Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Smart ultra 6 Owners Thread- apps, tips & tricks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deneva

Very undecided on this or Moto G gen 3, Smart Ultra 6 £125 from Amazon, plus about £4 to unock from EBay. Moto G £149 sim free factory unlocked from Tesco. On Tesco mobile network at present, but will switch to either EE or Carphone Warehouse new ID in two months when teso contract ends. Have had original Moto G for past 20 months with no problems, but fancy something with slightly bigger screen etc. Do not really want to root the phone, any views on pros v cons on either. How easy is it to remove Vodaphone on screen branding.. All advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kinanoman

Just wondering has anyone tried an SDXC in the phone? Planning on buying a 128gb microSDXC but questioning compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

kinanoman wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone tried an SDXC in the phone? Planning on buying a 128gb microSDXC but questioning compatibility.

Out from the box it won't work, but you'll have just to format it in the phone.

SDXC means it comes formatted as exFat, and majority of phone don't support it due to licencing cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭touts

Have had this phone for a couple of weeks and very impressed with the performance in comparison to my last phone (Moto G 2nd gen). It has a great screen. Very quick and smooth flipping between apps etc. Downloads on Wifi seem much faster. I'm on three and had no problems unlocking it and switching it over.

The only things that concern me are
    - The volume button and power buttons. They feel light and maybe even a bit loose. I'd be worried about them lasting the lifetime of the phone.
    - The screen is very sensitive when on a call do a couple of times my cheek has put the phone on mute etc. But I had this problem on a Samsung in the past and just got in the habit of holding it slightly differently. But it would be great if phones were better able to overcome this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Moving a few apps over to my SD card makes the phone reboot and this strange screen comes up, just a bunch of lines going down one half of the screen on a black screen. I then need to keep my hand pressed on the power button to reboot it again. Very strange but only happens when I move a few apps to SD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Are these in stock now in Dublin City Centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Soarer wrote: »
    Are they dual sim?

What is the fascination with dual sim phones ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭biebiebie

s8n wrote: »
    What is the fascination with dual sim phones ??

I presume it's the ability to use 2 sims simultaneously?!
    eg.
    One for business, the other personal
    One for data, the other for voice
    One as a main provider, the second as a backup provider for redundancy purposes (high availability).
    One home sim, the other a foreign "roaming" sim
    One for the wife, the other for your mistress

I'm sure there are many more valid scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

grogi wrote: »
    It is a missed entry in framework-res.apk... If you're brave, you can mod it according to instructions in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/mod-loose-roaming-r-mvno-home-network-t2969702

Is anyone going to chance this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Deneva wrote: »
    Very undecided on this or Moto G gen 3, Smart Ultra 6 £125 from Amazon, plus about £4 to unock from EBay. Moto G £149 sim free factory unlocked from Tesco. On Tesco mobile network at present, but will switch to either EE or Carphone Warehouse new ID in two months when teso contract ends. Have had original Moto G for past 20 months with no problems, but fancy something with slightly bigger screen etc. Do not really want to root the phone, any views on pros v cons on either. How easy is it to remove Vodaphone on screen branding.. All advice appreciated.

The 3rd Gen Moto G in Tesco is the low spec variant which only has 1GB RAM (and 8GB ROM). It has a smaller screen than the Smart Ultra (although this might suit some) and it only has a quad core processor. It's a good phone and a good price, but imo the Smart Ultra is the better phone and better value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

jgbyr wrote: »
    Volume down & power button together

not working for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Took a little longer than expected, but here is the full review on the Smart Ultra 6.

Like I have said before on here. Amazing phone and a complete market killer at this price. Really does make you wonder what the hell your spending 400-500 euro on for a smartphone.

http://geektech.ie/review-vodafone-smart-ultra-6/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Thor wrote: »
    Took a little longer than expected, but here is the full review on the Smart Ultra 6.

Like I have said before on here. Amazing phone and a complete market killer at this price. Really does make you wonder what the hell your spending 400-500 euro on for a smartphone.

Camera

Probably the only feature that does blow us away . The 13MP is a solid performer, but we are still spoiled by the insane performance that Samsung, Sony and others offer with their flagships.

The images are clear, with great detail, but again, the performance is not on the same level you would get from a true flagship device from this or even last year. Again, at this price point, we doubt anyone would be shocked, and performance is in no way bad, but there are some balance issues with the HDR mode, that were’t present with the smart prime 6, so not expected with bigger sibling.

Typo ?

oleras wrote: »
    Typo ?

Indeed, nicely spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

Indeed, nicely spotted.

Nicely spotted with the game changer too, didn't want to be a prick. ;)

Good article.

oleras wrote: »
    Nicely spotted with the game changer too, didn't want to be a prick. ;)

Good article.

They were already fixed, but the page cache had not updated yet. I normally correct typos long before it goes live, but the review took longer and I only got some afterwards and the page cache wasn't updating.

Your comment actually helped me spot the issue with the cache. So cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

sweetie wrote: »
    not working for me

Hold the buttons down for a second or more...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Are these in stock now in Dublin City Centre?

I got mine on Saturday in the shop next to the Spire on Henry St. And the bloke I dealt with said they'd only gotten a new batch of them in the day before so they could still have a few left.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

Thor wrote:
    Thor wrote:

Great review. Good site also, I hadn't heard of it before but it's been added to my bookmarks now :)

Went into Vodphone shop, wanted to look at one first,none in stock. Not very helpful at all, They dont sell Moto G, very pushy sales person pointing me towards Samsung phones, despite me insisting I wasn't interested,, puts me off having anything to do with them. Plus apparently if I unlock it the warranty is void.

• Advertisement

DanC90 wrote: »
    Great review. Good site also, I hadn't heard of it before but it's been added to my bookmarks now :)

Cheers man, i appreciate the kind words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

What do reckon is the best way to root the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

DanC90 wrote:
    I got mine on Saturday in the shop next to the Spire on Henry St. And the bloke I dealt with said they'd only gotten a new batch of them in the day before so they could still have a few left.

Got sorted in Grafton Street thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

I think I'm going to get this too.

Nice site Thor. Have it saved for reading later :)

Thanks for the advice, I can see the Ultra 6 is possibly a better buy than the Moto G,but I'm thinking a manufactor sim free is going to be a better buy, after reading up on here,definitely don't want to get into any form of rooting any phone,tried it many years back on a Orange San Francisco and bricked it. Didn't realise there is a 16 GB and 2gb ram version of Moto G, bit more than I wanted to pay at £209, looks a good buy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks for the advice, I can see the Ultra 6 is possibly a better buy than the Moto G,but I'm thinking a manufactor sim free is going to be a better buy, after reading up on here,definitely don't want to get into any form of rooting any phone,tried it many years back on a Orange San Francisco and bricked it. Didn't realise there is a 16 GB and 2gb ram version of Moto G, bit more than I wanted to pay at £209, looks a good buy though.

There's a one click root solution further back in the thread. Can't get more straight forward than that. Much better buy than the moto g IMO.

An unlock code is €5 on eBay, you don't need to root it at all to unlock or remove start-up screen.
    Why buy the Moto G 3rd Gen for nearly €300 when you can get this for half the price nearly? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

The Moto G from Tesco will probably be locked to Tesco UK. I bought the first gen Moto G from Tesco direct and it was locked. There was a simple ebay unlocking option for that but you would have to wait to see if that was available for the 3rd gen model. So from a network locked pov, the Smart Ultra is the better option as there is a definite unlock option for that for a fiver. You don't need to worry about rooting either phone. You don't need to root to unlock.

• Advertisement

bajer101 wrote: »
    The Moto G from Tesco will probably be locked to Tesco UK. I bought the first gen Moto G from Tesco direct and it was locked. There was a simple ebay unlocking option for that but you would have to wait to see if that was available for the 3rd gen model. So from a network locked pov, the Smart Ultra is the better option as there is a definite unlock option for that for a fiver. You don't need to worry about rooting either phone. You don't need to root to unlock.

The Moto G gen 3 is listed as sim free on Tesco Direct for £149, and able to use on any network,that was what drew me to it in the first place. only 8 GB of mem and 1 GB of ram, so no need to unlock. It's reviews are good but reading about it on here and other places most seem to say go for the 16 GB and 2 GB model.Only seem to be able to get that direct from Motorola, at £209. Smart Ultra 6 looks OK, don't like it being loaded with all the Vodaphone branding and bloatware, looks straightforward to unlock,but not so easy to get rid of branding etc. Moto G a more expensive option, but needs no sorting out.

Advertisement