Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

GvidoR wrote: »
    Yes, I got it from eBay. It came from Spain and I got it very quick, less than a week.

Did you already post that link? Any chance you could post it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

neacy69 wrote: »
    Did you already post that link? Any chance you could post it again?

Nope, didn't post it before, but here it is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Magic-Glass-Protector-Pantalla-Cristal-Templado-ZTE-Vodafone-Smart-ULTRA-6-5-5-/351461639668?hash=item51d4bf05f4

Paid for it on Wednesday @ 9:30 PM, got it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

How do you the the battery to show %... It's so handy, I've looked everywhere for it in the settings but can't find it!
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

unreg999 wrote: »
    How do you the the battery to show %... It's so handy, I've looked everywhere for it in the settings but can't find it!
    Thanks!

I'd be interested in this answer too....

Also i think someone posted about how to switch the tap to wake back on?

neacy69 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this answer too....

Also i think someone posted about how to switch the tap to wake back on?

To turn double tap to wake on or off, go to Settings > Display.

I think you need a 3rd party app for battery percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Vodadone just confirmed in the talk to section that 5.1 is in testing at the moment and will be released in the next 2 weeks!

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057467977/2/#post96909335

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Vodadone just confirmed in the talk to section that 5.1 is in testing at the moment and will be released in the next 2 weeks!

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057467977/2/#post96909335

Is there much in the difference between the two? Any significant improvements?

Im v happy with the phone at the moment so I reckon i'll wait and see how people get on after upgrading...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

unreg999 wrote: »
    Thanks!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.kroegerama.android4batpercent

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭clickhere

corwill wrote: »

If you swipe down twice from top of screen you can see your battery percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I tried to root my phone last night - sweating all the time hoping that I didnt soft or hard brick it! - anyway tried KingRoot apk file and that didnt work, then hooked it up to Laptop and used KingRoot exe app (in chinese it was) but it actually rooted the phone ..... however when I reboot it looses the root as if its only a temporary root not a 'full root' - then tried kingoroot and failed and that said phone was not supported, then Cydia impactor which just stalled at 'testing' and wouldnt go any further. So im still not properly rooted.

Note to Mod: if you think this is not suitable post for bargain alerts then I dont mind if you want to move it to 'android' discussions , but I just thought I would let others know on the bargain alerts just in case they were considering buying the phone and considering rooting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

clickhere wrote: »

True, but with that app, no need to swipe!

if I manage to root mine I will be able to install xposed framework, then gravity box for lollipop and one of the features in it will show battery percentage all the time next to the battery symbol in the top bar

has anyone seen the soft gel cases for sale in Ireland for the smart ultra 6 ? seen plenty on ebay for very cheap but they are all located in UK - think I saw one on one irish website but whereas the ebay ones are around £3 the irish ones wanted €15 euro for one!

has anyone seen the soft gel cases for sale in Ireland for the smart ultra 6 ? seen plenty on ebay for very cheap but they are all located in UK - think I saw one on one irish website but whereas the ebay ones are around £3 the irish ones wanted €15 euro for one!

If you want a clear one, I can send you one for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

clickhere wrote: »
    Try that gesture with a two finger swipe. It'll save you having to swipe twice.

Try that gesture with a two finger swipe. It'll save you having to swipe twice.

Wow, thanks for the tip. Didn't know this. :)

Well I've had mine a few days now:

Im happy with the camera - takes lovely sharp clear bright pictures. The built in stock camera app is very good with loads of manual features that I would wonder if you could even get on a high end phone let alone a budget handset. - I personally have installed another camera app called camerafv5 from the market because Im used to using that and I like it. even though the camera takes up to 13mpixel photos, I have chosen 10mpixel because 13mpixel is 4:3 and i like widescreen (especially for landscape pics) and we have slow upload on broadband so 10mpixel uploads a bit quicker, and I very rarely print my phone camera photos so 10megapixel resolution is enough or more than enough for my particular needs.

Sound: my particular experience is that the speaker volume (for the speaker at the back of the phone is too low in my opinion for ringtones notifications etc, and I would have liked it whereby that you could select one or 2 more levels even if it meant a bit of distortion.

The earpiece: - well I got a call the other day and the other person sounded like they were talking with a sock stuffed in their mouth - it was by no way clear and when checking my voicemail it was muffled, maybe coming from samsung phone where in the settings it had something in the settings for clearer call maybe thats what I was used to - dont seem like there is any settings on this ultra 6 to make phone call quality clearer.

The colour of the screen - lovely colours, I like the colours on the screen, my wife reckons they are a bit too punchy and bold. On my samsung it had some kind of dnie setting or something for the screen colours, you could choose automatic to match picture/image or choose bold, natural or movie colour settings. I havent found any settings like that on the ultra 6 yet. Maybe it was just a thing built into the samsung touchwiz system only.

Battery: I have found the battery to last really good - i am no heavy user by any use but i can get to end of day and still have 20% left whereas my previous samsung would have run out much earlier even with battery saver installed and things like bluetooth and 3g turned off and brightness down - so yeah I am really impressed with battery life so far.

Charging LED light (blue circle on home 'button') : - I am being picky here and its only my personal preference, this will not be an issue with most people because it works absolutely fine - but I would rather as you are charging up the phone:

To either have a red circle light up at bottom of screen as you are charging and turn blue when battery fully charged

or to have a Blue slow flashing circle as you are charging and a solid blue non flashing circle when battery charged

or Blue circle when charging and no blue circle and no lights when its fully charged.

or seperate multicoloured LED light above screen (or next to micro usb socket) and flashing red when charging and off or green when charged
    Notification LED (blue circle on home 'button') :
    I would like to see this flash very fast (millisecond) once every second to indicate missed call or unread SMS message in blue

or multicoloured light on the home soft 'button' for notifications that flashes very fast (millisecond) once every second for missed call or unread SMS and have it so you can choose say green for missed calls and yellow for unread SMS message.
    As for the home button, my samsung had a 'real' Home button and soft back and menu button - I think at the moment I prefer the 'soft' button on the Ultra 6 better - strangely my samsung buttons were in different place to this ultra 6 so on the samsung the 'back' button was on the right hand side of the phone and on the ultra 6 (and on many other phones) the back button is on the right hand bottom left of the phone so this is something I am particuarly having trouble getting used to, but I will get used to it in time I suppose.

Talking of navigation buttons at the bottom of the screen, my previous samsung phone had a 'menu' button on the bottom left on the row, so it was Menu - Home - Back on the ULTRA 6 it seems to be 'Back - Home - Recents soft buttons ... but no 'Menu' button?!? .. - most applications on the phone have a '3 dot' menu button at the top right of the screen to activate a menu which it is fine if it has but I have a couple of android apps that dont have the 3 dot menu at the top of the screen so I am not quite sure how I can activate the menu if there is no menu key at the bottom row of navigation buttons on the ULTRA 6 ? - also on the samsung you had the menu key on the right and a long press on the middle 'Home' button brought up 'recent apps' or 'task manager'

Other Buttons: - not mad keen at the moment with the power button and the volume keys being on the same side (right hand side of the phone) I personally would prefer power key on right hand side and volume keys on left or volume keys on right and power key on top of phone or left hand side of phone, but again thats my personal preference and I keep pressing the volume key thinking its the power key most times to put it into standby (ie turn the screen on or off)

SD Card insertion - personally I dont like to have a 'tool' or paper clip at hand to actually remove the SD card from the phone - but at least you dont have to shut down phone and remove battery just to remove or replace SD card like you have to with some phones on the market.

Sim card - they could have easily made this phone use a micro SIM card instead of a Nano one - the night I got my phone I had to put my sim in from my samsung which was a micro sim and nowhere was open so I had to hack my card with a pair of scissors to fit the sim into the ULTRA 6 and it also means now if something happens to the ULTRA 6 and I want to go back to using the SIM back into my samsung phone now Im snookered! - diddums eh? :)

Battery: - personally I dont like phones where you cannot take the back off easily and remove the battery, especially as in the past my mobile phones have locked up and I have had to take the back off me phone wait for a few seconds and put battery back in to get working again, what am I supposed to do if it freezes and even a long press on the power button dont work - just wait for it to die down over a couple of days? :)

Vodafone Update: - yep one came through yesterday on my phone it said VDF-995NB01-IE_MR01d ... whatever that is? - no indication of what it fixes or enhances on restart it all looks and feels the same to me. Maybe it was sorting some bugs I dont even know about.

Software:
    I do like fiddling when I get my phones its part of the fun isnt it, customising it just the way you like it and doing things it werent designed to do 'out of the box' - well a couple of times on my samsung I have mucked things up and I have had to re-flash the ROM, no problem with the samsung phones - I just do a combination of power and volume keypress as phone starts and im easily into download mode then put ODIN flasher and then plethora of different samsung roms available on the Internet and Cyanogen Mod roms (which I love ) so I am just wondering at the moment how I would get on with this ULTRA 6 should I need to have to re-install the ROM at any time after mucking it up and if a factory reset dont cure it. I havent looked yet but I am presuming there is not as many vodafone ROM's available to download as there was samsung, and I suppose I cannot install cyanogen mod 12 or whatever on this ... I dunno maybe I can.

Anyway bottom line is that I think the phone is fantastic for the price and I am more than happy with it - when I think in the past how much I have paid in the past and they have been no-where near having a camera quality like this and the speed of an 8core processor and the other features that the Smart Ultra 6 - My daughter last month saved up a huge amount of money and bought a One-Plus_ONE because all her mates were raving about it, I think she paid 269euro for it, Ive had a play with hers, its nice but ... well to be honest I like my Vodafone Smart ULTRA 6 better to be honest and the Vodafone Ultra was only 170euro compared to her phone .

GvidoR wrote: »
    If you want a clear one, I can send you one for €5.

Have you any black one?

Have you any black one?

Nope, just this one.

I tried to root my phone last night - sweating all the time hoping that I didnt soft or hard brick it! - anyway tried KingRoot apk file and that didnt work, then hooked it up to Laptop and used KingRoot exe app (in chinese it was) but it actually rooted the phone ..... however when I reboot it looses the root as if its only a temporary root not a 'full root' - then tried kingoroot and failed and that said phone was not supported, then Cydia impactor which just stalled at 'testing' and wouldnt go any further. So im still not properly rooted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Why not just use wondershare mobilego?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Can anyone help me please? A while ago I was having a problem with the fone in that if someone rang me when I was already using the fone I would get the drop down notification to say a call was coming in but it wouldn't ring and then I would get an error message saying 'the fone app has stopped working' and I would have to select 'ok' which would end the call...
    I could then ring the person back...
    The problem was that I couldn't answer calls, the fone wouldn't ring so if I didn't see the call coming in then I had no idea someone had rung!

I had to factory wipe the fone & reinstall everything to stop this happening... I thought it was sorted, but now it's happening again!!

Has anyone also cone across this problem or know of any fix please??!

Thanks!

Never heard of that til now. Thanks I will give it a go later on this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Have you any black one?

I have the pack of 10, all colours available @ €5 each posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I have the pack of 10, all colours available @ €5 each posted

Have you a pink one?

OK tried Wondershare mobilego oneclick root 3 times on it this evening took ages each time and each time failed to root - so strange. I turned on debugging, accepted all requests from PC, unticked the verify app that can cause harm. The nearest I come to rooting is with KingRoot , it roots it but only seems temporary because when I restart phone again root is lost!

I have managed to freeze some vodafone apps whilst its rooted and after restart although I loose root the VF apps are still frozen so thats one thing. I wonder if the VF update I downloaded the other night is stopping it from being properly rooted , maybe they put something in the update to avoid rooting permantly maybe? - or could the fastboot be locked or something on my phone?

the only other root tools I havent tried yet is framaroot and SuperOneClick, wonder if I should give them a go. - I didnt like the way that wondershare one click root installed a dr something program and at one time, test camera came up on screen, and then another time it even dialled my voicemail number!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I picked this up on Saturday. Very pleased with it. As others have said, in hand it's a bit slippy and it's so light that it feels like a cheap phone, but the performance is amazing. Really liking the stock android too. I have a Nexus tablet, so I've always preferred the vanilla experience.

What I really liked was the Tap & Go option in the set up. Means there was no farting around looking for wifi settings, finding apps or anything else. Brilliant. I know that's not unique to this phone but it's the first time I've used it.

The biggest leap ahead of the LG G2 is the call quality.

Camera is good, nice sharp pictures on Sunday in overcast conditions, so happy enough with that. I find it focuses much faster than the G2 too.

I bought the VF branded wallet style cover in the Vodafone shop for €25 and it's just awful. Feels cheap and nasty, doesn't act as a stand or anything. I've had better covers from Amazon for a lot less money.

Are there any bricks and mortar shops in Dublin (pref D2) selling skins for it? Or even a better standard of wallet type cover? Going away on Friday and would prefer to have a skin type cover on it instead of the one I bought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Have you a pink one?

Hi, yes I have a Pink one, and also Yellow, Green, Red, Orange, Purple, White, Light Blue and Dark Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I just ordered this on Sunday evening and am waiting on it to be delivered today.

Battery: - personally I dont like phones where you cannot take the back off easily and remove the battery, especially as in the past my mobile phones have locked up and I have had to take the back off me phone wait for a few seconds and put battery back in to get working again, what am I supposed to do if it freezes and even a long press on the power button dont work - just wait for it to die down over a couple of days? smile.png
    In regards the battery issue above I had something similar happen on my old Xperia T and whenever I popped out the sim card it used to start into a reboot cycle. Not sure if this will also work with the VSU6 aswell?
    Software:
    I havent looked yet but I am presuming there is not as many vodafone ROM's available to download as there was samsung, and I suppose I cannot install cyanogen mod 12 or whatever on this ... I dunno maybe I can.
    I read somewhere yesterday that some guys on XDA have got this booting into a different rom so some progress has been made there but could be a while yet before CM12 or so is available for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭otterj

How do you automatically download apps to the sd card? also how do you sort apps by most used instead of alphabetically?

Advertisement