Why can't you just merge the two networks??

But this is a network issue not a phone issue. I'm very happy with the phone itself.

There is a setting in android to enable data while roaming

for me its Settings -> Mobile Network Settings -> Data Romaing

Just remeber to turn it off when abroad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

After two months or so of having this, I can safely say that I regret buying it and I wouldn't recommend it. There are no decent covers available for it, the build quality is very cheap and flimsy and it's just a bit too big.

The screen is OK is terms of display but the glass is quite poor quality. I'm not mad about the button system either, both soft and hard. Anyone else feel the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Noticed that my ultra has what seems to be a dead pixel near the bottom of my screen. Its white in color and hard to spot unless your looking for it. This is a replacement screen Vodafone put onto my phone about two weeks ago. Don't know if the pixel was already there on the new screen or if it developed recently.

I honestly dont know if I should bother sending it off for another screen replacement or not. Being white in color and not black makes it hard to spot the pixel. I did run a few of those stuck/dead pixel apps which didn't fix it. I'm not having great luck with the screen on this phone between screen burn in and other weird artifacts on the screen. Thinking I'll flog it and buy something else at this stage to be honest. Moto X style might come early for me or I might try a Moto G 3rd gen.

Hi my own screen is cracked, do you mind if I ask was it replaced under warranty or out of your own pocket? Looking to see if it's more economical to fix our replace? Thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

jaqian wrote: »
    Hi my own screen is cracked, do you mind if I ask was it replaced under warranty or out of your own pocket? Looking to see if it's more economical to fix our replace? Thx

Replaced under warranty, my screen had screen burn in issues and weird blobs started appearing under the screen like melted glue or something.

Now my new screen has a dead pixel but its not noticeable very much so I'll keep it for now.

At €169 they are cheap phones and to be honest it might not be super economical paying for a screen versus buying a new handset. Contact Vodafone and get a repair quote, work from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Think this phone is brilliant for the price but one minor niggle. When I swipe up or down a grey shadow? appears at either end is this a feature I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Nothing Lol about it. My parents in their 70s don't use apps, don't have smart phones and a lot of my older friends don't use messaging apps either, I have them all viber, Skype fb messanger but have to send regular texts to about half my contacts. You assume everyone is young and tech savvy, not the case

Do them a favour and buy your parents ultras. My Mam is the biggest technophobe going. Hardly knows how to turn down the telly.
    I set aside a Saturday and set up gmail accounts for them, installed WhatsApp, Viber, entertainment.ie, bbc sport for the father..

They're delighted.. My Mam sends pics of her great grandkids to her sisters in oz.. Loves the phone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Think this phone is brilliant for the price but one minor niggle. When I swipe up or down a grey shadow? appears at either end is this a feature I don't think so.

Weird, not too sure what you mean here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Weird, not too sure what you mean here?

Overscroll effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Overscroll effect?

Think that's on all android phones since jelly bean

Overscroll effect?
    Think your right again just getting used to android cant see the point of it but thanks.

unreg999 wrote:
    I've just put mine up on adverts with some accessories (7 coloured cases & tempered glass screen cover)... I've been debating about it for a while but the icing on the cake was the last two weekends I went to two different weddings & left it in the car as it's just too big to fit into any bag I have & no pockets in dresses!

unreg999 wrote:
    I REALLY love this Fone, it's the best one I've had in 4 years including the s4 even when it was brand new!! But not having it with me when I'm doing stuff kinda defeats the purpose... Was the same deal at a few outings over the time I've had it! No fotos & missed calls & texts!!

unreg999 wrote:
    If there was a 5 inch version with the same specs I'd be so happy! Ah well back to the quest for the right Fone! Would be perfect for someone with pockets or a bigger bag!

unreg999 wrote:
    If anyone on here is interested, priority & discount given to boardsies as I have you guys to thank in the first place, unlocked of course & has box & receipt, pm me if interested

SOLD!! Got the asking price within a few hours, thanks for all the messages! :)

unreg999 wrote:
    I've just put mine up on adverts with some accessories (7 coloured cases & tempered glass screen cover)... I've been debating about it for a while but the icing on the cake was the last two weekends I went to two different weddings & left it in the car as it's just too big to fit into any bag I have & no pockets in dresses!

unreg999 wrote:
    I REALLY love this Fone, it's the best one I've had in 4 years including the s4 even when it was brand new!! But not having it with me when I'm doing stuff kinda defeats the purpose... Was the same deal at a few outings over the time I've had it! No fotos & missed calls & texts!!

unreg999 wrote:
    If there was a 5 inch version with the same specs I'd be so happy! Ah well back to the quest for the right Fone! Would be perfect for someone with pockets or a bigger bag!

unreg999 wrote:
    If anyone on here is interested, priority & discount given to boardsies as I have you guys to thank in the first place, unlocked of course & has box & receipt, pm me if interested

SOLD!! Got the asking price within a few hours, thanks for all the messages! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Wow, so many quotes.

Congrats on the sale though. Too bad this phone didn't work out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

After two months or so of having this, I can safely say that I regret buying it and I wouldn't recommend it. There are no decent covers available for it, the build quality is very cheap and flimsy and it's just a bit too big.

The screen is OK is terms of display but the glass is quite poor quality. I'm not mad about the button system either, both soft and hard. Anyone else feel the same?

I couldn't disagree more with everything in that post. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Do them a favour and buy your parents ultras. My Mam is the biggest technophobe going. Hardly knows how to turn down the telly.
    I set aside a Saturday and set up gmail accounts for them, installed WhatsApp, Viber, entertainment.ie, bbc sport for the father..

They're delighted.. My Mam sends pics of her great grandkids to her sisters in oz.. Loves the phone.

I work part time, can barely pay my bills, not buying anyone smartphones!

GvidoR wrote:
    Wow, so many quotes.

Yeah sorry didn't want to waste anyone's time on sending me pointless messages! Lol I'll try to edit some of them out now!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have a weird software bug in my Smart Ultra 6. It's not rooted (although I did install kingroot, which fails to retain root after a reboot. So it was uninstalled.) But my issue is that the device loses it's time and resets to Feb 1970 after a restart, cold booting is the same. Automatic update of time will correct the issue after a couple of minutes, but not before WhatsApp has a hissy fit about the time being incorrect.

I mentioned that I had attempted to root as I wonder if this has affected something. Not that this is a huge issue, but it is an annoyance.

Otherwise, fantastic phone, I've had it around 2 months now and it's fantastic. Best phone for the money I've had in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I have a weird software bug in my Smart Ultra 6. It's not rooted (although I did install kingroot, which fails to retain root after a reboot. So it was uninstalled.) But my issue is that the device loses it's time and resets to Feb 1970 after a restart, cold booting is the same. Automatic update of time will correct the issue after a couple of minutes, but not before WhatsApp has a hissy fit about the time being incorrect.

I mentioned that I had attempted to root as I wonder if this has affected something. Not that this is a huge issue, but it is an annoyance.

Otherwise, fantastic phone, I've had it around 2 months now and it's fantastic. Best phone for the money I've had in a long time.

Same thing happens me....not rooted and its always been the same since day 1

neacy69 wrote: »

Well that's good to hear. I reboot pretty seldom so it's not the worst. But good to know my messing with rooting wasn't the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Have you guys tried a factory reset, annoying I know but wonder would it make any difference?

Cheers,
    M

Quick on my battery i have Mobile Standby taking juice from my phone is this OK? And my network signal strength has a kind of exclamation mark on it not sure what it means any ideas thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I don't understand the first question but the exclamation mark means mobile internet is not working.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Quick on my battery i have Mobile Standby taking juice from my phone is this OK? And my network signal strength has a kind of exclamation mark on it not sure what it means any ideas thanks.

Mobile standby is expected, however if it is very high there might be some investigating to do to find out why...

As said that exclamation point mean that you have no data connectivity through your network.

Mobile standby is expected, however if it is very high there might be some investigating to do to find out why...

As said that exclamation point mean that you have no data connectivity through your network.

It's only used 6% of the battery since the last charge probably pretty acceptable I suppose thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Can you change the font on this phone without root access?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

neacy69 wrote: »

Yep, same here too. Never tried rooting.
    It doesn't happen every time I reboot - happens intermittently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Quick question, was thinking of getting one of these for my father, are they all still vodafone locked or can you buy an unlocked version from vodafone.

If i need an unlock code can anyone with direct experience recommend one and how to unlock it?

TIA

Advertisement